Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=168644
Printed Date: 04 Jun 2024 at 3:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: WD advice
Posted By: JRR1847
Subject: WD advice
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:40pm
Hey new here just looking for some advice on my WD I use for planting and most of my hay work with. Wondering what could be done for more performance for in the field. Been considering putting pertronix in and wondering what I could do to the carb? Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Replies:
Posted By: AaronSEIA
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 6:24am
How much more do you need?  Haying and planting aren't really high horsepower applications.  WD45 crank and pistons will buy you about 10 horse.  Gleaner E or D17 engine would gain you 15 or so.  Keystone turbo will get you 15 to maybe 20 more.  Best option is sell the WD and buy a D17.  Far better tractor anyway.
AaronSEIA

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:28am
I’ve thought of going the d17 way but I hate to get shed of my WD first tractor I bought plus just refreshed the motor last winter. I pull a international cyclo and would just like a little more for on the hills to keep the air up and keep my speed good. The haying isn’t too bad but my 9 foot haybine in heavy stuff you can tell it sure wouldn’t hurt to have a little extra.

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:39am
Perform a cranking compression test on that engine with the throttle wide open and a battery charger on the battery. Report back with the results and we'll go from there. A WD normally has 100 lbs compression. A WD45 has 125 psi. A D-17 has 145 psi. A WD45 carb, manifold and air cleaner will wake it up some.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:10am
The tractor originally was a wd45 and had terrible over heating issues even when taking hay and I got frustrated brought it in and tore it down to find a cracked block which I had the old WD motor sitting at home and after I rebuilt it i used the 45 carb and manifolds. And me and my dad tried our best fine tuning the carb.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:40am
But, you might have considered using the WD45 crankshaft in your WD engine when rebuilding it. You've gone backwards in cubic inches.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:01am
Would that work with the flat top WD pistons?

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:05am
Stock flat top pistons, yes

after market flat top, I don't know.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:39am
I’m pretty dang sure mine are original pistons

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:03pm
Run a compression test FIRST !!  If they are old pistons/sleeves you cannot install the WD45 crankshaft because it will push the pistons right up thru the ridge edge worn into the sleeves.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:06pm
I've cut the ridge out before. Have a ridge cutter somewhere in the shop.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:15pm
I wouldn't ever consider using a sleeve that had the ridge cut out just to accommodate the 4 1/2"  stroke crankshaft.  It needs new sleeves at a minimum. But, until he runs a compression test, we don't even know how high his compression ratio currently is.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:33pm
I’ll do the compression test first. Once I find out compression tester first that is lol

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I wouldn't ever consider using a sleeve that had the ridge cut out just to accommodate the 4 1/2"  stroke crankshaft.  It needs new sleeves at a minimum. But, until he runs a compression test, we don't even know how high his compression ratio currently is.
Maybe but it's been done

-------------
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net