This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quieter Muffler for D17 IV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 1:44pm
Maybe I missed something here, but does Agco still sell the one in the Agco Heritage parts book #79010612V, bottom of page 136?   Yes, no, or it is a dud (tinny sound) or too expensive? 
Sponsored Links

jlogli View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlogli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 1:49pm
$$$$$$
1945 WC on full steel, WD wide front, WD45 power steering, 1966 D-17IVfactory 3 point.1967 D-17IV SC. 1973 rotobaler white top. orange top roto, model 90 combine,82S, four bottom plow.302 baler.
PlayGun View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlayGun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 2:34pm
You could go with one of these, and it is pre painted black, and they are welded not crimped.

Hopefully Future AC Man! Ride With Jesus my friends!     Lonas
PlayGun View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlayGun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 2:36pm
You could also do this one, they are supposed to be very quite. Look through summitracing.com they have all the walker stuff and dynomax mufflers, plus all other performance brands.

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 6:18pm
I called AGCO, the #79010612v muffler is $75.71.
They estimate shipping just under $20 and is in stock
in Illinois warehouse. Tax and all $105?? Is that an outrage?

So, does this muffler (the official modern service part from
AGCO) have the right tone?  Has anyone purchased that muffler?

Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 6:45pm
My personal experience with the Agco mufflers are that I thought they sounded pretty good. To me 105.00 isn't that bad for an Agco brand muffler. You might get one cheaper,but then you get what you pay for sometimes...less money,but poor sound and shorter life. Been there,done that a few times! Just my own thoughts on the subject,nothing more.  Rick
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 7:35pm
The last D17 III muffler I bought directly from AGCO was a Stanley in an AGCO box.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Oldoug View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:48pm
The 79010612v muffler is gonna be a Stanley, if you want the Nelson one it is part number 70246129 and is just over $300.  The old A-C fast moving parts book makes note that the correct A-C muffler should always be used, if not poor engine performance and shortened valve life can be expected.  I know $300 is high for a muffler, but when the correct muffler is available I can't understand people buying like three different kinds of mufflers for $40-$60 just to experiment with them.  When you do that you have half the cost of the correct muffler stuck in a muffler doesn't look right, collects water, and has a screw plugging a drain hole?   I guess to me to spend that kinda money I would have to plan on keeping and using the tractor for a long time, if it was a tractor I was gonna fix up and sell I guess I would put the cheaper Stanley on.
Matt Folkers

FOLKERS RESTORATION

Restoring vintage things to last so the future can enjoy our past.
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 4:44am
Olddoug, Is that Agco # for oval or round? Thanks.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:48am
It has been a while since I bought an Agco muffler from a dealer,but the ones I had purchased were definitely Agco mufflers in the Agco box. However,not all items that come from Agco are made in the USA either any more. I notice that it doesn't show in the price of things though.  Rick
Oldoug View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 12:26pm
70246129 is the correct oval style Nelson muffler for the D17 gas.  We've sold one a year at our dealership since 2009 even though the muffler runs $300.
Matt Folkers

FOLKERS RESTORATION

Restoring vintage things to last so the future can enjoy our past.
PlayGun View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlayGun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Oldoug Oldoug wrote:

70246129 is the correct oval style Nelson muffler for the D17 gas.  We've sold one a year at our dealership since 2009 even though the muffler runs $300.

Well if a man was going to keep a tractor and he wanted to stay original that's the way to go. The Nelson is probably US made too, idk, but most are overseas tin cans.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 3:43pm
Seems like a lot of hassle to find the right muffler, then paying about $37 per pound
for a good one?

The new tractors come with the loud, tinny sound as standard equipment. Sad.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic