This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norm [IND] your a real class act!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:18pm
I don't recall this being an auction. Everyone at an auction is trying to screw the seller. In the last three weeks, I have had 5 "no shows" first with the money gets it as far as I'm concerned. Why does anyone feel like they have a break coming?
Sponsored Links

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:30pm

When you do business on a public forum things like that could happen, sometimes you have to act fast although I know that is not always possible, and sometimes you need to keep those dealing on the down low.

GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:51pm
tyler,
I hope you ain't sore because I bought that field cultivator off Bill.
Glenn
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:55pm
Here is Smugglers original post advertising he had a few battery boxes for sale.

I felt the same as Jim D when I first read this post and seen Norm cut in on Smugglers post and  advertise battery boxes at a lower price, and then not answer Smuggler question about the gauge thickness of his boxes .

Pretty low in my opinion.

That's when I added  'Norms'  name to my  "do not do business with"  list.

Gary

Darrell Roberts View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:04pm
Todd,
    After reading your post and the original post again I have to say I feel that your comments about Norm are out of line. If anything your beef should be with the seller. Plus it appears you're looking for someone else, not yourself and wanted something as cheap as you could find. Several other folks posted with pictures, did you contact any of them? Seems like there was one or two good deals there to be had if you take the effort to follow up on them. I've had the oppritunity to do business with Norm on a couple occasions plus meet him in person at several shows and have always found him to be on the up and up. It seems like you are upset over something you posted in a public forum where anyone can see and respond to if if they choose. If Norm did buy the G then that's a business decission between himself and the seller. As has already been pointed out cash in hand speaks louder than someone just kicking tires. Your choice to post this public attack against Norm or anyone else here I consider to be in poor taste. If you have a beef with him or the seller then take it up with them personally. Norm posts on here with his phone number all the time, otherwise move on and get over it.
Mike NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:00pm
Hey guys, I apologize for all the ruccus I've caused over this tractor,but don't slam Norm because I could have said "wait" but, I had in the back of my mind Todd is in New York and Norm is about 30 miles from me so instead of thinking about it I said sold. So if anybody has a beef with anybody it should be with me not Norm. 
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:34pm
I don't know where these prim and proper rules about bidding at auction are coming from? I would have no qualms about bidding against someone I know. If we both wanted the same thing well so be it. I would bid up to MY limit and if I win, I win; if you intentionally drive up the bid on someone with no plans to buy THAT would be wrong. If the two people bidding are so sensitive that there's hard feelings between them when one wins out over the other well then they shouldn't go to auctions. Think of all these estate and farm auctions, it's usually a bunch of neighbors and friends there and everybody knows everybody. If people backed out of bidding against a friend it wouldn't be much of an auction. I don't know about anyone else but all the auctions I've been to it's every man for himself and people can deal with that. I do however disagree with someone exploiting a post someone else started, though I don't know anything about this particular situation and that may not apply here. Just my 2 cents

Edited by Bill_MN - 20 Feb 2010 at 8:40pm
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:10pm
Yeah I have bid against friends from time to time at auctions, and we usually smile at each other and see who wants the item more....that is what auctions are all about...but I have to say that Norm has a knack for getting his 800 number into a lot of people's posts and I have often thought "now that was kinda rude"....some people will chase the almighty buck to the ends of the earth LOL!

Edited by Eldon (WA) - 20 Feb 2010 at 9:12pm
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:41pm
Darrell If you look at the time of the postings of the other G's they all came in AFTER all this started! There was no others posted until then!! He had it bought and then they appeared! Funny thing is we have not heard from Norm. Anytime some one post for looking for parts he is right there and when people are selling. Where is he NOW!!!!!
WCTech View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:02pm
WOW! I am in the middle of reassembling the D-14 at Ted's and I figured i would hop on the allis page since i had my laptop here using his internet and drinking his beer LOL (thanks ted). I know i have met many people in this hobby, and many people i consider to be apart of what I would like to call the ACH Frat. I been through life with a handful of the people on this forum whom i have met at shows and also live locally and there are times when others may wrong us or "step on our toes" but what i am most thankful of is the fact that there is always a great level of understanding and forgiveness that is expressed. I had the pleasure to meet Norm Steinman when i was 15. He took me some getting used to due to the fact that he is soo straight forward. And what he may not take care, Barb (his better half) will. I have done business with him and although it has not been a lot i have grown fond of the scruffy ol goat! I am sorry Todd that you have the feelings that you do, but the way i look at it is i am only 27 and have been at this since i was 13. I have been blessed to meet some of the greatest people on earth because of this forum and even though i may have accidentally "screwed them" or "stepped on their toes" they have forgiven me. And in return i have learned that only in my 27 years on this big spinning globe that life is too short not to forgive and forget. I don't know how long you have been on this forum or how old you are. But what I have learned is to just "let go and let GOD" because as you have found you appear to be in the minority on this subject. I am not writing this to offend you or anyone else (and i am sure i did and someone will let me know) but when it all comes down to it. Even in the worst case we Allis men and women have a great bond and a very good thought pattern. If you want to find some crappy people go to any other brand and see how you get treated and make your judgement. Well time to get back to this D-14 and my now warm beer. LOL Have a great night guys.

Matt Pehl
Davis, IL

Edited by Moderator - 21 Feb 2010 at 2:15pm
jls View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:49pm
Dude-- I can tell you're peeved but I got to take exception to your auction rules about not bidding. Heck at any given auction I probably know by sight 1/4 of the people there. That could make for pretty poor sales. Since many auctions are for retirees (or widows)who are you screwing. Years ago I watched my Grandpa run up bids for a neighbors widow. He ended up with a box of junk and one of the family nearly had tears when they handed him the box and thanked him. Set your limit, bid your limit, Devil take the hindmost.
Steve-Ohio View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve-Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 11:07pm
I agree with Todd.  Todd was doing the search, it wasn't an advertisment by the seller, Norm undercut him and the seller didn't give Todd a choice.  If it wasn't for Todd, Norm would have never known about the tractor.  So yes, Norm screwed Todd.  There ain't no other way to spin it, Todd got screwed.  Todd, shold have gotten first choice.  I have been in a few similar instances, and it has pissed me off no end.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 7:40am
Mike, you and Norm cut this deal together.  The almight buck ruled the action.
AKA.ON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKA.ON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:19am
First of all if your at an auction sale and you make a back door deal it's collusion and it is not only illegal but is as greasy as anything Norm did to you so before you start slandering people on a public forum you should go look in a mirror. If I'm at an auction sale and there is something I want or I feel something is too reasonable I bid regardless of who's on so Todd I certainly hope I am never at an auction sale your at because I would hate if you decided to run to this page and slander me. It's real nice when a lifetime of equipment is being sold at an estate auction and a few scumbags decide to collude to screw the estate. Just about as classy as following the obituaries to find out who's passed away and what widows antiques will be coming available. Some people should think before they start typing.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 11:51am
Aside from the issue of Norm slickering Todd, the auction ethics part of your post is an interesting one. If you by coincidence show up at the same auction as your married son, and in conversation determine you're both interested in the same tractor, is it collusion for you to refrain from bidding against him? What about an Uncle? A Brother? Would this be considered screwing the estate?

And then there is the shyster auctioneers that have schills bid, or have phantom bids for the sole purpose of driving up the prices of the auction items. Is this justifiable practice because they are looking out for the benefit of the estate? Isn't this collusion against the buyers?

Auctions are have elements of larceny on both sides, and is a subject in itself, but if you're suggesting I'm screwing someone because I refrain from bidding on an item when I notice my next door neighbor bidding on the same item, that's not correct. I'm at the auction for two hours, and I'll live next to my neighbor forever. I'll err on the side of keeping harmony in the neighborhood every time.

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 1:26pm
I've met Norm and bought things from him and every deal has been on the up and up.
As a seller; The first person with the money gets the item. Too many no shows!!
Auctions are all fair game. I've bid against friends and neighbours. If we know we are interested in the same item, we may talk about it first and agree that who ever wins, there will be no ill feelings after. We all have different limits. I bid against someone on a Gleaner T and stopped when I reached my limit. Talked to the buyer after and laughed a little then loaded the combine onto my trailer and I hauled it home for him. Have a new friend now.
killer ac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer ac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 1:34pm
Where is Norm? Guess nobody is wanting to buy something....
dannbob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 9:51pm
A bunch of you guys need to leave Norm alone! No one screwed anybody! If Todd wanted the G, he should have bought it.  I just finished disassembling a bunch of parts from a CA for one of you guys on tjis forum and now can't get an email response. Nobody gets a break as far as I'm concerned. If Norm screwd some one, then I have been screwed at least a dozen time on this forum! Some of you don't do anything outside your circle. Dann
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:06pm
Todd, if the only contact you had was to send pictures and price, I wouldn't say you were first in line.  If I was selling I would have done the same thing.  Put yourself in the seller's shoes, you have a local person ready to buy and someone 3 states away who might be interested, are you going to turn down the cash for someone you may never hear from again?  I sure wouldn't.  Grown up, you should be mad at the seller if anyone.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:11pm

Dan if I had recieved the pics and a price I may have bought the G. Do you buy stuff without seeing it? Maybe you should buy parts from someone who supports the site and support those who support the site. Had alot of people say they have bought parts from him, some saying thousands of dollars worth. He has an 800 number that must mean he is making a living running a scrap yard. If this is true why doesn't he pay the $99 to help support the site????? I don't see many "circles" here, most try to help when they can where they can.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:13pm
Jordan yes I would have waited. I would have contacted the first person and told him the situation and said hey give me an idea when you will know so I know what to tell the other guy.
DouginIL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DouginIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:27am
Todd, I think this thread has been a good one. If nothing else, it gives some of the rest of us a good idea who we may want to buy from and who we may not.  The two principles are obviously people I wouldn't want to deal with. But some of the other responses have been eyeopeners too!
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:11am
Todd, In no way am I going to cast dispersions on you or Norm. There is, however, a saying that is quite popular in this area. "You snooze, you loose." I think that just about covers this situation.  
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:27am
Bob I would agree with you up to a point. I had requested pics and was waiting for them. How is that considered snoozing???
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:34am
The seller had an item for sale. We have no idea if he had an emergency,(needed to buy more orange) or not. A second buyer called or showed up with cash in hand. This was a positive sale for his item. He sold it.
In a similar situation, there was a D15 series 2 for sale here in Louisiana a month or so ago. I didn't check the site the day it came up for sale. Called the next morning and it was sold. You might say I was snoozing. I just figure that it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes, God does that for us.

Edited by Bob D. (La) - 22 Feb 2010 at 9:37am
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
BurtIA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurtIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 10:46am
Todd says "Dan if I had recieved the pics and a price I may have bought the G. Do you buy stuff without seeing it?"

I have bought stuff without seeing it and the reason I got it was other people were waiting for pictures and thought they also should be first in line. It comes down to Money talks, BS walks. We've been selling race parts off of Racingjunk.com. I would like to have a dollar for every guy that said "Yeah, I want it and I'll send the money" and then you never see anything from them. I call those people tire kickers. The first person with the money gets the goods. I would have done the same thing as the seller. A known sale 30 miles away or "I may have bought the G" from several states away. Also, lay off Norm, he did nothing wrong.

Don Buck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 12:29pm

I don't have any thing in this but over the past 10 years I have a good bit of dealings with Norm and he is an honest man class act he can be trusted. 

Todd you loose some you win some lesson learned but blasting someone on this site is not the way to handle a bitch session it's not professional it does say a lot about the person bitching.
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Mike NEIN Mike NEIN wrote:

Hey guys, I apologize for all the ruccus I've caused over this tractor,but don't slam Norm because I could have said "wait" but, I had in the back of my mind Todd is in New York and Norm is about 30 miles from me so instead of thinking about it I said sold. So if anybody has a beef with anybody it should be with me not Norm. 

Mike said it all. Norm was simply placing a backup offer and Mike accepted. I would have called the first caller and given him an IMMEDIATE first right of refusal, but in the end I'd likely sold it to the cash in hand buyer as well. I certainly wouldn't have been out taking pics and swapping spit over a couple bucks in the price. In this kind of business cash talks and BS walks. I've been in Mike's and Norm's position before. The real truth is- if you want it, go for it or take a chance on losing. Heck, I've made telephone purchases from folks right here on this forum and showed up the next evening cash in hand, as agreed, only to find the item left the yard an hour earlier. I didn't like it and didn't think I was treated particularly well, but I certainly didn't burn any bridges over it. 
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by DouginIL DouginIL wrote:

Todd, I think this thread has been a good one. If nothing else, it gives some of the rest of us a good idea who we may want to buy from and who we may not.  The two principles are obviously people I wouldn't want to deal with. But some of the other responses have been eyeopeners too!

Doug, your response absolutely nailed it. This thread should give a lot of readers pause for thought.
DouginIL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DouginIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm
Yet another eyeopener!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic