This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's wrong with my fescue sample??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bradleytrench View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's wrong with my fescue sample??
    Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:33am
Took my A2 to the field after finishing getting it switched over from beans to fescue. Which is changing the cylinder drive sproket, putting concave bars back in. Found a bearing about to go out. Replaced it. Closed the cieve and shoe down. I was cutting in 1st gear. Dad made me speed up to 2nd gear full variable speed and this was the sample.

1 WD45D, 1 A2 GLEANER, Wd w 33mounted corn picker
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:01pm
I know Bob thought the old man had lost his mind helping him with in-field setting the old AII to cut fescue and then I said to keep speeding up he had to be thinking now the old man is just trying to plug the cylinder. lol 
Now all Bob needs to make the job go faster is to find a 16' head (over the 14' he now has on it) so he can get over more ground in a day.  I know Bob was happy to hear the big farmer next door to the field he was cutting said that was a better sample than his much newer John Deere puts in his grain tank. It's nice to see a 50+year old combine work so good! 
GOOD JOB Bobby!
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:15pm
Looks like an excellent sample to me .    The  60's all crops where good grass machines also
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 6:58pm
In my "mind", it just seems bass ackward to clean-up a sample with increased ground speed Geek. 2 seasons ago I posted our dilemma with dirty soy sample in the F2, consensus was to drive faster LOL!!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 7:09pm
Combines work best at capacity. Drive faster puts more through it at a constant RPM. At least according to my Stueckle book.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 7:23pm
About 40 years ago, I worked one year for a guy who sold certified seed. That sample looks like what we put in the bag after it went through the cleaner. Maybe better.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 7:52pm
Its clean for sure! The weather is sure playing he'll with it,, at .65 a lb good money in those sticks
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 9:17pm
Bobby, Now I am not a good judge, but that sure looks like seed that has been across a fanning mill!
Awesome! Sometimes those old dad's do know a thing or two! 
Glad your showing those big green guys a thing or two also!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:07pm
Thanks for all the responses. Was going to move to another field and cut but mother nature has decided to blow it all out.

So i guess ill switch over to wheat and go cut wheat. Which is just a few minor adjustments akd off i will go. Bobby Mo
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 3:56pm
I think we need some combine pictures too.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

I think we need some combine pictures too.

Thumbs UpThumbs Up
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 5:01pm
Is the A/A2 a sprocket driven cylinder? Dad ran an "A" up until '92 when he "upgraded" to a straight F with a 4/30 corn head and a 13' platform. The belt drive cylinder threw him for a loop as well as the adjustable fan speed (in cab).
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 6:33pm
How about a couple of videos.
https://youtu.be/uDAdFuW5QqQ
https://youtu.be/xPAPKlhi5sM

Edited by Bradleytrench - 27 Jun 2019 at 6:35pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Is the A/A2 a sprocket driven cylinder? Dad ran an "A" up until '92 when he "upgraded" to a straight F with a 4/30 corn head and a 13' platform. The belt drive cylinder threw him for a loop as well as the adjustable fan speed (in cab).

The A2 (serial number 32000 and up) is both belt and chain driven cylinder. The belt runs from the seperator clutch to a variable speed pulley. The variable speed pulley is adjusted by turning a wheel inside the cab. The variable speed pulley will let you adjust the cylinder speed around 150 to 200 rpm.

The variable speed pulley has a #60 chain sprocket attached to it. The cylinder has a changeable sprocket on it like a straight A. When changing crops, you have to change the driven cylinder sprocket. For fescue, I think its a 22 tooth sprocket I'm running to get around 1250rpm cylinder speed. For lets say soybeans, you would run a 84 tooth sproket to slow it down to around 300rpm.

But the variable speed lets you fine tune the thrashing as the day goes. Tenp and humidity change a combine.

Today running the fescue I adjusted the sieve and shoe once added some more air buy adjusting the doors on the fans. As the afternoon went on. It clouded up and humidity changed so i cranked on the wheel and speed the cylinder up a little more to do a better job thrashing.

I hope it makes since to you. I'm no expert combine operator. I've only had this thing over a year. Bobby MO
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 8:44pm
 That there looks like you're flyin Wink
[TUBE]xPAPKlhi5sM[/TUBE]
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 12:54am
[TUBE]uDAdFuW5QqQ[/TUBE]
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic