This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help on AC 45 Grader Power Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on AC 45 Grader Power Steering
    Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 11:03pm
Our AC 45 has developed a problem with the steering.

The wheel locks up a little, particularly turning left.  If you rock it gently it will activate the assist and start moving but not always cleanly.  Less so on going right.

I've taken the steering wheel shaft off the box and that assembly isn't binding.  Working the steering box with a bolt through  the hole in the input shaft reproduces the lock-up symptoms.

I've been through the steering box itself (earlier posts here) as I had to rebuild the tapered spline on the output shaft but didn't take the worm out of the box or go into the control valve assembly.  I didn't find out about the adjusting screw on the power unit until later so didn't check where that was for setting, which is 1/8th of a turn by the book.

Next step looks like splitting the front end as it looks like that is where you get to the adjusting screw.  Then seeing if that adjustment makes a difference.

The parts book shows shims on either side of the "worm driving bevel gear" on the steering worm with the note "use as required".  There are no details on how you do the setting of this in the shop manual I have.

Any extra information would be handy, so TIA
Sponsored Links

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 4:24pm
Update

A couple of cans of whip-arse and I plucked up courage and started. 

You need to split the front to get to that adjuster.  But not SO bad.  Ours has had the lean drive replaced with hydraulics so no need to disconnect that.  And the short front shaft in the steering has been "farmerised" and doesn't slide so you need to disconnect at the box - there is enough room if you take the nut off the front shaft bearing holder so you can lift  the shaft.  You get swearing practice at the lack of room there, particularly for getting the bolt out of the u-joint and if you drop anything.  There are still two bolts in that housing somewhere.

Then take all the frame bolts out and drop two long 3/4 inch bolts through as locaters and lift the frame about six inches to get at the adjuster. 

Which I reset to the book 1/8 of a turn and things seem to work for now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic