This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Notre Dame......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

there is already over 1 billion dollars in donations to help rebuild.
Right, beginning to wonder how much it will cost?  I mean, I know it's quite a church, but seems a billion would build a LOT.
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

in that case the local parish can rebuild for free, considering the money they've saved by NOT paying property taxes !
 At least up here churches do not pay property taxes on any 'church' land
What's your problem with that?

I don't own anything as fancy as Notre Dame, yet if I stopped paying my property taxes, I would NOT have enough money to rebuild my house and farm, not by a long shot.

Hard to save your way to prosperity.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:36pm
“Wahid Hadji
Oubbad Jsk
Yusuf Mohammedzai
Hessam Massa
Mohamed Hiadi
Mohamed Bensalem
Alaa Atfeh
Raidh Khaled
Ammar Sofiane
Abdelhakim Noui Oua
Mohamed Amin”

Please provide a link to any one of these people and their comments.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:14pm
Entire lattice roofing structure makes modern truss systems appear worthless. Was key in the design to place the weight out and down not side load to the buttresses. The amount of materials is daunting, the type of wood, the sizes of timber, what looked as match sticks was often 10" square to 18" square and upward of 40 feet full span one piece. Will take an army of Tradesmen in woodworking/master carpentry to rebuild that and years to do it proficiently where as noted the tough part will be securing the timbers. Will take wood carvers as long to duplicate the spire and ornamentation.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:12pm
I read today where the called they attic and spire and roof structure area "The Forest" because each structural member was from a single tree.  Amazing.

Just very curious what the price tag would actually be.  No matter how you slice it, a billion is a lot!Big smile

Edited by Tbone95 - 17 Apr 2019 at 2:12pm
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:37pm
catholic church spends all their money settling lawsuits nowadays. 
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:01pm
They claim that there is no trees in France big enough to replace the main timbers so it will have to be imported
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:33pm
catholic church spends all their money settling lawsuits nowadays.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:43pm
If I heard it right, the government of France actually owns the church.  Also heard that they need like 3,000 trees, to do the job, likely they will come from the baltic area of Europe.Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 6:25pm
Loyds of London says it will take over $6 BILLION to repair......... Some local "people" are estimating $2 BILLION............   Govt says it can be done in 5 years.... Contractors say probably double that EASY.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 6:46pm
church's here dont pay property taxes either, my point is, if the building is church owned, than it should not fall upon any taxpayers to fund the rebuilding. give as much as you want.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:47pm
I'm all for anyone donating but if the liberal SOB Trudeau decides to give MY tax money to the cause I'll be one really piZZED off person !! We've got Canadians dieing from bad water, I ain't got no doctor and have to pay to see.. I can't afford to have HIM give away any more of MY money....
Kinda hard to imagine 6 BILLION bucks for a 'roof' and pointy thing....then again repaired in 5 years ?? Heck it'll take that long to grease the palms of the 'achitects' to design something,let alone the bribes to city officials to look the other way.
Hmm.. wonder if the 'yellow jackets ' will be there this weekend ??
I suppose if they 'restore' then no sprinkler systems will be mandated ??

cynical Canuck Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:22pm
Roman Catholic Church claims 1.2 billion members, so I'm thinking ten bucks each, and there is plenty left over, also thinking if I was a member my ten bucks would be on it's way. But on the other hand, after significant experience collection taking in church, there are a lot of church members who don't even support their own local congregation.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:36am
Glad to see money rolling in for the project, rest assured they will usa all they get one way or another.
JBMiller, Was reading that the stone work might have to be taken down and put back up again because of heat and water saturation... 

mmm maybe before they start cutting the trees, they need to feed them fire retardant chemicals to get it in the wood.  Had a wood pile given me that a fire department and sprayed retardent on, it sat for a couple years and that wood almost refused to burn after all that time and had to have some good wood to get that wood started.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:58am
Fire Dept. spraying fire retardant on wood, isn't that anti job security? Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:27pm
The smoke damage and clean up alone, to the remaining structure, is going to be significant. That structure, and adjoining structures is huge. Hard to fathom without seeing it first hand.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:25pm
while they debate over the design( restore or NEW style spire) they better  get a huge friggin tarp over it before too long ! Twiddle your thumbs and WINTER will be there. If that happens, all could be lost.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:13pm
Don't we have a bunch of those Sequoias or Red Woods out there in California that we can donate? They should do the trick. 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

Don't we have a bunch of those Sequoias or Red Woods out there in California that we can donate? They should do the trick. 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

Well, France did give us the Statue of Liberty.......repay the favor?
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:40am
You'd have a bunch of tree huggers flipping out and probably threatening war if that were to happen. Wink
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:05pm
OK, no french fry jokes, that would be inconsiderate...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:10pm
curley or "straight" ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:02pm

I think they need to clear cut a bunch of them big redwood trees to make room for about 12 million new residents.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:20am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I think they need to clear cut a bunch of them big redwood trees to make room for about 12 million new residents.

They have plenty of masons and brick layers that could be sent also.....
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:56am

The only people that can afford Cry to move here are the ones that are looking for free stuff.  An they don't want out in the sticks.LOL

I am thinking I remember,Confused if right Confused Sequoias don't make good lumber. Very brittle ,Confused or something. But the Redwood's that some really good stuff, for somethings. It is not the strongest,Wink but termites didn't use to eat it. But some are worrying the termites Angry are changing an will eat on CryCryCry it today.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

The only people that can afford Cry to move here are the ones that are looking for free stuff.  An they don't want out in the sticks.LOL

I am thinking I remember,Confused if right Confused Sequoias don't make good lumber. Very brittle ,Confused or something. But the Redwood's that some really good stuff, for somethings. It is not the strongest,Wink but termites didn't use to eat it. But some are worrying the termites Angry are changing an will eat on CryCryCry it today.

Ray are you telling me they don’t have no redwoods in the sanctuary cities.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:49pm
WinkMostly the redwoods grow in the forest LOLLOL an just about all the sanctuary cities Wink are in the city.

An there have been some enterprising folks growing BIG BUCKS cash crop under the redwoods LOL . But Wink them folks was kinda clannish and did not want others Confused just wondering around in there forest ConfusedConfusedConfused.

But since the Wink rules are changing,probably just another over produced crop that ant worth growing soon.LOLLOLLOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 7:57am
Then they will no doubt subsidize them operations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic