URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=183402
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 2:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Winco PTO Generator (HELP)
Posted By: Kurzy
Subject: New Winco PTO Generator (HELP)
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:38am
  Howdy,
I purchased a brand new Winco 27 Pto kw generator. Problem first time starting up! Running a AC 170 gas at 1500 rpm puts the generator  right at the 60 herzt they want. With no other load I turn on 6- 150 watt led lights in shed. The generator goes down to about 57 kw and stays their till I shut the lights off , meter goes back up to 60 kw then. Then I try also my 5 hp air compressor and you can tell the 5 hp motor has hard time starting up but does and then runs. After talking to winco they say the something wrong with the tractor! Tractor got 2700 hours on and runs like a top. I use it on a 6 foot brush hog with no problems. The tractor is already running 3/4 thottle just to keep generator at 60 herzt with no load. I never run my tractors pass 3/4 throttle. Generator rated at 54 hp so plenty of power. Winco says this generator should run house and shop. It cant keep 60 herzt with 6 lights on. Help

Thanks Kurzy

Replies:
Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:01am
To run a PTO generator, the tractor governor needs to be very responsive in order to keep the generator at 60 hz under varying loads.   

-------------
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:33am
  Howdy Calvin,
  How do you keep the governor very responsive? The governor does not kick in when generator goes down for more power. So  load is not big enough for gov to kick in?

Thanks Kurzy

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:35am
the pto generator is rated at 540 rpm PTO speed.... you might want to speed the tractor up 3-400 rpm for a test... I know you dont want the run the tractor over 1500, but the generator needs to be about 540.. try it as a test. ............ generator is 27,000 watts... 6 x 150 bulbs is 900 watts.. should easily do that... and should startup a 10 HP motor.

your tractor motor is RATED at 1800 rpm.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: KJCHRIS
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:13am
we always adjusted the throttle to keep the meter on the generator ACAP to 60 Hz. Ran it for a week after a Halloween ice storm in either '90 or '91 on an IHC Super H. I believe we have almost identical generators. Forget about using tractor tach, keeping the meter on generator happy is what you're trying for. IT should run all essential items in a house & acreage. We ran the house ( furnace, water htr, stove, washer, dryer, lights, tv etc. agreed not all at once ) the water well, 2 heated livestock waterers, block heaters on 2 tractors with NO problems. 

-------------
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:21am
  Howdy Steve,
  Winco does not want me to run this generator much over 60 hertz for it will wear out early. Yes I see the 1800 rpm rated, so I will try 1800 rpm and see how that works. I always believe in more hp that needed but in this case I am right at rated tractor hp. I had a AC generator, 30 kw surge with 20 continuous and run with a AC D15 just at a fast idle. Wish I still had but Winco says that old AC wasnt clean, green energy! So your new appliances would not like the old AC!

Thanks Kurzy

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:23am
I have never run a PTO generator with a gas tractor. The generator has to run at the proper rpm but it's likely good to run it 61-62 hz with no load. The generator doesn't care what rpm the tractor engine runs at as long as the PTO is the correct rpm. I was able to set my brand X tractor at 1000 rpm PTO with the 540 shaft so I could run the generator with the tractor at just under 1000 engine rpm which worked great since the tractor was 4 x larger than necessary. Now have a propane powered 35 kw with a Ford 300 engine. Have the HZ dialed a little on the high side.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:28am
  Howdy KJCHRIS,
  Your super H has less power then this AC 170 and run all that. You must of had it petty much full throttle? I will try more rpm. Just dont like running tractors that high rpm for long time.

Thanks Kurzy

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:33am
 Just dont like running tractors that high rpm for long time.

running the tractor a little faster will not hurt.. Your not worried about the engine SPEED as much as the constant HIGH HP output ( like plowing ?).... Nothing wrong with running the motor faster, your not really pulling much HP out of it.. Wont hurt the tractor..

You can set the tractor at 1600 rpm while you load up the generator... then increase the speed to get back  to 61-62 Hz as mentioned... that is a good procedure.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:42am

Howdy Steve,
  I am going run the rpm up and see what happens. I will post back here with results.

Everyone Thanks very much.

Anyone got a AC 185 Diesel for sale?Smile

Kurzy

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:05am
I had a AC generator, 30 kw surge with 20 continuous and run with a AC D15 just at a fast idle. Wish I still had but Winco says that old AC wasnt clean, green energy! So your new appliances would not like the old AC!

I bought a 10 HP generator about 1980. Worked great on lights, drill, skil saw... Then in 2000 we tried it on a computer and plasma cutter... Like you said, the "SIGNAL" was dirty ( not true AC) and they would not run........   I ended up getting a  13 HP stand alone 8000 w generator about 5 years ago... Works much better on "computers/ electronics" that need a clean signal.

-------------

Posted By: KJCHRIS
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:57am
Kurzy, yes it made the S H beller when a 220V item kicked in, at night you could see the flame coming out the exhaust. Where it hooks up at is close to the gas barrel, could refill tractor from either the gas or diesel barrels while hooked up. After the ice storm routine was; do chores, check eng oil/look at gauges/ fill tractor in morning,  go to work 8-10 hrs, come home fill it, do chores, top off tank go to house for the night. 
 IF wanted to really make it beller kick on the dryer fan on small bin 7.5 hp motor. I've had a 180 D on it and when run the house n farm then turn on the dryer motor on big bin it's 12.5 hp, that load makes the 180 D talk just have to give a bit more throttle to keep the meter happy. We didn't have anything on computer so no worry about clean electricity. Didn't hurt appliances or color TV. 
Mines rated 100A WinCo on 540 pto, it was used when I got itduring the 80's Farm Crisis. Modified its cart to hold my Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC welder and cutting torch, el-cheapo portable welder. Built cattle yard fences for a neighbor with it once. 

-------------
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,

Posted By: Les Kerf
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Kurzy Kurzy wrote:

Howdy Steve,
  Winco does not want me to run this generator much over 60 hertz for it will wear out early. ...

Utter nonsense.
Mechanical governors at no-load MUST be set above the loaded speed, that's just the way they work.

Trying to start electric motors at much less than 60 Hz is not a good thing.

Posted By: bigal121892
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:15pm
27KW, is roughly 37 Hp, if you are running the generator short by 300 RPM's, now you're down to 22.5Hp. If you're trying to run and inductive load i.e. an electric motor, the available Hp will be closer to 20Hp, you need to speed the tractor up.

Posted By: Leon B MO
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:51pm
    I have a 13k pto winco (early 60's model)that we've had forever and a CA. The herts meter hasn't worked in decades.  Last June when the electric went out, that pair ran my deep well, geo-thermal, freezers, fridges and all essentials for 18 hours. Not all at the same time but I'd turn on breakers as I thought needed. This was the first time for this setup at the new place. I set my throttle by using my volt meter in the dryer plug. I increased rpms until the voltage was 240. CA was about 2/3 throttle. When the deep well or geo kicked in, the CA would snort a bit but did just fine. When I built this house my electrician (a buddy of mine) wired my service (2-200 amp services) so that I could use my generator to power up one of the 200 amp boxes with all the essential breakers with my genny. 

If I have gas for the CA, my house will not freeze in the winter and my freezers will stay cold in the summer...(and I will have gas)I don't like being dependent on anyone that don't really care...
    If at some point, if the CA can't answer the call I could put the U or UC on the Winco
Leon B Mo

-------------
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:34pm
If your 170 has the aluminum carb, it is worn out at throttle shaft to where the governor is not working like it should.                    MACK

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:31pm
You need to set the no load speed about 62 hz. You set them a little high on purpose so when the engine rpms sag a little under load you don’t stray too far from 60. For a small engine powered portable this means no load speed is usually about 3700 vs the 3600 that most small engines are rated at.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Leon B MO Leon B MO wrote:

I have a 13k pto winco (early 60's model)that we've had forever and a CA. The herts meter hasn't worked in decades.  Last June when the electric went out, that pair ran my deep well, geo-thermal, freezers, fridges and all essentials for 18 hours. Not all at the same time but I'd turn on breakers as I thought needed. This was the first time for this setup at the new place. I set my throttle by using my volt meter in the dryer plug. I increased rpms until the voltage was 240. CA was about 2/3 throttle. When the deep well or geo kicked in, the CA would snort a bit but did just fine. When I built this house my electrician (a buddy of mine) wired my service (2-200 amp services) so that I could use my generator to power up one of the 200 amp boxes with all the essential breakers with my genny. 

If I have gas for the CA, my house will not freeze in the winter and my freezers will stay cold in the summer...(and I will have gas)I don't like being dependent on anyone that don't really care...
    If at some point, if the CA can't answer the call I could put the U or UC on the Winco
Leon B Mo
I’m right there with you on that. My wife refuses to have a wood stove so no electricity means no heat or hot water. When we bought this place 15 years ago we had ice storms the first 3 winters that took the power out for a week each time. I put in a 12k stand by unit that starts automatically and switches over and runs on LP. It was great after the derecho. We stayed cool and didn’t loose a freezer full of meat

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:12am

Howdy All,
  I got to use a John Deere 4040 , 90 hp yesterday. Took 22 rpm to run 60 hz no load. Started loading with them 6 led lights and then 5 hp air compressor. Generator when down just a bit but held it. 5 hp compressor started just great even with them 6 lights on. I then did take the generator up a bit to see if hold at 60 hz and it did! I was a happy camper to see this winco finally do its job. Now I will go back to running my AC170 with higher rpm. But I have to tell you the 4040 is used for grinding feed and he uses only 1800 rpm. But winco states that this unit only needs 54 hp to run. I think their a little short on hp requirements! Will get back to all when I put my AC 170 back on with roaring rpms.

Thanks Kurzy

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:22am
HP and rpm are two different things... You can run your motor at 1800 rpm and put out 20 HP, or you can put out 50 HP.. depends on the LOAD and what the governor is doing with the carburetor...  You need 54 HP to run 100 amps on the generator... you dont need that HP if you are putting out 30 amps on the generator... BUT you do need the MOTOR RPM to keep the generator above 540 rpm.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:41am
  Howdy Steve,
  I like the idea of my old AC generator 35 surge with 20 continuous with AC D15 running only at fast idle. But not green power and limited power. If I have to run my AC 170 at that high rpm , I'll switchover t o self start units with its own engine. So then this Winco is for sale.

Thanks Kurzy

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Kurzy Kurzy wrote:

Howdy Steve,
  I like the idea of my old AC generator 35 surge with 20 continuous with AC D15 running only at fast idle. But not green power and limited power. If I have to run my AC 170 at that high rpm , I'll switchover t o self start units with its own engine. So then this Winco is for sale.

Thanks Kurzy
I have a 12k rated Briggs & Stratton brand stand by unit and couldn’t be more satisfied. It runs the whole house and garage. It’s not big enough to run everything and the central air at the same time though. I did run a 5000 btu window unit that surprisingly maintained the whole downstairs. I have to admit I was being cheap when I sized the generator. I’m kinda glad that I did it that way because it did burn 20% of my 500 gallon LP tank running that whole week. The best part is when the power goes off it starts itself and and switches the transfer switch automatically. Same when the power comes back on. Sure beats going out in the dark and rain to start up a tractor, hitch up a generator and run out to the pole to plug it in in my book.
Just in case anyone is wondering, the engine in mine is a Vanguard 810 built in Alabama and the generator parts are GE.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:44am
    Howdy Brian,
    I like what your saying! Makes more sense to me to have automatic start and shut off. I'll saved my AC 170 for retirement. So I couldnt sell you my Winco?Embarrassed

Thanks Much Kurzy

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:54pm
A tractor's governor, and and the governor of an engine dedicated to running a generator, are totally different in their setup.

A tractor exhibits much more 'droop', while a generator exhibits very little.

When running a PTO generator, the engine speed is entirely based on the generator's design (rotor speed is a function of output frequency-  at 60hz, 2 pole = 3600rpm, 4 pole = 1800rpm, 6 pole = 1200rpm, 8 pole = 900rpm, etc.).

On a PTO generator, the generator is driven by a gear or belt reduction, so that the PTO rpm (usually 540 or 1000rpm) matches that required by the ROTOR's required speed.

What this means, is that any change in LOAD which reduces the rotor's SPEED (bringing frequency down) occurs until such point that the GOVERNOR reaches it's DROOP POINT (where it starts opening the throttle), and then, the governor's GAIN function (the amount it opens in proportion to an increase in load) comes into effect.

The short answer, is as everyone else has noted:  Dial it in at no load to some point slightly ABOVE 60hz... and as the load comes on, the governor will reach droop, and then start increasing fuel/air, frequency will 'level off' at an appropriate point.

A generator-specific setup is usually direct-drive, with the prime mover running 3600, 1800, 1200, or 900rpm in direct coupling to the rotor.  The governor is therefore set, at droop point, of the indicated rpm, to obtain proper line frequency.

Aside note-  a combine governor is similar, in that it exhibits much less droop than a tractor governor.

There's a half-dozen really good reasons why a tractor governor has more droop... and a dozen reasons why a generator governor has LESS.  There's also reasons why the combine governor is the way IT is... and I should probably write a book on it someday, but not here, and not now...

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 1:26pm
Howdy Dave,
  Neither tractor governor opened up. AC 170 or John Deere 4040. Had to increase speed by throttle on both tractors.

Thanks Kurzy

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:24pm
That's because you didn't have enough load on it to affect sufficient droop for the governor to respond.

There are three basic 'modes' of governance:

Constant fixed speed,Constant speed with Low Idle,Full Adjustable speed

Constant fixed speed, is where you start the engine, and it runs up to whatever the intended operating speed is.  A SYNCHRONOUS generator (not an 'inverter' type) depends on engine speed being appropriate for the generator head... so there is no reason to run it at any OTHER speed.  For my 35kw Consolidated genset, it's 338ci Hercules JXLD is coupled directly to a Katolight 6-pole alternator, which means the engine and the alternator run at 1200rpm under no load, and full load.  There is no ability to run at any other speed.

Constant Speed with Low Idle is identical in concept to Constant Speed, but it has a mechanical link that allows the throttle to be pulled down to some slow spot, like an idle stop.  This is used on machines that, when running loaded, MUST run at a constant speed, but the Low Idle position is used when some operation (like warmup of engine and hydraulics is necessary, or shifting a PTO, or a maintenance operation, or some similar circumstance requires that the engine be slowed down in a 'not working' state.  A Combine Harvester is an excellent example, as is a hydraulic power unit, a crane, excavator, or fire pump (blown hose recovery).

Full Adjustable speed is unique in concept in that it has NO 'working setpoint'.  The governor will limit upper speed, but anything lower will be chosen by the operator in accordance with need.  A tractor is the most obvious example- you can set it at any point in it's range from low idle to full governed speed, and it will attempt to maintain any speed per your setting.

The difference in the three, is actually only a difference in ONE... FULL ADJUSTABLE GOVERNANCE.  Since the governor must be able to maintain any particular setpoint, it has to have centrifugal weights, springs, leverage ratios etc. that are very tolerant at any point.  In contrast, a 'constant speed' system uses weights, springs, and leverage ratios that are specifically chosen to be responsive ONLY to the designed speed... and no other.  A Constant Speed with Idle only has an overriding link to close the throttle... it is still set up to operate at the one fixed speed, and no other.

In making a constant speed governor, the weights, springs, and ratios make it SUBSTANTIALLY more responsive to slight speed changes.  An adjustable governance system, unfortunately, cannot be made that sensitive, as it will result in a jumpy, jerky, surgy machine.

The issue you experienced, is not limited to YOUR tractor, it is a fact-of-life of ANY tractor.  As others mentioned, linkage problems, throttle bushing problems, etc., all compound to make the issue considerably worse, but the base fact is simple:  A tractor's governor is simply NOT as sensitive.  Some will be better than others.

The generator is designed to operate at 60hz.  It's output voltage will DROP as rotating speed reduces, and as a result of that, it's power output will fall rapidly.  To complicate the matter, any frequency-dependant devices (like air compressors, refrigeration units, electric fans) will demand substantially MORE current as voltage OR frequency fall (it's referred to in electrical engineering as V/Hz ratio), so when you combine reduced generator output with increased load demand, you wind up with an electrical empasse... a state in which effectively 'nothing good' happens.

And for what it's worth, MOST 'common' generating units are set to run at 'high idle' which would yield about 62hz.

For clarity: 
'HIGH IDLE' is a term for an engine that is running at full governed speed, but NO LOAD.  Hop on your 170, start it up, and move the engine governor control to full-snot.  That's HIGH IDLE.

'GOVERNED SPEED' is a term for an engine that is running at full governed speed, at FULL LOAD.

'LOW IDLE'  is a term used to identify an engine running with the governance disabled (i.e. Constant Speed with Low Idle, or Fully Adjustable, wherein the governor's linkage has been either overridden by the low idle feature, or the fully adjustable lever has been retired to the slowest speed).

When running your PTO gen, you'll need to set the engine speed once the generator has a substantial load, or at least whatever load level you're expecting.  IF you put a load on the gen, but the engine RPMs slow down BELOW 58hz, you'll need to bump the lever up.  When you remove the load, it will probably climb above 62.  Hopefully your tractor's governor will be kind enough to respond.  If not, check for wear as others noted above, make sure the linkages are smooth, properly lubricated, etc.,

In a genuine industrial generator design, the governor is not only a 'constant speed' design, there's usually a bunch of OTHER design considerations that make it better for running that big generator... here's just a few:

Extreme flywheel mass:  Engine driven generators USUALLY have a substantial amount of rotating inertia.  This prevents rapid load addition or removal from having a rapid change of rotating speed. 

Intentional parasitic load:  Engine driven generators frequently have HUGE cooling fans, both on the engine radiator AND on the generator unit.  Not only does this assure that the prime mover and alternator stay cool under heavy load, high temps, and poor environmental circumstances, it also means there's a fair amount of static drag on the engine, so that the governor is actually already on the edge of droop JUST BY RUNNING.  You've already noticed that a no-load situation, going to a light load, caused no response from the governor.  Imagine, however, if you had some other load, like a silage blower, ALSO coupled... the blower would be requiring enough load for the governor to be applying throttle... which means the generator's load would be rapidly responded to, as the governor is already actively adding throttle.

Tuned-for-rpm:  An engine's intake and exhaust, the camshaft profile and timing, as well as bore/stroke, piston velocity, and other factors cause an engine to have a 'power curve'.  That curve has a 'peak torque' range.  In a constant speed design, the power curve will be set up such that the very upper peak of the torque curve will be JUST BELOW the governance point.  In an example, the HIGH IDLE point would be at 62.5hz, the torque peak is at 58.5hz.  In operating realm, as a load is applied, the engine goes from 62.5 down to about 60.5, and at max load, it's at 60hz... but in a 150% overload, the engine is pulled down to 59hz, where there's actually MORE engine torque available... which results in a generator that exhibits excellent recovery from start surges, and as a side-effect, responds well without 'hunting' (surging under light load)

Constrictive intake and exhaust...  Dedicated generating plant engines are often designed with some point in the intake and/or exhaust with a very carefully calculated and proven restriction point.  The purpose is to pull that torque curve down really hard when the governed SPEED is somehow exceeded.  It is unnecessary to run a 1200rpm generator engine at 1300rpm, so the intake and/or exhaust is frequently limited so that attempting to spin it past that speed, with any electrical load, will not be very successful.  A similar concept is used in a device called a 'velocity governor' to prevent overspeed in forklift trucks, flightline tugs, etc...

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:43pm
put a set of E Gleaner weights in your 170. They are quicker to respond.                   MACK

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:51pm
A properly adjusted and operating governor on a 170 gas tractor has a high idle no-load speed of 2000 RPM and a full load HP rating of 1800 RPM. That is a 200 RPM "droop" in speed at the wide-open setting. The governor is the quickest acting at this wide-open setting. With the engine only running at 1650 RPM no-load speed (540 on the PTO), the full load droop is probably 300 RPM, clear down to 1350 RPM engine speed.  This is because the governor is less sensitive at the slower speed. You don't understand how to set this tractor up to do what is intended and you're running it too slow for sure. The tractors governor or carburetor may have mechanical issues as well. Comparing a 90 hp Deere 4040 diesel to a 170 gas isn't even fair. Any diesel governor is much more sensitive than any gas governor, especially at part throttle settings.  You claim your generator is rated for 54 HP and you have "plenty". Well sir, a 170 gas at 540 RPM fully loaded on the PTO only has 51 HP, so you do not have plenty.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:31am

Howdy All,
  Like always this site is amazing with knowledge! Thanks you all.

I many not and dont understand this all but one last question please.

I understand my AC170  does not have enough power to run this Winco 27 kw, So what Allis tractor  above my hp would be advisable?

Thanks Kurzy

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:38am
Kurzy, your tractor is fine... You need 54 HP to put out 110 amps or 27,000 watts, the MAX of the Generator....  If your running 70 amps, or 17,000 watts, you have PLENTY of tractor... You just need to adjust the engine speed to keep the  frequency over 60 Hz.

You said you had problems with 6 bulbs or a 5 HP motor.. That should NOT happen if you have proper engine speed... just increase to 1600- 1800 as needed.

-------------

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:40am
27kw is about 36HP, so I'd think you need 40 PTO HP, to run it full out.
memeber that's PTO HP NOT engine HP.

ok tractor data says you've got 50+ PTO HP so MORE than enough to run the genny !!!

I suspect there's something wrong with the genny.
As long as it says '60 Hz +-1 or 2, you should be able to light a zillion light, power  skillsaws, etc. without ANY problems.

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:11am
DaveKamp, thank you for the excellent post describing the workings of mechanical governors.

An electronic governor control using a PID feedback loop has the potential to control speed more precisely, but that is really beyond the scope of antique tractors such as ours.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:26am
There sure seems to be some discrepancy of how many PTO HP it takes to operate this generator. The owner says 54 HP. Now we have a claim of 40 HP. The tractor makes 51 HP @ 540 RPM PTO speed, not 54 HP. It does make 54 HP @ 1800 engine RPM which would be about 600 PTO RPM.

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:28am
I wonder if the OP saying 54 HP is the "input" required to produce the output of 27kw (36 HP)?  The generator is not 100% efficient, nothing is. . .

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 12:02pm
being generac and honda dealers we work on lots of generaters and portable welders most of the problems is the is be caucause  the engine dosnt run proper the geny will not put out ,  we have some customers that are pumping water over the mountian to water troughs and they get loaded to the very max so we have these set at 3750 to 3900 no laod so they can hang on at 3500 to 3600 most of these have 100 gallon gas tanks hooked to them and run till they run out of gas or the oil switch shuts them down  with that use they start breaking down and having problems at around 3500 hours  

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 2:24pm
27,000 watts OUTPUT is 36 HP OUTPUT.... that is 750 Watts per HP ( fixed value)....
---- You need a lot MORE than that for INPUT to get the 27,000 OUTPUT... The generator is not 100% efficient ... The COMPANY says it 54 HP INPUT.. I take their word for that.

27,000 WATTS / 240 VOLTS = 112 AMPS output

again, the generator could be OVERISZED... If you only wanted to output 60-70 amps then you have plenty of HP on a 170..... but maybe not at 1500 rpm.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

...  we have some customers that are pumping water over the mountian to water troughs and they get loaded to the very max so we have these set at 3750 to 3900 no laod so they can hang on at 3500 to 3600 most of these have 100 gallon gas tanks hooked to them and run till they run out of gas or the oil switch shuts them down  with that use they start breaking down and having problems at around 3500 hours  

Interesting. I wonder at what point would it be beneficial to switch to a diesel? Maybe never on small generators?

I have always used a rule of thumb 2 gasoline engine HP per Kilowatt and 1.5 diesel engine HP/Kilowatt.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

27,000 watts OUTPUT is 36 HP OUTPUT.... that is 750 Watts per HP ( fixed value)....
---- You need a lot MORE than that for INPUT to get the 27,000 OUTPUT... The generator is not 100% efficient ... The COMPANY says it 54 HP INPUT.. I take their word for that.

27,000 WATTS / 240 VOLTS = 112 AMPS output

again, the generator could be OVERISZED... If you only wanted to output 60-70 amps then you have plenty of HP on a 170..... but maybe not at 1500 rpm.
Gee, I wish I has said something like that!WinkLOL

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 2:55pm
YEA... if you have electric power and you are running an electric motor , you figure about 1000 watts per HP,  ( even tho the 100% efficient calc is 750 watts)... so going backward from gas to electric ( generator) it would make sense to use a number at least 35% smaller than 750 watts... more like  500 watts OUT per HP IN.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:33pm
While you may need 54HP to get the FULL rated output of the genny, you certainly don't need that to get enough electrons to power a few lights or a skillsaw. No different than running a tractor at low speed to drag a cultivator to lightly deweed a soft soiled field. There's no way you'd run the tractor at full engine speed,you create enough engine HP for the load (work) it's doing.
The genny MFR should have graphs of input HP vs output power 'somewhere'. I KNOW I can get that for every Delco alternator....

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:19pm
thats right............ as long as you run the generator FAST enough to maintain 60 Hz or more.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:53pm
We have a portable 100 kw 3 phase genset with a 138 hp diesel running at 1800 rpm.
Should give some idea of kW to engine hp ratio. 
Last year I installed a 35kw Onan genset powered by a propane fueled Ford 300 engine
for my house/shop. Has the automatic transfer switch etc.  Works well. Have the no load HZ dialed in on the high side.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

While you may need 54HP to get the FULL rated output of the genny, you certainly don't need that to get enough electrons to power a few lights or a skillsaw. No different than running a tractor at low speed to drag a cultivator to lightly deweed a soft soiled field. There's no way you'd run the tractor at full engine speed,you create enough engine HP for the load (work) it's doing.
The genny MFR should have graphs of input HP vs output power 'somewhere'. I KNOW I can get that for every Delco alternator....

Two totally different applications. As the alternator ultimately puts out ~12 volts, as long as the alternator is running fast enough to be able to generate something greater than about 14 to 16 volts the system is happy. With generator that is powering AC loads, the generator has to be kept at a speed that will supply a constant 60Hz. In a power plant regardless of load, the generator always turns at the same RPM, to maintain a constant 60Hz.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:27pm
I could hook that 27,000 watt generator to my ALLIS "B" and set tractor at 1650 RPM and with 61 hz OUTPUT... i could run a skill saw and a dozen light bulbs..... I dont "NEED" the 27,000 watts to do that... maybe  2000 watts.......... ANY MOTOR will run that generator as long as your turning it above 540 RPM and getting over 60 hz. .... Your INPUT HP determines the MAX OUTPUT you can get without dragging the motor down.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:25pm
The 'car alternator' is an AC generator, 3 phase actually, and I can spin it at 60 Hz all day long to power 60Hz  equipment, however as the LOAD demand goes up ( more light bulbs...) you'll need to increase/decrease the field windings to get the amps out of it. When the demand for more power increase, it 'loads down' the prime mover, so IT needs to supply more power( torque) to maintain the correct RPM for the 60Hz power.
One example..... car doing 60 up a steep hill. To maintain a constant speed, YOU have to put the pedal to the metal, to get more POWER out of the engine to maintain that 60MPH. The reason for 60Hz is that most power equipment have primary transformers designed for 60Hz . The original powerplants at Niagara Falls were 25Hz, LOTS of iron and copper were needed. They were converted to 60Hz ,late 40s-early 50s,reduced the iron and copper. I still have the wall clock Hamilton Hydro gave customers when the conversion took place. Aircraft power was generally 400Hz and some 1000Hz, again less iron/copper = less weight, good for airplanes ! Power supplies for computers and stuff are now 20KHz or more(some 1MHz),again, reducing iron/copper for lighter,cheaper equipment.So it's not the speed that determines the HP needed to spin the genny, it's the LOAD.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:03am
Right, it’s not the speed that determines, it’s the load. But it’s the speed of the PTO shaft that sets the Hz of that type of generator.   And as you more / less said, just because the tractor is running that fast, doesn’t mean it’s putting out it’s max power.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:08pm
No, not interested in a PTO generator, but I’m going to add standby generators to my Briggs & Stratton dealership. I can get you set up with one if you’re in the central Iowa area

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:37pm
going back to the OP....
I downloaded the winco datasheet to see the 'numbers'...
your test load is 6 LEDs x 150watts each = 900 watts of LEDs, OK make it an even 1KW
winco says 2HP per KW, so.... old school math says 2HP x 1KW = 2HP. needed.
As long as the genny's spinning at 60Hz, those LEDS should be bright ! heck you're using less than 3.5% of the rated capacity on the genny ( 900 Watts out of 27,000 ),there's no way the genny ,let alone tractor would even KNOW them LEDs were connected and on.
as a test, grab a skilsaw see if it works OK, they use less than 12 amps, well within the 20A spec of the receptacle.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:08am

Howdy  jaymiller,
   Your math is very right! I thought that was petty sad too for  a new 27kw Winco! This week I start working with Winco factory from Minnesota. That was their first blame was my tractor! So lets see how this goes??

Kurzy

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:21am
If you don't have the engine/PTO running fast enough, it is the tractor !!  Have you actually tried it with the PTO speed above 1650 engine RPM ??

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:40am
As long as the meter on the genny say 60 +-2, tractor RPM/ PTO RPM is OK. Normal household power varies that much, and I'm just 40 miles+- from Niagara Falls.
If the tractor can run a bushhog it's got MORE then enough 'guts' to spin the genny to lightup a few LEDs...

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:51am
The tractor can run a bush hog at 1500 engine RPM, but NOT a PTO generator. He said that was the speed (1500) he was trying to run it at and I don't see that he has retested it at higher engine speed. He's been spending time trying to make the alternator charge the battery.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:06am
Exactly......... he has already tested the generator...

Howdy All,
  I got to use a John Deere 4040 , 90 hp yesterday. Took 22 rpm to run 60 hz no load. Started loading with them 6 led lights and then 5 hp air compressor. Generator when down just a bit but held it. 5 hp compressor started just great even with them 6 lights on. I then did take the generator up a bit to see if hold at 60 hz and it did! I was a happy camper to see this winco finally do its job. Now I will go back to running my AC170 with higher rpm

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:40am

Howdy,
  First you need a tractor that runs so you can run the Winco. MY Tractor stop starting right after I ran the Winco for the first time. That is way I bought in the John 4040. Even at 90 hp with 2200 rpm  at 60 hertz make  them 6 lights make the needle drop!

But I live in Montana, internet goes out so often I can not complete a sentence on here many times. Not to mention power goes off so often here too! That is way I got , I hoped a back up power. Not working so good.

This is a great site , with more great different opinions. 

Thanks Kurzy

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 10:49am
Make what needle drop from what to what?

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 5:34pm
If you’re still at 60hz NO LOAD, you are running the tractor TOO SLOW. You need to RAISE your RPMS to take in account for the load on the engine pulling the rpms down.
Things like lights, including LEDs, don’t care in the slightest about the frequency. An old fashioned manual battery charger won’t care either. An AC electric most definitely does. That’s why you set the frequency above 60 on a generator. When a motor starts there’s that huge surge to get up to speed. If you’re only at 60 before a motor starts you’ll pull the engine down probably as low as 55hz. Your motors won’t like that along with the reduced voltage. You’re also not doing the tractor engine any favors by lugging it down.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:49pm
As others already noted, the 4040 had no problem doing the job, because it is a diesel, and the diesel's injection pump is much more sensitive and reactive than a throttle plate in the airstream.  Fact of fluid dynamics... gases are compressible, liquids are not, and as a result, the diesel's fuel-metering will naturally be more responsive than the spark-ignition's throttle action.

The load curve of a generator is NOT LINEAR.  You don't start it up at no load, and have the horsepower requirement as a nice, consistent increase in proportion to load...  because...

The generating plant consists of TWO GENERATORS IN ONE.  The main alternator generates your AC output.  The EXCITER generates FIELD CURRENT (DC), which is metered by the voltage regulator, to increase excitation current to keep voltage stable.

The loading sequence that results, is as follows:

The prime mover brings the alternator up to slightly above synchronous speed... so... 61.5hz or so... for a 4-pole gennie, that's exactly 1845rpm, but 1850 is pretty common.

There's a little residual magnetism inside the iron frame of the main alternator, and some in the frame of the exciter.  The exciter thus starts to generate a little DC output voltage, and the main alternator generates a few volts of AC output.  Once the DC output appears, the voltage regulator determines the system voltage as way low, it bypasses all field series resistance, allowing ALL exciter current to flow through the alternator's field windings, which feeds the reactive magnetic field in the exciter's stator, and causes DC output to jump to 'full load' state for a fraction of a second.  This causes the engine load to jump up a bit (you'll hear the gennie 'grunt' for a moment, as the application of a DC load DOES create torque load.  The alternator's field winding is usually nothing to smirk at, my 35kw Kato's exciter output is about 20A at around 30vdc at full load.

Once the DC field has built up, the main alternator's AC voltage jumps skyward, the voltage REGULATOR reacts by un-shorting bypass terminals that add series resistance to the FIELD winding.  This reduces the excitation current flow to alternator field, to bring AC voltage back into proper range.  Once voltage falls, the regulator recovers, bringing voltage back UP into range.  This oscillation can cause instability... but more on that later.

When the exciter load comes on, the gennie shaft speed is dragged down, which as a load on the engine... slowing it down.  When the GOVERNOR finally figures out that the engine is under load (DROOP has occurred), the governor linkage slack is drawn or pulled out, and the engine throttle (or fuel rack) is allowed to increase to bring the engine back up to speed.

Without having ANY load on the generator, there is STILL a generating load on the engine.  Creating that excitation consumes shaft horsepower.  Spinning the fan INSIDE the generator consumes energy.

Once running, a small load doesn't generate any significant necessity for additional shaft horsepower, BUT... when the small load causes a little voltage drop, then the VOLTAGE REG starts allowing more current flow, which causes the original shaft HP demand to go up, not just from the load, but the power demand of the EXCITER trying to MATCH the load.

So before you even plug IN an appliance, or a lamp, the generator needs shaft HP.  When you apply more load, the governor AND regulator will be responding... governor to shaft speed, and regulator to output voltage... and how ONE of those responds to the load, directly impacts the OTHER's job.

The problem here is not available horsepower... it is strictly RPM.  No load at 1845... full load at 1800.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Les Kerf Les Kerf wrote:

DaveKamp, thank you for the excellent post describing the workings of mechanical governors.

An electronic governor control using a PID feedback loop has the potential to control speed more precisely, but that is really beyond the scope of antique tractors such as ours.

Yes, Les, a PID loop and electronic actuator WOULD, and DOES help, except with complexit anyway.

My 35kw Consolodated has BOTH a Hoof-Pierce mechanical governor, AND a Woodward APECS electronic PID controller.  Since the Hercules JXLD has a magneto with impulser, and propane fueling, there's no reason I can't start it from totally dead with the crank...  but if it's totally dead (dead battery) then an electronic PID system will NOT be able to control the generator for a while 'till it's actually RUNNING...  but the Hoof-Pierce CAN.

The H-F is set to high-idle the engine at 1240, and exhibits about 70rpm of droop (1170rpm)... that's 58.5hz.

What  I did, was set up the control panel circuitry to assume a 'dead' state that allows the prime mover to be hand started, and once running, the exciter's output brings up enough AC field to provide 12vdc through a transformer/linear supply.  The supply capacitors now charged, powers the APECs controller, which boots up, and starts counting teeth on the generator's ring gear, to get a speed signal.  The APECS then dials up or down the throttle to put it between 59.5 and 60.4.

In the event that the APECS fails, the Hoof-Pierce will allow the unit to run and generate, just with a wider freq range and not as much stability as the PID provides

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 6:01am
Ok, silly question.on an 'old skool' mechanical genny isn't the frequency meter (----60Hz-----) really just reading the PTO RPM , so that you set tractor throttle up or down until the needle reads 60 ?
I know there's some gearing involved, it may actually read the genny rotor shaft, but effectively , it's 'reading' the PTO shaft .
If this is correct, then once the tractor's RPM is set to get '60' on the meter, that's it...no further 'adjustments'.
I still can figure out how, as he can swing a bushhog(to me a high HP load), why the genny can't light 1000 W of LEDs.

dang 7AM here and dark...I could USE that genny, sniff, sniff...Fall is really here.
Jay

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:29am

Howdy Gentleman,
   I have to keep facts straight so it is.

Both tractors NEVER lugged down , neither did any governor kick in.  In my book both tractors were just roaring.

John Deere 4040 ran rpm at 2200 to run no load at 60 HZ.
    Allis 170  ran 1500 maybe 1600 the most to run no load at 60 HZ

So I took the 4040 up to 62 HZ then loaded and did hold 60 HZ.

I was surprised the 4040 needed 2200 rpm to run 60 HZ no load! Then my AC 170 quit starting after running the Winco. So I am working on that and will put back on Winco and run 62 HZ and see what happens.

Thanks for all info
   Kurzy

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:41am
Given (I would think???) that the 60 Hz is achieved very close to 540 PTO RPM, I am more surprised the Allils puts that out at 15-1600 than I am that the Deere is running 2200.  

What's the top RPM of the Allis 170?

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:59am
Basically the same as a D-17......1650 RPM eng speed is 540 PTO speed...….2,000 RPM high idle no-load.   The D-17 was rated at 1650 at 53 HP. The 170 was rated at 1800 RPM at 54 HP, but when slowed down to 1650 it only had 51 HP. Big hydraulic pumps take HP to operate.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:02am
  Howdy Tbones 95,
   The rpm gauge goes to 2500 but I did get my 170 started yesterday but not fixed, and could run tractor up about 2200 rpm. Could adjust linkage on throttle to get more rpm BUT I am not interested running my tractors that high.

Thanks Kurzy

Posted By: TramwayGuy
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:50am
Two comments:

A). If you don’t have a working frequency meter, you can use an old-style plug-in clock with a sweep second hand in conjunction with a stopwatch (or cell phone timer). The frequency is correct when the clock’s second hand takes exactly 60 seconds to go around.

B). Engine speed means nothing to the PTO alternator. What does matter is the speed input to the alternator’s gearbox(or pulley setup). PTO gearing varies among brands and even models of tractors. Frequency is the important thing.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:10am
I'm thinking the governor link rod needs to be shortened a bit to put the governor adjustment into better synch. This would slow the claimed high idle of 2,200 RPM down to closer to 2050 or 2100 RPM. This adjustment would make the governor more "lively"/sensitive to action. Pulling down on the link rod in the center and bending it down 1" would make a difference, but I don't want to get anyone confused on what I'm suggesting. This is an old A-C technicians field fix for a dead governor.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:23am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Basically the same as a D-17......1650 RPM eng speed is 540 PTO speed...….2,000 RPM high idle no-load.   The D-17 was rated at 1650 at 53 HP. The 170 was rated at 1800 RPM at 54 HP, but when slowed down to 1650 it only had 51 HP. Big hydraulic pumps take HP to operate.
Thank you.  I "forget" that there's that much RPM over rated PTO speed.  I have some tractors that aren't that way....but the 7045 goes a good ways over as well.  

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 4:59pm

Howdy All,
   I put the AC 170 back on the winco gen today. Ran winco at 62 hz at 1650 rpm on tractor. Ran them 6 led lights at 61 hz. But ran my 5 hp air compressor  alone, winco at 62 hz , when kick on compressor, gen went 56 hz then went to 60 hz holding but compressor did not sound like it was running good. so shut down compressor.

Call winco , this time called right to ceo. Fellow I was working with fell off the grid so as I had problem! After talking to ceo he said running 60 hz and compressor not sounding good means something wrong with Winco. Sending out a Winco tech as soon as he gets free. 

CEO was great to talk to.

Will come back on if anyone interested.

Kurzy

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 5:02pm
YEP... come back and tell us what he says!!........ would be interested ! 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 5:21pm
Please let us know, curious as to what they find.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:20pm
Yeah, well I think when the compressor wasn't at 62 Hz, I would have bumped up the throttle another 50 RPM because I'll bet it wasn't 1650 RPM at that point.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:25pm
   Howdy DrAllis,
   Not to be a smart here but if all possible I will try to have someone video this whole thing we are going to be doing with this Winco tech!  Just talked to him and it will be about 2 weeks to get here.

Thanks Kurzy

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:32pm
Why don't you just try my theory and give it 50 more RPM as you get it under that certain load ?? Not hard to do at all and would answer the question....fixed or not fixed.

Posted By: Ed (Ont)
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:31pm
Yup. Would sure be easy to try that!!

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:13am
      Howdy,
      When I really need this Winco to work I dont want to stand there and bump up and down the throttle as it needs more rpm when its already running 62 hz. ! Load the Winco empty at 62 hz and let it do its job like the people at winco said it would. They advised this 27 kw with this tractor for what I am going to use it for here. They dont want more then 62 hz. So far its not working. Wish I had my old Allis 20 kw back. It worked! It ran more things at just a fast idle, holding 60 hz all the time, on a D15 then this 27 kw .

Kurzy

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:19am
You're missing the whole point !!!    If your governor on the 170 isn't working as it should be, that could be causing your problem !!  If bumping up the throttle a little while you keep increasing the electrical load on the generator solves the problem, it must be a tractor governor issue !!  

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:33am

Howdy,
   Thats way I bought in the John Deere 4040. Same thing winco running at 62 hz no load and needle on winco went down too just to run 6 lights, only 950 watts! That needle should of never moved with that small only 950 watts. Down lower yet on compressor. Diesel and 90 HP!!

Kurzy

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:56am
OK. I'm too stupid to follow your posts. On Sept 23 you made it sound like the 4040 Deere ran 6 lights AND the air compressor just fine. Forget it. Get your Winco fixed.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:29am

Howdy DrAllis,

Sounds like both are at the end of the throttle! My tractor too  Smile LOL

Kurzy

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:38am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

OK. I'm too stupid to follow your posts. On Sept 23 you made it sound like the 4040 Deere ran 6 lights AND the air compressor just fine. Forget it. Get your Winco fixed.
You mean like this?
 I got to use a John Deere 4040 , 90 hp yesterday. Took 22 rpm to run 60 hz no load. Started loading with them 6 led lights and then 5 hp air compressor. Generator when down just a bit but held it. 5 hp compressor started just great even with them 6 lights on. I then did take the generator up a bit to see if hold at 60 hz and it did! I was a happy camper to see this winco finally do its job

Yeah, I'm officially lost. Confused

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:41am
I think it is BEST to get the TECH and get some testing done.. Then will have all the data to make a determination.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:14am
I agree with Doc, the observations noted in your posts are contradictory, hence, unfollowable to reasonable conclusion.

"when kick on compressor, gen went 56 hz then went to 60 hz holding but compressor did not sound like it was running good. so shut down compressor."

When the gen went down to 56hz, did the ENGINE SPEED STAY CONSTANT?

If so, your generator has a belt drive that is slipping, or you have a slipping coupling in the driveline.  Frequency is an absolute function of the synchronous generator's rotating speed.  1200rpm for a 6 pole, 1800rpm for a 4 pole, and 3600 for a 2-pole.  The reduction drive mounted to the alternator's input shaft translates the 540rpm PTO drive to one of those three speeds.

IF the engine IS slowing when you observe a change of frequency, the reason is simply because you do NOT have enough governor sensitivity to expect that level of response at a substantial current load.  Dropping to 56hz means your tractor's governor is not responding fast enough to PICK UP THE LOAD, which means your compressor motor is going through it's start up cycle for a much LONGER time than usual.   A motor's FLA rating identifies it's RUNNING load amperes, but it's STARTING AMPERES will usually be 6x or even 10x while it's starting up.  This is why you're seeing 56hz, and there's nothing wrong with the GENERATOR that causes it.  The tractor, regardless of how strong it may be, is not RESPONSIVE ENOUGH to pick up the load fast enough to absorb that start current.

An inability of the prime mover to respond to load changes, is the fault of either the prime mover and it's governor, or the expectations of the engineer responsible for selecting the prime mover for that application.  The #1 reason PTO generators fail to perform to satisfaction, is because they're coupled to a tractor, not an engine intended for use with a synchronous generator.  The #1 reason why PTO generators SUCCEED, is because they're coupled to a tractor with a very sensitive governor, carefully babysat by a very knowledgable operator, and under a constant, steady load.

What you really need, is a dedicated generating plant, with a properly integrated engine, governance system, matched to an appropriate generator head.

-------------

Posted By: corbinstein
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:05am
#1. The term Droop is correct as stated above. Just run a little faster might help. 
#1.5 2KW load shouldn't bother that tractor or generator in the slightest. Just make sure it's keeping the Frequency up. 
#2.  Me personally, I can't stand modern equipment. Modern seems to break faster (packed with electronics). You will miss the old genny more and more. 
#3. Most DECENT multimeters will have a HZ (frequency)  function if needed. 

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:21am
There's no bloating of technology in his PTO gen, I'm certain it is bare-minimum basic.  The PTO drive is unfortunately dependant upon the tractor's governance, and they're simply not a 'low-droop' governing application.

Using a for-purpose generator, with proper governance is the most effective solution, and it need not be overcomplicated... my generator shed has three, they will all hand-crank start.

It appears that he has the ability to read frequency, as he's identified it to 1hz.  I'm guessing he's using a modern multimeter for that circumstance, but he may be reading from an analog gauge on the WINCO, or it may have a digital readout on the WINCO.  If it were older, I would expect a vibrating-reed frequency indication, which is going to be satisfactorily accurate. 

No case of indication will compensate for a lack of droop response of the prime mover.  It's strictly a function of the governance design and condition.  It very well may be that if the tractor had a good carb rebuild (new bushings in the throttle plate, no vac leaks, etc., ) and the carb linkage was supple, yet without slop, and the governor same, it might hold to a tighter setpoint, but it's a VARIABLE governor, which means it is not optimized for any one point in it's control range, it's simply intended to keep the engine running at whatever speed it was selected.  In order for this to happen, it simply cannot be super-tight in droop, lest it will hunt at all but one particular speed.

Unless there is a mechanical coupling that is slipping, WINCO will identify that the input shaft speed is improperly maintained for operation.  Applying a constant, heavy load, and then setting the tractor's throttle control for 60hz is absolutely necessary, and when the load is removed, frequency will come up some, until the governor retires to a limiting state.  Depending on how the tractor's governor at that point is, it may be anywhere from 63 to 67hz or so... and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes higher.  Nature of the beast.

-------------

Posted By: BrianC
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:40am
Buy a Kill-A-Watt meter to check frequency and voltage. Modern DMM's also can check that. The kill a watt will also check load (watts being drawn through it).

540 PTO rpm is supposed to be @1624 engine rpm, according to tractor data tests.
So if  generator meter indicates 60HZ while tach shows 1500 engine rpm, something is not accurate. I would suspect tractor's tachometer. Please verify with DMM or the kill a watt device.

The Doc suggested a way to make the governor more sensitive. Also ask Winco if they have a write up or advice on tractor governors. Appreciate it if you share that info.

Which model Winco do you have?

The last generator I worked with was the military MEP-003a. Built like a tank.
10KW rating. 4cyl air cooled diesel, 160 cubic inches. On a skid, 1250 pounds.
I think it sagged 2 or 3 hertz from the load. Had a voltage trim knob.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 10:56pm
The MEP-003a was primarily a Libby contract, they used an air-cooled Onan 4cyl diesel generating plant... a wonderful little beastie, using a 12-wire alternating head, it'll operate single AND three phase, 10kw continuous duty under the worst fuel, highest altitude, lowest and highest temperatures, and most ugly situations possible.

They ran a respectable droop... no load is commonly around 62 hz, and droop holds it at 58.5 at full rated load.

They were excellent general purpose electric plants...

They DID have one tactical weakness-  they were excellent at drawing the enemy... they were pretty loud...

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:23pm
I wonder how this one ever turned out?

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:15pm
Did we get the Winco PTO generator fixed ??

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net