This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 smashing spark plugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

3/4 reach plug still aint sticking out past pocket . Piston would hit head before hitting electrode even in your picture.  You have a projected tip in the d17 and a non projected tip 3/4 in the other head. no back peddling  you with another picture wich makes a visual case of all three designs proved what I was saying. even used a gasket to show where the fire ring or sleeve edge is. Three Allis heads three different plug pockets which one does the guy have who knows .Rod B do you know? So the general statement plug would hit back of the plug hole on one of the three before hitting the piston on any of the three is correct . ps I have a 37 wc head that even has a different plug window also so really four AC designs. Would you like a picture of it

you really aint that bright!!  Same head, same 2 plugs, and gasket sitting on plugs to illistrate the plugs stick out of the head.

Notice air gap from head to gasket.  Go back and read my first post here.  Piston can't hit, now you try and agree only to tell me that I am backpedeling.

Point is that a 3/4 reach plug will NOT hit the head, and that you can not open the gap to hit the head like our pankey tries to tell us earlier.  It sits in the pocket in a D-17 head, it protrudes into the cylinder on a WD-45 head. 
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by sks72107 sks72107 wrote:

Here we go again, perhaps wii50 will chime in and help things out.
I suppose I could but all I see one fella makeing sense and showing it, and the village idiot saying that the plugs will mash, then saying that they will only mash with the gaps opened and then finally saying that they can't mash......... or maybe something of the sort.  But I really don't care.  Same saga, different topic, same outcome.

I been really busy and haven't spent much time on the puter, but I see I haven't missed anything.

Edited by wi50 - 04 Apr 2012 at 4:09pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 4:21pm

Ok, to ensure photography isn't making things look like they really aren't, how about laying a straight edge across all those pics of plugs in heads and re shoot? If the plug clears the straight edge, that pretty much answers the question. Maybe it's just me, but the pockets don't look like they're all the same size (volume).

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 4:23pm
they  can mash  and will mash on the head but not by a piston If the ground strap was turned to the back side of the 45 head with a projected tip from a plug manufacter that runs the longer projection on 3/4 reach it can still be mashed .  The plugs in Rob picture are non projected and the heal of the ground strap is visible . Turn the heal to where it tightens heal of strap not visible and the electrode gap visible from underside on a long projected tip 3/4 and watch what happens. Also since some village idiot pullers are on here . If you are running index washers and are turning the gap toward the exhuast valve to ring out every bit of power you will want to use the 3/4 plugs . cause the stacked washers will pull the elecrode into the threaded plug hole area on the head . Just look at the head in my picture with the 3/8 projected plug then imagine adding a washer for indexing . rod wi your wrong as usual.   
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 5:36pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 5:55pm
Hey Brian,
there's 2 different heads in Rod's pictures, he points that out in the captions, the first one is of a D-17 or Gleaner E type.  The second picture is of a WD-45 type.

If you had both heads laying side by side you could see the difference (I just went and looked for myself).  In a later D-17 type the plug sits up in the head in a pocket.  In an earlier WD-45 type the plug pocket extends, or is machined through and that pocket extends closer to the valves.  That is why the tap can be threaded in from the chamber side in a 45 type head.  That is also why the plug can't hit in the 45 type heads, I bet there's about .100 room around the tap in that picture.  One can also see that the same reach plug will not hit or bottom out in the later D-17 type heads, that 3/4 reach plug does not extend into the pocket like it will on an earlier one.

I've actually welded the end of the pocket in a 45 head to allow use of a larger valve where I would not have had to weld the end shut in a later style head.

Like I said, same saga, different topic, same outcome. 

Edited by wi50 - 04 Apr 2012 at 5:57pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Hey Brian,
there's 2 different heads in Rod's pictures, he points that out in the captions, the first one is of a D-17 or Gleaner E type.  The second picture is of a WD-45 type.

If you had both heads laying side by side you could see the difference (I just went and looked for myself).  In a later D-17 type the plug sits up in the head in a pocket.  In an earlier WD-45 type the plug pocket extends, or is machined through and that pocket extends closer to the valves.  That is why the tap can be threaded in from the chamber side in a 45 type head.  That is also why the plug can't hit in the 45 type heads, I bet there's about .100 room around the tap in that picture.  One can also see that the same reach plug will not hit or bottom out in the later D-17 type heads, that 3/4 reach plug does not extend into the pocket like it will on an earlier one.

I've actually welded the end of the pocket in a 45 head to allow use of a larger valve where I would not have had to weld the end shut in a later style head.

Like I said, same saga, different topic, same outcome. 
the plug is not a projected tip. a projected tip extends  .210 or  more depending on the brand  . Heck if its mashing the tip just put a surface discharge plug no ground strap no mashing.   Some are to challenged to realize the different plug styles.

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Apr 2012 at 6:36pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:03pm
Valve must have been bigger than 2.08
Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:18pm
mlpanky, you answered a question for me about the plug threads causing pre-ignition. Would threads protruding into the combustion area be subject to a carbon build-up?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Scott(SC) Scott(SC) wrote:

Would threads protruding into the combustion area be subject to a carbon build-up?

Yes and the carboned up threads can make a mess out of your tapped hole in the head when you force them to come out. I know threads have been ruined doing this and the only way to get the plugs out without messing up the head is to pull the head off and clean things up from below.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 04 Apr 2012 at 7:27pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:40pm
Yes carbon will build. But usually plugs in a performance arena get changed often so build up isn't much of a issue. Some plugs have a projected body. Means even though the threads don't extend past tapped area a smooth unthreaded portion of the body does which will carbon also.taking notice of plug design differences and trying them separates some from the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 9:29pm

Yes carbon will build. But usually plugs in a performance arena get changed often so build up isn't much of a issue.

My Performance arena is 3.5 acres north of my house and the plugs haven't been out of the 45 in probably 10 years. If it ain't broke... it starts on the first bump and starts at 98 or 15 degrees F.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 3:23am
wow.
oldchalmersiron View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchalmersiron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:29am
It looks like the plugs have sparked a smashing debate. ha ha.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:18am
Quite a debate isn't it.  But there is no way that plug can hit that head on our WD-45 in the topic.  Won't matter what plug style or tip, it can never hit the head.

This picture is of a 45 head, with a 3/4 reach plug taken at an angle to show how much room is around the plug.  In even a later head it still will never hit no matter what style plug is used.

So pankey, go look at some of these parts, your pictures prove nothing to any of us other than the fact you will continually argue about something you know nothing about.  WI was right in saying same saga, different topic, same outcome.

ps. Are you planning on pulling your hot rod this year, I see some big valves in that head you are posting pictures of? 

Edited by Rod B - 05 Apr 2012 at 7:26am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:32am
The pictures plural proves that the plug ground strap will come to a better chance of  being mashed by the back side of the pocket than it would by hitting a piston . My first statement my last statement. 4 styles of plug pockets It can hit in all plug pockets but one the 45 stlye pocket in your picture if it hasn't been layed back and is original. The post proves two yahoos  can't recognise allis heads or the different styles of  plugs  being that no Leroi head has been shown in post to date. Wd head in my picture has a 2 inch valve with 11/32 undercut stem  with 392 hemi bronze guides in the picture it's a old out dated dry flow bench tested head . D17 head had 5/16 valve stems undercut to mm with custom guides .We moved on to mm stem sizes custom bronze guides so we can sing the engine without the need of going away from a flat tappet lifter due to spring pressure to keep heavy valve train components from floating when engine hits a full song and wet bench testing for checking to see if plaster mold design changes of port helps or hindered  . Wet or dry benches are like dynos . Never should be used for anything but a reference as starting point and a grade card at the end to measure progress. When one checks someone elses work numbers usually get conservative . When testing to sell ones work numbers tend get liberal by person running test equipment.

Edited by mlpankey - 05 Apr 2012 at 9:38am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:51am
Big night hitting the magazines again huh pank.

I rember that you could not move the pulling sled.  Was it camshaft issues?  Now I know why you gave up and sold your parts when WI started posting. Those locals  down there must have some tough Farmall H's and John Deere B's and Allis WC's.  Those pulling results show the great pankey a long ways behind.

When are you going to get your hotrod running and make us that video that you promised?

Sorry, amuseing myself again.  And again.
FredinInd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredinInd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 12:12pm
Just got back to the forum after two days gone. WOW, what a whizzing contest......

Edited by FredinInd - 05 Apr 2012 at 12:13pm
Oh well, I won't do that again!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Big night hitting the magazines again huh pank.

I rember that you could not move the pulling sled.  Was it camshaft issues?  Now I know why you gave up and sold your parts when WI started posting. Those locals  down there must have some tough Farmall H's and John Deere B's and Allis WC's.  Those pulling results show the great pankey a long ways behind.

When are you going to get your hotrod running and make us that video that you promised?

Sorry, amuseing myself again.  And again.
The Outlaw engine would spin the tires when throttle was called on at will not hooked to nothing in fourth gear. That pull the sled is notorius for being hard to start and we didnt get her started in 4000lbs Dad got sick and I had to get him out of the heat or we would have weighted up  and got the sled moving in heavier class.   I dont know what pulling results your talking about . Do you have any results for you? Been pulling against 77s 88 and 880s 460 ,a moline and one H with auminum wheels he blistered them at tunica and got DQed . You must be looking at several years back results when we run a 301 cubic inch motor div3. Chads A was the only deere I remeber being far behind and it was built large .
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:35am
You guys have me laughin. I'm down in Columbia Mo. For the NATPA champs right now. 2 weeks ago I was out in Lincoln Ne for that pull. This pank fella is quite the man at these events. There are actually people who know him........like the Brad Paisley song "so much cooler online"

I figured after months and 10,000 views of alienating himself when I posted some pics in the Crossbreading thread he'd learn to think before posting.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:44am
Yeah we like for you and rob to get out of the stands and pull with us in the south. I have to post all the spark plug head test I have done and conclusions so You and rob can learn since thats all you guys read and do.

Edited by mlpankey - 06 Apr 2012 at 8:46am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:16am
Something just came to mind while reading some of these replies.

Clap LOL Hug
LOL
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 10:48am

Yeah we like for you and rob to get out of the stands and pull with us in the south. I have to post all the spark plug head test I have done and conclusions so You and rob can learn since thats all you guys read and do.

So are you pulling this year?  If so it would be easy for you to make us that video and show us.  Or are you inviting some of us for no good reason.

For a guy who a year ago could not understand to the point he offered WI50 $200 to see his cylinder head and is now talking about wet flow, dry flow, plaster moulds, etc. you must be trying to learn.  Or trying to fill unknowing souls with bs.

I liked the story about 5500 RPM, then 6500, but pictures of junk parts, a flywheel that would explode.  4th gear stories, 5 hooks on an engine and it blows up, and now these stories.

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:28am
Ok, back to the original question. Farrell, did you find out what was going on in that engine? Carbon? Rust chunks? Mud wasp nest?
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 3:46pm
To the poster who keeps bringing up the bet wi declined to accept. For one more time .it was to show that wi was exaggerating his cfms. If he had accepted and he hadn't been exaggerating he would have received 200cash and his head back.He didn't accept because he knew he exaggerated and whenever tested his head and published the findings he was going to owe me 500 for having to deal with a person who exaggerates the truth.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:13pm
Geesh....
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:16pm
The ignorance shines. First off there is no way anyone would trust pankey. He's been caught lying. He'd never tell the truth and he can't test the head anyway.

Wi offered to send the head to a reputiable shop and pankey declined.

Wi is useing the thing. Why would he put his tractor on hold for a measley $200? He ran it many times since.

He posted these things and pank knows this. But the stupidity and jealousy of pank are once again showing.

Why would pankey keep skateing around my question of when we can see him run?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:15pm
yes I can test the head . i apologize to the original poster seams i have two stalkers that try hard to discredit my work but it is what it is  and they arent foolin knowledgeable people on the site.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:34am
I love it. Pankey gets cornered and keeps backpedelling.

But he still will not let anyone know when and where we. can see him run after publicly posting he was going to make us a video and show all of us.

You can't test the head. You can pay someone to do it though. Too stupid and lazy to figure it out for yourself even after WI gave detailed description and pictures.

Relax pankey. After all I am only amuseing myself at your expense.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 9:37am
Your a idiot rod with a man crush in wi. If you were to pull your head from wi rear end who knows what the environmental effects from the breaking vacuum would be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic