This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis b Ross steering box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis b Ross steering box
    Posted: 25 Oct 2024 at 6:11am
Can someone please tell me if the pin that rides inside the worm gear is round or oblong? I have looked at various pictures and it appears to be round and somewhat coned down. I need to build mine up and like toget it shaped right the first try.if anyone has any measurements that would be great to...Tia
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2024 at 2:19pm
saw this on the internet several years ago.. I made a couple useing these numbers.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hardwater000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2024 at 2:31pm
That helps a lot thank you.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2024 at 10:26pm
Do have part number 
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:07am
Mike, I don’t think Allis ever sold just the pin, parts book only shows the lever the pin is in, Deere did sell the pin alone, Allis chose not to.

Edited by JoeM(GA) - Yesterday at 6:08am
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:15am
Yes sorry that’s what I meant. We have some nos shafts 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 47 minutes ago at 11:38am
My pin does not appear to drive out. I used a punch but no outline of the pin on backside of shaft. Numerous post I have studied on says they drive out. And another question I have 20 ball bearings but looks like it could easily hold at least 1 more any info much appreciated
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 58 minutes ago at 12:27pm
Nos shafts is that your personal collection or for sale?
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 29 minutes ago at 1:56pm
If you just touch the back of the arm where the pin is with a flap disc, you’ll see the outline of the pin, it’s in there good!
Parts book calls for 20 balls for B & IB, 24 for C

Edited by JoeM(GA) - 17 hours 27 minutes ago at 1:58pm
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 36 minutes ago at 2:49pm
no way the pin could be MADE on the end of the shaft. It has been pressed in... I have had to center punch and drill one out before that was TOO TIGHT..... also possible that someone instalaled a new pin and welded the back side, then ground it flush so it looks like one piece ?

YES-- 20 balls as shown in the drawing.. you want some clearance for them to roll and carry oil / grease.. Very low speed application.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 42 minutes ago at 3:43pm
May of been welded haven't gave up yet. On the bearings I will recount again but it appears that I had plenty of room for 1 maybe 2 but they do need room for oil and grease like said above
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 19 minutes ago at 4:06am
Hi I knocked my pin out turn it 90 degrees and put it back in so it now runs on the unworn face.
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardwater000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 45 minutes ago at 5:40am
I read on another topic while searching that someone did that, but mine is wore bad enough that it has to be reworked or try to buy a new one probably will rework considering the prices I have seen on new pins.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic