This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop WiFi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shop WiFi
    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 9:50am
My shop is 300-350 ft from the house and I would like to have WiFi in the shop. We have what I would consider good internet/ WiFi in the house. The shop is metal frame and tin.
Is there any good ideas to get WiFi out to shop? WiFi extender ?
Thanks
185 turbocharged w/ 500 loader , WD
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 10:36am
Bury a cat 5 or 6 wire and add a router a wireless wont reliably reach and wont work thru the steel. I have a wireless extender and it works only if I'm standing in the shop door window. Or if the large overhead door is open

Edited by Dakota Dave - 14 Aug 2021 at 12:26pm
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 8:39pm
I had a computer guy wire up some antennas that look like little satellite dishes that shoots the signal from the house up the hill to the barn and then another shoots it down the hill to one at the cinder block shop. That one connects with one on the inside of the shop to broadcast WiFi throughout the shop. Also have one shooting signal on front side of the house to my parents house across the driveway
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 9:02pm
I'm with dakdave, run a conduit from house to shop and pull CAT6 through it. It'll be a LOT faster and more secure. Actually pull 2 cables through and TV coax while you're at it...
just be sure to bury it below plow depth !!!

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Red Bank Red Bank wrote:

I had a computer guy wire up some antennas that look like little satellite dishes that shoots the signal from the house up the hill to the barn and then another shoots it down the hill to one at the cinder block shop. That one connects with one on the inside of the shop to broadcast WiFi throughout the shop. Also have one shooting signal on front side of the house to my parents house across the driveway

I am interested in doing something like this. My storage building is across the road, so burying a cable isn't an option. 
I had an IT guy tell me about a system similar to yours. He told me that a local school had a similar setup for WIFI at their bus garage and it worked pretty well. 
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 9:51pm
I figured it could be done I just had to find the right guy to do it. It took awhile to find the right guy but it worked out great. I tried to find some pictures of the antennas but I will try to take some tomorrow. I am running six different networks on it. Each network for each location. The shop is the furthest away but I swear the WiFi is faster in the shop than my house but my wife and daughter aren’t in the shop.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 6:59am
I have a Simplisafe security system at home. My main reason for wanting WIFI in the storage building is that I would like to have a system in the storage building.

The IT guy I talked to told me that I will need a clear line of sight between the transmitter and receiver , which isn't a problem. I also have electricity in the storage building (three phase actually). Do you know of any other requirements for the system?

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 9:00am
every security system needs to have a backup transmitter(nowadays a cell phone),should communicate 'I'm OK' every few minutes or so....(mine did that every 15 seconds..) and of course battery powered( should be good for 48hrs minimum).
ALL 'systems' need to have various passwords changed from the defaults, especially the 'backdoor' ones.....

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:38pm
3312B332-0B7E-4F01-BEA5-AF76E00E4C76.jpeg

C7ED946C-6D62-4D20-BCBD-4BF4DDA61CDA.jpeg

Trying to post pictures of my set up with pictures of the antennas and the control panel that helps run it
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:42pm
Wherever the signal terminates or passes through there is a control panel. The only exception is I have one antenna shooting the signal at my parents house and they don’t have an antenna to receive it so depending on distance you may not need the control panels. I have three networks in my house, my parents have their own network, there are two networks at the barn and two at the shop.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:47pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:47am
I’m trying to do the same thing. I’m 100 ft from shop. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 12:12pm
Red... why so many "networks".... seems like a repeater / antenna at the house would signal to the barn and parents house and have a receiver  (antenna) there ?  What did i miss ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 3:42pm
most 'boxes' are 1 to 4 'switches'.... allowing up to 4 computers/devices to be connected to 1 modem( internet access..)they make 8 and 16 device switches or muxes ( $$$$$ )

actually there's a zillion ways to interconnect but I can see
1 local network in the house(say 2 PCs ,printer,link to 2nd network), a second local network in the shop (say a PC, tablet , printer, link to 3rd network) and a 3rd local network ( the parents house... 2PC and a printer). The 'house' network is the one connected to the internet. This is for hardwaired devices... going wireless is another  'can of worms'..
what gets real complicated,real fast is being sure ONLY the proper devices have access to the others....

Greg_WJP_(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_WJP_(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 4:20pm
If crossing public roadways, directional burying cable gets expensive.  And unless you have connections you will most likely will have to use line-of-site devices.  If not going across a road, my opinion is that burying cable is the best option.  I would pull at least 2 cat 5e/6 cables (network and phone) and if wanting a coax line for TV.  But with all the streaming services available today, that may be unnecessary.  If it's a straight line PVC would be okay to use as a "tunnel" for the cable.  If there are a lot of turns, I would suggest using innerduct as it will curve and allow for cable(s) to be pulled through easier.  PVC gets difficult the more turns there are.  Also when you pull the cable, pull another line so that you have something to use if you need to pull additional cables later.
To get the original pull line through, one option would be to take a paper towel and tie a thin string to it.  Then, using a shop vac, suck it through.  Then pull a stronger line through using the thin string.
On a side note, I scored on a section of innerduct by going to my telco (which is also my internet provider) and getting a short section that they could no longer use.  Had to pay a little, but was still cheaper than PVC.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 5:50pm
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Red... why so many "networks".... seems like a repeater / antenna at the house would signal to the barn and parents house and have a receiver  (antenna) there ?  What did i miss ?
I think Jays explanation works, not sure why it was set up that way but everywhere we bounced the signal it would terminate there and get a couple of networks then bounce the signal down to the shop and terminate it there.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 5:40am
WIFI is wireless...so 'radio waves'... need direct line of sight  between antennas,even then little things like passing birds,branch full of leaves swaying in a breeze, will lower or kill the  communications. It also doesn't pass through steel (tin) walls or roofs. I have a high powered router( box) that connects my old shop next door but the CAT5 to my garage is faster and more secure. Every installation has it's challenges !

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 10:25pm
I have lots of experience in doing it several different ways.

I'd trench, conduit, and pull three runs of CAT6 in 1" PVC.

Cross the road-  Directional bore.  Expensive?  Perhaps.  If you're creative, you can do it yourself with a cordless drill and 3-4 pieces of 1" PVC, and a homemade boring bit at one end, and a simple adapter to cordless drill on the other.  Dig down below the bottom of the ditches, and stand in it.  UNLESS you're in bedrock, you'll be able to chew a little tunnel under by just walking a straight line forward... once you run out of length, disengage the drill and glue on another segment on.  As long as you feed straight, your bit will dig and pull the PVC through to the other side just fine.

RF is effective, You cannot beat the performance of a land-based connection.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic