This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 20>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:38pm
Final coolant system fit out today, that is refilled and holding. Fuel injectors boxed up for UPS to Diesel Controls, Massillon OH
Replacement processor goes to Cat for reflash this week. Be reinstalling pan plugs and adding oil tomorrow as well finishing trans cooler install.

Loads of small work to complete until injectors return. Tentative date early July.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 6:35pm
Start date may get extended if price is too high.  Just got word from CAT as I dropped off the used "6NZ" replacement processor to be reflashed(Under $200) that is incorrect for the engine series.  Is NOT for a C15 as defined by seller, is for a C12, different engine altogether where according to Cat Foreman will require a Total system delete purge and reload with correct engine code parameters.  "Will cost REAL Money" as he explained, is going to call back Monday with a 'Estimate' to purchase a Re-programming data program and a few HOURS of shop time to clear existing data and replace with new.

Fleabay t'urd sold it to me where sent him a PM as to the little issue, that I am defined UNHAPPY as well ANGRY and will make certain my Review speaks VOLUMES if not corrected or some form of compensation is performed.  Not heard back yet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 3:49am
Yesterday received a UPS Note that my Injectors are on the way back.  All billed out and complete.  Were not supposed to show up for at least another week!!

I have all the pan plugs(3) re o-ringed and oil in the sump, the timing gear backlash is set and the gear cover (Peanut)re-installed.  Holding coolant and getting ready for the injectors where had replacement battery cables made up yesterday as well.  Be over a week to two weeks to see the engine processor back then will begin the investigation of engine controls not electrically activating, get no alarms at all when cycle key to run when I checked the HVAC blowers and controls after reinstall and repaired instrumentation lighting.

Edited by DMiller - 01 Jul 2021 at 3:53am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 5:56pm
Injectors are installed, looking at a set of reman rocker arms right now, thought were just dirty but turned out are issues with rollers.  First sanding done on tanks, next up 600 grit wet, then buffing.

Looking more like a engine again.  Covers sitting to keep dirt out.

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 12:37pm
Sure is looking good. Will be better when you can hear it purr
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 1:10pm
Steadily getting closer.  Have to order replacement rockers tomorrow, as well need air charge cooler flex lines for a different year series truck and cooler installation insulators for my own.  Today rattle can touched the head and then R&R the Steer Gear resealed it with a new filter in the reservoir, and so far no leaks, tell all is when running.  Also dropped Air Charge Cooler and flushed it with a mild soap solutions the rinsed with clear water is currently drying out.

Last but not least will have to replace AC Condenser, too far gone.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 4:36am
Replacement rockers installed, missing bolts to lower rocker cover install, everything installed and torqued, ran the overhead.  Working on engine side harness repairs while awaiting the return of the ECM.  The fella I traded the trucks with will bring his CAT ET Program reader when this first gets lit off, will dial in the fuel injectors as to their 'Trim Codes' I have downloaded for the processor to 'Know' each unit and how to regulate each one.  The large cast housings over the rockers are the engine compression brake actuators.
I did pressure lube the turbo and completed the connection there, also pressure lubed the main engine with a gallon of oil thru the Oil Pressure Gauge connection so rifling galleries are filled.

Edited by DMiller - 13 Jul 2021 at 4:39am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 9:04am
  Getting closer to hearing it purr
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 4:10am
Got the processor reprogrammed at CAT, got it back yesterday afternoon.  Still rehabbing the harness to the engine and working on fuel tanks where will need air intake piping reconfiguration and exhaust at least past the cab corners to start the engine.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 6:37pm
Managed to get a bit further, still working fuel supply exhaust and other support structures but engine is nearly ready to light up.

Have to make repairs to the repaired air lines in the photo, need to tuck and tie away behind not under the cab floor crossmember add a heat shield to protect from Y pipe.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 4:05pm
Much cleaner currently as well set base exhaust today so can get the noise heat and fumes out from under cab for first start.

Next up is complete fuel tanks cleaning an polishing then install, complete fuel lines, add some fuel, replace fuel filters and prime system.  Have the old Chevy to take to OK then will have battery Cores for trade in for new units so can roll engine ECM Fuse pulled and validate Upper End oils, then can start it.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 6:59pm
Managed to clear out much of the solids that were in the tanks, right tank will be problematic for primary filter load ups but manageable.  The buffing is going to take seemingly forever.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:30am
While awaiting sanding discs went into air system to see why right tank will not air thru the main supply. Got down to drier needing service but found it beyond serviceable so ordered a replacement. Insert cartridge purge and check valve assemblies corroded in place housing itself unusable.

Got last of intake tubing ordered along with that.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 4:44am
Replacement drier arrived, set new batteries in tray but not connected yet.  Tomorrow is a big day, taking the Chevy Dump Truck to OKLAHOMA, time it gets to its new home.  Will be a few days until more gets done with the project.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 6:39pm
Pinned up, loaded and will be headed to OK to deliver the Tetanus Express to its new owner in the morning.  Will not be fast but will be steady.

JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 7:21pm
Tetanus Express! That's funny. I'll have to remember that. Side note; your old pickup (is it a 99?) looks to be in pretty good shape. Not much body "cancer".
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 7:36pm
Is a 99, cancer not visible but also not good, rear doors are permanent closed now as the cab sagged, rocker inner panels are almost gone, cab corners shot.

IF were to consider fixing, has 340,000 miles on it, should have both diffs rebuilt and the bed stripped to add a small flatbed to bring back to useful.   7.3 could give up at any point now so letting it die a merciful death at work.

Has been the best pickup truck I ever owned

Edited by DMiller - 20 Aug 2021 at 7:37pm
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 7:41pm
Pretty country Dave, won't find that on the western part of KS.  What's that on the other side of the road over the gooseneck?
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 9:18pm
Dave, mind is the same year and color with the 7.3 but mind only has 128000 mile on it, I love the old gal.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Pretty country Dave, won't find that on the western part of KS.  What's that on the other side of the road over the gooseneck?

Neighbors calf waterer, runs off his house well, stick and cable is for the winter heater.

Down past his pasture tree line is the Little Berger Creek, has some ten to twelve mixed wet weather and constant feed springs so runs all year.  Runoff and two full time springs on our place feed into that to the MO river.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 6:20pm
Left this morning 4am, been up since three.  Just walked back inside the house with just at 660 miles added to the old brute.  Rain from Cuba MO to the other side of Joplin, sprinkles all the way to delivery point.  Old Beast started right up, came off the trailer no issues and new owner glad to have it.

Loaded some pieces he ordered for me on his company account to save me near to half, also threw in four battery cores so I can recoup $122 for the new batteries, then threw in a rolling Unistrut constructed work table.  SLOW ride down over six hours for five+ hour run, left down there just at 1pm so made great time getting back.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 1:14pm
Engine harness repairs Done, installed down to connecting Primary Timing Sensor(Crank) and at ECM, will have to connect in a test connector at one or other for Timing Calibration once started.  Spliced in for engine coolant temp circuit that was destroyed and replaced numerous bad connectors now that have the Deutsch Plug kit.  The new mesh harness sheath leads down to the Eng Temp sensor, buried ALIVE!!

Found the alarm issue, fuse and connection at fuse block corroded, CRC Cleaner and all good.  One bad thing cropped up as got air drier replaced, once at pressure the head to body leaks on the air compressor, won't stop my starting the engine but compressor will have to be exchanged.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:13pm
Today started Early but still ended up in the Sun and HOT as Blue Blazes.  Buffed on tanks with first of three stages, then moved to second stage on R tank, I was getting too hot so gave up for the day.

Starting to show some Shine again.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 2:35pm
Wrestled with tanks on the floor long enough, set up a crossbuck and that helped, then got them far enough to reset and will finish buffing exposed faces On the Truck.

Like chasing greased muddy DEAD hogs with them off the truck.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 2:59pm
Lately every new post you make I think, oh he got that mother fired up. Your hard on us followers Dave. lol
   Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 4:12pm
Soon as tanks fully seated and lines connected have to do a slight flush on right side then will add fuel, replace fuel filers and prime it, once primed will roll the engine with the starter and validate oil pressure cranking, that it WILL crank over and that the overhead oils sufficiently.  Then JUST Maybe I will bust it off ans see what it sounds like.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 5:52pm
Very nice !!! Good idea on the tank stand
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 6:10pm
I put carboard on it and tried towels on the legs, still scratched as rolled the tanks but got them clean enough to hang them and not rolling around on the ground fighting with tank, buffer, compound block and sun!!  Crossbuck will get repurposed, most likely for firepit wood cutting, Me Myself and I tend to argue a lot as to who is NOT holding the logs right.

Edited by DMiller - 31 Aug 2021 at 6:12pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 2:19pm
  Just be careful with that rotator cuff, doctors gave me cortizone shots and by the time I had surgery it was torn loose from the bone and instead of microscopic surgery he had to cut and go in a reattach it to the bone so longer recovery time.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 12:19pm
Finished hanging tanks this morning, got what could flush out then filled to rough 1/4 tanks.  Worked on priming then priming pump got rock hard full out so has at least one check valve sticking/stuck, still cranked until saw overhead oil.

Plugged ECM in and decided why not, it does run but terribly, gonna have to kit the filter head check valves and probably change primer pump assembly.  Running bad as cannot clear air in system.

Edited by DMiller - 04 Sep 2021 at 12:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 20>
  Share Topic