This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off topic why don't farmers strike in 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

What if we all went out and mowed down the end rows of each farm? That would do a way with any hopes of a record crop.

"If we all" being the key phrase. Ain't gonna happen.
Sponsored Links

Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:09pm
Our crops in central Indiana look great but looks can be deceiving...lot of yield checks are showing that the heat we have had has indeed hurt more than we thought...everyone was talking 230 to 200 bu for corn....yield check are looking more like 190-170...still a very good crop but not the bumper everyone was hoping for...that being said these late season rains have assured of quite a few 65 bu beans and maybe some 70s on good ground
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:16pm
DougS LOL No one would step up and say I'll go first, that's for sure. 

I was cleaning out the sprayer yesterday which is pulled it with the 7045. Then I put it on the 15' mower, and cleaned up some ditches along the highway. I look at the other AC's and am glad we don't have new ones like some of the neighbors. They keep the cost of production down.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:18pm
Shameless will have to sneak out at night and mow his way across country taking out the end of the corn fields as he goes. Then all the farmers on route can file an insurance claim for the lost corn and everyone will win....
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Jwmac7060 Jwmac7060 wrote:

Our crops in central Indiana look great but looks can be deceiving...lot of yield checks are showing that the heat we have had has indeed hurt more than we thought...everyone was talking 230 to 200 bu for corn....yield check are looking more like 190-170...still a very good crop but not the bumper everyone was hoping for...that being said these late season rains have assured of quite a few 65 bu beans and maybe some 70s on good ground
Some years ago we had some late season rains and the ears were still pointing up. Rain stood in the shucks and it sprouted the kernels in the bottom spoilage and mold followed. 

Edited by Unit3 - 27 Aug 2016 at 5:23pm
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:23pm
Unit3 you are absolutely right...we are going to have alpha toxin,diplodia and all kinds of other good stuff in the corn because of these late rains..already seeing it in the corn...if the ground get too much more saturation it won take much of a wind to uproot and lay a bunch of it over as heavy eared as it is
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:40pm
So we strike, and raise less, the rest of the world continues to produce, and we lose market share, how does that help? Plus we had the opportunity to get $11.00 beans and $4.00 plus for corn for this crop and beyond. Lastly, want to get rid of low prices, create demand. For each 1% increase in ethanol demand, would reduce the carryover by 527,000,000 bushels. In other words, just a 2% increase in ethanol use, would get the carryover down to a more manageable level. But most farmers I know, barely use a 10% blend, much less a 30% blend. If we won't use our own product, or the tools that are available to us, then I think we get what we deserve. 
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 6:28pm
The problem with getting farmers to go on strike is the same as it is for any industry that is made up of a large unconsolidated group of businesses and people. You simply can not get everyone to play the same game at the same time or same reasons. 

Getting farmers to cooperate on a grand scale and strike is no different that the wants of people in the trucking industry wanting all the truckers in the US to go on strike until unrealistic emission compliance BS is repealed in their business like the railroads have been successfully doing for years.  

It just won't happen. There's too much independence in play to make it work. 

Although, farming just like trucking and railroad is a huge primary business in our country it's not like  the railroads who are governed by only a handful of entities who know that they have to occasionally come together and make a stand  as an all or nothing tactic to keep things stacked in their favour.
 Farming and Trucking simply don't have that large scale organization and  consolidation to pull of such actions. 

Edited by Tcmtech - 27 Aug 2016 at 6:31pm
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 6:35pm
Well give it another decade or two then there will only be a couple of Maga farm companies and you will have your one or two companies that can set the corn price in their fab.... lol
Kurt WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurt WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

After nearly 7 years of great profits and now you want to strike ??? really ???

Really??  7 years of GREAT PROFITS  ha   I see you must just fix tractors and dont farm!  As yeah the prices were high and so were the inputs!  And you wanna know what the last 7 years I either lost or broke even except 1 in 2012 when the guys in IL had a bad drought and the crop where great here! 
WD D17D 170 190xt 190xtIII 200 7020
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:09pm
Get into meat goats they're bringing record prices and sounds like we got lots of goat meat eaters headed our way. The old saying don't put all your eggs in one basket came directly from the farm too bad  many farmers aren't following that advice and they'll pay the price for it.Farming one crop is or one type of livestock is guaranteed to lead to financial  trouble sooner or later.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:12pm
Dude....if I gotta start fu#$%% with goats I'm done. I got dad to sell all the sheep 15 years ago...I'll have a sale and quit before I start dealing with goats
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Jwmac7060 Jwmac7060 wrote:

Dude....if I gotta start fu#$%% with goats I'm done. I got dad to sell all the sheep 15 years ago...I'll have a sale and quit before I start dealing with goats

Beats sitting around crying The Blues and going broke.Anyway are you from West Virginia since the first thing that came to your mind when goats were mention was F....ing(LOL)?
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:01pm
1000 bushels of corn would buy a new vehicle in the 70's. Prices were a little higher than now in 73 or 74.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:24pm
Parity was an NFO argument in 1960. It went nowhere.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:25pm
Never get everyone together. We are own worst enemy we will always produce till we flood the market just the nature of the beast.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by DON G DON G wrote:

1000 bushels of corn would buy a new vehicle in the 70's. Prices were a little higher than now in 73 or 74.

Prices were a little higher then but vehicles are much, much, much higher now.

1000 bushel of corn might buy an option package or two

JarrodACFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JarrodACFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:08pm
The real kicker is the input costs. Sure, money can be made with $3 corn, but not with the money that you have to put into it now. A few years ago, when corn prices were $6 or maybe better, input costs went through the roof as compared to the previous years. When the bottom fell out of grain prices, the inputs stayed the same, or maybe went down a percent or two. In my opinion, that is just as big of a problem as grain prices. Farmers cam make money with low input costs and low grain prices, high input costs and high grain prices, but not with high input costs and low grain prices. I am reminded of a quote by JFK, "The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, pays the freight both ways."
1956 WD45 Narrow Front Factory Power Steering, 1953 WD Wide Front
Allis Express in Muncie, IN
Jonny B 1938 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny B 1938 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 12:02am
Could do ethanol grass or hay, and say forget it. I see a lot of farmers doing winter wheat also, just to get a decent price for the crop many are doing different options. We do 50 acres soy and 50 corn, really with share cropping it would not be enough to live off of. Basically it covers taxes and make a little profit but another source of income is needed to survive.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 3:30am
couple years ago a big green farmer was farming a friends place that retired. they had bought a new combine with all the fancy extras and gave my friend a ride in it while harvesting his place. then it came time to sell and my friend didn't get a grain check. when he inquired about where his 1/2 was? the big farmer told him since he was getting SS, and that a big combine payment was due, my friend wasn't gonna get his share that year. but maybe next year! the friend had to sue him for his 1/2 of the crop off his farm. 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:42am
Originally posted by JarrodACFan JarrodACFan wrote:

The real kicker is the input costs. Sure, money can be made with $3 corn, but not with the money that you have to put into it now. A few years ago, when corn prices were $6 or maybe better, input costs went through the roof as compared to the previous years. When the bottom fell out of grain prices, the inputs stayed the same, or maybe went down a percent or two. In my opinion, that is just as big of a problem as grain prices. Farmers cam make money with low input costs and low grain prices, high input costs and high grain prices, but not with high input costs and low grain prices. I am reminded of a quote by JFK, "The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, pays the freight both ways."

...and why are input costs so high? Fertilizer costs skyrocketed several years ago, when petroleum prices were ridiculous. I know they have dropped some, but not nearly to what they were.

A friend of mine who is still farming tells me about $300/bag corn seed. I know I'm old, but I remember when the top varieties were $70/bag and the ones we usually planted were ~$35/bag. Corn seed is corn! Have you seen any of these seed companies lower their price drastically now that corn prices have dropped???

Most farmers won't strike because they can't. Most have debt and no income means you are bankrupt and out of business. I grew up on, and later operated a dairy farm. When you are producing a perishable commodity, it's impossible to store and sell later.

Farming has always ran in cycles. When prices are high, everyone tries to produce more to increase profits. Then they suffer when oversupply lowers prices.
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:31am
Was talking to a guy at Okawville last week still farming 500 acres with a 440 and 220 and a couple Case tractors. Said a guy in his area farming 5000 acres with all the latest green stuff had to ask the landowner of some of the ground he snatched up from others on a long term high rent deal had to ask for them to let his rent payment be delayed because he was still trying to get a loan to go through but was pretty sure he was going to get it but had to go to a big bank in Louisville to get a 3 million dollar loan to operate on for the year. This guy's opinion was if these prices continue it will take more big farmers out than it did in the 80s.
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:37am
We sell a little corn for Wyffels and got our price list a couple weeks ago for next year and yes seed prices have gone up a little again for next year but not by a whole lot. Worse part is Monsanto criticized them for not increasing prices more than they did.
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:37am
In most of Iowa winter wheat is not a viable option. There are no markets buying it. On Friday night's Market to Market the guest analyst suggested because the world wheat market is saturated that US farmers should not grow wheat at all. Before the 1890s wheat was a major crop in Iowa but not since then. My theory was that high humidity encouraged fungal growth in a period without fungicides. A short history of a NE Iowa flower mill I read a couple days ago said it went out of business in 1890 when an invasion of chinch bugs ruined the wheat crop. There weren't insecticides either.

High prices encourage high production so its been said "high prices cure high prices." And given enough time low prices tend to cure low prices by discouraging production. Seed costs are proportional to plant population, but crops are sometimes flexible so that cutting the population doesn't cut the production as much, but certainly cuts costs. Same thing can apply to fertilizer applications. There is some evidence that fertilizer applications tend to be greater than crop needs and removal. With a careful choice of corn variety, in 2007 I raised 173.2 bushel / acre corn with only 111 pounds of applied nitrogen after fair beans. I had MAP spread a few days before planting, I notilled the corn with the planter applying 60 pounds of N (32% liquid) 2-1/4" from the rows and I side dressed 40 pounds of N in 32% dribbling every other row when the corn was 4 feet tall. The organic matter was high so it supplied some nitrogen also. But I sure cut my fertilizer input costs, though the plant population was 34K on the high side as suggested by the seed DSM for my planned nutrition. I only tried that once.

Gerald J.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:45am
There's some guys that just file bankruptcy, put it in someone else's name and keep farming,,, live like millionaires always driving New stuff, no care in the world! But eventually it will catch them, I can kinda understand as I luv the farming life, but eventually you gotta say enough is enough!
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:58am
Right here by my house the smaller farmers have been paid oil & gas leases and they put in a couple wind farms. They went out and bought newer equipment, leased ground on the high side. Now what im hearing is with oil & gas and the grain prices down along with cattle is that there will be alot of ground up for grabs shortly.
One farmer is leasing everything that comes available. Another big farmer whos equipment i work on says that guy is pricing even him out! He farms 10,000 acres and lost 2,000 last year due to lease prices.

Edited by CALEBnOK - 28 Aug 2016 at 9:59am
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 10:54am
I always wondered how hard it would be to raise you own corn seed. Seems like you could just set aside a field and harvest the ears alert they had fully matured. We never did when we planted cattle corn but with rising corn seed prices and a field full of corn I wanted to harvest I always wondered.
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:20am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

There's some guys that just file bankruptcy, put it in someone else's name and keep farming,,, live like millionaires always driving New stuff, no care in the world! But eventually it will catch them, I can kinda understand as I luv the farming life, but eventually you gotta say enough is enough!

I think every small town in the midwest has one or two families that built themselves up that way. I know mine did. Thumbs Down

Somewhere itne 1950's - 60's grandpa buried himself in debt then bankrupted and passed the farm onto son 1 who did the same 10 or so years later then over to son 2  another 10 or so years again while somewhere along the line son or daughter  3 went to school to become a professional bankruptcy lawyer so they and  next generation had solid legal backup to do the process over en masse 3 - 4  more of them since the mid 90's? and the whole community kisses their butts because they are huge rich multigenerational farmers. Unhappy

That sound familiar to anyone else? 

Edited by Tcmtech - 28 Aug 2016 at 11:21am
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

I always wondered how hard it would be to raise you own corn seed. Seems like you could just set aside a field and harvest the ears alert they had fully matured. We never did when we planted cattle corn but with rising corn seed prices and a field full of corn I wanted to harvest I always wondered.

I don't know if hybrids used like that for seed would produce much or not. As I understand it, if it's GMO seed Monsanto would come after you. They own the patent on it and you can't use it for seed even if it's your own.
ranger42 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:45am
Originally posted by bigal121892 bigal121892 wrote:

So we strike, and raise less, the rest of the world continues to produce, and we lose market share, how does that help? Plus we had the opportunity to get $11.00 beans and $4.00 plus for corn for this crop and beyond. Lastly, want to get rid of low prices, create demand. For each 1% increase in ethanol demand, would reduce the carryover by 527,000,000 bushels. In other words, just a 2% increase in ethanol use, would get the carryover down to a more manageable level. But most farmers I know, barely use a 10% blend, much less a 30% blend. If we won't use our own product, or the tools that are available to us, then I think we get what we deserve. 

Agreed,  if people didn't hedge some of their crop this summer they have no one to blame but themselves.  Also, over the last 8-10 years with interest rates as they are and price opportunities there is absolutely no reason farmers shouldn't have made significant profits even with the input costs.  So in the end it all comes down to greed as JC was discussing.  When the prices were 7 and 15 guys were running over the backs of their neighbors to get more ground even they had a god's plenty already and couldn't properly take care of what they had.  Also nobody is really interested in diversification anymore  -too much like work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic