This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mounted Corn Pickers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dale H. ECIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale H. ECIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 9:23am
I have a WD with a 33 mounted picker on it. My son feeds  25-30 head of steers out a year so he wanted ear corn for them, he has a mixer grinder. We have planted about 12 acres of corn in wide rows for several years on my farm for him. The WD has done a good job over the years but last year Matt bought a 2 row NI pull type picker for a back-up. Good thing he did, last Sat. we were picking his corn and the old WD decided to put a rod through the block!! This will be a winter job we were not planning for.
Allis Chalmers Museum, Paris, Il.http:// www.allischalmersmuseum.com 217-275-3428
Sponsored Links

Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 9:52am
Ouch! Dale, and that probably wont be fun taking the picker off of a non-running tractor. Good luck!
KGood, money was so tight back in the day that most guys had to run equipment until it was about totally worn out and fit only for the scrap yards. Often a similar machine was purchased and parts were robbed from the worn out pile.
DonMi, have you turned off the headlights on your dog yet? He might run his battery down!  LOL
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 11:39am
" WC was too fast and he called the AC a sunshine picker. He says if it was damp out you couldn't go but the 33 didn't shell while the F20 and IH picker left yellow streaks in the field"
Even the WD was to fast with 13.6x28 tires on it. 12.4 tires were better.  The WD45 was slowed down enough to handle the capacity of the picker. 
  I always figured it was not a green stalk picker because of the wrapping but if the corn was dead ripe,  it would go even in the damp.
 Twentyfive or so + years back. Dad and I were trying to finish up picking corn and it was a damp day all day, dark and gray.
  Dad picked while I was doin morning chores and he filled the wagons. When I got done, I went and unloaded the wagons and about noon I crawled on the tractor and Dad unloaded wagons till chore time. Then we switched while I milked the cows and fed. After dark, must of been around 7:30 I got back to the field and back on the tractor. Nephews came and helped dad unload wagons for awhile.  No longer was it just damp, it was misting and longer into the night the more mist we we had ...and more mud on the tires.
  I remember picking the last two rows with the old LP gas WD  and 33 picker watching the stalks dissappear in the head lights while I was huddled over the steering wheel and shivering, wet prenuir clear thru and two miles from home.
 At around 2-2:30AM Dad had come back to see how I was doing. They had stopped unloading 4 wagons earlier...  cuzz what was left would fit on the last wagon...and it was full too. He asked if we should leave the outfit since we were two miles from home and I said no, and he handed me his warm jacket and I crawled on the picker and headed out while he crawled into the pickup where there was heat.   Pulled into the yard and unhooked the wagon and put the old picker tractor into the shed and shut it off, Gauge on the tank read 10%... any longer in the field, I wouldn't have made it home. Nice and quiet even with the heavier drizzle, which was almost a rain.  Went to the house and got the wet clothes off and into dry ones and stood in front of the heater for awhile and finally crawled into bed, it was 3 AM... Awoke at 6:30 and looked out... EGADS! There was 2 ft of snow on the ground ...WET snow..  and the snow stayed the rest of the winter.    We sure were glad that we got done picken, and beating the weather... And the picker didn't break down somewhere during the day making it possible.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 1:00pm
JC,

that has got to be the best corn pickin story I have ever read! Thanks!

And dipstick, the dog is always on full throttle, never runs his batteries down! LOL
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Wingnut87 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingnut87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 6:31pm
Here are a couple videos!

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/zNbV2JuUEzE[/TUBE]

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/F4F_5ky4_q8[/TUBE]
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by KGood KGood wrote:

Seems like alot of people had an IH picker at one time. But I didn't notice anybody have one still running. Were they cheap and disposable?

IH was number 1 in tractor sales so they were probably number one in picker sales too. I don't think any pickers were cheap and the concept of disposable equipment hadn't arrived yet. The self propelled combine and shelled corn drying killed pickers in general and pull type pickers were the nails in the mounted picker coffin.
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 7:15am
Great story, I always love reading the stories you guys post, and I always loved picking corn for about 2-3 years until we started feeding the milk cows shelled corn.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:02am
Always thought the cob gave a little extra roughage in the cows diet... and it would go back to the field as processed fertilizer. 
  Higher the protein and more pushing for production, the more the vet is out too. - Neighbor quit feeding for top production from his cows and went back to feeding more dry hay and grazing. The vet asked him one day in town if everything was alright since he hadn't been called in a long time.  Modern day ideas sometimes don't pay in the long run...LOL

Edited by JC(WI) - 28 Sep 2012 at 8:03am
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:40am
When I had calves, I ran ear corn through a burr mill. Last batch of Angus-Holsteins I had, the butcher said he had never seen a more perfectly marbled mess of meat before. And it tasted great tooTongue
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 3:22pm
I don't think we ever saw much improvment in milk production switching to shelled corn. We did however notice that it only took 1-2 days to fil the silo instead of 1-2 weeks. ;) I like the 2 weeks better. 2 row NI picker with a 12 roll husking bed pulled with the powershift JD 4020.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 6:17pm
Ear corn does have its advantages and disadvantages.  We still put up a couple cribs and feed it to the dairy steeres.  Seems to work really well and we have some nice looking animals off of it. 

My Grandfather started picking with flat top WC and mounted corn harvestor he was able to get during the war.  When the WC was traded in the picker was put on the new WD.  In the early 60s he got a late 33 that was painted persian #2 and had the roller chain gathering chains.  We still have this unit.  In the late 70s we bought a New Idea and put that on the D17.  What a picker that was!  We finally wore that out a few years ago about the same time we quit milking.  We have had our neighbor pick for us with his IH 234.  That unit does a good job as well.  We did use my 190 for a few years and the video posted earlier is my video of my Dad runing the 190.  You dont loose any shelled corn with this one but doesnt have near the capacity of the New Idea.  I have picked some with my pull type corn harvestor as well.  One thing I noticed with the older pickers is if you pick in a light mist they do husk better!

Notice the A-C flare boards on the wagon

Last year I bought a pull type New Idea.  Hoping to get some pictures soon.
Jim

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 7:57pm
Great pictures as always jim. Thanks!

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:35pm
Jim that 19 is fer shure not a trailer queen! A tractor is made to operate and enjoy, not just to stare at in my book. I have my uncle's 49 WD that we got new when i was 8. I use it mostly for spraying now, but next weekend it will be hooked to a No. 2, 2-14 and go play in some alfalfa sod. I do take it to the fair and show it, in fact this year I even washed the bird-doo off before I went. I didn't touch all of the grease and oil leaks because I didn't want it to rust overnite.
It always amazes people when I get the "hand-commencer" off the fender, give it a half turn at full choke, and another at half choke and it's purring. They just have a hard time believing something that old a rusty can run that good!
Then I tell them my uncle and I overhauled it back in 65 when I got out of the Army, and that's why! To my recollection, that tractor has never had a clutch put in it, and it still has the factory handclutch.
Thanks for the picts, I enjoyed them.

Don I'm glad that pup keeps the battery charged, I was worried!! LOL  
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:50pm
we picked up a uni system last year. havn't got to use it much. it has a few problems mostly carb issues and exhaust. 4 row head will be way fasted than the pull behind ni one row.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Dave in il Dave in il wrote:

Originally posted by KGood KGood wrote:

Seems like alot of people had an IH picker at one time. But I didn't notice anybody have one still running. Were they cheap and disposable?

IH was number 1 in tractor sales so they were probably number one in picker sales too. I don't think any pickers were cheap and the concept of disposable equipment hadn't arrived yet. The self propelled combine and shelled corn drying killed pickers in general and pull type pickers were the nails in the mounted picker coffin.

In SW Minnesota, the mounted pickers came after the pull type pickers, but the corn heads on the combines did both of them in.   There were also a few MH self-propelled pickers around in the 50's.

Edited by 427435 - 29 Sep 2012 at 6:15pm
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:14pm
JC, just reread that post about picking corn at night. Boy that sure was fun to read again! Especially after a hard day at work!

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm
We ran a N/I mounted picker on a D17 for 16 years that I can recall, put it on/off every  fall as that was the "big" tractor on the farm; harvest/spring tillage. There was a post about wet ground/getting stuck with a mounted picker, more than once I got to drive the Gleaner A pulling a wagon and tractor/picker combo backwards Wink and I was only 8 Smile
Thanks for the memories !! I diligently helped dad remove fenders, headlights(series 2), wide front end to narrow, and swapping rear wheels to get the elevator clearance. Really miss the "bonding" time with dad Stern Smile

Edited by FREEDGUY - 26 Mar 2020 at 7:24pm
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:50pm
I read JCs post when he first posted it . I had remembered the story but not who told it . I have since met JC in person at Hutch . Great story .
We had a pull behind Oliver 2 row that was a handful behind the D-17 in a muddy field with a full wagon . Got better when the D-19 showed up .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:57pm
Like others have stated, the dirt/dust wasn't as bad as some would imply, I was dirtier/itchier stacking hay/straw behind the baler than I was in between the elevators on the mounted picker Smile
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:07pm
Only mounted picker we had was a deere #226 on a 36 A tractor. Not bad cept no muddin with it, had 1" between tires and picker!  Didnt shuck the best.
Later Dad got into the Massey sp jobbers. At that point not 6 shucks per wagon.
One of dads shelling customers had a 33 on a wd, brought in everything in the field, Stalks roots, and of course the rocks! ---I always hated shelling for him. work your butt off for 2 loads of shelled out of a crib that should have had 12 loads in it.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Keith M View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:24pm
I’ve still got the D-17 diesel I first ran with 2 row mounted p sicker. The guy who owned it before I bought at his auction would only use diesel tractors for mounted pickers and he ran 3 Orange, Red, and Green the tractors that is. They all had new idea pickers mounted. Two of us could mount all three before lunch no problem. But I was a lot younger and faster moving back then. Ran a 620 JD with JD picker but didn’t like that set up as well. Ran more wet bottom ground and burying the front end was more common than I wished. Old Leonard wouldn’t even think about going around a wet spot even if it had standing water. They did a good job but felt like a rich kid when I got moved up to running the K Gleaner.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:30pm
I started reading the old thread and sadly I seen at least 3 forum members are now on the permanent missing list. Jim Lindemood, Mark- 427435,  Dipstick in Indiana,
 and several that haven't posted for awhile.

Don, here is a pic of the old WD from several years back, thought I had a better one. We have a vcr tape of it picking corn but need to someday figure out how to get it transferred to computer...  I haven't had it out in several years now, but think I need to take it out and pull the picker off so I can use the old tractor when I want to. and put the picker on a different WD. Was the main tractor on the farm for several years back in the 50's and early 60's then in the 70's got the picker on for the last time and been on ever since.
https://allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/242/WD_LP_gas_picker.jpg

Yes Pat, that was me. Still remember that time, but now I think I wouldn't be able to do that again even if I had to. I would be frozen to death in that cold... You got a little heat off the engine when you were hiding behind the corn rows, but get on the side the wind was on... you wouldn't get any heat.  And the fans really didn't blow any cold on you ... or at least I don't remember that. I remember them being noisy. Usually we shut them off when running down the road.
 Those were the good old days.
 Got other stories too, Like the first 2 row NI old pulltype picker we got, had more trouble with that than did with the 33...  I thought we were really going to pick some corn, what a dissapointment when the 190XT in cab warmth comfort didn't pick anymore corn than the old 33 picker did. Later we got a 324 and yet we used the 33 picker quite a bit.
Back in '98 we had 32 acres of corn 5 miles from home... and the weatherman was forecasting lots of snow heading our way. I wanted to pick 2 more loads of corn from up there and I hustled through evening chores early and got up there about dark with the picker tractor and wagons... I picked the first load and started picking the second load and broke a gathering chain, I crawled under and clamped the tightener back and fixed the chain and layed down on the husks under the picker. was warm under there with the heat of the engine blowin down in there... took a little nap and I woke up and crawled out and it was starting to snow... I finished the load and hooked up the second wagon and pulled out of the field and got on the road Got a mile down the road and the tractor started heating up and had to get off and wipe the radiator off of the snow buildup, another mile, had to wipe the snow off, I was headed straight into the snow storm... next mile I wiped it off... and had 2 miles to go and here came my father to see where I was... He wasn't suppose to be out in weather like this with his poor health... snow was already about 6" on the ground and told him I would wait for him to get turned around and he said he would follow. Got a half mile from the farm and I turned into my field and unhooked the back wagon because I figured I wouldn't make the hill with both wagons and was glad I did, had to spin my way up the hill.  Think it was around midnight when I got home,  unhooked the wagon by the edge of the driveway and parked the tractor in the shed. Glad the night was over with.
 Couple weeks later I took the XT and 324 picker up there to finish the rest of the field... and hit a rock under the snow and tore the center snoot off... arrgh! Glad it wasn't the old 33 picker... See how wore it is in the pic from the mud on the front tires rubbing on it...
  Those kind of days are over with for the old man and the young ones will never experiance that in their lives either, but then again it will be with the more modern machines in cab comfort they will have their 'unique times to remember.
Dad had talked about picking corn by hand in the moonlight to get their fields picked back in his youth... and having a husking peg in their hand to assist in taking the husk off the cob as they picked it... if you were really fast, you could have one cob hitting the bang board and one cob in the air... and reaching for the next. LOL  Don't know how long it took them to pick a load, nor how big a load they picked either, but he talked about a triple box wagon for picking into.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 12:47am
Great stories! Like some others we had 2 pull types at home, morning  and afternoon pickers for wet and dry stalks. A Wood Brothers and an International, both 1 row but can't remember which was used when.
In 1962, I believe, parents bought a 195 acre farm 20 miles from home for $180 an acre.
We planted over 100 acres of corn there the first year and hired a neighbor with a Farmall M and mounted picker to take it off. Averaged 119 bushel per acre and with corn at around $2.00 grossed over what he paid for those acres. I was in FFA at the time and had taken soil samples and discovered previous tenant farmer had been been putting on way to much fertilizer. So we raised that 119 bu. with no fertilizer and using Ebberts seed corn I got thru FFA at $6 a bag. Ah for the good old days.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Don(MI) Don(MI) wrote:

Its a bear to put on! you need 2 people really.  

We did our WD 2 years ago, here are the pictures. Also, did a little engine work before putting picker on, so that took longer. Whatever AC advertised to put them on for time, was highly underestimated. enjoy.

My Dad got pretty good at switching his 33 on and off his WC when it was the only tractor he had. Less than a half hour to install he claimed, once you knew how to set it on and off properly. He said it sure beat the F20 and IH picker he had ..... other than the IH picker had more capacity and you could pick on damp days but the IH left yellow streaks on the ground. I'll ask him again today to confirm.

Man I just realized this is an old thread..... still fun to read a second time!

Edited by Lonn - 27 Mar 2020 at 7:02am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:18am
Fires were a concern.   My family had a New idea picker and it caugh fire with two differnt WDs under it.

I still remember going up the road when my uncles did the annual task of mounting the picker.  It used special pedal set, single front wheel, and a lot fo fenders and stuff had to be removed.

My brother and I always played on it when it was sitting in the barnyard.   It had the husking attachment behind the tractor so it was especially interesting, and we pretended it was a rocket ship. 
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 3:10pm
Thanks to all posting these memories!

JC, thanks again for taking us back in time to the way farms used to be. What good memories! I could only hope to experience some of what you have.

Would love to plant 5 acres or so of corn just to take it off with my picker. Life is to short not to have fun! Some folks said I should sell the ol 33 picker and WD. I just can't come to selling it, especially after dad and I put blood sweat and tears, into fixing the tractor up and mounting the picker!

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:10pm
There were at least 8 mounted pickers within a 25 mile radius of our farm back in the mid '70's. Mostly New Ideas but 2 Olivers. Never heard of fires with mounted pickers. Perhaps just lucky, hybrids ??
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 10:34pm
Don, I spent many hours on that old tractor picking corn... but also for raking hay, baling hay, cultivating, plowing and disking... it was always unique to me to have it on Propane. Dad had it converted in 59-60 winter. The hoses are getting old and I need to get a new filler hose now if I start using it any amount.

To take off the old 33 picker, Dad parked our picker behind the granary and had a special board nailed up on the wall there to rest the elevator on. He would have the snoots off the front and sides and then back up until the elevator would start raising and then stop. Placed cement blocks under rear corners front frames. set the picker down and wedge boards between the rear blocks and frame, Pull the pins and disconnect the lift and drive away from it.  Then take off the front half of PTO and hang it in the shed.  and whatever was on the tractor went in the shed too. Then bolted the bell assembly back up, turned the lift cylinder backwards and put lift arms and tail plate back on and the fenders too Slam the hitch on and go to work. If it was going to be used for cultivating, then the side brackets and shields came off too.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
D17Milo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17Milo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:46am
Our local FFA would put a tractor and mounted picker in the town square. It would have a dummy entangled in the picker and a sign reminding farmer to be careful and to take breaks.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:56am
Is there any good market for Ear corn anymore? Or just for grinding and feed? I love love to grow it to pick, but just don't have a use for it myself.

Anyone else have pickin stories??? Please share!

My grandfather still has his 2 row new idea, didn't use it the past few seasons though. I think he has told me stories about picking in December when the snow was on. And probably has stories of the 35 pull type picker they had. Had to be a big improvement over picking by hand!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic