URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=203391
Printed Date: 28 Sep 2024 at 1:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: GMC 6.0 gas running rough
Posted By: Thad in AR.
Subject: GMC 6.0 gas running rough
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 5:46am
I recently thought I got some bad gas.
I ran a can of sea foam through it after a fuel filter change.
Didn’t seem to help. It runs normal down the road until you start to pull a hill then it will sputter. If you gas it and kick it down it clears up and does fine.
Also sputters when taking off from a stop.
No engine lights are on.
My next step will be plugs and wires.
Should I get the kit with coils as well?
Any other ideas?
It’s due plugs and wires anyway but I’m hoping that’s it.

Replies:
Posted By: ekjdm14
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 7:17am
May well be no warning lights on, but you could do a lot worse than look for any codes if you have access to a reader. Many issues can be "pending" meaning the light won't be triggered until it occurs a given amount of times but you'll still have a code or two, also live data can give clues (things like comparing MAF or MAP readings at a given RPM with known-good data available online, which can tell out a vacuum leak, or long term fuel trims being more than 10% either way giving you a clue as to whether it's going rich or lean, or in your case misfire counters may tell if it's a specific cylinder/s a single bank or the whole engine acting out).

Still do plugs/wires as it's due, but don't "parts cannon" anything else without having some direction from the numbers.

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 8:09am
I had basically the same problem with my F150, 5.4 engine, but it did finally show a cylinder 5 misfire. It threw this code twice but cleared on it’s own both times. I figure it may have been gas with too much ethanol. It has run good after a couple of fill ups from a better gas station. I hope it’s not the ECM wanting to go south on me. 

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 8:13am

Well,,Ole Buddy,,those right there are the issues that make you want to light a fire in it,,,BTDT,,,A Good OBDII reader is what is needed for guidance for a starting point,,,,,AND ,,,I happen to have one,,,,Wink  if you can keep ole Faithful running for a bit longer,,,,I'm thinking I'll be able to hand my OBDII to you before too long,,,,,WinkWink

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 8:39am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,Ole Buddy,,those right there are the issues that make you want to light a fire in it,,,BTDT,,,A Good OBDII reader is what is needed for guidance for a starting point,,,,,AND ,,,I happen to have one,,,,Wink  if you can keep ole Faithful running for a bit longer,,,,I'm thinking I'll be able to hand my OBDII to you before too long,,,,,WinkWink

How long??? 😀

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 9:10am
What year, I had the same problem with a 2000 vortec. On the fuel bar there is a small rubber hose attached to fuel pressure "gizmo" on the bar . Pull hose off ,if fuel squirts out diaphragm inside has ruptured and is messing up fuel pressure to injectors. Mine was a 5.3 but was doing exactly what yours is . Wish I knew exact terminology and may not be related but easy fix it it is. Fuel pressure regulator maybe

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 9:38am
Fuel pressure regulator is one item that was a recall on engine , other thing is dirty fuel rail - have codes read . bad EGR is another item on list . 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: Gerry D17
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 12:44pm
Run all the gas out of the tank .Change plugs, wires and filter fill with fresh gas and if that does not help go to a shop and get them to diagnose it. JMO

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 6:38pm
check misfire counts probley bad coil

Posted By: Ed (Ont)
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 6:46pm
Fuel pump? What year is it and what mileage?

Posted By: Darb210
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2024 at 8:07pm
clean the throttle body butterfly plate!!

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2024 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Fuel pump? What year is it and what mileage?

2000 just replaced the fuel pump about 3 months ago. 600000 miles on it.

Posted By: Gary
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2024 at 8:16am

WOW

A GMC Gas Pick-up with 600,000 miles on it, and it's just starting to Sputter a bit.

Amazing! but true.

G

Posted By: ekjdm14
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2024 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

WOW

A GMC Gas Pick-up with 600,000 miles on it, and it's just starting to Sputter a bit.

Amazing! but true.

G

Well, to give the thing it's dues it is a 2000 model so a whole lot less complicated than more modern trucks. (not up on my American vehicles, would this be an LS or an old-skool SBC?) 600k though, that's impressive no matter what era it's from.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2024 at 11:56am
Originally posted by ekjdm14 ekjdm14 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

WOW

Amazing! but true.

G

Well, to give the thing it's dues it is a 2000 model so a whole lot less complicated than more modern trucks. (not up on my American vehicles, would this be an LS or an old-skool SBC?) 600k though, that's impressive no matter what era it's from.

LS 6.0

Posted By: Gerry D17
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2024 at 1:43pm
I bet you did regular oil changes. That's the only way to get high mileage out of engines.I have a 6.0 with 400,000 and change oil and filter every 3000 miles. Castrol GTX 5-30 and only WIX filters.Never added oil between oil changes. I hope you sort out your issue.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net