This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do You Recognize this WD45 3pt Hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do You Recognize this WD45 3pt Hitch?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 3:35am
This month, I bought a  1957 WD45. (Serial Number checks out as a 1957) It had a 3pt hitch, but I didn't inspect it closely before I bought it.    Is it AC OEM?

The 3pt hitch is attached to the Snap Coupler.  Along with it, came two identical draw bars, both with the Snap Coupler eye.  How can the draw bar be attached, when it has a Snap Coupler connection, but the Snap Coupler is already in use attaching the 3pt hitch.

The Left arm is connected at the fourth hole from the eye, it rubs the tire when tractor is moving.  The Right arm is connected in the first hole from the eye.  There is only one height adjustment lever, it is on the right arm.  Left arm is sans height adjuster.  On LEFT arm, cotter pins are next to tire.  On RIGHT arm, cotter pins are on the inside of the arm, away from the tire.

I question if this whole hitch is  attached right side up, or, errant in an upside down position.  I question that because I am unfamiliar with this 3pt hitch, and looking at the Y in it, it looks upside down there at the Snap Coupler.  However, I know nothing.

Also, can the draw bars shown be attached by removing the center pin at the Y in the Snap Coupler hitch connection, and as is, or, modifying a hole in the draw bar, attach it at that center pin.

Does the 3pt hitch need like a sway bar, or, a draw bar that runs to each hitch arm?

New to Allis Chalmers. Drove by a lot and saw it and it's beautiful orange and bought it.

Needs a light switch.  Anyone know the proper switch, it's ID, and who sells them?

Will the brush guard prevent the operation of a WD45 Front Loader?  I have one made for the WD45  now unpaid for, but due to arrive and pay on the 3rd of August.

What size wrenches do I need to remove the seat coil and replace the shock absorber?  Where can I buy bushings for the front and rear seat connections to the frame?  The seat is all wobbly and needs a new shock.  Read in the forums, two different Monro Shock replacement numbers.  Monroe 5752, and Monroe 57354 and Monroe 57354A.  They recommended ADVANCE AUTO, but all we have are AUTO ZONE, and O'REILY'S IN this area..

Photos are attached.

Thanks a million for any help that you can provide me.

Dex

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum

Sponsored Links

Dexter Peabody View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 3:37am
Also, how can other Snap Coupler implements be used with this 3pt Hitch using the Snap Coupler connection?

Thanks.

Dex
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 3:43am
Oh, the arms on the draw bar, look to be upside down, compared to photos I pulled up of that draw bar in Google Images.  What say you?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 4:00am
#1 you either attach one, or the other, not both 3 point, and drawbar.
#2 there are parts missing, to the 3 point adapter, including the toplink(spreader) piece, that goes between the 2 arms.  Also missing are the sway chains, and and the rack that they mount on.
#3 some of the pisces on the adapter kit are home made bodge ups (lift links)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 4:07am
So, DiyDave, you are saying that this is not AC OEM, even though it is a 1957 WD45?  That it was homemade, or, at least in part?     

Never seen a kit before that used the Snap Coupler as the attachment.  Regardless, it is a crummy way to make a 3pt hitch, because it precludes me from using the draw bar and the hitch at the same time.

I would be better off to buy an aftermarket kit, get rid of this one, and be able to use the draw bar.  That would mean that I would have another $500-$600 in the tractor.Unhappy

Thank you for responding.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 5:23am
No, all is not lost.  When they were manufactured, these kits were the best, for your tractor.  You need to look at pictures of what should be.  The upper connection points should be the snap coupler claws.  When set up right, you can switch out drawbar to adapter, in 5 minutes, with 4 to spare.  Unfortunately I am not a computer whiz, and can't post the pics I want to.  If you go to YTMAG, this morning, the AC forum there has a thread, with pics, which wouls 'splain a lot better.  Also you could search the photo galeries here, and there, lots of useful pictures, which speak better than me.
bitburn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:35am
Looks like a Cross Mfg aftermarket hitch.  I just got one for my CA.  You are missing the two pipes that slide into each other (The spreader that goes between the two arms.  Currently your chains are hooked to it.)  Should be able to buy two different size DOM tubing.  Drill holes on the ends, and cut to size.  You can check out the pictures of these hitches on OKTractor and TonysTractors.

The previous owner may of took out the spreader, as the pto shaft tends to smash into it as you lift the implement in some cases.  I just found this out yesterday as I lifted the deck of the rotary cutter too much.

Here is WD with an aftermarket hitch on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=D5B6eCYFA0U
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:37am

We had one like that and it came from Steiner many years ago.

John Carlson
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:58am
I never saw a need to have the draw bar and the 3 point in use at the same time. Use the 3 point when needed, remove it and put the drawbar on when needed. It would take less than 2 minutes if you had the proper lift latches on the lift arms.
 Don't MODIFY anything on the hitch. Disconnect the lift arms from the 3 point, pull on the release lever(right angle handle above guage cluster) and drop the 3 point out. Pick up the drawbar and "sling it into the Snap Couple Bell. Attach drawbar bail with 2 clevis pins and 2 hair pins.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 7:10am
I just saw one on another forum. Shows the entire 3pt and he has the cross part you need!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 11:51am
Thank you all for the information that you have provided me.

If anyone has trouble uploading photos in the forum, but could email me, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am a first time AC owner, and have been off the farm for over 30 years.

I was thinking that since the tractor is serial numbered as a 1957, that it came with an OEM 3pt hitch from AC.   Apparently not.

Am looking for knowledgeable like you all, and directions on how to get up to speed on this WD45 and the 3pt hitch.

If anyone has photos that they would send of the proper connections, bars, snap claws, or, how this hitch is supposed to look, I would appreciate it.   Links to forums, web pages are also welcome.

email to mballou@mvp.net.

I knew that this was the right forum to join.  Thanks again, guys, further input from you and others is greatly appreciated.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 11:55am
Anyone have photos that they are unable to upload of the proper configuration of my 3pt hitch, you may email me at mballou@mvp.net

Thank you, ALL.

Dex
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 2:38pm
I believe this started out as an original A-C 3PH adaptor.
Even the top link bracket attached to the rocker shaft appears to be original. It is unfortunate that longer ears have been welded onto it.
The lift links are also original but the correct clevis' that attach them to the lift arms have been replaced by some "Mickey Mouse" pieces.
There was a stabilizer available for use when using PTO operated equipment, a picture of which I have attached. 
I have one of these A-C 3PH adaptors and I agree, the disadvantage is that it has to be removed to do any drawbar work.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 2:47pm
Hey CTuckerNWIL,
"Slingin'" that drawbar into the snap-coupler ain't as easy as it once was!  LOL
"Slingin'" the 3PH adaptor into the snap-coupler is pretty darned near impossible for an old guy like me!
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 3:41pm
There never was a 3 pt hitch availible from the factory on a WD45 there are "after market" one's from several diferent companies. and yes Brian I agree that "singin" anything into the snap coupler bell is mostly only in my dreams !! A young guy could do it though.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:06pm
Brian G.

Thank you for the great drawing and info.   Yeah, when he said that you  just sling the draw bar up there, I was going... "Not me,"  I had already tried to get it in position to see if the thing came close to the snap coupler and it is one heavy piece of metal.     I do believe that if you look at the draw bar, in my first posting, that it may well have the arms fastened upside down.  I have seen images in a search engine and it seems that the looped up part of the draw bar is down, where in the photo of mine, it is up, and the straight bar is down.     It is rather disheartening to think that this hitch was cobbled together, and then, even bastardized even further.     What can I do to make it safe to use as a 3pt hitch for plow, disk, etc.?   Thank you all for your great input.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 7:36pm

Looking at the Y at the Snap Coupler, is it right side up, or, upside down?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 7:46pm
CTuckerNWIL

Thank you for your input and advice not to change anything.   As for the Snap Coupler hitch being dropped and my SLINGING the drawbar up in it's place, my SLINGING days are just about over. Smile    

Does the Y underneath the tractor look to be upside down to you at the coupler?

I found that piece to be pretty darn heavy, at least to me at this stage in my life.   20-30 years ago, yes, I could sling, but not so much so today.  Nudge maybe, push, kick, and even raise it a bit off the ground, but no SLINGING.

Thanks, again, and for noting that it looked at least in part to be original AC.

Just wondered why they didn't design a 3pt hitch that allowed the draw bar to be used along with the 3pt, and save the Snap Coupler for other implements.

Thanks again, CTuckerNWIL, I appreciate the input of you and all who have commented in a very helpful way.

Dex
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm
Allis didn't build 3 point equipment in the 50's because they made equipment with the Snap Couple hitch. It was far easier to connect and change equipment than the 3 point but kinda met it's limits with the higher horsepower tractors like the 190.
 I don't know if it's upside down. here is a picture of one I found doing a google seach for images. It has the proper lift links to connect to the latches that would normally be on your
arms.
 http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Allis-Chalmers-3-point-hitch-WD-WD45-D14-D15-D17-Snap-Coupler-Quick-Hitch-/00/s/MjExWDUxMg==/$(KGrHqMOKkUE5VPwybutBO,wrddh,Q~~60_3.GIF

It appears your sway chains aren't helping much where they are mounted. I don't know how they should be anchored either. If you had the cross arm shown, your sway chains would probably work.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 24 Jul 2012 at 8:05pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 8:51pm
The "Y" is right side up in your photo.
And.........altho the WD-45 did not come equipped with a 3 PH, Allis-Chalmers did sell a factory "Allis-Chalmers" 3 PH attachment for the WD-45 and several other models.
They are quite sought after and some of the pieces are quite valuable.
For example, I have seen that litttle top-link clamp that goes on the rocker shaft go for as much as $160 on e-pay, the top-link with an unbroken handwheel for $266 and the 3 PH itself without the other two items for $228.
If I ever get one of my WD-45s restored I would cetrtainly have the A-C 3PH adaptor
on it for "show" purposes.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:07pm
While I was typing my prior response,  CTuckerNWIL posted his comments.
Contrary to what he says, Allis certainly made their own 3 PH adaptor.
As a matter of fact, to take full advantage of their "traction booster" feature (of which they were immensely proud), if the buyer chose, he could have the 3 PH adaptor configured so that the the top-link connected down on the 3 ph itself rather than up on the cross shaft.
I know this because one of my WD-45s came with a 3 PH adaptor with the top-link bracket on the rocker shaft and another I bought had a 3 PH adaptor which had originally had the top-link bracket on a bar mounted between the two lift arms.
I am surprised that others have not "chimed in" as there must be a few guys out there with these factory 3 PH adaptors on their tractors?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Brian G.  NY Brian G. NY wrote:

While I was typing my prior response,  CTuckerNWIL posted his comments.
Contrary to what he says, Allis certainly made their own 3 PH adaptor.
As a matter of fact, to take full advantage of their "traction booster" feature (of which they were immensely proud), if the buyer chose, he could have the 3 PH adaptor configured so that the the top-link connected down on the 3 ph itself rather than up on the cross shaft.
I know this because one of my WD-45s came with a 3 PH adaptor with the top-link bracket on the rocker shaft and another I bought had a 3 PH adaptor which had originally had the top-link bracket on a bar mounted between the two lift arms.
I am surprised that others have not "chimed in" as there must be a few guys out there with these factory 3 PH adaptors on their tractors?
 I never said Allis didn't make the adaptor go back and read what I wrote.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 24 Jul 2012 at 11:29pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:55am
Brian maybe you were looking at B26240's reply but he didn't really say Allis didn't offer an adapter either. Not important. I wonder, did Allis buy that adapter or did they build it? One of my brothers has at least one of those Allis adapters.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:37am
CTuckerNWILL,
I appologize for my statement; I agree, as far as I know Allis did not make 3PH equipment in those early years.
Instead, they sold a 3PH adaptor so that farmers could use 3PH equipment from other Mfgrs.
They sold both standard Cat I and  Heavy Duty Cat II units and they were availablbe for the WD, WD-45 and the D-10 thru D-17 models as well as a model especialy for the D-10 and D-12 High Clearance tractors.
A-C did not use chains to prevent sway; instead they used the bracket shown in my prior post.
Their adaptor was equipped with light chains that I assume were there  simply to keep the lift arms from dragging on the ground or flopping out and hitting the tires.
Here are a coupla pictures:
#4 in the first picture shows the cross arm where the top link would attach to take advantage of the "traction Control" feature.
The second picture shows the top-link and the bracket that clamps to the rocker shaft.
I assume these adaptors were built by someone else.....maybe Oxnard?, considering the similarity of the wheel used on the top-link and the one used on the Oxnard back blade.

Edited by Brian G. NY - 25 Jul 2012 at 8:41am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 3:20pm
Found this Pic of an A-C 3PH with the "low-down" top-link bracket over on the Yesterday's Tractors Site.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:22pm
Cannot thank all of you enough.

I am very happy with all the responses that I am receiving thus far on my question about the 3pt hitch system shown in the beginning of this topic.   Always will I welcome more comments, and especially photos.

Special appreciation goes out to Brian G and CTuckerNWIL, for the great drawings and photos, that better help me what I have, or, the pieces that I do have in the 3ph system on my WD45.  It is the photos that help someone like me who has been off the farm for about 40 years, and cannot remember if the CASE tractor that we had was solid orange, or, cream and orange.  In other words, it has been a very long time since I have been around a tractor.

A Potato Plow came with the property, and I just traded the in rough condition bush hog that was here for a better used one.   I have our former neighbor from 40+ years ago, coming buy tonight, or, Thursday night to look at the tractor and tell me what plow, disk, mower and rake I can use with it.  He sells used implements, and has a some  knowledge about old AC tractors that he can give me a bit of guidance in buying used implements.

Photos and comments are still welcome on this 3ph topic. 

Thank you all.

I have an AC fork lift for the WD45 arriving on the 3rd from Illinois, that I hope will not be interfered with by the brush guard on my tractor.  What do you think? Will it work, or, is the guard going to prevent proper operation of the forklift?

AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:41pm
dont believe AC had a front mounted fork lift for the WD45?

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Steve Zidlicky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Zidlicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:39pm
Dexter, one thing that no one has mentioned or else I missed it -- take those bolted on plates off of the tractor lift arms and get a set of the factory lift latches to hook up to. You do not have a safety release as it is set up now. that can be a very dangerous issue if the loop under the tractor comes undone. also the leveling box is only used on the right hand side.  You have a good portion of a factory 3 point conversion that someone has really "engineered" and did not know or care any better. look closely at the hitch picture on the tractor that Brian G posted and along with the diagram you should figure it out.  the sway chains attach to the brackets where the drawbar bail would pin to when in use. the chains are attached to a piece of pipe with flat metal welded to it and it fits between the brackets and a rod goes through the whole assy and has a cotter pin on each end.  If I am not mistaken the rod is 3/4 dia.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:42pm
This is the front end loader that the  guy said that he took off of a WD45, plus, the photo of my WD45 with brush guard.  I am a bit worried that the Brush Guard will prevent successful operation of the front end loader pictured.   I is due to arrive on the 3rd of August.  I have not yet paid for it.  Payment on Delivery.

What say you all about the brush guard and loader operation?

Thank you,

Dex

ALLIS FROM THE FRONT-SMALLER.jpg

file:///C:/TRACTORS%20and%20TRUCKS/loader%20%23%202%20Spartar%20%20Allis%20Chalmers%20loader.jpg

http://webmail.socket.net/?_task=mail&_action=get&_mbox=INBOX&_uid=6102&_part=2
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexter Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 9:28pm
OOPS,  Photos didn't come through, though showed in my reply block.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic