This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plowing thick sod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 6:36am
The ground is nearly flat and level.  The bottoms are scoured up nice I just plowed 5 acres of field and it worked great.  I can try moving the coulters I'm open to trying anything at this point.  Both lift links can be adjusted.
Sponsored Links

Teddy (punchie) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy (punchie) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:39am

If you make these changes mark where it was to start. These are somethings I would try.

Just recalling what remember reading and a few ideas I got from members here. SO here are a few ideas. Next question is how worn are your points on your shares.

Not sure but make sure not over beamed, turn the beam crank as to make it shorter needs a few turns to make one inch (four bottoms where about 5-7 turns to one inch).  This would bring the points down and the make the back of the moldboards higher, which should make it turn over at a higher angle. Plow will enter faster so watch the depth. Makes the plow nose in too hard if you go too much. Maybe 5 turns see if it helps.

Next I would Try Adjusting the Links. First check to that the L.H. link is at around 15 1/2 inch and the R.H. link about 14 inches (furrow side). Make these changes only about 5 total turns and try, so if you turn one side 3 and one side 2 try it, then make more changes. This will change the pitch of the plow your trying to pitch it to the right (furrow side)  just a little, that in turn should make it throw the furrow more.

If you make these changes mark where it was to start.

Now after a pass if it works try to reset the plows, now that you have a tire furrow.

I have ask allot of people over the years and they say AC plows are all good plows.
So I think you should be able to set them.

Last if still not plowing the shares need replace, or need 12" on 14" , or 14" on 16"

I only have manuals here for the 70 - 80 series plow, they were in the truck.  I'll try to look at the 50-60 series later today see if I can come up with anything else to try.

As they told me they can be set don't give up.

I ended up plowing with full duals on a d19 and doing a good job of it. Some of it was a hill of 20-25 % yes that is 25' of rise in 100' of travel on a rolling hill, yes throwing it up hill.

Be Safe !! 
Ac D-19, a Number of WD's, One WD45, Two 444 balers, Ac plows and etc.
MBWisc View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:49am
What do you plant to plant in the field once it is tiled? Plowing sod in the spring may not result in enough decay to allow good seed to soil contact. Also, plowing mature sod without burning, chopping or discing the trash makes the above situation and plowing job worse. 
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 8:13am
As I suspected your biggest problem is the rear land side. It takes a long land side to hold the rear of the plow from pushing away from the turning sod. When removing the third bottom from a three bottom plow it is very important that you switch the center bottom with the one you take off to keep the long land side and its hardware. Allis was not just trying to sell steel when they designed the plow with this very long land side.

ranger42 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 8:44am
I just got into about 4 acres of ground that had been pasture for at least 40 years....anyway got out the old Oliver 3-14's that hadn't been used in 10 years hooked it on the 170.  This plow is rusty and wore out!, but still managed to flip the sod without cover boards. As some have mentioned, the plow has to sit at least level when tractor is in furrow..I even turned down the right side arm down more than usual to get more throwing action. Hit it with a disk in the afternoon and looked great.   
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

As I suspected your biggest problem is the rear land side. It takes a long land side to hold the rear of the plow from pushing away from the turning sod. When removing the third bottom from a three bottom plow it is very important that you switch the center bottom with the one you take off to keep the long land side and its hardware. Allis was not just trying to sell steel when they designed the plow with this very long land side.

Thanks Dick, Thats what I was thinking too, I just didn't say it right.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 10:38am
I agree with the coulter adjustment. Looks like the coulter disks are worn a lot and that may make it hard to close the gap between the coulter and the plow shin. The coulter cut gives a better surface for the left side of the shin and most of the landside to push against and the snap coupler needs that landside function to plow straight.

As for plow shares, AC offered an assortment for every bottom including wide cut and narrow cut, plain point and deep suck point, and in chilled iron, or solid steel with a hardened surface, or plain steel which was better for rocky soil. A full cut would be a lot like a 16" share on a 14" bottom and a narrow cut would be trimmed even with the trailing edge of the moldboard. A deep suck point might be longer up front and for sure would be bent down. They offered these different shares and different bottoms for different soil conditions though I doubt any farmer changed from the first bottom they bought with the plow, it was possible and plow bottoms were sold separatedly from plows. The customer picked out a plow frame and then the bottoms, likely had to order and wait for them.

It would be interesting to see plow bottom sales brochures or catalog sheets with details on which bottoms and which shares were appropriate for soils in difference places and different types, e.g. prairie, or creek bottom, breaking sod (and there was a bottom for breaking prairie without a number), turning under lush corn stalks, and the like.

Gerald J.
dcso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 11:05am
weld or bolt some old leaf springs to the plow. same thing happend to me wth a vac case 2btm
ted
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 12:13pm
Curved leaf springs to extend the moldboard, straight leaf springs to extend the land side?

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy (punchie) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 2:57pm
MBWisc  I plant whatever.   You have to disk it and disk , did I say disk it.  Any way we plant right into the ground that way, have to feed it good, also doesn't hurt to lime. Plant right into a good seed bed. 

You are right in a way if you plow,  disk twice and plant your asking for trouble , have to work the ground to make a good seed bed.

Edited by Teddy (punchie) - 04 Jun 2011 at 2:58pm
Roddo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 3:30pm
Well it rained here this morning so I wont be able to try again until tomorrow.  I hope I  can make something happen.  I'd like to stick some corn in.  Finances and equipment wont let me plant beans this year....
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 3:54pm
Even John Deere knew that the rear most bottoms had to have a long land side to roll the furrow over. On this old plow the tail wheel also acts as an extention of the land side. It will be hard to plow corn stocks or bean stubbles without a long rear land side and do a good job of rolling the furrow over. The pressure of the dirt pushing on the mold board will push the back of the plow away from its job of turning dirt over.

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 4:13pm
A sturdy 3 point hitch puts much of the side thrust load on the hitch, but the snap hitch and the pin and clevis hitch of the pulled plow doesn't put that on the tractor, so needs that trailing wheel or a long landside.

Gerald J.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 5:26pm
One thing my Allis 2 bottom simply cannot do is turn corn stubble. It will plug in the first 20'. Just got the Oliver so haven't tried it there yet.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 6:27pm
Just wondering what brands of three point plows didn't have long land sides on the back bottom?

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by wkpoor wkpoor wrote:

One thing my Allis 2 bottom simply cannot do is turn corn stubble. It will plug in the first 20'. Just got the Oliver so haven't tried it there yet.
 I bet it would do fine if you had 45 bushel corn like there was when the plow was built. With todays 200 bu corn there is so much more fodder especially with the 9 and 10 foot tall kinds of corn around here. You almost have to bale some of it off to plow. 
 your plow would probably work better if you chopped the stalks and then disced them in the fall and wait till spring to plow them under.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:54pm
I can't remember which one, but one of my Allis plow manuals addressed not being to roll the furrow over when plowing alfalfa. The recommendation was to trim the rear of the share so that it didn't cut the full width of the plow bottom. The manual said that this would anchor the slice and help the plow bottom to roll it over. Seems like this might also apply to sod.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:57pm
I always run over the stocks with a disc set light or used a rotary cutter to shred them up.  Hard to plow heavy corn stocks down without plugging some if they are left as they were came thru the picker/sheller head. Disc to deep and the colters will push some of the corn stocks down in the loose dirt and still plug up.
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 8:51pm
Very interesting posts, Charlie and Dick !!!
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 9:25pm
Something that may help a little is to set the coulters about one half to three quarters of an inch to the left of the shin and where they can cut as deep as you can go without plugging them. This will help break the furrow slice loose a bit better and will maybe help it to start the roll better. Often times in old sod the best you can do is to stand the furrow slice on edge. By the time you get done you may not have much hair  or patience left, but will be able to say "I did it!" Next year it will plow much better!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 11:42pm
I have a Case (possibly) MTA three point 2x16 without a long landside. My AC 2000 monobeam plow 4x 18 doesn't have long landsides but it does have a trailing wheel in the furrow. It uses the lower arms of the CAT 2 hitch at the tractor end but has a pivot so the twist from the rear bottoms isn't resisted by the hitch.

In my experience, a three point fully mounted plow is worst about plugging because there isn't much space front to back between bottoms. The semi mounted plow like the AC monobeam with a cylinder lifting the rear of the plow frame on the furrow wheel can be longer and with much more room between gangs its a lot harder to plug, though I have, but far less often than I've plugged the 3 point Case 2 x 16 MTA. The best plows for corn stalks are the CIH 520 and 720 that have a large space between the bottoms and long shanks so the plow frame is high off the ground for even better corn stalk clearance.

Gerald J.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 11:42pm
Most plow books call for the coulter a half inch to the left of the shin.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy (punchie) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 6:15am
Not sure which radex we have (thinking 2 bottom, 516 roster lift) but they don't plow corn stalks very well. Better be cut down to a short size.  AC  80 series doesn't like blackberries. I'm going to try a wire or chain later this year, still have about 5-7 more acres to reclaim as I call it. I'll have to get some pics.  Hatchet is the best tool to use to get the berries and roots out. 
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 10:38am
We spent a bunch of time one day playing with coulter adjustments and every conceivable plow adjustment and then gave up on corn stalks. I should have tried discing them first. However the fodder was so thick I doubt it would have made a difference. Only guy who did any good was a Farmall Cub single bottom. Even the Allis B with one bottom was plugging.

Edited by wkpoor - 05 Jun 2011 at 10:40am
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 6:36pm
wkpoor, you should try a G. A few years I went to an antique tractor plow day, any make or model. I took my G. We were plowing corn stubble. Every one but me was plugging up. I did plug once when I tried to plow threw a pile of stalks that someone dumped out of a plugged mounted plow. I lifted my plow, drove forward a little ways backed up a little, kicked out a few remaining stalks, backed back to where I lifted out, dropped the plow, and and plowed right threw the pile I left. That was the only time I plugged up.

What a way to plow. the plow is right there at your feet, no turning around to watch the plow. The only problem is you are only turning 12" at a time.

Dusty 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
ky wonder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 8:58pm

modern corn is the reason for high clearance plows

i like old tractors of all colors
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by ky wonder ky wonder wrote:

That seems odd because modern farmers don't plow anymore so why would there be plows made to plow modern plants?
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 11:54pm
Actually in some areas farmers do plow to dry out swamps and warm up cold ground faster. There are new plows still being made. And even no tillers occasionally plow the edge of a field to kill off weeds and encroaching forest. Also quite likely standard prepartion for growing root crops like beets and potatoes, along with parsnips and turnips and truck garden crops rotating tomatoes with sweet corn.

Gerald J.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 5:39am
Originally posted by wkpoor wkpoor wrote:

Originally posted by ky wonder ky wonder wrote:

That seems odd because modern farmers don't plow anymore so why would there be plows made to plow modern plants?

"Modern" corn probably actually started back in the first part of the 20th century with hybrids. As yield increased so did the amount of stalk. Some plows were changed to accommodate the increase in fodder, some had extra clearance to begin with. The 50 series Allis plow doesn't handle stalks from 200 bu/acre corn well at all but that wasn't a problem in the 50's when they were made. Newer series seem to work somewhat better in heavier stalks but Allis hasn't updated a plow in the last 30 years.
 I also know farmers that moldboard plow to this day. A lot of "bottom ground" around here is plowed in the fall.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy (punchie) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 5:54am
Have you watch the price of plows. 8-10 years ago scrap price.  2-3 bottoms where worth
more then 4-5 6, etc bottoms.  I seen a number of 5 -6 bottoms that looked good go for scrap, or cut by people I known for scrap. This spring I seen a few 5-6 bottoms sell in good shape for in the  2000 - 4000 range.

I like turning the soil nothing better then plowing the right way and mixing up the soil if you do it right like a huge composting pile after awhile.  Not that every place should be plow and left open. One's using covering crops, plowing green crop, stovers (sp) are a couple of good reasons.  I seen a number of fields in my area that are no tilled and they are a mess do to wash.  I try to plow up hill and make like little dams to catch the run off, I have never had a field wash with a huge ditch do to normal run off.  In fact I check my fields for any wash I don't like to see it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic