This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 smoke at startup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan/silex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:39am
Dan,,,,, I was just curious as to what cost $5000 to do as I also have a wd45 motor to rebuild...but if that what it takes to overhaul one then im going a different route. if that price included every single thing he could replace then that a different story. Not being critical just curious as I have been following his progress though this whole thing.
WD's and 45's B's and c's and a few red ones , ALLIS EXPRESS also
Sponsored Links

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:59am
Bryan you can get a engine overhaul kit for about $900 that includes pistions rings sleeves and all the seals. I just bought one for my d17 last fall. I had to buy a crank as mine had already been turned the max and was damaged. That was $600. I had $900 in machining total that was a head rebuild and cleaning the block. I would go through the distrubitor I think that cost me an additional 150 because I ended up having to get someone who was old enough to remember when they rebuilt them in the past look at it. I was ready to put it in a box and ship it off to steve at B & B when I found someone local who fixed it while I waited. That is the major costs I can think of at the moment. A running motor is alot cheaper but I figured that was really just another used old motor who knows how long it would run and I use my tractors to farm with still.
79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:15am
Took the head off and it's setting at machine shop right now. I watched him take it apart. He said yep its getting lots of oil down the guides. Looking for NOS parts right now. He said he don't really see how anything will help it but putting on seals.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:18am
Go over to the supplies page and try calling around there for a set. I haven't has to track them down myself but I am sure there are several supplies on the list here who use the parts themselves and can get you a good set.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:19am
I was very particular about this build and it was my Grandpa's tractor. I wanted everything 100% correct to have a long running engine. Hopefully all will be well when the head issue is corrected.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:34pm
For the heck of it popped the valve cover off of my old engine. It had Ford style valve seals!
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 2:21pm
The machinist is flat out wrong about the valve seals, if they can't get it to run proper with new unworn parts you need a new shop.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:00pm
There's an old allis dealer in Cincinnati Ohio that still runs a machine shop. They will know and can fix it right. Suder engine service. Talk to Joe. 513-385-8444.

Edited by Dans 7080 - 17 Feb 2017 at 3:02pm
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:15pm
A year back we decided to rebuild the head on my 45, so my son who had the head shop did it. Valve stems were worn, guides were worn so we decided to replace both. So with new guides we took four real good used 302 valves, four real good used chevy valves with the new guides and built the head. I don't think he would have done it for someone else but he did it for me because he knows Joe and I think alike. Anyway, it runs like a champ. Would I suggest that someone else do it like that? Not hardly, but it does show that if done correctly you can get by with a lot, and that is what it appears that the machine shop did not do. I don't care how much a person thinks they know, if they don't put their heart into their work it will be poo.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:50pm
My WD is by no stretch of imagination new. No valve seals and does not smoke on start up. Something does not add up here. Hope this turns out o.k., Trev.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:17am
NOS parts have been found, bought, and on the way!! :)
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:30am
All the NOS parts in the world won't help if idiots are doing the work. I would venture to say also that the vast majority of rebuild kits that are not NOS will work just fine and dandy in the hands of someone who has two active brain cells.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic