This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

who all likes original paint??!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Embellem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 1:10pm
It's the age old question and I don't know if there's a right answer. I personally prefer original if it's in somewhat decent shape. Those scratches and patches of surface rust are remnants of a tractor's untold history of daily usefulness...

...or maybe I'm just lazy and the "history" thing is a good excuse to not do anything
Sponsored Links

John D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 1:22pm
Here are some of our 1964 D17 series 3 we got this fall. Our plans are to just repaint the rims and grill. The rest looks good to me!

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 1:25pm
While I do like original, most of the ones I end up with are non original rust. Kind of hard to make them look decent unless repainted.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:04pm
You guys are making me feel bad.... I'm repainting mine for my grandmother. It sat out all it's life and didn't look the best and I want her to be able to see it the way it was when she was a little girl. only around 1000 original hours on it. keep those originals lookin good!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:10pm
How's this for original paint...?

sat there for 25+ years...

took 3 weeks of tlc and it came back to life.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:52pm
I have been debating repainting my 7050. The wheels for sure need paint. Don't have any pics on my computer yet. Just old fashioned pictures. Here's one of my brother's XT Landhandler. The front weight was painted white a few years ago otherwise it's untouched.

-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:59pm
Hey Jason.... you have got the best collection i have ever seen .. hope to stop by next fall also ...
michael

Edited by michaelwis - 13 Dec 2010 at 3:01pm
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 3:20pm
 I know its not original (green) but the tinwork was repainted in the early 30s to look like the newer tractors.  I thought of repainting it but the patena has really grown on me.

Edited by split51 - 13 Dec 2010 at 3:21pm
1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
kev/ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev/ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 7:09pm
Personally, I like to see them however you are willing to present them, painted, original or restored, at the the of the day he (or she) who own's the tractor gets to decide how it will be presented. All the rest of us can do is appreciate the work that goes into keeping an original tractor looking good or the back breaking sweat that goes into building a trailor queen. Best of all Noone is right or wrong it's a free country.
RickUP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 7:22pm
I perfer original everything, paint, if it looks decent and most is still there. Cars or tractors, I'm hooked on original. Just me.
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 7:59pm
I would not paint a good one but when buying tractor from the south they are usually not in very good shape alot of welds and find alot more wrong when you sand blast
back to metal.
This is the best one out of the bunch that will stay as is.
D 15 high crop
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:03pm
Anybody that has talked to me knows I am a sucker for original tractors.  Dont get me wrong, its nice to see a perfect paint job but, original tells me more stories!

Jim

This is our 1963 series III, not the greatest paint but she has 8000 hours on her too.
This tractor has been on the farm since new, we have repainted the wheels and grill.

This is my WD45 and drill.  I did overhaul the motor this last year and had to paint the engine due the fact that there was not any paint left.

Our workhorse, the 190XT series III.

One of my newer toys, this one is about half original paint.

My series I D15 fresh from the farm.

Dads 1953 WD.

The 170 and 185.

1948 WC, this tractor is a sweetheart to drive.

This is another "been here since new tractors".  Not the greatest paint, but she has alot of hours under her belt.

My D15 is pulling the wagon in this shot.  It has also had the wheels and grill repainted.

Sorry Andrew but you opened up a can of worms for me! lol  I will try to post some friends tractors that are original.

tommc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:14pm
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:25pm
Here is my '28 Allis still working.
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:51pm
I got into the hit & miss engine hobby with my grandfather's Galloway sawrig before I got interested in AC's. I guess it was a combination of appreciating the way the old original engines looked, along with grandpa's WD that I inherited that's led me to love the original look. Here's Papa's WD along with a B that I bought last year.

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:57pm
Andrew, That unstyled WC with the canvas rad cover is my most favorite picture every on this forum. There are tractors with more original paint around maybe, but that WC and the drill it was hooked to are special. Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 10:37pm

Nice picture Phil.

1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
David KY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 6:32am
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 8:57am
These are two originals that Dad and I have found the 185 has just under 1000 Hours and the 7000 has 1600 Hours.
D14 that my grandpa sold new
This picker still has the dealers name painted on the center snout where it was sold new
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:56am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

How's this for original paint...?

sat there for 25+ years...

took 3 weeks of tlc and it came back to life.

Edited by AC WD45 - 14 Dec 2010 at 10:57am
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
AndrewGubbels View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewGubbels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 12:18pm
Here is my favorite one we have.   It is an earily 200 with factory canopy.  I did paint the wheels on it.  Very fun tractor!!  Also my little 5030 it has 1600 hours on it and just a little cream puff.  I love all the photos!!! They all look wonderfull!!

Andrew

Andrew Gubbels
Gubbels Restoration
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 8:29pm
Sorry but I was gone to a New Holland meeting the last couple days so I am playing catch up!  I thought I would post some of the nicest originals I have seen.

WD45 Vegetable

One amazing 185.

This is my friend Bruce's 1958 D17 Diesel

Not A-C but find another original like this!

This one was used by one of our customers until about 6-7 years ago.  They traded it in on a 8030.  The Buttjer's of Charles City gave it a good home.

This is one of the best gems I have ever seen.  This UC was used for farming one year then put into storage!  Notice the tires?

Of course not original paint, but how bout the tires! You dont get any better than this!

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 8:57pm
Jim, was that picture of the 45HC taken at Richland Center,Wi.?  It just kinda looks like the lay of the land at that show. Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 9:21pm
This is exactly where it was taken.  Loren Durst owns the tractor.

Jim
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 9:37pm
unfortunately in many parts of the country unless they are kept inside they start rusting quick.   I love a nice tractor in original paint.  Reminds me of how they looked when I was growing up and they were less than 20 years old.

Some tractors got to sleep under a lean to roof.  Rarely were they washed or repainted.  In summer they mostly sat out.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic