This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GMC 6.0 gas running rough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GMC 6.0 gas running rough
    Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 5:46am
I recently thought I got some bad gas.
I ran a can of sea foam through it after a fuel filter change.
Didn’t seem to help. It runs normal down the road until you start to pull a hill then it will sputter. If you gas it and kick it down it clears up and does fine.
Also sputters when taking off from a stop.
No engine lights are on.
My next step will be plugs and wires.
Should I get the kit with coils as well?
Any other ideas?
It’s due plugs and wires anyway but I’m hoping that’s it.
Sponsored Links

ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 7:17am
May well be no warning lights on, but you could do a lot worse than look for any codes if you have access to a reader. Many issues can be "pending" meaning the light won't be triggered until it occurs a given amount of times but you'll still have a code or two, also live data can give clues (things like comparing MAF or MAP readings at a given RPM with known-good data available online, which can tell out a vacuum leak, or long term fuel trims being more than 10% either way giving you a clue as to whether it's going rich or lean, or in your case misfire counters may tell if it's a specific cylinder/s a single bank or the whole engine acting out).

Still do plugs/wires as it's due, but don't "parts cannon" anything else without having some direction from the numbers.

Edited by ekjdm14 - 26 Sep 2024 at 7:19am
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 8:09am
I had basically the same problem with my F150, 5.4 engine, but it did finally show a cylinder 5 misfire. It threw this code twice but cleared on it’s own both times. I figure it may have been gas with too much ethanol. It has run good after a couple of fill ups from a better gas station. I hope it’s not the ECM wanting to go south on me. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 8:13am

Well,,Ole Buddy,,those right there are the issues that make you want to light a fire in it,,,BTDT,,,A Good OBDII reader is what is needed for guidance for a starting point,,,,,AND ,,,I happen to have one,,,,Wink  if you can keep ole Faithful running for a bit longer,,,,I'm thinking I'll be able to hand my OBDII to you before too long,,,,,WinkWink
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 8:39am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,Ole Buddy,,those right there are the issues that make you want to light a fire in it,,,BTDT,,,A Good OBDII reader is what is needed for guidance for a starting point,,,,,AND ,,,I happen to have one,,,,Wink  if you can keep ole Faithful running for a bit longer,,,,I'm thinking I'll be able to hand my OBDII to you before too long,,,,,WinkWink

How long??? 😀
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 9:10am
What year, I had the same problem with a 2000 vortec. On the fuel bar there is a small rubber hose attached to fuel pressure "gizmo" on the bar . Pull hose off ,if fuel squirts out diaphragm inside has ruptured and is messing up fuel pressure to injectors. Mine was a 5.3 but was doing exactly what yours is . Wish I knew exact terminology and may not be related but easy fix it it is. Fuel pressure regulator maybe

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 26 Sep 2024 at 9:14am
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 9:38am
Fuel pressure regulator is one item that was a recall on engine , other thing is dirty fuel rail - have codes read . bad EGR is another item on list . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Gerry D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 12:44pm
Run all the gas out of the tank .Change plugs, wires and filter fill with fresh gas and if that does not help go to a shop and get them to diagnose it. JMO
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 6:38pm
check misfire counts probley bad coil
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 6:46pm
Fuel pump? What year is it and what mileage?
Darb210 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 8:07pm
clean the throttle body butterfly plate!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 45 minutes ago at 5:32am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Fuel pump? What year is it and what mileage?

2000 just replaced the fuel pump about 3 months ago. 600000 miles on it.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 1 minutes ago at 8:16am

WOW

A GMC Gas Pick-up with 600,000 miles on it, and it's just starting to Sputter a bit.

Amazing! but true.

G
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 31 minutes ago at 10:46am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

WOW

A GMC Gas Pick-up with 600,000 miles on it, and it's just starting to Sputter a bit.

Amazing! but true.

G

Well, to give the thing it's dues it is a 2000 model so a whole lot less complicated than more modern trucks. (not up on my American vehicles, would this be an LS or an old-skool SBC?) 600k though, that's impressive no matter what era it's from.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 21 minutes ago at 11:56am
Originally posted by ekjdm14 ekjdm14 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

WOW

Amazing! but true.

G

Well, to give the thing it's dues it is a 2000 model so a whole lot less complicated than more modern trucks. (not up on my American vehicles, would this be an LS or an old-skool SBC?) 600k though, that's impressive no matter what era it's from.

LS 6.0
Gerry D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 34 minutes ago at 1:43pm
I bet you did regular oil changes. That's the only way to get high mileage out of engines.I have a 6.0 with 400,000 and change oil and filter every 3000 miles. Castrol GTX 5-30 and only WIX filters.Never added oil between oil changes. I hope you sort out your issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic