This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Hydraulics/3 Point

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake_g6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Hydraulics/3 Point
    Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 4:00pm
Hey There, 

So this is my first go round with an older tractor. I bought some property and it came with. The tractor runs great, however I can't quite figure out the 3 point. I can get it to go up and down, but it is either all the way up or all the way down. I have a cultivator that goes far too deep when all the way down. Has anyone had this issue? Can i just chain the arms from going down further? Open to suggestions. 
Sponsored Links

dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 4:48pm
Some of them have a depth stop:

Not that this is the right one (I'm not familiar), but illustrates the concept.

Edited by dfwallis - 27 Aug 2024 at 4:49pm
1952 CA13092
jake_g6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake_g6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 4:54pm
Yeah this one doesn't. I have looked high low left and right. As soon as t he control arm near the steering wheel get below half way it slowing starts going down and won't stop. If i go up in the slightest it begins to raise back up. If i go down lower it simply lowers faster.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by jake_g6 jake_g6 wrote:

Yeah this one doesn't. I have looked high low left and right. As soon as t he control arm near the steering wheel get below half way it slowing starts going down and won't stop. If i go up in the slightest it begins to raise back up. If i go down lower it simply lowers faster.

Seems not too difficult to make an adjustable bracket that can set the stop depth if you can't locate one.
1952 CA13092
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 5:20pm
Not difficult at all to adjust the screws on the hydraulic pump itself to have "HOLD" position in the center of the hand levers stroke. There used to be a large decal on the side of the battery box showing you how to set the pump for whatever job you're doing. Also the owners manual has this information.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 5:46pm
There is a detent in the quadrant. It takes some time with the hydraulics to be familiar with it. Move the lever up and down and see it you can feel it. But as was said find out how to set the pump. I have a loader on my with a diverter valve so I can use either the loader or the rear implement. If I want either one to stay at a certain height I which the valve to the other one. Shuts of the pump to that one and it stays where I put it. Maybe not right but it works for me.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 5:48pm
A CA also has a "quadrant" lock bolt that you can use to control the lever travel.  Don't know if WD/45 has that or needs it (given the apparent detents, but they seem too sparse).

Edited by dfwallis - 27 Aug 2024 at 6:29pm
1952 CA13092
dkattau View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkattau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 7:33pm
Sent you a PM
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 9:34am
Of course the good Doctor is correct.
Unfortunately, most original tractors and even some "restored" tractors no longer have that chart on the side of the battery box.
So......here is the chart as shown in the owner's manual.
BTW, the detent is located here rather than on the Quadrant.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 10:30am
Thanks for correcting me Brian.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 10:37am
guage wheels an option?

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 12:30pm
all Allis cultivators had gage wheels because the system is not designed to hold the lift arms at a given point. If you have a 3pt cultivator hooked up with an adaptor to the snap coupler hitch you will not succeed unless you have gauge wheels. I adapted the gauge wheels from a 4 row AC cult onto a RG6-30 Deere as well as the AC hitch. Very light on the front.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 28 Aug 2024 at 12:33pm
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 1:24pm
mdm1, 
A diverter valve has been working for me for years as well!
I have mine connected to a lever within easy reach.
I have a backblade and a loader on my WD at all times.

Edited by Brian G. NY - 28 Aug 2024 at 1:36pm
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 4:33pm
As I've said before, as a last result there's always the stop collars which snap on the cylinders themselves.  Work fine as long as you don't need quick or ongoing adjustments.  Save fighting the pump.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 2:01pm
Stop collars won't work very well on a 45 the way the lift arm yokes straddle the ram.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 2:38pm
They work fine for me on a brush hog, have used for years.  Granted on tillage or heavy stuff may be a different outcome.  On a relatively light load-no problems except you can't adjust anything on the fly.  It's either up or down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic