This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Fuel Dragster ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Fuel Dragster ??
    Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:11pm
Was informed that these engines hold 30 qts. of oil and is dumped every run OuchConfused . Is there merit to this information ?? 
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:16pm
Nope
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:23pm
Since they get rebuilt after every run, I would think they would get fresh oil as well, don't know about the 30qts.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:39pm
Was seeing if Freegas would even make attempt at a net search

I Do know the more common spec
He would not believe that either
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:02pm
the "OIL" they run would be unrecognizable to him... and most others.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:49pm
I think Freebie dumps 30 quarts of beer every Saturday night - down his gullet.LOL

Edited by AllisFreak MN - 20 Jun 2022 at 8:49pm
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:58pm
More than likely some sort of synthetic. Way, way, more advanced than automotive motor oil. As for dumping after every race? I wouldn’t doubt it, with engine rebuild after every race, and the desire to squeeze every available hp from the engine, there may not be an oil cooler, very minimal oil pump, running at very high temps, etc. So fresh oil for the very run, is not unimaginable.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 9:05pm
the cost of 30qts of new oil is NOTHING compared to destroying an engine using used oil that has 1 sliver of steel from a previous run....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:18pm
being dry sump pans they my have a large oil tank to pump cooler oil
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 6:23am
TBH
These engines are configured quite different from other engines.

Yes dry sump but only 12 Qts on average. No cooling system as do not need where the massive flow of air and alcohol does act to cool them
Engine only has two rings, oil control and a compression changed every tear down which leads to oil itself.
Most use a basic 70 wt oil, clearances in the engine are not designed for longevity but duration of race. Oil becomes so alcohol diluted during a run it has to be discarded, as the injection system floods the cylinders with the fuel much of which gets past the rings.

They are far from economical as consume some four to five gallons of Nitromethane Methanol fuel for a quarter mile.
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 9:10am
https://www.hotcars.com/insane-facts-you-never-knew-about-top-fuel-dragsters/
If you ever get to attend an NHRA event, just set in the pits next to one of the teams and watch what they do between runs...Most impressive...especially when the rebuild is complete and they fire the engine up on gasoline for few seconds until the nitro-methane gets ignited...dang, earplugs and respirators help. BBRRUUMMP. Watching videos is never good enough to experience verses in person. My son works for a company that sponsored Brittney Force's top fuel dragster, I got to stand right behind that monster on the starting line during qualifying run. Nothing compares to that launch. Period.  
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 12:51pm
Setting in the grandstands at Top Fuel event is ridiculous (in a good way). I cant imagine being at the starting line.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 2:16pm
Never been to a top fuel drag event.  But, I can remember the first tractor pull I went to at Bowling Green, OH and the Ohio State Fair!  Similar awakening to having "seen" it on TV I'm sure.  Even the time 43 cars came by me at 200mph as I was walking by the fence!  Some things the ol' TV doesn't do justice for sure!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 2:32pm
The motor is pretty much tearing itself apart in that run. I would almost bet the oil is shot. 

Ok so the pullers must do the same
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 5:02pm
There used to be a IHRA sanctioned track on part of the old air base at Scribner NE. Once a year, the top fuel dragsters would be there. Always amazed my how when those cars would go by, my fountain pop would fizz over the top, just from the vibrations.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 5:13pm
I used to change the oil on my dirt cars every other week. 7quarts.
I also changed back and right front tires every week or every other at the least.
I bought Hoosier 970’s by the pickup load.
Imagine all the tires used up in a NASCAR weekend.
I think I read once that cup averages 400 Goodyears a week???
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

TBH
These engines are configured quite different from other engines.

Yes dry sump but only 12 Qts on average. No cooling system as do not need where the massive flow of air and alcohol does act to cool them
Engine only has two rings, oil control and a compression changed every tear down which leads to oil itself.
Most use a basic 70 wt oil, clearances in the engine are not designed for longevity but duration of race. Oil becomes so alcohol diluted during a run it has to be discarded, as the injection system floods the cylinders with the fuel much of which gets past the rings.

They are far from economical as consume some four to five gallons of Nitromethane Methanol fuel for a quarter mile.
Thank you for the clarification of "quantity" of the oil, I knew it was a separate sump, and my friend said it was due to MAJOR fuel contamination as well as metal pollution during runs  
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Was seeing if Freegas would even make attempt at a net search

I Do know the more common spec
He would not believe that either

You guys ARE my "net  search" SmileClap
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I also changed back and right front tires every week or every other at the least.
I would have guessed more than that, but that's what it would have been, a guess.
that would be 9.3 tires per car, or 2.3 changes per car per race. I know they don't always take four, and there are always some who drop our early, but still seems low to me. but I was wrong once before......well, i thought I was wrong, turns out I was mistaken!

Edited by LouSWPA - 21 Jun 2022 at 10:25pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 5:14am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

I would have guessed more than that, but that's what it would have been, a guess.
that would be 9.3 tires per car, or 2.3 changes per car per race. I know they don't always take four, and there are always some who drop our early, but still seems low to me. but I was wrong once before......well, i thought I was wrong, turns out I was mistaken!

I believe you’d be correct. There are 160 on the ground at any given time not counting backup cars.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 5:19am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Lou I just did a quick search.
Cup is allowed 15 sets of tires per team for the Daytona 500.
That would be 2400 for that weekend just the cup teams.👀
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 10:52am
I thought I read somewhere those top fuel dragsters burn like 12 to 15 gallons of fuel in their 1/4-mile run.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Wayne180d Wayne180d wrote:

I thought I read somewhere those top fuel dragsters burn like 12 to 15 gallons of fuel in their 1/4-mile run.
Damn DUDE Cry, you're going to get FLAMED for that harrassy  without "due-diligence" on google EmbarrassedLOL !!!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 6:19pm
Shoot, Mr Blobby drinks that much beer, in the same amount of time!Beer
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 8:08am
What is harrassy????
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 8:14am
I think it was supposed to be 'harryass' whatever that means in the context of the comment.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 8:22am
That's what I thought too.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:18am
harry ass is what you get when you SIT in your Blue Oval, and SET at a RR crossings for 25 minutes , drinking beer in the hot sun.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 8:19am
Back in the late 1970's I was in the Marines and was stationed near the old Orange County International Raceway (now defunct) in southern California. My buddies and I regularly attended the drag races there and at that time it was easy to get into the pits to watch the race crews.

There were mostly Keith Black  and Donovan hemi engines being used at that time; those engines have the entire bottom end designed as one piece, what would be the oil pan has the main bearing caps built into it as a large, sturdy framework.

When they drained the oil out it was a nasty, yellowish, stinky mess from the nitro-methane contamination after just one pass down the strip.

Using air tools they could pull the "oil pan" in less than a minute; back then they didn't always pull the pistons and heads every run but I believe they may do that nowadays, I haven't really kept up with the craft in recent years.

ET's were in the low 6's then with the fastest cars breaking into the high 5's. I understand they are quite a bit quicker than that now.

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 11:11am
I think Eddie Hill went 3.99 several years ago
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic