This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The lust for john deere??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ SCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 12:33pm
If you are really serious about a good solid rotary cutter, hold your pocketbook, cry a bunch and buy a Schulte.  The quality will be remembered long, long after the higher price is forgiven.
I have Schulte V-1280 and it is TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 12:37pm
Coke I have a squealer and wouldn't recomend it to anyone. Although living in the Ozarks will get the goodie out of any mower.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by bigal121892 bigal121892 wrote:

Lon, if you read my original post, I said the the 4020 had the original bearings in the engine. Yes the top end had been overhauled. Since this tractor was used so much, we changed oil in the engine every 75 hours, and the rest of the oils every year. You have to remember, for most of this tractors life, it was never worked hard. We also had a 7010 that had 17,000 hours on it. This tractor had one overhaul, and that was due to electrolysis in the lower part of the block. Also on the 7010, every year we would pull the top off the differential, and replace the shaft that went through the spider gears. Over the years, we have found that this was the weak spot of the rear end of these tractors, especially if used during the winter as yard tractors.

Yes, I see that there was more than what I understood. Dad put 12,000 hrs on his gasser XT before I put in pistons and sleeves. It just needed standard bearings. Not bad for a gas tractor. It had 2,500 hrs on it when he got it and we don't know it's history before. I did hit a small sinkhole when moving round bales with it back in the eighties. Hit so hard I hit my head on the cab ceiling. A couple months later the axle bearing went out when plowing on that same side. The race was cracked. 

On the final drive of the 7010, when I worked at the Allis dealer back in the early 90's we rarely heard of any final drive problems but not too many were yard tractors. The 4 years I spent at the Allis dealer we had one go out in a 7020 and one in the abused 7040 that I had mentioned before earlier. Other than shift cables and nickel and dime minor things the 7000 series and 8000 series were very reliable for Allis. Other than the crank issues with some of the 7080's and the occasional burned through sleeve from a dripping injector and of course the electrolysis caused problems. But having worked at both CaseIH and Allis dealers I can say with confidence that the Allis tractors are much more reliable. They still don't carry the resale of a lot of IH tractors. So in short what I'm saying is Deere has great resale not just because they have good equipment but because of it's stability. 

I have old equipment guides from the 70's and Allis 7000 series had as good resale as Deere and the combines had superior resale even when the initial cost was lower when new.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by LoggerLee LoggerLee wrote:

(those two brands also seem like the type you can put anyone on and they'll hold up,some other brands need to be run a certain way,by actual "operators")

I've seen some toilets even in green that people, not operators, have managed to run into the ground so I wouldn't agree with that so much. Ever seen how costly syncronizers can get? Then there's the clutch jobs that a 4020 will need eventually after normal use. You can't slip that dry clutch much without eventually paying for it. Dad's D17 has had one clutch job all it's life or at least since 73' when he bought it cause the hand clutch was used for almost everything except when going from forward to reverse. It had a loader on it so that's why it got it's only clutch job. That tractor got ran everyday until he quit milking in 97'. One day Dad and I dug out all the receipts for work done to it. I overhauled the engine in 93' and that's when I put a clutch in it. Governor weights came apart in mid 80's. In 73 when he got it the hydraulic cylinder in the rear end needed a seal kit. New bushings in the front axle in 98'. That's it. Oh a new Nelson muffler in 93' too. Still on the tractor today as is the loader. That tractor did all the manure hauling in the winter every other day and all the snow bucking (lots of snow back then like this year). All the feed grinding. All the silage (bucking from a silage pile) and round bale hauling in the winter which was every day. A lot of the planting. Most of the discing and all of the cultivating until the D19 we got in 87 took over the discing and cultivating. It did all the square baling and all the grain drilling. Although the WD was the first tractor I ever drove it's the 17 I learned to do almost everything on. That was and still is a good tractor. Needs the hand clutch ramps and rollers replaced now.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 1:19pm
4020 is one of the only john deeres that i like.
but why buy an expensive john deere when you can buy an allis that is so much better
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 1:19pm
I really think the dealer is the key.  Sure there are people who bleed green or orange but if the dealer is fairly close, gives good service and is honest, they are the ones who are going to stay in business, and get the business.  My nearest dealer is a JD/MF (mostly for the Hesston hay equipment)  They nearly lost their JD dealership a couple years ago but only kept it because the BIG chain dealer 40 miles up the road didn't want to open another store, or take over the existing dealer, for whatever reason.  The parts and sales people are great to work with and have gone out of their way to get an AC part for me when they didn't have to.  Most of my hay equipment is Hesston so perhaps they want to keep me as a customer.  The Ford (NH) dealer that went out of business a year ago was the one with an attitude.  Most real farmers went up the road 45 miles to the next Ford store because of the way we were treated by the sales people.  Parts guys weren't quite as bad but their prices were always 15% higher then the dealer up the road.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 2:48pm
JD engineers designed the 4020 and 3020 in isolation over about a four year period. The only constraint they had was to fit the size of the 720/730. They looked at V and flat engines. The transmission gets the effect of two separate gear boxes all in one short transmission with three shafts (plus a reverse shaft). Its confusing to shift until you learn it. The shifter is set up as three gears synchronized (two forward, one reverse) and four ranges unsynchronized. The dry clutch is fairly hefty and lasts pretty good. Its not messy to replace.

When I went shopping for a taller tractor to suppliment my MF-135 on my farm but to allow more crop clearance for cultivating and spraying, I looked at AC and others, but for EACH AC I found for sale, I found 2 dozen 65 to 90 HP JD new generation tractors and when a dealer had an AC, he wanted more than the JDs brought. I bought a gas 4020 because the green paint premium wasn't nearly so much and I know how to tune a gas tractor. Its needed ignition work twice in the last decade, once when I got it and once last year partly from not being run for a year. At this age a diesel 4020 is on its first injection pump rebuild for about $500 (same pump was used on some AC diesels that shells out the plastic governor ring wiith age) that would have bought 15 or 20 sets of plugs and points for the gas 4020. Yes the gas 4020 is one of the poorest tractors for fuel economy, but with steering by power and brakes by power, its one of the tractors that takes the least effort to drive. No one ever looks for aftermarket power steering to add because it didn't come any other way. And for the $4k premium price of a diesel ten years ago, I figured I could buy all my gasoline for the 4020 for about 14 years. Turned out it needed a bit of tuning and I was able to improve on that considerably. Cut the consumption from 400 gallons the first year to 250 after that. Doing the same work that the MF-135 did on 110 gallons in three times as many days of field work. The AC 2000 monobeam plow was a good load for the 4020. And covered a lot more ground per day than the 2 bottom Case plow did with the MF-135.

The selection of the used JD was much greater in that size tractor than any AC. So I went green. I pulled implements of all colors.

Gerald J.
RSallis-pullinMD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSallis-pullinMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 3:37pm
I don't lust for Deere,I just use common sense,we have to look at service and parts when we work our equipment for a living.I have 5 JD tractors and work all of these on a daily basis and our dealer is only 6 miles from my driveway.Have New Holland dealer about some distance but not the reputation of the Deere dealer.When my dad and I farmed all AC we had one dealer 5 miles and 2 more within 20 miles and 1 more about 30 miles.Today our closest AC dealer over 100 miles in another state.NO BRAINER!!!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 6:53pm
The isolation Gerald talks about was a building I remember as a Super Valu grocery store on Falls ave just up from Ansborough ave in Waterloo.
Weather we like them or hate them, they had a power shift trans long before A-C did.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Russ SCPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ SCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 6:55pm
R50 here has a sticker from a Deutz Allis dealer in Salisbury, Md. 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 7:19pm
JD bought the patent rights to Ford's select O Speed transmission and then proceeded to remove two speeds from it.  I do think linkage is better then cables for shifting transmissions but which is cheaper to rebuild/replace.  Sometimes my 7580 is a mystery shift. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:09pm
And JD hired Ford's transmission designer so he knew what was wrong with his first design and avoided those problems with the JD Power Shift.

Cables rust in place, linkages wear loose at the joints. Both need maintenance.

Gerald J.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 9:09pm
I don't know about lusting for a Deere tractor, I'm not a Deere hater but the tractors aren't high on my preferences, though a old 60 might be tempting if was cheap and nice LOL.

We've had several green planters and combines but the only green tractor was dads first tractor, an A he bought brand new. He was never very happy with it. His next tractor was a Massey 44, then he replaced the A with a WD45. We've had AC's from then on, a series I D17 diesel, a series IV D17 gas, a couple 190 XTs, an 8600 Ford and a 7060.

As I grew up, besides our tractors I ran neighbors IH H, M, 460 and 560, assorted little Fords, JD 50, 60, 70, 3010 and 4020. I would take our series IV D17 over anything on that list other than the 4020, and I would preferr our series III XT to a 4020 any day. 

Later on after we had the 7060 I ran friends 966, 1066 and 4430. The 966 and 1066 cabs and controlls were not as well designed as our 7060 and the IH rear ends howled like a banshi. The Quad range transmission on the 4430 was always getting stuck in park and the Sound Gaurd was cramped with poor visability compared to the 7060 not to mention I've always thought they were the ugliest tractor Deere ever built.

Today my work tractors are my 8050 and my venerable 7060. My neighbor and I work back and forth, he has a 4455 with a Sound Guard cab and a Quad Range transmission that always gets stuck in park (and it's butt ugly), and an 8100 that is a pretty sweet tractor. The 8100 is pretty close to what I think the 8050/8070 would have evovled into if AC had survived.

I also think Deeres 7000 series is the best looking tractors they've ever built. I'd like a 7800 to replace the old 7060 but their high resale value means there are other colors just as good that will be a better buy. High resale value is great on your balance sheet or if you trade for new every few years. But if your like me and buy 10 or 15 year tractors and keep them for 10 years or more it's not really a plus.

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 9:45pm
I was told by one feller I know that the new generation engines (3010/4010)were designed by Mack. I have never heard or seen anything to confirm this though. Ed.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 11:52pm
The books on the design of the JD new generation tractors puts the engine design purely on the crew in isolation. They apparently didn't consider out side sources. All they knew was that the 2 cylinder production machinery was about worn out so it was all going to be replaced. Though it was shipped to South America and two cylinder tractors were built there for several years more after the new generation tractors came  out in 1960.

Gerald J.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 2:44am
at the time i bought my 7010 new in 1980, it was $7000 cheaper that JD, and $3000 cheaper that IH, and had a 3 year warranty compared to JD and IH's 1 year warranty. i still have the 7010! when i bought it, i hooked a 5-bottom plow on and went plowing bottom ground, my neighbor had a new JD, but i can't remember the # of it...he had one of those extra fuel tanks mounted on the front. at noon he left to go home to refuel. i kept plowing, at about 5 pm he stopped before going home and asked if i had refueled yet? i hadn't, but was low on fuel, had about an 8th of a tank left. i think the 7010 holds about 50 or so gallons, thinking he went thru about 100 gallons or better that day, plowed same area, he was just across the field road we both shared on the same type ground.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 2:48am
also....what did JD ever really invent themselves...the 1 bottom plow pulled behing an oxen or horse? everything else they copied from other brands! and they still try to do it!  JD have lost so many patent infringement court cases than anyone else!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 2:49am
also.... i do know that val-mont in valley nebraska built their rear ends for them for many years!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:03am
i still have my 7010, still a good tractor, has never been apart for anything. i did have a new valve cover gasket put on once, and a new turbo this year, 1 new window glass that a neighbor kid shot out, other that tires/batteries/and the usual up keep, it still runs great and everything still works...oh yeah, i did replace the AC compressor last year. the neighbor i was talking about in the previous post, has replaced his JD tractors about 7-8 times since 1980.....whose pockets has he padded?? i just keep putting all that money in my pockets. that where all the resale money is! i think if i would just give that tractor away to someone, i would still be money ahead!
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 10:09am
Deere won one patent infringement case against IH for their corn head. IH copied it so close that IH parts would pass Deere parts inspections.

Gerald J.
Terry G View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 10:58am
My dad bought an almost new 4020 with power shift at a farm auction back in the 60's for $5000.00.  A few years back he and his friend were at a farm auction and one sold for almost $10,000.  His buddy that was with him at the first auction looked at him and said didn't you pay $ 5000 for yours 35 years ago? Dad is retired now in NE SD but still has his 4020 and 620.  He and his friend did have reversed AC wc or wd's in the 70's.  

Edited by Terry G - 02 Jan 2011 at 10:59am
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 12:39pm
There are two generations of 4020. The older on has the hydraulic and three point controls on the dash, the later has a side console between the seat and the right fender. I think they sold in the $7K range when new depending on options. The older 4020s are selling today for 6 to 10K, 6 for gas, 10 for diesel. The later 4020 sell for up to 14 or 15K. The diesel aren't nearly the fuel hogs of the gas, but there were a few tractors with poorer fuel economy. But when I bought my gas 4020 about ten years ago for $5250, I figured I could buy all its gasoline for 14 years with the $4K price premium for a diesel.

Gerald J.
BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 1:50pm
At the present time I have (2) 185's..A 6060..7045 and a 8070.I just sold my 7020 and 7060.On the JD side I have a 4640..2640....2630 and a 2030.I have always like the AC's and still do.BUT the JD's have been good tractors and theres no comparison when it comes to dealers,parts, or resale value.I have heard of how more economical the AC's are compared to the JD's in fuel consumption but I can't see that much difference.When pulling hard the 8070 and 7045 both use the fuel,I have heard that switching to Bosh injectors would really help but haven't changed any yet.I love the AC's and have heard how much better the 8000 series were than the 40 series JD but I'll have to say that the JD 4640 can stay up with the AC 8070 fwa in dry ground.If a younger man is planning on staying in business for the long term he needs to be running green tractors.I know some will totally disagree with me and I don't plan on selling any of my AC's (still love them) but thats the way I see it.BStone
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 1:55pm
Ilove John Deere people they make life so much more interesting. A 4020 with 37,000 hrs thats impressive, but the first problem is John Deere ran a 45 minute hour so if this tractor actually logged 37,000 hrs that would be 27,750hrs actual. The second problem with this senerio is he must have a very special 4020 to have a tach that actully worked that long, and the fact it didnt have a 5 digit tach.I personally overhauled a 200 that had logged 27,000 hrs on it, it spun a bearing finally, and the owners knew it was gettingbad but wanted to see just how far it would go. And to be totally honest the last years of it logging alot of hours werent hard labor either, but these same guys had a 220 that had 21,000 hrs on it that did hard labor. They also had an 8070 Fwa that got sold off when they died that got them $12,000 more for it than they paid bought in 1985 sold in 2009. So your JD resale doesnt fly, also John Deere didnt build an 8120 in 1991 and you didnt sell it for the same price you traded it in to your JD dealer who inflated the number to make you feel good about being screwed. I started farming with AC switched totally to JD in the 1990's figured the scam out with my checkbook quickly and got rid of John Deere not long after that, with no regrets I might ad. I sold machinery for dealers and sold equipmet on my own and I can tell you that JD resale is on a JD lot only, in real life it doesnt bring squat if it doesnt have JD financing behind it. Yes auctions do sometimes bring high prices but not nearly as often as you think, its a always a big deal to hear about a high dollar JD selling someplace, but I have seen actions where AC stuff brings high numbers but its not publicated in every farm magazine. John Deere is a mediocre product at best with the greatest marketing department in the world and if you fall for it that they did there job.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 2:10pm
Yah you have to look at the teeth to know a 4020's work history. Particularly the steering wheel, the pedals, and the generator pulley. I suspect mine has been around a while, the sides of the generator pulley were worn parallel. Didn't pull the generator very good. The water pump pulley was worn but not as much. Many a tachometer hasn't lasted the life of the tractor, whether JD or any other make. If it wasn't the tach it was the tach cable. But will any tractor made in 2011 still be running in2061? Likely the electronic parts will have been forgotten by then and can't be replicated one at a time for restoration.

Gerald J.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:31pm
This discussion is starting to look like fun.

Like I said before Allis had real good resale according to my Equipment Guide books I have from the 70's. What has changed for Allis since then. Bankruptcy ring a bell? I would sure hope and expect that equipment from a company that is still in business would have higher resale than equipment from a company that has been gone for 25 years.

What does a standard equipped 4020 have that a standard 190XT doesn't? I can tell you what a 190 XT has that a 4020 doesn't. Turbocharger for high torque and high fuel economy; opposed intake and exhaust for cooler running engine; an alternator instead of the pretty wimpy generator; dry air cleaner vs messy, frequently neglected oil bath; spin on oil filters vs messy canister style; easily power adjusted front and rear tread; tilt steering; big as a ballroom operator's platform; side console controls for all hydraulic functions, hi low shift and throttle; wet hand clutch; 48 gal fuel tank. Am I forgetting anything?

4020 has closed center hydraulics for fuel economy (how much more fuel would it have sucked with an open center pump?); power brakes; I can't think of anything else. Was the Independent PTO standard? If so then IPTO vs Live PTO.

Significant options for each: 190XT hydraulically actuated PTO clutch
                                         4020   8 speed Power Shift; Differential lock

Edited by Lonn - 02 Jan 2011 at 3:33pm
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 4:57pm
Your right Lonn.The AC's are a good investment for the money.I bought the 8070 fwa with 6675 hrs from the original owner in sept. of 09 for $10.650 55 miles from my place.He was a farmer who had been on AC tractors since the 60's but has gone to green.The JD dealer called me to come to the field and try it out....
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 5:08pm
4020 had independent PTO always. Didn't need a 6' long operator's deck to fit over two transmissions one behind the other, did it all in one short transmission box. 4020 went to dry air cleaner about 1965 at SN 91000. And unlike the 190 XT, the 4020 had enough pinions in the differential it didn't self destruct when worked. Had differential lock as an option also. Power steering and power brakes.

JD made 193,852 4020 and 4000 (stripped version) after 57,572 4010. Plus 87,993 3020 (four cylinder version) after 45,222 3010. AC only wished such production numbers.

Gerald J.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

4020 had independent PTO always. Didn't need a 6' long operator's deck to fit over two transmissions one behind the other, did it all in one short transmission box. 4020 went to dry air cleaner about 1965 at SN 91000. And unlike the 190 XT, the 4020 had enough pinions in the differential it didn't self destruct when worked. Had differential lock as an option also. Power steering and power brakes.

JD made 193,852 4020 and 4000 (stripped version) after 57,572 4010. Plus 87,993 3020 (four cylinder version) after 45,222 3010. AC only wished such production numbers.

Gerald J.

I knew I could get you going but the "6' long operator's deck" wasn't to cover up two transmissions. It was for operator comfort. The dry air cleaner came along in 68 for the 4020 I believe. True, the early 190's had differential problems but the 4020 Power Shift had it abortions too. They both had finger tip power steering. I don't know how many Deere heads I've talked to that thought no one had power steering like a 4020 and I mentioned the power brakes. If production numbers make them the best than you would have to admit the WD45 is better than a 60 or that any Gleaner Allis built from the mid 60's through the 70's is better than Deere's comparable models.

I like this discussion.

Edited by Lonn - 02 Jan 2011 at 5:37pm
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 6:12pm
4020 JD didnt destroy the tranny or rear ends because they had no power to do so the 404 engine even with a turbo was a huge Dog with a capitol D. Bolt a 301 turbo into your 4020 and see just how tough they actually are.Which reminds me of a story My friends dad had a 200 AC they bought new, for as long as they had it it pulled 5-18 plow and worked roughly 400 acres with a 18 ac disc and and a 20ft pony drag pulled behind. Around 1985 his son my friend bought a 4020, he was farming next door to his dad and didnt want to borrow the 200 anymore so he bought his own tractor and he thought the 4020 was just the greatest thing since sliced bread. He got the tractor around this time of year and in spring he decided to work his land for planting oats he went home unhooked the 200 from the disc pony drag combo hooked his 4020 to it and went home to work land unfolded the disc dropped the pony darg took off and sat right there, he unhooked the pony drag still couldnt pull it flipped up the wings on the disc and he could finally pull what a 200 had pulled for over 10 yrs. His dad thought it was hilarious and everytime I hear about how big and strong a 4020 is I remind of that day.The bottom line is the 4020 had features like a true live pto and hyd brakes, and a diff lock option, but at the end of the day an Allis Chlamers 190XT-200 would have buried that JD in work. And to any doubters, heres the challenge I have my uncles original 190xt S3 1970 model was the only 190XT AC made with 24.5-32 tires shipped from the factory, if you think your 4020 can take her in the field, on a chopper , blower or any other task bring it on, and bring money to bet because I know for an absoulute fact there is no standard 4020 even one with a turbo bolted on going to take it. We have had 4520 JD challenge it in the field, and 1066 IH both went home with there tail between there legs and the old XT standing proud.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic