This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSHIVERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer questions
    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:34pm
I have a B and I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V-8 and automatic.         What I don't have is a trailer should I want to take it to a show or fair, in for           repairs, etc.  I've never had a trailer and this is my first tractor.  So big learning
curve here.

Can I get some suggestions from y'all about a good trailer for me and my B?
Size, weight, materials, brand, etc.  What approximately should I pay.  What to         watch out for.  Is my Jeep enough to haul the B? And anything else you can think           of.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:48pm
The B weight is about 2000 pounds. A small single axle trailer might be 1000 pounds. A small light duty double axle car trailer ( 16 ft, 7000# capacity) might be 2000 pounds. As long as your jeep can pull 4000 pounds, you should be OK..

Personally i like a  double axle compared to the single for moving equip. You can get them FLAT or you can get with  15 ( approx) inch angle iron sides. Either would work for you.  Most states if you title your trailer for under 8000 pounds, it is a lower rate.  Some states will require brakes on one axle, some on both axles. You will need to get a brake controller for your Jeep and run a few wires to the back plug, and power from the battery.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Jul 2021 at 12:53pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:51pm
for what your doing, the BRAND NAME is probably not that important. You can find trailers used or new. New is in the $3000 - 3500. range ... Used depends on the condition.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:57pm
Mape View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:59pm
The Jeep is lots to tow with and a B doesn’t weigh much (around 2000 lbs) so it doesn’t take much of a trailer to haul a B. 

That being said I find trailers a lot like garages and tractors, you always have times you wish you had a bigger one. 

Personally I like a low flat trailer with good ramps that store on or under the trailer. I found fold up ramps in the way when wanting to load things onto the trailer with a forklift or tractor. 
I also like a trailer with some kind of jack/post that supports the back of the trailer when you’re driving something onto the trailer. It saves have to block it up and doesn’t pick the back of your truck off the ground.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 1:44pm
Seems crazy that the trailer will weigh as much as the tractor, but I will admit four wheels allows better positioning of the load on the trailer and helps keep from overloading the trailer hitch on the tow vehicle. A ten foot long deck is PLENTY long enough for a model "B" tractor.  I haul around all my smaller tractors (D-17.....WD45......170 with 5500 lbs max weight) on a 12 ft trailer with 3500 lb axles and the empty trailer weighs 1650 lbs. It is homemade and was made by myself to be light weight but strong where the wheels/tires would be resting. Which way you drive the tractor on the trailer will make a difference on hitch weight. I have my tandem axles pulled rearward from the beds center probably 18" to 24" so I can drive the tractor on nose first and load the pickup hitch properly. Again, the advantage of building your own trailer. Make it work instead of compromising with an already built trailer trying to load it in a balanced fashion.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 1:46pm
I bought a 16ft dual axle 10,000lb trailer new. It's licensed for 8000. I had them put bobcat ramps and a rub rail on when they built it. Hauls a B with no problem. I really don't use it much so it was more for convenience than anything. Like has been said a million times-It's not about pulling it's about stopping! Make sure you have trailer brakes.  I bought new so I would have piece of mind that it was a good trailer. Still nothing wrong with used. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 2:05pm
I have an 18 ft 10K trailer that i use for about everything.. Like you said, it is real handy.. BUT you pay extra in Illinois to get that 10K plate instead of the 8K plate...

For the OP, just getting into this, i think a 12- 16 ft double axle light duty trailer is ideal.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 2:18pm
Steve I would agree but I do have a WD-45 also. That's why mine is licensed for 8000lbs. I do have a 14ft single axle also but I really don't ever use it anymore. Kinda a light built trailer.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 2:36pm
You ought to consider getting an equalizing hitch with it.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 3:09pm
Mike, i put 10K plates on ours because the boy has a 7500# Bobcat that gets moved from time to time.. We did have a 7000# capacity 16 ft car trailer... Was pushing the limit when moving a 5000# vehicle so sold it and bought the 10K several years ago.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 5:01pm
As the good doctor says, a 10' long trailer would be nice. NO sense hauling 'dead weight' that'll cost MPG ! Tandem axle, BOTH with brakes and put backup lights on it !! I don't know how guys backup their trailers at night, long windy driveway with steep ditches....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:42pm
A heavy axle (single) tilt bed would be perfect for a B.  I have an old Snowco, that I use to pull about a 1500# lawn mower with, something like that would probably work perfect for you.  I pull that mower and trailer with a ford ranger with a small block v-6.  I paid $650 for the trailer, used.  If you want to go new, start looking at local dealers, as you will probably will be paying sales tax on a titled trailer.  If you go out of state, sometimes saving money on the price of the trailer adds hassles, getting out of state trailers transferred over, state to state...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:53pm
Tandem axle car hauler.  You'll have to get the trailer brake controller installed and wired to the rear.

Next you need a Reese type hitch installed.  Along with the correct hitch and ball.

You will need chains and binders, or heavy duty ratchet straps and then learn the correct way to put them on.

When you put the tractor on the trailer you want some tongue weight but not so much it makes the tow vehicle squat.

I always carry a small jack stand with me to put under the rear of the trailer when loading and unloading.

You will probably want to buy a utility jack, or farm jack, or whatever they call them where you live.  It's the easiest way to change a flat on a trailer.  Oh, and a four way lug wrench.  You may have to buy a spare tire since most trailers don't come with one.

Before getting on the road, make sure the trailer brakes work. 

Remember all of that extra weight when you need to stop. If you forget, it could get messy. 

That is just a few of the needs of a trailer.

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:13pm
A single axle trailer for hauling a B may be just fine if you had a 3/4 ton pickup pulling it. However as you have a JEEP SUV, be safe and go with a tandem trailer with brakes on both axles and a weight distributing hitch. The rainy day you're going down a curvy hill and a school bus is around the corner with it's lights flashing you'll be glad you have everything. Travelling on the highway with a load is not the place to be going cheap. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

You ought to consider getting an equalizing hitch with it.

For hauling  a B ?? That system is probably more $$ than the B is worth Embarrassed
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:41pm
I bought a tandem axle car trailer about 25 years ago while the boy's were in school. I am still using it today. Yes I put a new plank floor in it when I bought it. I put 4 new 10 ply tires on it at that time. This past spring I repacked the wheel bearings and put 4 more new 10 ply tires on it. Brakes on 1 axle are more than sufficient. I just got done hauling a V6 Dodge Dakota 100 + miles last weekend. My 2019 Chevy averaged 18 mpg pulling it with the Dakota on the trailer. There will be times in your life when you are going to want to haul something bigger than your B. I would not buy a single axle trailer. You want an 8' wide bed, as low to the ground as possible. You cannot get a small car on a tall trailer without problems. Built in ramps are defiantly a +. I do not have a equalizing hitch on this trailer. It works fine without it.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:20am
Any "low-profile" car hauling trailer is only going to be 6 ft 6 inches wide in-between the fenders, which is more than enough for any "B" . To get an 8 ft deck width you have to go over the top of the tires, which it ain't low profile anymore. An equalizer type hitch would be money spent foolishly on a small load like this. Four wheeled trailer works the best and once you figure out where the load needs to be on the trailer, mark your tie down chains with zip ties so you always get it exactly in the same spot time after time for safe balanced towing.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:36am
I also vote for the tandem axle,, you'll find a lot more things to use your new trailer for,, and be prepared to gain a lot of "new" friends,, yea,, they will want to borrow it....
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:38am
Duh ,  Most trailer's  cost more then the tractor is worth . What is being SAFE  WORTH  and for  other's  on the road. 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:44am
Don’t mess around with utility trailers get a gooseneck and have something decent I’ve hauled anywhere from a CA to my 8050 on mine.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 9:18am
YEP... Get a 30 ft Goose neck rated at 20K pounds... Tie it to the ROOF of that little JEEP and load a 1900# tractor on it !!   Clap   LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 9:34am
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:05am
One thing to consider. What is that Jeep rated for? Really get the best you can afford! Oh and like some, this may not be your last tractor!!!!!! Hey good luck.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:43am
Now with all the do's and don'ts you just get to juggle it with how much money you are willing to spend. 

Remember in todays world Wink you don't need to have money to spend it. LOL Some mythical hero out of the future will pay all our duet off.LOL

LOL  Oh since ant nobody else said it yet just go buy the biggest semi tractor on the lot with nice low deck hydraulic  beaver tail trailer and load the B in front and the Jeep on the back.LOL Never mind you don't have a license for a rig that big, you are a farmer.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:00pm
Let’s face it, a gooseneck trailer with a dove tail is best but he states he has a Jeep with a V8, and assuming a trailer tow package. With that being said and as others have suggested, a nice 16’ 2 axle with brakes is all he needs. It’s safer, not terribly expensive to find a used one and add a brake controller on his Jeep. If he upgrades to bigger tractors then the vehicle will have to be upgraded as well. I’ve seen nice used ones for $800-$1200. Good luck, I hope you find one. If your Jeep has the 4.7, 5.2 or 5.9 v8 then you will have plenty of power to pull it. Just remember, going fast isn’t safe, take your time and give yourself plenty of room from the idiots that don’t know how to drive.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 9:30pm
You do not want a single axle trailer. It will be maxed out with a B with no ballast. For many years I hauled my CA on a 6x12 tandem axle trailer with a 4 cyl Ford Ranger. Worked well except you didn’t get up to speed quickly. Brakes on the trailer are a must. Iowa requires brakes on all road wheels on any trailer rated for 3000 lbs and up. I would guess most states are going to be similar. Even if not, it just makes good sense to be able to stop quickly when needed. In my truck I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller. I like that it engages the brakes in sync with the truck vs the cheaper models that just jerk you around, especially in slow speed maneuvers like in a parking lot.
Absolutely positively NEVER tow in overdrive, unless you want to destroy your transmission. It will quickly overheat and ruin your day.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 7:40am
Another vote for a tandem axle trailer.  If you get a flat tire with a tandem axle trailer the B is light enough where you can keep towing and get off of the road to a safe location.  For this reason alone I won't own a single axle trailer again.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 7:49am
A Jeep is not much of a towing vehicle. I would try to get the lightest trailer that has the weight capacity that you need. I would consider an aluminum trailer. It will be more expensive but you'll be a lot lighter and haul more/better/safer.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 6:48am
I once sold a B with a single axle boat trailer under it, with a piece of plywood and 4-2x6s under that. delivered it 50 miles. I wouldn't do that again tho...LOL
The guy wanted the trailer too on delivery, so I sold that too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic