This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Winco PTO Generator (HELP)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Winco PTO Generator (HELP)
    Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:38am
  Howdy,
I purchased a brand new Winco 27 Pto kw generator. Problem first time starting up! Running a AC 170 gas at 1500 rpm puts the generator  right at the 60 herzt they want. With no other load I turn on 6- 150 watt led lights in shed. The generator goes down to about 57 kw and stays their till I shut the lights off , meter goes back up to 60 kw then. Then I try also my 5 hp air compressor and you can tell the 5 hp motor has hard time starting up but does and then runs. After talking to winco they say the something wrong with the tractor! Tractor got 2700 hours on and runs like a top. I use it on a 6 foot brush hog with no problems. The tractor is already running 3/4 thottle just to keep generator at 60 herzt with no load. I never run my tractors pass 3/4 throttle. Generator rated at 54 hp so plenty of power. Winco says this generator should run house and shop. It cant keep 60 herzt with 6 lights on. Help

Thanks Kurzy
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:01am
To run a PTO generator, the tractor governor needs to be very responsive in order to keep the generator at 60 hz under varying loads.   
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:33am
  Howdy Calvin,
  How do you keep the governor very responsive? The governor does not kick in when generator goes down for more power. So  load is not big enough for gov to kick in?

Thanks Kurzy
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:35am
the pto generator is rated at 540 rpm PTO speed.... you might want to speed the tractor up 3-400 rpm for a test... I know you dont want the run the tractor over 1500, but the generator needs to be about 540.. try it as a test. ............ generator is 27,000 watts... 6 x 150 bulbs is 900 watts.. should easily do that... and should startup a 10 HP motor.

your tractor motor is RATED at 1800 rpm.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Sep 2021 at 8:38am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:13am
we always adjusted the throttle to keep the meter on the generator ACAP to 60 Hz. Ran it for a week after a Halloween ice storm in either '90 or '91 on an IHC Super H. I believe we have almost identical generators. Forget about using tractor tach, keeping the meter on generator happy is what you're trying for. IT should run all essential items in a house & acreage. We ran the house ( furnace, water htr, stove, washer, dryer, lights, tv etc. agreed not all at once ) the water well, 2 heated livestock waterers, block heaters on 2 tractors with NO problems. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:21am
  Howdy Steve,
  Winco does not want me to run this generator much over 60 hertz for it will wear out early. Yes I see the 1800 rpm rated, so I will try 1800 rpm and see how that works. I always believe in more hp that needed but in this case I am right at rated tractor hp. I had a AC generator, 30 kw surge with 20 continuous and run with a AC D15 just at a fast idle. Wish I still had but Winco says that old AC wasnt clean, green energy! So your new appliances would not like the old AC!

Thanks Kurzy
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:23am
I have never run a PTO generator with a gas tractor. The generator has to run at the proper rpm but it's likely good to run it 61-62 hz with no load. The generator doesn't care what rpm the tractor engine runs at as long as the PTO is the correct rpm. I was able to set my brand X tractor at 1000 rpm PTO with the 540 shaft so I could run the generator with the tractor at just under 1000 engine rpm which worked great since the tractor was 4 x larger than necessary. Now have a propane powered 35 kw with a Ford 300 engine. Have the HZ dialed a little on the high side.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:28am
  Howdy KJCHRIS,
  Your super H has less power then this AC 170 and run all that. You must of had it petty much full throttle? I will try more rpm. Just dont like running tractors that high rpm for long time.

Thanks Kurzy

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:33am
 Just dont like running tractors that high rpm for long time.

running the tractor a little faster will not hurt.. Your not worried about the engine SPEED as much as the constant HIGH HP output ( like plowing ?).... Nothing wrong with running the motor faster, your not really pulling much HP out of it.. Wont hurt the tractor..

You can set the tractor at 1600 rpm while you load up the generator... then increase the speed to get back  to 61-62 Hz as mentioned... that is a good procedure.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Sep 2021 at 9:35am
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:42am

Howdy Steve,
  I am going run the rpm up and see what happens. I will post back here with results.

Everyone Thanks very much.

Anyone got a AC 185 Diesel for sale?Smile

Kurzy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:05am
I had a AC generator, 30 kw surge with 20 continuous and run with a AC D15 just at a fast idle. Wish I still had but Winco says that old AC wasnt clean, green energy! So your new appliances would not like the old AC!

I bought a 10 HP generator about 1980. Worked great on lights, drill, skil saw... Then in 2000 we tried it on a computer and plasma cutter... Like you said, the "SIGNAL" was dirty ( not true AC) and they would not run........   I ended up getting a  13 HP stand alone 8000 w generator about 5 years ago... Works much better on "computers/ electronics" that need a clean signal.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:57am
Kurzy, yes it made the S H beller when a 220V item kicked in, at night you could see the flame coming out the exhaust. Where it hooks up at is close to the gas barrel, could refill tractor from either the gas or diesel barrels while hooked up. After the ice storm routine was; do chores, check eng oil/look at gauges/ fill tractor in morning,  go to work 8-10 hrs, come home fill it, do chores, top off tank go to house for the night. 
 IF wanted to really make it beller kick on the dryer fan on small bin 7.5 hp motor. I've had a 180 D on it and when run the house n farm then turn on the dryer motor on big bin it's 12.5 hp, that load makes the 180 D talk just have to give a bit more throttle to keep the meter happy. We didn't have anything on computer so no worry about clean electricity. Didn't hurt appliances or color TV. 
Mines rated 100A WinCo on 540 pto, it was used when I got itduring the 80's Farm Crisis. Modified its cart to hold my Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC welder and cutting torch, el-cheapo portable welder. Built cattle yard fences for a neighbor with it once. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Kurzy Kurzy wrote:

Howdy Steve,
  Winco does not want me to run this generator much over 60 hertz for it will wear out early. ...

Utter nonsense.
Mechanical governors at no-load MUST be set above the loaded speed, that's just the way they work.

Trying to start electric motors at much less than 60 Hz is not a good thing.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:15pm
27KW, is roughly 37 Hp, if you are running the generator short by 300 RPM's, now you're down to 22.5Hp. If you're trying to run and inductive load i.e. an electric motor, the available Hp will be closer to 20Hp, you need to speed the tractor up.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:51pm
    I have a 13k pto winco (early 60's model)that we've had forever and a CA. The herts meter hasn't worked in decades.  Last June when the electric went out, that pair ran my deep well, geo-thermal, freezers, fridges and all essentials for 18 hours. Not all at the same time but I'd turn on breakers as I thought needed. This was the first time for this setup at the new place. I set my throttle by using my volt meter in the dryer plug. I increased rpms until the voltage was 240. CA was about 2/3 throttle. When the deep well or geo kicked in, the CA would snort a bit but did just fine. When I built this house my electrician (a buddy of mine) wired my service (2-200 amp services) so that I could use my generator to power up one of the 200 amp boxes with all the essential breakers with my genny. 

If I have gas for the CA, my house will not freeze in the winter and my freezers will stay cold in the summer...(and I will have gas)I don't like being dependent on anyone that don't really care...
    If at some point, if the CA can't answer the call I could put the U or UC on the Winco
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:34pm
If your 170 has the aluminum carb, it is worn out at throttle shaft to where the governor is not working like it should.                    MACK
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:31pm
You need to set the no load speed about 62 hz. You set them a little high on purpose so when the engine rpms sag a little under load you don’t stray too far from 60. For a small engine powered portable this means no load speed is usually about 3700 vs the 3600 that most small engines are rated at.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Leon B MO Leon B MO wrote:

I have a 13k pto winco (early 60's model)that we've had forever and a CA. The herts meter hasn't worked in decades.  Last June when the electric went out, that pair ran my deep well, geo-thermal, freezers, fridges and all essentials for 18 hours. Not all at the same time but I'd turn on breakers as I thought needed. This was the first time for this setup at the new place. I set my throttle by using my volt meter in the dryer plug. I increased rpms until the voltage was 240. CA was about 2/3 throttle. When the deep well or geo kicked in, the CA would snort a bit but did just fine. When I built this house my electrician (a buddy of mine) wired my service (2-200 amp services) so that I could use my generator to power up one of the 200 amp boxes with all the essential breakers with my genny. 

If I have gas for the CA, my house will not freeze in the winter and my freezers will stay cold in the summer...(and I will have gas)I don't like being dependent on anyone that don't really care...
    If at some point, if the CA can't answer the call I could put the U or UC on the Winco
Leon B Mo
I’m right there with you on that. My wife refuses to have a wood stove so no electricity means no heat or hot water. When we bought this place 15 years ago we had ice storms the first 3 winters that took the power out for a week each time. I put in a 12k stand by unit that starts automatically and switches over and runs on LP. It was great after the derecho. We stayed cool and didn’t loose a freezer full of meat
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:12am

Howdy All,
  I got to use a John Deere 4040 , 90 hp yesterday. Took 22 rpm to run 60 hz no load. Started loading with them 6 led lights and then 5 hp air compressor. Generator when down just a bit but held it. 5 hp compressor started just great even with them 6 lights on. I then did take the generator up a bit to see if hold at 60 hz and it did! I was a happy camper to see this winco finally do its job. Now I will go back to running my AC170 with higher rpm. But I have to tell you the 4040 is used for grinding feed and he uses only 1800 rpm. But winco states that this unit only needs 54 hp to run. I think their a little short on hp requirements! Will get back to all when I put my AC 170 back on with roaring rpms.

Thanks Kurzy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:22am
HP and rpm are two different things... You can run your motor at 1800 rpm and put out 20 HP, or you can put out 50 HP.. depends on the LOAD and what the governor is doing with the carburetor...  You need 54 HP to run 100 amps on the generator... you dont need that HP if you are putting out 30 amps on the generator... BUT you do need the MOTOR RPM to keep the generator above 540 rpm.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:41am
  Howdy Steve,
  I like the idea of my old AC generator 35 surge with 20 continuous with AC D15 running only at fast idle. But not green power and limited power. If I have to run my AC 170 at that high rpm , I'll switchover t o self start units with its own engine. So then this Winco is for sale.

Thanks Kurzy
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Kurzy Kurzy wrote:

Howdy Steve,
  I like the idea of my old AC generator 35 surge with 20 continuous with AC D15 running only at fast idle. But not green power and limited power. If I have to run my AC 170 at that high rpm , I'll switchover t o self start units with its own engine. So then this Winco is for sale.

Thanks Kurzy
I have a 12k rated Briggs & Stratton brand stand by unit and couldn’t be more satisfied. It runs the whole house and garage. It’s not big enough to run everything and the central air at the same time though. I did run a 5000 btu window unit that surprisingly maintained the whole downstairs. I have to admit I was being cheap when I sized the generator. I’m kinda glad that I did it that way because it did burn 20% of my 500 gallon LP tank running that whole week. The best part is when the power goes off it starts itself and and switches the transfer switch automatically. Same when the power comes back on. Sure beats going out in the dark and rain to start up a tractor, hitch up a generator and run out to the pole to plug it in in my book.
Just in case anyone is wondering, the engine in mine is a Vanguard 810 built in Alabama and the generator parts are GE.

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 23 Sep 2021 at 9:42am
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:44am
    Howdy Brian,
    I like what your saying! Makes more sense to me to have automatic start and shut off. I'll saved my AC 170 for retirement. So I couldnt sell you my Winco?Embarrassed

Thanks Much Kurzy
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:54pm
A tractor's governor, and and the governor of an engine dedicated to running a generator, are totally different in their setup.

A tractor exhibits much more 'droop', while a generator exhibits very little.

When running a PTO generator, the engine speed is entirely based on the generator's design (rotor speed is a function of output frequency-  at 60hz, 2 pole = 3600rpm, 4 pole = 1800rpm, 6 pole = 1200rpm, 8 pole = 900rpm, etc.).

On a PTO generator, the generator is driven by a gear or belt reduction, so that the PTO rpm (usually 540 or 1000rpm) matches that required by the ROTOR's required speed.

What this means, is that any change in LOAD which reduces the rotor's SPEED (bringing frequency down) occurs until such point that the GOVERNOR reaches it's DROOP POINT (where it starts opening the throttle), and then, the governor's GAIN function (the amount it opens in proportion to an increase in load) comes into effect.

The short answer, is as everyone else has noted:  Dial it in at no load to some point slightly ABOVE 60hz... and as the load comes on, the governor will reach droop, and then start increasing fuel/air, frequency will 'level off' at an appropriate point.

A generator-specific setup is usually direct-drive, with the prime mover running 3600, 1800, 1200, or 900rpm in direct coupling to the rotor.  The governor is therefore set, at droop point, of the indicated rpm, to obtain proper line frequency.

Aside note-  a combine governor is similar, in that it exhibits much less droop than a tractor governor.

There's a half-dozen really good reasons why a tractor governor has more droop... and a dozen reasons why a generator governor has LESS.  There's also reasons why the combine governor is the way IT is... and I should probably write a book on it someday, but not here, and not now...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 1:26pm
Howdy Dave,
  Neither tractor governor opened up. AC 170 or John Deere 4040. Had to increase speed by throttle on both tractors.

Thanks Kurzy
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:24pm
That's because you didn't have enough load on it to affect sufficient droop for the governor to respond.

There are three basic 'modes' of governance:

Constant fixed speed,Constant speed with Low Idle,Full Adjustable speed

Constant fixed speed, is where you start the engine, and it runs up to whatever the intended operating speed is.  A SYNCHRONOUS generator (not an 'inverter' type) depends on engine speed being appropriate for the generator head... so there is no reason to run it at any OTHER speed.  For my 35kw Consolidated genset, it's 338ci Hercules JXLD is coupled directly to a Katolight 6-pole alternator, which means the engine and the alternator run at 1200rpm under no load, and full load.  There is no ability to run at any other speed.

Constant Speed with Low Idle is identical in concept to Constant Speed, but it has a mechanical link that allows the throttle to be pulled down to some slow spot, like an idle stop.  This is used on machines that, when running loaded, MUST run at a constant speed, but the Low Idle position is used when some operation (like warmup of engine and hydraulics is necessary, or shifting a PTO, or a maintenance operation, or some similar circumstance requires that the engine be slowed down in a 'not working' state.  A Combine Harvester is an excellent example, as is a hydraulic power unit, a crane, excavator, or fire pump (blown hose recovery).

Full Adjustable speed is unique in concept in that it has NO 'working setpoint'.  The governor will limit upper speed, but anything lower will be chosen by the operator in accordance with need.  A tractor is the most obvious example- you can set it at any point in it's range from low idle to full governed speed, and it will attempt to maintain any speed per your setting.

The difference in the three, is actually only a difference in ONE... FULL ADJUSTABLE GOVERNANCE.  Since the governor must be able to maintain any particular setpoint, it has to have centrifugal weights, springs, leverage ratios etc. that are very tolerant at any point.  In contrast, a 'constant speed' system uses weights, springs, and leverage ratios that are specifically chosen to be responsive ONLY to the designed speed... and no other.  A Constant Speed with Idle only has an overriding link to close the throttle... it is still set up to operate at the one fixed speed, and no other.

In making a constant speed governor, the weights, springs, and ratios make it SUBSTANTIALLY more responsive to slight speed changes.  An adjustable governance system, unfortunately, cannot be made that sensitive, as it will result in a jumpy, jerky, surgy machine.

The issue you experienced, is not limited to YOUR tractor, it is a fact-of-life of ANY tractor.  As others mentioned, linkage problems, throttle bushing problems, etc., all compound to make the issue considerably worse, but the base fact is simple:  A tractor's governor is simply NOT as sensitive.  Some will be better than others.

The generator is designed to operate at 60hz.  It's output voltage will DROP as rotating speed reduces, and as a result of that, it's power output will fall rapidly.  To complicate the matter, any frequency-dependant devices (like air compressors, refrigeration units, electric fans) will demand substantially MORE current as voltage OR frequency fall (it's referred to in electrical engineering as V/Hz ratio), so when you combine reduced generator output with increased load demand, you wind up with an electrical empasse... a state in which effectively 'nothing good' happens.

And for what it's worth, MOST 'common' generating units are set to run at 'high idle' which would yield about 62hz.

For clarity: 
'HIGH IDLE' is a term for an engine that is running at full governed speed, but NO LOAD.  Hop on your 170, start it up, and move the engine governor control to full-snot.  That's HIGH IDLE.

'GOVERNED SPEED' is a term for an engine that is running at full governed speed, at FULL LOAD.

'LOW IDLE'  is a term used to identify an engine running with the governance disabled (i.e. Constant Speed with Low Idle, or Fully Adjustable, wherein the governor's linkage has been either overridden by the low idle feature, or the fully adjustable lever has been retired to the slowest speed).

When running your PTO gen, you'll need to set the engine speed once the generator has a substantial load, or at least whatever load level you're expecting.  IF you put a load on the gen, but the engine RPMs slow down BELOW 58hz, you'll need to bump the lever up.  When you remove the load, it will probably climb above 62.  Hopefully your tractor's governor will be kind enough to respond.  If not, check for wear as others noted above, make sure the linkages are smooth, properly lubricated, etc.,

In a genuine industrial generator design, the governor is not only a 'constant speed' design, there's usually a bunch of OTHER design considerations that make it better for running that big generator... here's just a few:

Extreme flywheel mass:  Engine driven generators USUALLY have a substantial amount of rotating inertia.  This prevents rapid load addition or removal from having a rapid change of rotating speed. 

Intentional parasitic load:  Engine driven generators frequently have HUGE cooling fans, both on the engine radiator AND on the generator unit.  Not only does this assure that the prime mover and alternator stay cool under heavy load, high temps, and poor environmental circumstances, it also means there's a fair amount of static drag on the engine, so that the governor is actually already on the edge of droop JUST BY RUNNING.  You've already noticed that a no-load situation, going to a light load, caused no response from the governor.  Imagine, however, if you had some other load, like a silage blower, ALSO coupled... the blower would be requiring enough load for the governor to be applying throttle... which means the generator's load would be rapidly responded to, as the governor is already actively adding throttle.

Tuned-for-rpm:  An engine's intake and exhaust, the camshaft profile and timing, as well as bore/stroke, piston velocity, and other factors cause an engine to have a 'power curve'.  That curve has a 'peak torque' range.  In a constant speed design, the power curve will be set up such that the very upper peak of the torque curve will be JUST BELOW the governance point.  In an example, the HIGH IDLE point would be at 62.5hz, the torque peak is at 58.5hz.  In operating realm, as a load is applied, the engine goes from 62.5 down to about 60.5, and at max load, it's at 60hz... but in a 150% overload, the engine is pulled down to 59hz, where there's actually MORE engine torque available... which results in a generator that exhibits excellent recovery from start surges, and as a side-effect, responds well without 'hunting' (surging under light load)

Constrictive intake and exhaust...  Dedicated generating plant engines are often designed with some point in the intake and/or exhaust with a very carefully calculated and proven restriction point.  The purpose is to pull that torque curve down really hard when the governed SPEED is somehow exceeded.  It is unnecessary to run a 1200rpm generator engine at 1300rpm, so the intake and/or exhaust is frequently limited so that attempting to spin it past that speed, with any electrical load, will not be very successful.  A similar concept is used in a device called a 'velocity governor' to prevent overspeed in forklift trucks, flightline tugs, etc...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:43pm
put a set of E Gleaner weights in your 170. They are quicker to respond.                   MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:51pm
A properly adjusted and operating governor on a 170 gas tractor has a high idle no-load speed of 2000 RPM and a full load HP rating of 1800 RPM. That is a 200 RPM "droop" in speed at the wide-open setting. The governor is the quickest acting at this wide-open setting. With the engine only running at 1650 RPM no-load speed (540 on the PTO), the full load droop is probably 300 RPM, clear down to 1350 RPM engine speed.  This is because the governor is less sensitive at the slower speed. You don't understand how to set this tractor up to do what is intended and you're running it too slow for sure. The tractors governor or carburetor may have mechanical issues as well. Comparing a 90 hp Deere 4040 diesel to a 170 gas isn't even fair. Any diesel governor is much more sensitive than any gas governor, especially at part throttle settings.  You claim your generator is rated for 54 HP and you have "plenty". Well sir, a 170 gas at 540 RPM fully loaded on the PTO only has 51 HP, so you do not have plenty.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:31am

Howdy All,
  Like always this site is amazing with knowledge! Thanks you all.

I many not and dont understand this all but one last question please.

I understand my AC170  does not have enough power to run this Winco 27 kw, So what Allis tractor  above my hp would be advisable?

Thanks Kurzy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:38am
Kurzy, your tractor is fine... You need 54 HP to put out 110 amps or 27,000 watts, the MAX of the Generator....  If your running 70 amps, or 17,000 watts, you have PLENTY of tractor... You just need to adjust the engine speed to keep the  frequency over 60 Hz.

You said you had problems with 6 bulbs or a 5 HP motor.. That should NOT happen if you have proper engine speed... just increase to 1600- 1800 as needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic