This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mounting Rear Tractor Tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 7:15am
Me Too! Best tool money I have spent in years.

Originally posted by Eldon (WA) Eldon (WA) wrote:

My latest investment...should have bought one years ago.
Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 7:28am
Best way I have found is take it to the tire place down the road.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Eldon, since you are our expert on tire changing, how about a video of you doing one that way?!?! Clap Sure, just need you to come out and hold the camera...

Everybody else agree??

ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Hockeygoon View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hockeygoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 8:36am
Just had the bead broke on 50 year old D17 rear tire. Laid it flat on the ground and put the outrigger from the backhoe on one side and used the bucket to push down on the other side. Took about 2 minutes to do what would have been a good couple hours of work.    

I have used the highlift jack method to break a bead - but on old nasty rusty rims I've found even all the weight of a D17 isn't enough to break one loose.
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:28am
My father was in the trucking business.  About 50 years ago, I started knocking apart truck tires for him using the wedge below to break the beads.   I was about 10 or 12 years old.  10:00/20's with lock rims.  For about 10 years while I still lived at home I did hundreds of them.  No safety cage, and never had a problem.  Wish I had a coin for every swing with the sledge hammer I took at that thing.
I have the wedge now and still use it.  I have no idea when he first bought it, but is was well used when I started with it.  BTW, it was made by Ken Tool.  I guess they've been around for a while.
On old tires that are really stuck, gas will really help loosen the bead. 
Obviously the longer the tire has been on, the harder it is to get off.  Bought a wd45 last year for the tires, which probably had been on since the 60's.  On the first tire, it took me and my wedge, down pressure from the front end loader, and driving on it with another tractor over 4 hours to break it loose.  For the 2nd tire, I took it to the local tire shop.  Cost me $20 bucks to have it dismounted.  $20 bucks well spent......

If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 6:05pm
I agree with Eldon on the screw type bead breaker. It works where other methods fail, and is a lot safer. The professionals use a hydraulic version.y
I also found that the tire lube works better than anything else. I got it from Gemplers
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 5:31pm
I just had the time to see if the tire machine at work would pop the beads and am happy to say it popped them loose no problem. I guess now I need a couple irons to get the tire off the rim.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 1:17pm
vegetable oil is my tire lube...kinda messy but no worse than the goop at the tire store
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 9:10pm
Are you all kidding everyone. I was 22 years in the farm tire business you guys are doing this the HARD way. Do not use atf or grease on tubes, beads. Do not put gas on the beads it AIN`T going to help, it too is a petroleum product and will eventually cause rubber deteriation. Buy a jug of rubber lube from NAPA. It isnt the slickest rubber lube but it is usually in stock. It is far slicker than dish soap. If you are buying new tubes, only buy the HEAVY DUTY RADIAL tubes. They are the only tubes that are any good.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 4:32am
I agree, I wanna see a vid of Eldon werking!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 8:26am
Had an old-timer teach me how to do truck tires years ago.   Made his own lube, bottle of Dawn dish soap and a couple capfulls of floor wax. Was slimey as snot, but you could almost throw the tire on the rim. As for split rims, if you don't have a cage, lay the rim on the ground with the ring facing down. That way if it does pop of when airing up it may lift the tire off the ground a few inches, but at least it doesn't send the ring flying up a take your head off. Not a bad idea to wrap a heavy log chain around it also. The way we did it was a 2 man operation. Need a tire Chuck that clamps on. One guy kinks the hose while the other guy seats the bead. When the bead seats, release the hose.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 12:59pm
Ever use Frey Lube? It's kind of like stiff grease and will seal tires to rusty wheels. The Goodyear store I worked at years ago had us use it on all aluminum wheels so they didn't corrode and cause a bead leak.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
daddy2kids View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy2kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 10:28pm
It was my experience with my dad through fixing farm equipment like tractor that I got to learn to become handy with mechanics. To me I saw him as a McGyver of sorts when it comes to using power tools in ways not one would use conventionally. I'm teaching my kids what I learned from my dad because I don't want them to not learn anything physical and just be staring at their phones and computer. This is a good place to learn everything I can about our equipments. Thanks.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:25am
My neighbor has one of these for his truck tires
[TUBE]BVhO2ML1k48[/TUBE]
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Eldon (WA) Eldon (WA) wrote:

Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

Getting the second bead off the rim was the worst part until I chained  the rim to bottom of forklift and tire to forks, raised lift it came right off.      MACK

I used to do mine that way but it was still a pain and hard on the tire. Now I lift the rim with the Skidloader and get the tire/wheel to almost stand vertical, then use the spoon to get the tire started then I take a long skinny one and slip it between the tire and bead, shove it in as far as I can, swing the handle so the other end grabs the rim lip and then pull the bar outward. You have great leverage this way and I just work my way around from the top down on both sides and the tire just falls off when you are about half way around. It is basically the opposite of putting the tire back on by sitting the rim on top of the tire.

I have stood them up against a steel post at the factory and broke the beads with the forks on the fork truck.  The 24" I have laid on the forks and used the 50 ton hydraulic press. Larger than 24" will not fit far enough back in the press.

Another way!

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:55pm
That little screw tool is the cats meow.  Hadda set of 14.9 X 26's on a JD 430 industrial, that my tire guy gave up on, I bought that tool, when Gemplers had it fer about $150.  One of the best things I ever bought.Thumbs Up
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

My neighbor has one of these for his truck tires
[TUBE]BVhO2ML1k48[/TUBE]

You said something about tires? I didn't notice, was there a tire in that video?
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic