This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"UN"perforratting bin floor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "UN"perforratting bin floor
    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 7:16pm
Anybody have an idea of something to apply to a perforated grain bin floor to keep feed from sifting through the perforations. For years I have had it covered with geotextile fabric cut and taped to fit but was always having trouble when cleaning out with a sweep auger. Have decided to do something more permanent. Thought about truck bed liner but wouldn't it crack when the floor flexed (30ft dia bin). Is there some type roofing tar material that might work? Just need to apply a thin coat of something to stop the sifting through the holes.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 10:10pm
take the floor out
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 10:19pm
You might think about plywood. If you seal it up or take it out, 5 or 10 years later you will want a drying floor again. It never fails.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:27am
Galvanized sheet metal.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
cowkicker View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:01am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

take the floor out
unloading auger is under floor
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:52am
OK, please humour me,if the unloading auger is UNDER the perfs and you UNperf, HOW does the grain get augered out ??
 I would not use steel, it rusts, galvanised tin or tar...both could be toxic. Some kind of plastic sounds good....untreated wood might be ok ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:53am
The small bin we use for mixing protien pellets and ground corn we put down plastic sheeting and layed plywood over it. It only takesabout an hour after its empty to conver back to an air bin. Wevev saved the cut plywood and used it in a couple different bins. The plastic is just that vapor barrier from menards we used it a couple times also. Itnot taht hard to clean uned the air floor i just take a couple floor panels out and stick a vacuum under there.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:15am
how much do you put in the bin?
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 12:13pm
I would say wood also unless the feed you are putting in it is very dry such as something like dry distillers grain then maybe tin. The wood stills allows moisture and air to move a little

Edited by DanWi - 21 Mar 2020 at 12:14pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK, please humour me,if the unloading auger is UNDER the perfs and you UNperf, HOW does the grain get augered out ??
 I would not use steel, it rusts, galvanised tin or tar...both could be toxic. Some kind of plastic sounds good....untreated wood might be ok ?

Wink Jay the whole sides of the bin are galvanized steel already.LOL An tar Confused I hope it doesn't give off to much toxic stuff. All the water I drank as kid came out of a tank with tar for the bottom.

This hot dry country I have never seen bin with way to blow air under the pile so I cannot help you with that answer.  
cowkicker View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:17pm
[QUOTE=jaybmiller]
[/QUO   A door in the center of the bin floor allows grain and feed to fill bottom auger by gravity After gravity flow stops, a sweep auger is put in bin, on top of the floor, to move the grain to the center door.
cowkicker View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

how much do you put in the bin?
Bin holds 12.500 bu. Only try to put about 100 tons in it at a time, (4 trailer loads)try to catch some cheap for summer and early fall. And have to be sure to have plenty in it in the late fall and winter, around holidays can really be a pain to find
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:58pm
The poly truck bed liners will work for you! We had them in dump trailers at Meltons and they stand up to about anything except demolition use. I hauled hundreds of loads of hot mix in them with no ill affects to the floor.
Also hauled 1inch whiterock , sand, gravel, etc.in them.
Your weight would be spread over large area, trailers had 30 tons in 8 feet by 32 feet.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 1:15pm
followup dumb question..
if you get rid of the holes, how can the grain dry out  or air flow ??

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 6:09pm

followup dumb question..
if you get rid of the holes, how can the grain dry out  or air flow ??
You guys really need to read the original posts more throughly !! Nowhere did the OP say he's "DRYING" !!
To the OP, look into 1/4" Masonite panels(4x8). A pretty tough panel, VERY smooth texture and can be re-used for future projects Wink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 6:23am
OK, may not be drying but I've got a picture of a 'grain holding bin' in flames on my slideshow here. I was thinking the grain might catch on fire internally so having air flow 24/7 is a requirement to prevent fires ?
I know coal piles have to be turned otherwise they'll 'self ignite', and my 8-12 yd compost piles( pony poop and pine chips' get really,really HOT if not turned every 2-3 days.

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 12:01pm
put vertical vents in it with fans on top to suck the heat out of the feed.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 5:25pm

OK, may not be drying but I've got a picture of a 'grain holding bin' in flames on my slideshow here. I was thinking the grain might catch on fire internally so having air flow 24/7 is a requirement to prevent fires ?
I know coal piles have to be turned otherwise they'll 'self ignite', and my 8-12 yd compost piles( pony poop and pine chips' get really,really HOT if not turned every 2-3 days.

He's putting FEED into it!! Have you ever fed livestock? The FEED better be dry to begin with or the OP should be talking with his processor. My guess is 12% moisture and below.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 7:33pm
Flex seal
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 6:12am
Only time I ever fed cattle was tossing bales off a wagon for friend's dad 5 decades ago....
missed the 'feed' word in the post and a picture of the flaming bin was on my screen seconds before I read the post, so I was thinking about that...

I just thought a 'grain bin' always needed ventilation.

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:08am
none of the old solid bottom bins had air circulation unless you added air tubes. as long as the grain is dry when you put it in the bin its fine wet grain will self combust.  As i said before we put poly sheets in the bin and covered with thin plywood. keep the plastic and plywood for use later when you remove it. we run a sweep auger on it the sweep dosent touch the floor and leaves about an inch behind. I just sweep that out with a broom. when using a air dry bin for feed. we use 50% protien pellets with ground corn. the ground corn will go thru the preforations in a air floor and some of the protien pellets come apart into dust when you auger them. if your feed isnt dry when you put in a bin it'll mold and you'll have sick or dead animals. we use a dual auger set when filling the feed bin one truck dumping pellets the other dumping ground corn. we only fill with a semi of each when you auger it out of the bin into the feed mixer its already mixed and we can just go to feeding. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic