This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how rare is a D17 Wheatland propane?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:27am
 Guys here is a good example for AGCO that the orange heritage is alive and well! Eldon and Ben your right on in your thinking that some of the gas models will get converted
however the engine serial number would be a dead give away. All of the gassers will
have a "M" prefix in the engine number like D171234M while the LP engines will be a "V"
code in the engine serial like D171234V. The "V" stands for the high compression piston,
or as we often mistake around here the the 175 gas piston. Really we should say the 175 gas tractors used the D17 LP piston as that was the original application. This isn't fool proof of course as you could simply convert a regular D17 LP tractor and I'm sure there are a few G226 power units with the LP setup. Production records indicate that
only 120 out of 11052 D17 tractors for 1959 and 287 out of 4,543 D17 tractors for 1960 had the LP engine, so yes John I would think this would make your regular propane
value go up as well. Also LP owners the high compresion piston other than an M&W to my knowledge is only available through AGCO certainly not Tisco and some of other kits available out their and I'm sure since this owners was to tight to buy new tires for the rear he would have certainly put the wrong pistons in it. Most collectors would prefer a
locked up original to a budget overhaul job.
 So Jim this would be the 3rd D17 western found. I wonder if you could email the seller
and get the engine serial number to?  International Harvestor marketed a 460 wheatland
in this time frame also with limited production and I know they get big money for them to.
Sponsored Links

acben20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acben20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:00pm
no i think some will take the wheatland parts off a gas tractor and put them on a factory 1960 LP tractor.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:39pm
I'm wondering if the buyer wanted it mainly because it was a wheatland(western) D17 or because it was a western LP?  Either way, it will be easy enough to put the western parts on a LP tractor like Ben said. 
Right now I have 25 accounted for in my registry, not including what Ben owns.  Most of these are gas models, two were regular 17s with the parts put on them, seven are diesels and three are LPs. 
Ben if you would I would like to have your numbers to put in here.  If anybody else has one that I dont know if I would like to hear about them!

Sorry Mike, but I did not take any engine numbers.

Thanks
Jim
MikeB (SD) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:50pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uez2CrDqD94
Here is a video of my neighbor's diesel version.
norm [ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm [ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 7:53pm
    the western or wheatlands d-17 were ordered from factory as such
    june 26/1960 price book SPECIAL EQUIPMENT
    INCLUDES7.50-16[6PLY] FRONT AND18.4-28[6PLY] REAR TIRES ON NON-POWER ADJUSTED WHEELS,SPECIAL FENDERS AND HEAVY DUTY MAXIMUM SWINGING
  DRAWBAR FOR 290886[GAS] --290890 [DIESEL ]  956 LBS.   $575.00
     MY CONTRIBUTION   FROM MY OLD PRICE BOOK AS A SALESMAN
norm [ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm [ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:04pm
  FROM MY  JUNE 26/1960 PRICE BOOK  WHEATLANDS WERE ORDERED BY THE DEALER AS SPEC IAL EQUIPMENT in cludes 7.50-16  6ply front tires and18.4-28 6ply
  rear tires non power adjusted wheels  special fenders and heavy duty maximum
 swinging drawbar  956lbs.  $575.00
   my contribution for you young guys
DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:03pm
Jim Here is the serial numbers from Bob Vanderploegs 6 Wheatlands.

Restored Diesel is 29789D
Restored Gas 28571
Restored LP 28122
Original  Mint Gas 25795
Need some work 29875D
Need some work 28712 LP with no motor.

Just got the serial numbers after work.

Take care, Darryl Krause in Lynden WA.

B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
MikeB (SD) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:51pm
Wow Darryl the original mint gas model with the serial number 25795 if that's correct
 could be very special, it is about 3,000 units earlier than all the rest. I wonder if Jim's recorded one earlier than that.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:44pm
Thanks Darryl but I already had his numbers down.  As far as the oldest one I have written down is #25747.  Sorry but I will not give out the location or owner of the tractor without the permission of the owner.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic