This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 smoke at startup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 5:53pm
It seems to me, that you would get a faint bit of smoke all the time it was running, if it was leaking around the valves, and it would go down on oil.
Sponsored Links

79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 5:55pm
Forgot to mention I took the valve cover off. I can move the valves side to side in the guides.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by 79fordblake 79fordblake wrote:

Forgot to mention I took the valve cover off. I can move the valves side to side in the guides.

Well they won't get stuck on you...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:09pm
For the last two weekends I've been going backwards. I think I'm gonna have to step away from it for a couple weeks and work on a different project.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:42pm
I've been talking to the machine shop. They don't seem to think I have a major problem. They said they would look at it if I pulled it back off however. I think it's probably cheap China parts that are already at MAX SPEC. Which is no good to me. I didnt spend $5000 just for the hell of it. Blue smoke at start up is a smack in the face!
Any Allis mechanics out there with a machine shop that can make this head the way it's supposed to be?

Edited by 79fordblake - 11 Feb 2017 at 9:47pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 10:17pm
just for giggles, what type of motor oil are you using?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 10:40pm
Bet your shop will try to get you to let them install seals or re knurl the guide bores, I'd have them replace the bad parts (vales or guides) even if they installed new parts and you might remove the springs after the head comes back home and check the re-work. My shop knows not to use China junk in my engine re-machining.   
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:19am
My FIL's 45 was doing that also after we redid his engine. I suspected the valve guides were the issue. At first there was a little puddling on top of the piston. It wasn't really an issue with him but it bothered me. This was last spring when we got it finished and has since ran the piss out of it. It has since stopped or lessened since. It doesn't use oil like it did before. It would drop a quart and then stop using any more. My WD does the same thing and I have never figured out why.

He is happy as a clam with it because of the increased power and just overall good.
He bought it new in 55 and farmed with it for years. Better than it ever was and than some.

He uses JD oil and will not use anything else...period!
I don't know what the viscosity is but according to him it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:36am
I'm using 30w break in oil. I was going to switch to 10w30 afterwards.
Hey Don where do I need to send this head to get good parts if it don't work out with this machine shop? I can get valves and guides from Sandy Lake. Anybody know if the ones they offer are still made like originals?
I know a few of you have said it's normal to see maybe a little because of the design of the engine. But I haven't seen any WD or WD45 do this at all of the shows or pulls I've been to unless it was a worn engine. Heck the old engine I took out had no telling how many hours on it...getting down to almost no oil pressure and starting to have a little noise in bottom end....still no smoke on startup.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:04am

Knurling the guides would probably cure the problem. I bought a '69 Torino new and within 17,000 miles it burned a valve. Ford fixed it under warranty; knurled the guides and replaced valves. I was apprehensive but I drove it to 144,000 miles and never had a problem.

However.....in your case, after having spent all that money for both new valves and guides, I would not settle for less than a complete new head job....done right! They should really compensate you for your extra work as well!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:08am
I completely understand the WTH is this after spending 5K on something.
It's getting hard to find anything that is not made in china.

You may find some NOS parts still around. Machine shops that are worth a chit are far and few between around here anyway.

As you said before.....step away from it for awhile. What you need will fall in your lap in time if you are paying attention if that makes any sense.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:37am

I'm using 30w break in oil. I was going to switch to 10w30 afterwards.
Hey Don where do I need to send this head to get good parts if it don't work out with this machine shop? I can get valves and guides from Sandy Lake. Anybody know if the ones they offer are still made like originals?
I know a few of you have said it's normal to see maybe a little because of the design of the engine. But I haven't seen any WD or WD45 do this at all of the shows or pulls I've been to unless it was a worn engine. Heck the old engine I took out had no telling how many hours on it...getting down to almost no oil pressure and starting to have a little noise in bottom end....still no smoke on startup.

I understand you being all pi$$ed off at the shop, I have a story that might help you see what might have happen to your head. back over thirty years ago we had a new guy come to town opened a engine rebuild shop and after two or three months he stopped by my tractor repair shop to have me look at some heads he had come back to him for rework.
So I pulled all the valves out and looked at the new guides and valves he installed all the guides had way to much wear inside them and after a short talk about how he did the work we found the trouble he had in the rebuild, he was just blowing the new guides out and not washing them and running a brush in them and then oiling the valves before installing the springs. This was in the good old days before China junk was a problem.
I'd go talk to the shop and find out just what they cleaned the head out with before putting it back togather. To find a good shop to take your head to I'd look around for the local race shop and have them work on it, might cost more up front but save you money in the long run. Good luck and if you don't find a shop I can tell you about my shop. FYI I do most of my head work in-house, know just what was done to them.    

Edited by Don(MO) - 12 Feb 2017 at 9:38am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 10:33am
I would drop the break in oil and try rotella 15-40 before I tore it down... It is very frustrating to do that much and spend that much and have an issue, been there for sure. Hope it turns out o.k., Trev.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 11:40am
You know Brian, he has more money in his motor that you probably had in the whole '69 Torino. I tell you I'd be jumping up and down having a fit if this was my motor and I'm a real calm type of guy. LOL I wish my son was still in the biz. He knew what he was doing and was dead honest with his customers. That was probably one of the reasons he closed the shop and went to work for  another guy. He said he enjoys the less stress. Other than what Don said, which is a real possibility, 
I'm getting real suspicious that they kept your new guides and said they put them in. Not saying that's what they did but it does happen. It's either that or they screwed them up. I don't know how much you can move them but with new guides and valves it should very very little. Think about how satisfied you'll be when you whip this thing.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:13pm
I went to the best machine shop in my area. I'm not sure they understand how critical this part is on this engine design so I don't have the puff of blue smoke when I start it. They told me to bring it when I can. Right now my check book and me personally just ain't ready for that. Fixer1958 most of this build was done with NOS parts. I never found NOS valves and guides. Anybody know if the valves and guides from Sandy Lake Implement will be just like the originals? They sent me some pics but I don't have any pics of NOS ones to compare.
I have all new bearings and seals to rebuild the final drives. Also have new brake drums and relined brake shoes to put on. Also still wanting to complelty go through the front end to get it all tightened up. I've been working on this project every weekend for 10 months now.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 2:17pm
I know where you can find most or maybe all the NOS parts for it. PM me if you need them.

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 4:44pm

I went to the best machine shop in my area. I'm not sure they understand how critical this part is on this engine design so I don't have the puff of blue smoke when I start it. They told me to bring it when I can. Right now my check book and me personally just ain't ready for that. Fixer1958 most of this build was done with NOS parts. I never found NOS valves and guides. Anybody know if the valves and guides from Sandy Lake Implement will be just like the originals? They sent me some pics but I don't have any pics of NOS ones to compare.
I have all new bearings and seals to rebuild the final drives. Also have new brake drums and relined brake shoes to put on. Also still wanting to complelty go through the front end to get it all tightened up. I've been working on this project every weekend for 10 months now.

If you can move the valve stem in the guide side to side you don't have China junk! You still have your old valve guides plain and simple.  China junk will not wear that fast. Even if they were made out of hot or cold  roll steel. Someone is blowing smoke up your skirt.

If they would have happened to be new they were out of spec. What kind of shop would put in new valve guides without checking them first.  The clearance between valve stem and guide spec is .0025 to .0045. New would be real close to the .0025. Not detectable side to side installed.     I would hope it was a screw up rather than the way they do things.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 5:58pm
I agree Dick. They never gave me an answer on the valve to guide clearance. I don't think it was checked.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:05pm
I would go in and have a heart to heart with the owner. Tell him your not happy with the work they did and there are two choices they take it back and make it right with no charge to you or you will take your machine shop work somewhere else form now on. A good shop will stand behind their work a bad shop you want to leave behind.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:17pm
Yeah I know this just kinda complicated everything and alot of extra trouble. The place is about a hour away and they are closed on Saturdays. I work 10hr days sometimes 12 and they are not very forgiving on leaving work to do things unless it's an emergency. I'll have to use some of my vacation days just to get this done. When I get this figured out I'll make sure I report what happened.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

It seems to me, that you would get a faint bit of smoke all the time it was running, if it was leaking around the valves, and it would go down on oil.

Not necessarily. If only the (or an) exhaust valve is leaking past the guide there would be very little leakage while the engine was running. Reason being there are exhaust gasses blowing the minute amounts of oil back up to the top of the head. When the engine is not running this oil could ooze down to the valve or into the cylinder.
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:23pm
DickL is right on the money,you cant move a valve side to side with good guides by hand, you need a dial indicator to measure the clearance,if they move side to side they are your old guides still.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:29am
To get as much slop as he indicates, I suspicion now that they may even have used the old valves. Look at them real close when you pull the head and they won't look polished like a new one even if they were cleaned up. Did you take them NOS valves and guides? If you did and they didn't put them in don't let them dump off some Chinese junk on you.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 8:21am
I'm taking a vacation day Friday and I'm taking the head back to machine shop and I want it disassembled and clearances checked while I'm there.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 1:57pm
The shop should admit to having put a total rookie on this job...what machinist would install a head full of parts without checking clearances BEFORE the parts are installed?? They owe you a 100% free upgrade on this one including all gaskets needed!! Do they care at all about their reputation?? In the old days reputation was local... in today's age reputation goes worldwide in seconds!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 7:11pm
Probably didn't use the new guides and stuffed the new valves and springs in. How you going to know any different? Get any old parts back?

I didn't get any old guides back but got everything else. Gave the chit head the benefit of the doubt. I know better but didn't.
bryan/silex View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan/silex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 7:55am
just out of curiousity,,,,id like to see parts prices that got it to $5000 just for the engine
WD's and 45's B's and c's and a few red ones , ALLIS EXPRESS also
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 7:55am
Blake, I sure hope you get the satisfaction you deserve out of this.  I have that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Bet you wished you'd of sent it to Don to get it done now.  Hind sight......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:19am
2K just for machine work. NOS pistons/sleeves. Rebuilt distributor. New manifold. New clutch kit. Thermostat housing, water pump, NOS governor fork, new bushings in timing cover etc etc.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 9:07am

2K just for machine work. NOS pistons/sleeves. Rebuilt distributor. New manifold. New clutch kit. Thermostat housing, water pump, NOS governor fork, new bushings in timing cover etc etc.

You have to ignore some of the guys on here when the topic of coat comes up. Alot of them have the tools and skills to do the machine shop work themselves and don't consider how expensive it gets for those of who are not mechanics or Machinest.   I have spent so much on my d15 I am pretty sure I would be better off dollars and cents to have never bought it. But I do like the old tractors even if they are expensive and burn alot of gas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic