This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 smoke at startup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 12:23pm
And that motor is DESIGNED for them.
The AC is NOT.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 12:33pm
I'm reading all these posts and I'm wit' Don. Take the Tractor out and run the piss o' of it. Work it hard and seat the rings. That's probably all thats wrong wit' it. If it runs nice and only does it on the first start, I would put it to work for a few hours and then see what it does. Might be fine...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 1:52pm
Put it on a dyno warm her up good first them load her up good and hard, watch the blow-by, if it heavy the rings are not seated if the blow by is good them look at the head.
If it turns out that the guides are letting oil by before you just replace parts find the trouble, yes the guides can be to-low or valve stems/guides have wear. If the shop didn't replace all the parts in your head that you where billed for I'd look for a better shop.
Find the problem first, then open it back up and fix what's wrong.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:05pm
I figure rings are already seated. No blowby at all with oil fill cap off and cap on valve cover off while running. Heck I don't know. I'm about burned out on the project now.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:38pm
Very frustrating when you have spent all that money... It does not seem to be a common problem on any of these old engines. With the high flow higher oil pressure you might have an oil bath like second to none under that valve cover?? Would be interesting to hear what you find once you start it with the valve cover off. I once had a 149 cu. in. A-C with exactly the same start up blue puff problem. The previous owner had over hauled the block but not the head. What solved my problem 100% was that I cleaned off the top of all the valves and valve springs thoroughly with ether and rags...then smeared (not excessive) Ultra Grey Silicone to seal from any oil going down the stems and voila... never ever had any blue puffs again. A year ago I had the head off my WD and I did the same thing just to be sure, but it did not previously have that problem anyway.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:04pm
I don't see how the full flow could be getting THAT much oil to the head. There's only a 3/16 line feeding the head and that line is split so some of the oil goes to the governor. There should be more than enough space around the pushrods to drain the top end.

Also with that baffle installed, most of the oil I deflected down to the head AND the head is sloped down to the pushrods. The only oil getting to the valves has to run down the arm, then down the valve guide.

The top of the valve guides is almost level with the valve cover surface. You'd have to have the whole head almost overflowing with oil to pool and run down the guides. I don't see that happening with half of a 3/16 oil line.

Did the machine shop ask for valves when they worked on the head? My shop had me give them a valve to make sure they got all the tolerances correct.

You said you were pulling plugs. Can you narrow it down to a certain cylinder? I wouldn't really know how though. It's pretty hard to see in there without a borescope or something

Edited by Allis dave - 06 Feb 2017 at 3:06pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:17pm
Could it be a crack in the head that expands when it warms up and doesn't leak as much warm?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:51pm
The head was checked for cracks but I don't guess that really means anything. Machine shop ordered all the parts. The old valves were still in the head when I took it to them. I have all the old valves, springs, seats, guides in a box. I contacted machine shop. They told me to let them know what I find when I remove valve cover. I'll crank it and look down valve cover to see how much oil is moving around. After that I'll take valve cover off and look at everything. Then I'll crank it with cover off. More than likely I won't have anymore info until Saturday. I don't feel like doing much after I get off work during the week. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm trying not to lose my mind over here lol. This thing has been a project for almost 10 months now messing with it every weekend.

Edited by 79fordblake - 06 Feb 2017 at 4:52pm
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:56pm
All I can say is I feel your pain. My d15 has been like that. It has fought me tooth and nail and now the loader joystick valve has something wrong because it will randomly dump all by itself and I just rebuilt the curl cylinders because the seals where shot. Hang in there you will get it eventually. That is what i keep telling myself.   
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:08pm
I completely rebuilt my WD engine just the way you did, spent about $3500. No rocker arm baffle, no valve seals, everything tight and square, full flow conversion, and I've never so much as seen a single puff of smoke since it was rebuilt. Something was done wrong, either an incorrect part or clearance. Sometimes you have to build and check them yourself twice to catch the little things, and it could be a very little thing causing it. Keep at it.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:15pm
I just went out and pulled the plugs. All dry, no oily residue. Those D17 pistons are thirsty. I checked my gas level it used quite a bit. I had it on the disk yesterday for about 2hrs. 3rd gear slinging dirt. Varying throttle back and forth and at times wide open. I checked oil no loss that I can detect.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:19pm
Yup about 3.5 gallons an hour and haying mine uses every bit of that. But I haven't seen a tractor with the same hp rating that can do as much work either.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:56pm
Is there a chance you are getting some oil out of the air filter at start-up, that is causing the smoke?
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:43pm
There's a good thought.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:32pm
I would think finding oil on the pistions after it sat with the motor not running would rule out the air cleaner.   Beside the one time I over filled one of them enough to suck oil back to the motor it didn't want to start very well not enough air would be my guess I just remember my d17 didn't start well and it took me a while to realize I over filled the oil bath air cleaner that was years ago.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:27am
OK.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:35am
The service manual has the specs of how far the guides should be pressed in. I'd take docs advice and check that out. Mine are just a little under the valve cover surface. I don't know if that's to spec. That's just where the shop put them. and I haven't ran it yet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:14am
Just for the heck of it I'll check the air cleaner oil. I took it all apart and cleaned and refilled cup before I started it. I'll also take a look at valve guides when I get valve cover off.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:15am
Sometimes new aftermarket valve guides aren't knurled. These engines need knurled guides or they will suck oil in.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:21am
They had knurled guides even when new?
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:53am
I same problem on our WD. Was more of a pride thing than a real problem but I dug back into it and found that the after market guides had a huge chamfer on the I.D.  that I had paid little attention to upon assembly.  I made up a piloted spot face tool and  turned the top of the guides flat then chamferred only enough to remove the burr, been running good w/no smoke at start up for 10 years now. Its an easy check to see if oil down the guides is the problem. Remove the manifold after it has set a day and look at the valve stems. Dark stain and some dampness is OK, but if any of the stems are wet with oil thats your problem,
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:16am
A-C intake guides always had a spirol pattern inside them. They also had a tee-pee shaped top (not flat top) for oil to run off the guide. Also a correct pressed in height.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:54am
I'd be calling a patent lawyer if I was you. You say you keep burning oil and the level never goes down. That's awesome! Perpetual energy!!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by 79fordblake 79fordblake wrote:

They had knurled guides even when new?
Yes
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:24am
those plugs look a little white to me,,,,should be a light tan color,,,,i would want that girl a little richer if she were mine

my grand pappy always told me he liked to see a little oil consumption like what you have because it told him the top end was getting a little oil and it helped with longer life

but i also think a brand new motor shouldn't smoke anytime,,,,me thinks there is a valve guide clearance problem,,,,,enough to to worry about ,,,, maybe not,,,but i have to agree it would have me pissed,,especially on a brand new high dollar motor

my .02

ocharry  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:37am
It's only showing oil smoke on start up. And no like I said the oil level has not went down yet. I doubt burning a little oil at start up is going to lower the level any that is noticeable for awhile. It's still on the full mark right now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:39am
DRAllis would you happen to have a picture?
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:42am
Id say the guides probably are not quite correct for this application.   Now its a matter of do you want to tough it out and fix it or live with it as its not gonna be a huge isssue, but will always be there.   You could put some valve stems seals on and improve it alot, or replace the guides with different ones-problem is getting the correct ones.  Back in the day when we worked on a lot of these engines we always put valve stems seals on the intake valves.  We had a special tool to cut the guide to accept positive valve stem seals-worked real good and the reason for doing so was to eliminated blue smoke at start up.   Good luck Blake.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:49am
Lol I think you know the answer to that. Noway I'm going to deal with this. I'll find NOS valves and guides or have these aftermarket guides modified to work correctly.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 5:24pm
Cranked the tractor this morning. Blue smoke out the exhaust. Used it 3hrs mowing today. Ran great and not one puff of blue smoke the whole time. Turned it off when I got done and let it set about 15 minutes. Cranked it up....blue smoke out the exhaust.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic