This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOYOTA 4 RUNNER ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOYOTA 4 RUNNER ??
    Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 6:27pm
A co worker purchased an '06 4 runner from a local "used car/truck" establishment  3 weeks ago. He took it to his local mechanic to make arrangements to "TWEAK IT OUT" with a body lift/wheels/ tires and air ride . His mechanic put it on the lift and discovered that the frame is cottage-cheese due to the previous owner ('s) did NOT partake in the original TOYOTA RECALL Confused . Does my co worker have any recourse for compensation  ??
Sponsored Links

Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 6:44pm
  I hope so for his sake, he'll have to contact a Toyota dealer or Toyota directly if possible to find out.  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 6:53pm
compensation ? From the USED car lot  ? No, he bought a 16 year old USED car. Unless the car lot specifically said 'warrantied.........' on the bill of sale, it's very,very unlikely.
I've seen enough Judge Judy's about used cars.....

now the Toyota recall, probably has a 'limited time offer',maybe ONLY to the ORIGINAL owner. Someone will have to find the 16 year old paperwork on that recall, but my gut says 'sorry....either not original owner or time  has elapsed.

found this....

seems it's a recent 'recall', kinda, maybe....

Edited by jaybmiller - 22 Jun 2022 at 6:56pm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 7:56pm
I just looked it up the frame recall expires 15 years from date of manufacture. Some used car dealers will work with you but not required to. It's just what their conscious will allow. Getting a lawyer is never worth it.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

I just looked it up the frame recall expires 15 years from date of manufacture. Some used car dealers will work with you but not required to. It's just what their conscious will allow. Getting a lawyer is never worth it.
Thanks Dave , this guy is doing his best to NOT get lawyers involved 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 8:09pm
the poor guy was quoted $20,000  to have a certified Toyota shop put an ENTIRE brand new frame under that body/drivetrain though Ouch
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 8:21pm
The phrase caveat emptor springs to mind!

Sure, you have a friend, I believe you!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 9:41pm
He’s about 3 weeks too late on putting the truck up on a lift. Should have looked at the underside before purchase.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 9:53pm
You could always google it?
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:28am
Cottage cheese?  So....the frame is lumpy?LOL  Kinda think you meant swiss cheese......brain cells required. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:21am
If your going to BUY something, its not a bad idea to GOOGLE the truck/ tractor/ etc and see if it has a history as a POS prior to purchase.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

WinkWinkDon't you feel more important that trusts us as his personal fact checker.LOLLOL

I guess the blue has run out of Toyoaty emblem on this one.  LOL Or would this one be the blue has run into the circle. Dang is it a oval or a circle, I will look at the Toyoaty that lives here when it returns. LOL

Edited by Ray54 - 23 Jun 2022 at 10:34am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:31am
Ray... you probably OK in California... But if you live in SALT CITY MICHIGAN , where the roads are made of SALT instead of Concrete.... you might reconsider !! Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:22pm
dang I'm impressed a 16 year old car is still on the road in SW Mich as it's a tossup who puts more salt on the roads, Mi or Ontario !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fjdrill View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjdrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:51pm
Sooo, somebody bought a 16-year-old vehicle in Mi and didn't look under the body? SON you have gots to bend those knees!!  FWIW - There is more than likely a video on YT  for that little situation! 
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 4:57pm
Chicago uses more salt than anybody I think
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 6:48pm
It's no secret that Toyotas including pickups of that vintage had that problem.  Have a friend that had one showing early signs of the rust problem & he managed to trade it off while it still had some value.  Not sure what year model they figured it out and hopefully fixed it.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:53am
Mid 2010s to current Ford F150s are seeing a similar issue, Box section frames that cannot be cleaned OUT and were not treated or even thoroughly painted Internally with corrosion making them swiss cheese.  Friend, Owner at local body shop has one they are reframing is a 2015, Ford is supplying the frame N/C just to accommodate the owner as only has 67xxx miles on it.  Old Frame looks like something from the 1950s out of a dump so rusted, New frame looks similar in design but is different.

Edited by DMiller - 24 Jun 2022 at 6:53am
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

WinkWinkDon't you feel more important that trusts us as his personal fact checker.LOLLOL

I guess the blue has run out of Toyoaty emblem on this one.  LOL Or would this one be the blue has run into the circle. Dang is it a oval or a circle, I will look at the Toyoaty that lives here when it returns. LOL

I don't think there's ANY color in the toyota emblem, if there was, it would still be there unlike a FMC product Embarrassed
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by fjdrill fjdrill wrote:

Sooo, somebody bought a 16-year-old vehicle in Mi and didn't look under the body? SON you have gots to bend those knees!!  FWIW - There is more than likely a video on YT  for that little situation! 

What is the under carriage condition of SEA SALT buggies, or is this an external/body issue ?
I NEVER said where he bought the 4 Runner, You guys ASSUME too much Wink !!!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 24 Jun 2022 at 6:10pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Wayne180d Wayne180d wrote:

Chicago uses more salt than anybody I think
Sadly, I think it's the MDOT state road spreaders Confused . I cringe every time it snows as I have to drive at least 5 miles on state roads to get from point A-B Ouch
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:17pm
[QUOTE=Dennis J OPKs]It's no secret that Toyotas including pickups of that vintage had that problem.  Have a friend that had one showing early signs of the rust problem & he managed to trade it off while it still had some value.  Not sure what year model they figured it out and hopefully fixed it.[/QUOTE
My co worker says there "are" replacement frame kits (quadrants) but its finding a local welding shop to install Ouch
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:37pm
y co worker says there "are" replacement frame kits

YEP.... all it takes in $$$$$$$$$$$ ..
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:39am
I was looking at a real nice Tacoma last year. Then I raised it up on the lift. 
Holy Cow. Good thing I didn't test drive this t**d, probably would have broke in half.
I wouldn't actually call them 'quadrants' just repair sections you weld in. That was the problem, there wasn't much to weld to because of the rust. Anything you touch is going to fall apart. Control arms, everything. Not a bolt on it would have come out in one piece.

Checked into full frames, pffft. Price and availability wasn't feasible.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 11:11am
Toyty emblem is oval ...........................like Ford . An they let all colors Clap in very dark  Confused but don't know as you could call it black.

Every place has a plus, I pay more for gas but no rust on any of the 20, or 30, or...............almost 50 year old trucks here.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 11:30am
Japan's Low Grade Recycled Scrap steel shows out like the Rust days of 1970s GMs and IHC Light Duty trucks.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Japan's Low Grade Recycled Scrap steel shows out like the Rust days of 1970s GMs and IHC Light Duty trucks.
But WHY did that steel only effect certain models of frames ??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 6:47pm
The poor guy found out yesterday from an independent welding shop that there is no hope of salvaging his purchase Unhappy 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 7:03pm
Can always buy another frame
That would salvage it.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 7:06pm
Thanks,he's pursuing all options at this point and is literally sick about this purchase Stern Smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic