Norm [IND] your a real class act!

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8359
Printed Date: 29 Jun 2024 at 8:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Norm [IND] your a real class act!
Posted By: ToddSin NY
Subject: Norm [IND] your a real class act!
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 1:21am
Thanks for back dooring me on the G!!! That was a real scum bag move! 

I was taught there are some golden rules of doing business:

A) First come first served!
B) When at an auction and a friend or neighbor is bidding before you don't bid! There will be other equipment to bid on, but, good friends and good neighbors are hard to come by!
C) When 2 people are doing a business deal KEEP your nose out of it! If the first person and the seller don't come to an agreement then and only then do you step up and take your turn!!
D If you break rules A, B or C you cause hard feelings and make it rough on yourself to do business.

I was waiting for pictures and a price and you come in, step on my toes, and take over on my deal! I hope the next time you are lurking in the shadows you bring the grease gun, that way I won't feel so violated!

If anyone is wondering what I'm talking about search the post of : Looking for G.

Replies:
Posted By: Rfdeere
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:10am
  Ermm

-------------
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.rumelyallis.com

Posted By: Nathan (SD)
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:50am
 I read the G post. Your gripe is with the seller. Find another excuse to dislike Norm. Doing buisiness on a public forum has its disadvantages.

Posted By: TEDMI
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 4:00am
   I have to agree with todd on this one ,

TEDEMI

Posted By: powertech84
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:58am
Anyone who's ever sold something knows the first person with cash in hand gets the sale, esp with internet deals. Looking at the post, it seems like there are plenty of "G's" to go around. You might feel slighted now, but there's probly bigger things in the world to be worried about.

Posted By: GlenninPA
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:50am

Todd,

I think you might be taking this a little too personal. I have had dealings with Norm over the years and he is not the person you make him out to be.

I read the posts the other day, and did not come off with the same impression you did.

The seller had never posted that you were "first in line", and given your statement about buying "Well like most of us Mike little as possable! LOL! ", if certainly gives the impression that you may be a "tire-kicker". Not saying you were, it just comes off that way. You put the onus on the seller to provide you with pictures, "You can PM me with them if you like. ", thus giving him the option of NOT providing them.

When you are a serious buyer, you can not think a seller is going to wait around for you to decide to buy.  Serious buyers step up quick with the cash and seal the deals. I know that I have sold stuff in the past, and there are potential "buyers" out there that would have me hold the item for a long time, without so much as a deposit, because they felt they were "first in line". It may be that way in your neighborhood, but out in the rest of the big bad world, another dog will eat your food, if you dont.

I understand your disappointment, and I can see why you thought you should be upset, but I think you are taking an unfair swing at both Norm and the seller.

I hope you CALLED Richard and got his skeleton, it seems that would have met your needs.

Hope the rest of your weekend goes better for you.

Glenn

Posted By: GBACBFan
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:37am
From a previous parts encounter with the man, I can relate. There is no honor among thieves.

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:27am
I think some responsiblility lies with both Norm and the sellar.First if I was Norm I would have said "If Todd in NY doesnt want it I am interested." And the sellar should have told Norm " Todd is first in line so if he doesnt want it you can buy it."

I have been on both sides of this and I have told people they are second in line and I have told people well if John Do doesnt take it I am interestd. That stuff about who ever shows up with money first is a bunch of crap if you ask me.

There are things in this world more important like honor and intregrity. My mom taught me that my name is more important than any riches.

Todd we would probably get along pretty good, I operate by the same set of rules you do. There has been many times I have let friends buy somethig at an auction because I believe in treating people the way you want to get treated.

Alot of times we discuss before the sale what we each are interested in so there is no competition. Although I have bid on things before not knowing of friend was bidding on them and I stopped bidding immediately and after the sale apologized.

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:27am
and I cant believe a spelled seller, sellar...............sheesh sorry

Posted By: old man mi
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:55am
I have to agree with Todd. He started the post looking for a g and was waiting for info  Norm hijacked it  no question  my 2 cents  Steve

Posted By: BLee Mn
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:03am
Yeah , i know how todd is feelin, ive been backdoored on posts here too!  Some People have No Morals. BAD buisness on Both ends there!!!!  I always say,   WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND!!!!

-------------
Cowboy UP

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:27am
Todd, after looking a your post "Looking for a G" and the follow ups, I don't see your point in slinging mud on Norm. He did not send a private message trying to "back door" you as you say. He publicly posted his contact number asking for info just like you did. If you and the seller had some private arrangement outside your public post that he didn't honor, then your beef is with him. I think that ...#1 you are very disapointed, and #2 you are entirely out of line, and absolutley wrong in your attack on Norm! I do hope that you find a suitable G in your price range for this project. Kip

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Posted By: DouginIL
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:44am
Yeah, Todd, I'd say you took one. View it as a lesson learned, but keep a good memory.

Posted By: michaelwis
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 11:10am
 I Sure hope the farm machinery section doesnt get as rough for some as the political section

-------------
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:00pm
Wow from the many PM's I've recieved about this Norm he must be doing one heck of a businees! Why is it that he is more than willing to sell Parts on here but doesn't have an add in the Parts Store. Yea we all have sold parts on here and I myself have sold parts on 2 B'S, but, Norm advertises as having an 800 number and anytime someone is looking for parts he is right there responding! Why doesn't he spend the money to support the site? 
Also in the many PM's I have recieved NOT 1 has been good! I will not post the names or the content of the PM's but like my dad always said the more you screw people the farther you have to go to screw the next person. 
Keep up the good work Norm!!!

Posted By: michaelwis
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:11pm
Norm and Todd..  i do not know either one of you but let me say this i have no dog in this hunt .. but i can say from a lot of experience .treat people the way ..you want to be treated .. if a mistake was made .. try to get over it .. life is to darn short  not to .
I once applied for a job and was real excited about it.. thought i had it for sure .. went home  and that night  told a couple of (friends ) about it . The next week one of the guys told me    that he was hired ...for that job .. p##### me off .. He is still at that job .. and we are still friends .. go figure ?
just my opinion

-------------
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer

Posted By: split51
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:44pm
I have to agree with Todd. Todd is the one that put the post up looking for the G and Norm stepped on his toes by posting that on Todds post. Now if Norm had his own post looking for a G and the reply from the seller was on his post also, then its fair game but instead Norm hijacked Todds post.

Posted By: ChuckLuedtkeSEWI
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:45pm
I'm going to try and stay neutral on this one.  Sometimes people will honor things as to who is first in line.  Sometimes they don't.  I know you might be upset with Norm, but do you know for sure that Norm was the one who got the G?  Someone else may have saw the thread and called and got it and you don't even know.  For all I know, someone could be mad at me about the D17 I just bought.  It was on craigslist and I called a couple days after it was posted at the price was right.  I was third in line, and the seller said to be fair, that he would let people look at it in order to be fair.  The first guy didn't want it after talking about it on the phone.  The second guy got busy and had to cancel his appointment to look at it.  I was third, went to look at it, committed to buy it and gave the seller some money down until I picked it up two weeks later.  Now the second guy might be miffed at me as I jumped him in line, but I look at it as the seller contacted me to come look at it and also I'm a firm believer that if it was meant to be, I would get it and I did.  I can understand your anger, but I don't know if taking things out in the open on a public forum is the right way to go about it. 

Posted By: smuggler
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:48pm
Well if you look way back in a post I had advertising battery boxs MR.NORM also had to cut rite in and under cut me. So todd I hear ya on this 1. And I will say not to toot my own horn but the battery boxs norm is selling are not in the same category as the boxs im building. Kinda like a kia to a caddy lol. 

Posted By: Ron(WA)
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 1:23pm
Whoa! Hold on a second! You mean to say if something is being sold by a seller, whether at auction or whatever, if a "friend" is also bidding or interested, you back away and let the the "friend" get it for his price??? How about the seller?? Aren't you screwing him with your non-compete monopolistic attitude??? And who are your friends, those who you are afraid of and don't want to cross, or just people you think you know versus those you don't think you know or maybe want to get even with??? Your ideas do not speak to the free market system we so cherish in this US. Also from the sounds of your post, Todd, you and Norm (Ind) are NOT "friends", so what is your gripe? Is all this over a G or did you just want to spew some venom, and Norm happened to be a convienent target? If I were to sell something, I would sell to the highest honest bidder, unless I had made an agreement to sell for a lower price to the first buyer, then I would hold my agreement to that first buyer, based on all agreed terms and conditions. That is a matter of principle, not competition. Todd, just make sure this is really worth your ire and reputation.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 1:28pm
I always thought "first in line" dealt with a seller who advertised something for sale.

From the post, Mike NEIN never said it was for sale. He said he had one, and he asked what it was worth. He never said he was selling it. I wouldn't have said you were "first in line".

Now Richard and Dale both offered theirs for sale. Are you angry because smuggler asked Richard his price? It does not appear so. What is up with that?

If someone said they were looking for an IB pintle hook, and I said I had one, would that prevent me from selling it until they decided if they wanted it? Again, I think not.

I feel bad for you, and I know you are unhappy, but step back and look at the situation objectively. I just don't think it is the morality issue you are making it to be.

The only other thing I can say is be glad this isn't a Green site, as they would flatten your tires so they could get there first! LOL

Posted By: Glockhead SWMI
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 1:29pm
Money talks. The seller sold it to someone else before you had your chance. End of story. You win some and you lose some. Lots of G's left. Move on to the next one.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:13pm
Chuck Norm did buy the tractor.

Ron(WA) Yes that is correct. I have done this on more than one occasion. When you have friends at an auction don't you talk about what you are interested in with them? I'd feel pretty upset, if, when I started the bid and the friend I'd been talking to jumped in and started to bid against me. When you are at an auction how do you know there aren't people with interest of the seeler not already bidding? If the friend of mine is the first bidding I get next to him and if he stops bidding I'll ask him are you done? If he is and I'm willing to spend more THEN and only then will I start to bid. If he wins GOOD for him!
As to people I'm afraid of? I haven't found one of those yet. I guess I'm too stubborn or to old to run. I also don't try to get even with people. I confront them on the spot, air it out and then I'm done with it.
I have never meet Norm (or care to). I'm trying to figure where I'd get venom towards him?
As the matter of principle your right it IS the principle! I'm not in any kind of compition with Norm, at all! I posted I'm looking for a G and he walked right in and bought it out from under me. If he had said hey if Todd doesn't want it please call me, That'd be a whole different story!

Glen If it wasn't forsale why was there a post answwering I have one and why was it sold to Norm?????????

Let me try to put it this way: You are at a mans place looking at a tractor and I pull in the driveway. As I'm getting out of the pickup YOU ask the seller of the price. When I here the price I run and holler I'll TAKE IT!! and through the money on the ground run over jump on it and pull out the driveway. Wouldn't you be upset? I would be! What is the difference here?

Glockhead: I had the money and would have talked but was shut up by Norm and not given the chance.

If any of you understand this isn't about the tractor as many of you have said theres more. You are right the point of this post was the dirty scumbag move put on me by Norm. If this is they way he does business. I was trying to warn others! Again from the amont  of PMs that have been sent to me about Norm he must really have to stretch out to find new people to do businees with! 

Posted By: Denis in MI
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:22pm

I have learned their are no friends at an auction, I bought a WD at a local farm sale and a guy told me he was going to bid on it until he saw me bidding, and then a week later I was at another sale and was looking at a case 830 diesel that ran good with good tires and he said he was going to buy it so when it sold for $800 I poor word choiceumed he bought it and went to congradulate him and he said he didn't even bid. From that point on if I want some thing I bid, it makes no difference if your bidding against a friend, if you both want it the one that is willing to pay the most will get it anyway.

-------------
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:31pm
It's a dog eat dog world out there folks.CASH TALKS BS walks.It is just a tractor and the last I checked there are plenty of them still out there.I dont have a pony in this race, but this is what happens in the big world.I have drove hundreds of miles looking for a deal,usually to be disappointed.Drove 80 miles to Danville to buy a tractor,the guy had an emergency at work and could not meet me.Told me to come back next saturday.I called next sat. morn,. and he sold it the night before.He said sorry the guy had cash and I did not know if you would come back.Yes I was mad ,but I got over it,these things happen.

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Posted By: morton(pa)
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:42pm
I think this should have been handeld differently on BOTH the buyer AND the seller. Buyer should have said "If Todd doesn't buy it, I am interested" and the seller should have said "Todd asked first, so he has first right of refusal". I think it's extremely low though that a buyer would come in and hi-jack someone else's wanted add.  This goes for any buy/sell situation. I have some more opinions on the matter but for the sake of feelings and business I'll keep them to my self. For now.

Posted By: Lance/SC
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 3:01pm

I have bought from Norm several times and his items have always been as they were represented to be.

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 3:49pm
I can see at least 3 sides to this....none are squeaky clean or right from where i sit.
That being said, I've listed tractors on the local Kijiji site,someone says 'can u hld it til satrday'. Well, I'm old school(56+ andsay sure....they don't show up or email...so I let the first cash person take it away. As other's have said, cash in the hand !
As a side note,I think I read the G was for a 3rd party,so getting approval might have been tough? Also, the cost to electrify a G is NOT worth it,unless you've got a free motor, power convertor and 4 big batteries.G's sip gas ,don't guzzle it !

Posted By: Gary IN
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 4:01pm
Lessons aren't free and you just bought one. Have a good memory. As someone said what goes around comes around. He got me once, so your not alone. Good friends are hard to come by norm must not need any. Don't need friends just want to sell parts must be his moto. Gary IN

Posted By: Leon B MO
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 4:20pm
It seems like I'm always a day late and a dollar short, just missed a real good deal or something like that. But I would not try to take something out from under someone else, knowing the deal is being worked out. But let's not get all the dirty laundry out. The point had been made and if Norm or the seller wants to respond they can. I do have a mental list of members that have had problems and I just steer away from them. It's not hard to tell the difference between the guys who do this for fun and a hobby and the guys that are trying to make a buck.
Leon B MO

-------------
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".

Posted By: dannbob
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:18pm
I don't recall this being an auction. Everyone at an auction is trying to screw the seller. In the last three weeks, I have had 5 "no shows" first with the money gets it as far as I'm concerned. Why does anyone feel like they have a break coming?

Posted By: DanWi
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:30pm

When you do business on a public forum things like that could happen, sometimes you have to act fast although I know that is not always possible, and sometimes you need to keep those dealing on the down low.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:51pm
tyler,
I hope you ain't sore because I bought that field cultivator off Bill.
Glenn

Posted By: Gary
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:55pm
Here is Smugglers original post advertising he had a few battery boxes for sale.

http://www.allischalmers.com/new/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5578&KW=battery+box&PID=41693&title=wd-and-wd45-battery-boxs#41693 - http://www.allischalmers.com/new/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5578&KW=battery+box&PID=41693&title=wd-and-wd45-battery-boxs#41693

I felt the same as Jim D when I first read this post and seen Norm cut in on Smugglers post and  advertise battery boxes at a lower price, and then not answer Smuggler question about the gauge thickness of his boxes .

Pretty low in my opinion.

That's when I added  'Norms'  name to my  "do not do business with"  list.

Gary

Posted By: Darrell Roberts
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:04pm
Todd,
    After reading your post and the original post again I have to say I feel that your comments about Norm are out of line. If anything your beef should be with the seller. Plus it appears you're looking for someone else, not yourself and wanted something as cheap as you could find. Several other folks posted with pictures, did you contact any of them? Seems like there was one or two good deals there to be had if you take the effort to follow up on them. I've had the oppritunity to do business with Norm on a couple occasions plus meet him in person at several shows and have always found him to be on the up and up. It seems like you are upset over something you posted in a public forum where anyone can see and respond to if if they choose. If Norm did buy the G then that's a business decission between himself and the seller. As has already been pointed out cash in hand speaks louder than someone just kicking tires. Your choice to post this public attack against Norm or anyone else here I consider to be in poor taste. If you have a beef with him or the seller then take it up with them personally. Norm posts on here with his phone number all the time, otherwise move on and get over it.

Posted By: Mike NEIN
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:00pm
Hey guys, I apologize for all the ruccus I've caused over this tractor,but don't slam Norm because I could have said "wait" but, I had in the back of my mind Todd is in New York and Norm is about 30 miles from me so instead of thinking about it I said sold. So if anybody has a beef with anybody it should be with me not Norm. 

Posted By: Bill_MN
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:34pm
I don't know where these prim and proper rules about bidding at auction are coming from? I would have no qualms about bidding against someone I know. If we both wanted the same thing well so be it. I would bid up to MY limit and if I win, I win; if you intentionally drive up the bid on someone with no plans to buy THAT would be wrong. If the two people bidding are so sensitive that there's hard feelings between them when one wins out over the other well then they shouldn't go to auctions. Think of all these estate and farm auctions, it's usually a bunch of neighbors and friends there and everybody knows everybody. If people backed out of bidding against a friend it wouldn't be much of an auction. I don't know about anyone else but all the auctions I've been to it's every man for himself and people can deal with that. I do however disagree with someone exploiting a post someone else started, though I don't know anything about this particular situation and that may not apply here. Just my 2 cents

-------------
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow

Posted By: Eldon (WA)
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:10pm
Yeah I have bid against friends from time to time at auctions, and we usually smile at each other and see who wants the item more....that is what auctions are all about...but I have to say that Norm has a knack for getting his 800 number into a lot of people's posts and I have often thought "now that was kinda rude"....some people will chase the almighty buck to the ends of the earth LOL!

-------------
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:41pm
Darrell If you look at the time of the postings of the other G's they all came in AFTER all this started! There was no others posted until then!! He had it bought and then they appeared! Funny thing is we have not heard from Norm. Anytime some one post for looking for parts he is right there and when people are selling. Where is he NOW!!!!!

Posted By: WCTech
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:02pm
WOW! I am in the middle of reassembling the D-14 at Ted's and I figured i would hop on the allis page since i had my laptop here using his internet and drinking his beer LOL (thanks ted). I know i have met many people in this hobby, and many people i consider to be apart of what I would like to call the ACH Frat. I been through life with a handful of the people on this forum whom i have met at shows and also live locally and there are times when others may wrong us or "step on our toes" but what i am most thankful of is the fact that there is always a great level of understanding and forgiveness that is expressed. I had the pleasure to meet Norm Steinman when i was 15. He took me some getting used to due to the fact that he is soo straight forward. And what he may not take care, Barb (his better half) will. I have done business with him and although it has not been a lot i have grown fond of the scruffy ol goat! I am sorry Todd that you have the feelings that you do, but the way i look at it is i am only 27 and have been at this since i was 13. I have been blessed to meet some of the greatest people on earth because of this forum and even though i may have accidentally "screwed them" or "stepped on their toes" they have forgiven me. And in return i have learned that only in my 27 years on this big spinning globe that life is too short not to forgive and forget. I don't know how long you have been on this forum or how old you are. But what I have learned is to just "let go and let GOD" because as you have found you appear to be in the minority on this subject. I am not writing this to offend you or anyone else (and i am sure i did and someone will let me know) but when it all comes down to it. Even in the worst case we Allis men and women have a great bond and a very good thought pattern. If you want to find some crappy people go to any other brand and see how you get treated and make your judgement. Well time to get back to this D-14 and my now warm beer. LOL Have a great night guys.

Matt Pehl
Davis, IL

Posted By: jls
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:49pm
Dude-- I can tell you're peeved but I got to take exception to your auction rules about not bidding. Heck at any given auction I probably know by sight 1/4 of the people there. That could make for pretty poor sales. Since many auctions are for retirees (or widows)who are you screwing. Years ago I watched my Grandpa run up bids for a neighbors widow. He ended up with a box of junk and one of the family nearly had tears when they handed him the box and thanked him. Set your limit, bid your limit, Devil take the hindmost.

Posted By: Steve-Ohio
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 11:07pm
I agree with Todd.  Todd was doing the search, it wasn't an advertisment by the seller, Norm undercut him and the seller didn't give Todd a choice.  If it wasn't for Todd, Norm would have never known about the tractor.  So yes, Norm screwed Todd.  There ain't no other way to spin it, Todd got screwed.  Todd, shold have gotten first choice.  I have been in a few similar instances, and it has pissed me off no end.

Posted By: Dave H
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 7:40am
Mike, you and Norm cut this deal together.  The almight buck ruled the action.

Posted By: AKA.ON
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:19am
First of all if your at an auction sale and you make a back door deal it's collusion and it is not only illegal but is as greasy as anything Norm did to you so before you start slandering people on a public forum you should go look in a mirror. If I'm at an auction sale and there is something I want or I feel something is too reasonable I bid regardless of who's on so Todd I certainly hope I am never at an auction sale your at because I would hate if you decided to run to this page and slander me. It's real nice when a lifetime of equipment is being sold at an estate auction and a few scumbags decide to collude to screw the estate. Just about as classy as following the obituaries to find out who's passed away and what widows antiques will be coming available. Some people should think before they start typing.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 11:51am
Aside from the issue of Norm slickering Todd, the auction ethics part of your post is an interesting one. If you by coincidence show up at the same auction as your married son, and in conversation determine you're both interested in the same tractor, is it collusion for you to refrain from bidding against him? What about an Uncle? A Brother? Would this be considered screwing the estate?

And then there is the shyster auctioneers that have schills bid, or have phantom bids for the sole purpose of driving up the prices of the auction items. Is this justifiable practice because they are looking out for the benefit of the estate? Isn't this collusion against the buyers?

Auctions are have elements of larceny on both sides, and is a subject in itself, but if you're suggesting I'm screwing someone because I refrain from bidding on an item when I notice my next door neighbor bidding on the same item, that's not correct. I'm at the auction for two hours, and I'll live next to my neighbor forever. I'll err on the side of keeping harmony in the neighborhood every time.

Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 1:26pm
I've met Norm and bought things from him and every deal has been on the up and up.
As a seller; The first person with the money gets the item. Too many no shows!!
Auctions are all fair game. I've bid against friends and neighbours. If we know we are interested in the same item, we may talk about it first and agree that who ever wins, there will be no ill feelings after. We all have different limits. I bid against someone on a Gleaner T and stopped when I reached my limit. Talked to the buyer after and laughed a little then loaded the combine onto my trailer and I hauled it home for him. Have a new friend now.

Posted By: killer ac
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 1:34pm
Where is Norm? Guess nobody is wanting to buy something....

Posted By: dannbob
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 9:51pm
A bunch of you guys need to leave Norm alone! No one screwed anybody! If Todd wanted the G, he should have bought it.  I just finished disassembling a bunch of parts from a CA for one of you guys on tjis forum and now can't get an email response. Nobody gets a break as far as I'm concerned. If Norm screwd some one, then I have been screwed at least a dozen time on this forum! Some of you don't do anything outside your circle. Dann

Posted By: Jordan(OH)
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:06pm
Todd, if the only contact you had was to send pictures and price, I wouldn't say you were first in line.  If I was selling I would have done the same thing.  Put yourself in the seller's shoes, you have a local person ready to buy and someone 3 states away who might be interested, are you going to turn down the cash for someone you may never hear from again?  I sure wouldn't.  Grown up, you should be mad at the seller if anyone.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:11pm

Dan if I had recieved the pics and a price I may have bought the G. Do you buy stuff without seeing it? Maybe you should buy parts from someone who supports the site and support those who support the site. Had alot of people say they have bought parts from him, some saying thousands of dollars worth. He has an 800 number that must mean he is making a living running a scrap yard. If this is true why doesn't he pay the $99 to help support the site????? I don't see many "circles" here, most try to help when they can where they can.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:13pm
Jordan yes I would have waited. I would have contacted the first person and told him the situation and said hey give me an idea when you will know so I know what to tell the other guy.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:27am
Todd, I think this thread has been a good one. If nothing else, it gives some of the rest of us a good idea who we may want to buy from and who we may not.  The two principles are obviously people I wouldn't want to deal with. But some of the other responses have been eyeopeners too!

Posted By: Bob D. (La)
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:11am
Todd, In no way am I going to cast dispersions on you or Norm. There is, however, a saying that is quite popular in this area. "You snooze, you loose." I think that just about covers this situation.  

-------------
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:27am
Bob I would agree with you up to a point. I had requested pics and was waiting for them. How is that considered snoozing???

Posted By: Bob D. (La)
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:34am
The seller had an item for sale. We have no idea if he had an emergency,(needed to buy more orange) or not. A second buyer called or showed up with cash in hand. This was a positive sale for his item. He sold it.
In a similar situation, there was a D15 series 2 for sale here in Louisiana a month or so ago. I didn't check the site the day it came up for sale. Called the next morning and it was sold. You might say I was snoozing. I just figure that it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes, God does that for us.

-------------
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!

Posted By: BurtIA
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 10:46am
Todd says "Dan if I had recieved the pics and a price I may have bought the G. Do you buy stuff without seeing it?"

I have bought stuff without seeing it and the reason I got it was other people were waiting for pictures and thought they also should be first in line. It comes down to Money talks, BS walks. We've been selling race parts off of Racingjunk.com. I would like to have a dollar for every guy that said "Yeah, I want it and I'll send the money" and then you never see anything from them. I call those people tire kickers. The first person with the money gets the goods. I would have done the same thing as the seller. A known sale 30 miles away or "I may have bought the G" from several states away. Also, lay off Norm, he did nothing wrong.

Posted By: Don Buck
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 12:29pm

I don't have any thing in this but over the past 10 years I have a good bit of dealings with Norm and he is an honest man class act he can be trusted. 

Todd you loose some you win some lesson learned but blasting someone on this site is not the way to handle a bitch session it's not professional it does say a lot about the person bitching.

Posted By: Brad MI
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Mike NEIN Mike NEIN wrote:

Hey guys, I apologize for all the ruccus I've caused over this tractor,but don't slam Norm because I could have said "wait" but, I had in the back of my mind Todd is in New York and Norm is about 30 miles from me so instead of thinking about it I said sold. So if anybody has a beef with anybody it should be with me not Norm. 

Mike said it all. Norm was simply placing a backup offer and Mike accepted. I would have called the first caller and given him an IMMEDIATE first right of refusal, but in the end I'd likely sold it to the cash in hand buyer as well. I certainly wouldn't have been out taking pics and swapping spit over a couple bucks in the price. In this kind of business cash talks and BS walks. I've been in Mike's and Norm's position before. The real truth is- if you want it, go for it or take a chance on losing. Heck, I've made telephone purchases from folks right here on this forum and showed up the next evening cash in hand, as agreed, only to find the item left the yard an hour earlier. I didn't like it and didn't think I was treated particularly well, but I certainly didn't burn any bridges over it. 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by DouginIL DouginIL wrote:

Todd, I think this thread has been a good one. If nothing else, it gives some of the rest of us a good idea who we may want to buy from and who we may not.  The two principles are obviously people I wouldn't want to deal with. But some of the other responses have been eyeopeners too!

Doug, your response absolutely nailed it. This thread should give a lot of readers pause for thought.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm
Yet another eyeopener!

Posted By: archangel_cpj
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:20pm
I would not recommend doing business on a forum its kinda like internet dating who knows what you are getting and who you can trust everyone is nice and the pics look good on line and then you meet the girl or seller and holy crap that aint what i bought.  I always said do business on a local basis as there is someone to go back on and unfortunately you are much better at this day and age of assuming you are going to get screwed and try to anticipate it...  The ones that burn you are the ones you least expect.  I bought a large AC tractor from a forum member supposed to be totally redone from front to back with a rebuild motor and everything gone through.  I had it here 3 months used it the 1st time to pull a plow that was two bottums under what it could pull and dumped the tranny called up and Im told send it back to me well that was 4 states away and 1000 to have it trucked round trip.  Sent it to AGCO dealer and the tranny had to be rebuilt was a known problem that everyone who ever worked on ACs  knew a new bolt kit was available...  I brought this to the sellers attention and get well Ill pay for half the other half is your problem...  While the AGCO folks are there they look through it and  the air filter in the cab was caked in dirt!!!!! and cob webs I used this less that 12 hours in a wetter dust free field!!!!!!  Mechanics like the filter still says AC on it and it was probably 15 years old!!!!!!  I changed the fuel filter and behind the filter is the caked dirt and other gunk years of use get some total rebuild...  but my fault was doing a hand shake deal and not being close enough to supervise...  Lesson learned and only cost me 11 K for the tractor and to date 5K more for all the repairs of the supposedly rebuilt parts!!!!!!!  YOU DO BUSINESS FROM A DISTANCE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!  IT IS NOT RIGHT BUT A FACT!!!!!!!

Posted By: archangel_cpj
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:22pm
Also I agree the whole thread is a real I opener!!!!!!!  TODD in NY HOW DARE YOU EXPECT FAIRNESS IN A DEAL!!!!!!!!  This aint the 50s right  LOL!!!!!!!!

Posted By: norm [ind]
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:34pm
  I POOSTED AN 800 PHONE#  MY PHONE RANG AN I ANSWERED IT  DID NOT ASKED WHO IT WAS  HE TOLD  ME HAD A G  DID NOT ASK NAME  ASKED HOW IT WAS EQUIPPED  HE WANTED TO KNOW WHAT IT WAS WORTH  TOLD HIM I DO NOT PRICE OTHER PEOPLES EQUIPMENT  YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT IWIL TELL YOU YES OR NO  THAT WAS THE CONVERSATION  NOW BAC K TO ME I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS GOING ON 43 YRS.  YOU HAVE MY  800 PHONE #  YOU CALL ME THEN WE CAN TALK  ON MY NICKLE  WILL BE WAITING ON ANY CALLS BUT MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN  WE HAVE BEEN DOING VENDOR BUSINESS SINCE BEFORE THE FORUM WAS STARTED
  HAVE ALSO E-MAILED DARRIN FOR ADVERTISING AN DID  NOT GET ANY RETURNS
  IF HE WANTS MY ADVERTISING  I GUESS HE CAN CALL ME ALSO  WILL GADLY TALK TO HIM    AS FOR THE BATTERY BOXES  HAD A FELLA ONE TIME TRY TO BUY ONE FOR $50.00   WHILE HE WAS ARGUING ANOTHER FELLA WALKED UP  SAID HE WANTED ONE  SO I GAVE IT TO HIM FOR $55.00 HICH WAS THE PRICE THEN IN THE 90'S  THE FELLA GOT MAD BECAUSE I SOLD IT HIM  THEN HE WANTED TO GIVE THE $55.00
  SO I ILL BE WAITING FOR A CALL  WE WAS SELLING BEFORE THE COMPUTER
   ALSO DO NOT HAVE PUTER AT SHOP EITHER   WAITING

Posted By: Rick of HopeIN
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:45pm
Norm's been good to me.  One call and my parts arrive in a day or two. 
That's all I got.   

Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 1:33pm
I think its time to put this one to sleep. Mike the seller and Norm have spoken.
I would say that Todd's gripe should be with Mike the seller. Mike called Norm offered the G for sale and put a price on it. Norm accepted the price and a deal was made. Like the saying goes "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" Lessons learned and time to move on.

Posted By: NickT(Ky)
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 3:42pm
Right on Calvin. I too have dealt with Norm on several occasions and my parts new and used were exactly as desribed and will buy from him again.

Posted By: AllisFreak MN
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 5:10pm
I think the whole thing would be easier to stomach if it wasn't for the fact that it was Todd's post to begin with, he was the one that posted that he was looking for a G. Maybe Norm should have started his own post if he was looking for one?? Either way it's too late now.

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Posted By: Matt (NEIA)
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 5:49pm
I have to agree with Ron(WA) and some of the others.  If i need something at an auction and my family and farm is relying on that peice of machinery and my neighbor also wants it, too bad, let the bidding begin.  I hope he has as much respect for me as i do him, but i can't let him buy it just because i'm scared to bid against him.  Some one should call a Wambulance here.

Posted By: On-the_road_again
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 6:18pm
This entire Thread should be DELETED

People will say what they want about a person
To those folks who mean something to you - the words mean nothing
To those folks who mean nothing to you - the words mean something

Are guys on here a bunch of 'gossip girls'?

EVERYBODY BACK TO WORK .......   

Posted By: Gary in da UP
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 7:18pm
OTRA , my thought Xactly , lets see the moderator  "poof" this one , and soon !  And to add this I will edit my post, if your looking for something , ask for a PM, from anyone who may have what your seeking, thats one reason we have that feature. To the seller, if you offer photos, provide them in a timely manner and remember who your customer is, and to the cherry pickers..... Start your own search !

Posted By: Eldon (WA)
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 7:28pm

Yeah!

-------------
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:

Posted By: Nathan (SD)
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 10:21pm

Delete this post?  I doubt any other post in history has had as many view count hits as this one.

Posted By: TerryMN
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 12:59pm
NORM IN wins for the most views to one post!!!!!!!  I have tried with on topic allis stuff, Cool pictures. Rare tractors. But call one guy an a__hole on the internet and people that probaly haven't been on the site for years are here to look at it.

Norm sells alot around here and also is a great sorce for some rare parts. He also has some stuff made that is no longer avalible. Maybe the deal could have went different. But like I always say (IF YOU DON"T GET THIS ONE THE NEXT ONE WILL BE BETTER).

Choose your battles.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net