This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRR1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD advice
    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:40pm
Hey new here just looking for some advice on my WD I use for planting and most of my hay work with. Wondering what could be done for more performance for in the field. Been considering putting pertronix in and wondering what I could do to the carb? Thanks in advance for any input on this.
Sponsored Links

AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 6:24am
How much more do you need?  Haying and planting aren't really high horsepower applications.  WD45 crank and pistons will buy you about 10 horse.  Gleaner E or D17 engine would gain you 15 or so.  Keystone turbo will get you 15 to maybe 20 more.  Best option is sell the WD and buy a D17.  Far better tractor anyway.
AaronSEIA
JRR1847 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRR1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:28am
I’ve thought of going the d17 way but I hate to get shed of my WD first tractor I bought plus just refreshed the motor last winter. I pull a international cyclo and would just like a little more for on the hills to keep the air up and keep my speed good. The haying isn’t too bad but my 9 foot haybine in heavy stuff you can tell it sure wouldn’t hurt to have a little extra.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:39am
Perform a cranking compression test on that engine with the throttle wide open and a battery charger on the battery. Report back with the results and we'll go from there. A WD normally has 100 lbs compression. A WD45 has 125 psi. A D-17 has 145 psi. A WD45 carb, manifold and air cleaner will wake it up some.
JRR1847 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRR1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:10am
The tractor originally was a wd45 and had terrible over heating issues even when taking hay and I got frustrated brought it in and tore it down to find a cracked block which I had the old WD motor sitting at home and after I rebuilt it i used the 45 carb and manifolds. And me and my dad tried our best fine tuning the carb.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:40am
But, you might have considered using the WD45 crankshaft in your WD engine when rebuilding it. You've gone backwards in cubic inches.
JRR1847 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRR1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:01am
Would that work with the flat top WD pistons?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:05am
Stock flat top pistons, yes

after market flat top, I don't know.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
JRR1847 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRR1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:39am
I’m pretty dang sure mine are original pistons
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:03pm
Run a compression test FIRST !!  If they are old pistons/sleeves you cannot install the WD45 crankshaft because it will push the pistons right up thru the ridge edge worn into the sleeves.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:06pm
I've cut the ridge out before. Have a ridge cutter somewhere in the shop.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:15pm
I wouldn't ever consider using a sleeve that had the ridge cut out just to accommodate the 4 1/2"  stroke crankshaft.  It needs new sleeves at a minimum. But, until he runs a compression test, we don't even know how high his compression ratio currently is.
JRR1847 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRR1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:33pm
I’ll do the compression test first. Once I find out compression tester first that is lol
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I wouldn't ever consider using a sleeve that had the ridge cut out just to accommodate the 4 1/2"  stroke crankshaft.  It needs new sleeves at a minimum. But, until he runs a compression test, we don't even know how high his compression ratio currently is.
Maybe but it's been done
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic