Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=175355
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 6:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: KW Project
Posted By: DMiller
Subject: KW Project
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:16pm
Might as well start this.  Tomorrow headed to OK to assist in reducing the Beast to what I can utilize.  Forward Drop axle is coming off as is the Chain Rack.

First order of business as arrives HERE, is to get loaded into workshop, start unbolting hood pivots and unplug Hood harness to situate OUTSIDE.  Then engine tear down from stage is currently in to determine which is best alternate to go with it.

Some Pics:
As saw it Last

As currently situated at Buddy's shop in OK:

Fuel tanks will be resituated(Original Location) to Under Sleeper, Tool Box beneath Drivers Door and a Battery Box beneath Passenger Door as was built.  Stack will remain OFF until can be placed Outside my Shop(Not enough Door Headroom).

Replies:
Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 1:03pm
Well...that suspension is not conducive to making it a single rear axle. With your skill you could graph a single axle bag setup on there. That's assuming you don't want to play trucker on the side. Wasn't this to be an RV?

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:40pm
RV Toter. Fifth Wheel hauler.  Wish Bone can be moved forward to reduce to Single Axle Air ride, however reduces overall ride and effective weight capacity.  Is a Hendrickson Single Axle Single bag per side available to change that if need to.

As to towing a Trailer, works Tandem Or single, retains resale value Tandem.  Just a lot of moving hardware for dragging a Empty!!  HOWEVER, as get it done are Dealers with recent trades for Actual Toters, have been in contact with a few where this truck is a Worthy trade to a slightly Newer Toter Crew Cab with air ride ad air brakes but Automatic.

For the price in trade goods, I am NOT complaining if use as is for a Toter.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 7:03pm
Spec as sits, C15 550 HP Cat, Eaton Fuller 18Spd Eaton 46,000 rear differentials with cab control differential lock(Not just Power Divider) 11R 24.5 Rubber, NO Abs due to weight capacity, 14000 Steer Axle.  2005 W900L 54" factory walk in Sleeper on air ride suspension, Double Frame, 8 bag AG200 Air Ride rear suspension, Std Holland air slide fifth wheel.  240" WB

Fuel tanks were repositioned on original purchase for Drop Axle for Heavy hauling, has all the original take off parts.  May strip back to a Single fuel tank if Keep it.  Could strip back to Single Rear Differential if Keep it.  

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:47pm
i should buy the air horns!

Posted By: Mactractor
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 5:11pm
Good looking truck Dave. Am currently steering a Western Star with a C15 under the hood. Can't beat the sound of that very 'determined' combustion bark they make on the mountain climbs.

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 7:21pm
I wish you weren't half way across the country or I'd be interested in that pusher lift axle.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:00am
I'd like to say that looks like a fun project but from the size and weight of everything, I'm thinking nope.  I'll stick with CA's and U's.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:50am
with the length of that frame you don't need a trailer camper, just box in the rest of the frame and you will have a homemade motor home, the sleeping quarter are already there.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:40pm
LOL TA, Want to keep it at least usable for pulling a regular trailer if need should arise!

BIG Weekend, took load of Materials and left overs from house down, we removed pusher axle, chain rack and associated plumbing.  Loaded up a crap load of odds and ends with the bad head and its associated internals.  Will download and minimize the photos later, only recently returned and off loaded all I brought back.  Looking at 2-4 weeks to a weekend available to drag up the project.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:22am
Buddy am getting this from is keeping the drop axle and rack, I have no need of them, he has the both on CL Tulsa OK.

End result of weekend, truck is now currently on its own shoes, the L Rr has been swapped and all brakes are 'Caged' so can roll on/off a roll back trailer for when gets here.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 8:04am
Ran out of space had to delete a few!!

Old wagon is filthy but viable so far.  Even if engine block is trash are available Used engines all over for this and not bad pricing for age/miles.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm
Pulled cam from head today, more parts Not GoodShocked

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:48pm
D,
That is a project I know nothing about, interesting though. I have never driven a big truck like that either. I dont have a CDL Looks like it would be fun to try.
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:33am
Been working on around or operating heavy trucks since I was 18, drove farm trucks as young as 14.  Semi Trucks can be a handful with loads often overloaded in commercial zones.

Used really hard engines as this one get to 600,000 really easily, modern diesels can make a million without overhaul anymore this one bit the dust due to a serious overheat with oversized load.  Was running heavy equipment hauling thus the removed drop axle.

I have driven multi stick trans set ups(Not all that well) air splitter 9,10,13, 15 and 18 speed, where all are a five speed main with abilities to split several times, even driven straight gate 7 and 8 speed trans set ups(awkward), this one is a pretty common 550hp Cat, 18 speed Fuller/Eaton(five speeds each split able) in low side four speeds in High each one split able (so essentially 10&8 gears), has the heavier bushing stronger double frame rail 46,000+lb capacity rear eight bag air ride suspension so will ride well and handle anything placed on it I can muster.  46,000 Eaton air locker differentials where most heavy trucks have a lockable Power Divider(Differential between the two rear ends) this also has a air shift positive traction lock in each differential, No single wheel slip will occur in the rear.  Brakes on older semis as this are drum, 16" diameter, 7 or 8" wide blocks on shoes and uses a spring application "Maxi" Brake for positive parking security.  Old style slack adjuster brake adjustment devices have advanced to auto adjust and are inspected but require little attention generally as well are Externally mounted so easier to change, Brake Drums are Outboard on hubs so just pull tires and remove drums.  Air brakes CAN leak, just little mess and easier to fix than hard tube hydraulic brakes.  Truck weighs in at a modest 18,000# sits on 11R24.5 tires on Aluminum pilot center single lug nut Rims, the old twin lug Budd sets are about obsolete now.  
A LOT of instrumentation in the cabs, much of which is Eye Candy unless pulling serious loads.  Trans and Axle temperatures, Engine oil and coolant temps, some times fuel pressure along with oil pressure. Air pressure for brakes, indicated air on suspension for loading, speedo and tach, lots of switches for obvious lighting and accessories, can look daunting but once acclimated is pretty simple.  Do have pretty well standardized power steering, really good AC and Heaters well insulated cabs for temperature and noise controls.  Sit REALLY High so great visibility.  Rear Mirrors are Cab mounted these days so no longer swing with the doors and doors need not be fully closed to see to the rear, vibrate much less.  Engine services tend to be done like our modern cars, to a mileage indicator that takes in driving style, abuse, severity of demands.  Most large trucks change oil and filters at 15-20,000 miles
Tire average life kept aired properly is 100-125,000 miles, brakes in my use may last life of machine, air bags on suspension die from repetitive cycling as do the diaphragms in the brake chambers, aluminum cabs and sleepers may last a few decades no more than normal attention.
Is not readily discernable but the Pin on a Fifth Wheel Camper is the same dimension as a Semi Trailer for product hauling, will mate directly into the Semi Truck Fifth Wheel.  Pin Height is roughly the same for both trailers as well.

As a side note, big diesels also generally come with an Exhaust Pressure Brake System(Jakes), these work by solenoid operation where as the cylinder comes up on a compression stroke and just as the Unit Injector goes to cycle the exhaust valves are Popped Open, that is what causes the Thrumming noise from the exhaust, the engines are turned into a large compressor and use that pressure force to slow the truck saving brake life.  Switch operated on the dash, disabling switches on throttle and clutch pedals.

Can be intimidating but are just machines.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:34am
and all brakes are 'Caged' so can roll on/off a roll back trailer for when gets here.

Dave... what does that mean ?  Are you planning on sending it down the road ?  trade ?

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:41am
Air 'Maxi Chambers' have a mechanical bypass capability, is called Caging the Spring, very similar to the bolt retainer for the crawler Death Rebound Springs for R&R. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmRCPSVQrM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmRCPSVQrM

This is so when air leaks too heavily or not available can release the parking side and move the machine.

I MAY trade the truck upon 'Wife's choice' should she not wish to ride a Semi pulling a RV!!  Does not bother me and is not all that Huge to me as it is to her.  Most Semi Tractors are as short or shorter than Crew Cab Pickups used for this.  Is  bit overkill for weight capacity, but the price puts it at affordable,(TRADES and Overhaul cost).  A Reasonably new Crew Dually is still above $50,000 for one I would trust for any length of time, this truck refurbished is worth close to $50k as a trade or outright sale as well.

Dually Crew cabs are roughly 270" OA Body Length, this truck is only 4' longer overall where Pin point of Trailer is within 1.5-2 feet on chassis.  Truck itself is only 9'8" tall top of Air Horns, trailers are over 12'6" top of AC Units so actually decrease Trailer Nose Drag as see with a Pickup.  Both this or a Dually are 8' wide.

Posted By: Lars(wi)
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:45am
‘Caged Brakes’, in laymen’s terms is backing off the adjustment on the slack adjusters, far enough that the brake shoes are held off and not touching the brake drums, even when the air system has zero psi.

-------------
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:48am
Not done at Slack Adjusters, special Caging bolt is emplaced.

Posted By: Kansas99
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:02am
Had a pot on a grain trailer that I couldn't get a cage bolt in because it wouldn't line up, never seen that before.  Ended up changing the pot.

Dave, when you change out a pot do you split the pot or replace the entire pot and rod?  I was showed how to change a pot by splitting it and have done it that way since.

My Uncle did what your doing, he had a old 4 door dually duramax that he got rid of and just uses a semi to pull his rv.  Said he would never go back to a pickup because the truck just makes everything a easy pull, obviously.  I suppose if you wanted to unhook and drive around maybe a pickup would be better but in his case he has a toy hauler and him and his wife have motorcycles they ride once they're where they are staying.

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:04am
Just noticed you got lucky those fenders aren't cracked or bent up it looks like. That's unusual Thumbs Up

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:21am
DMiller, you are correct, I didn’t ‘splain myself correct.

-------------
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:21am
I would on occasion come across a chamber that either would not cage or the internals were hosed up and instead of dealing with it changed the entire pot.  Not that expensive where labor in my day was more than just swapping the hole mess.  There are Aluminum housing Maxi Chambers still out there, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE cage one of those.  They corrode internally and can explode without warning.  We would torch the retaining clamp AFTER full chamber removal and launch them into barrels to throw away.

New Maxi Chambers the diaphragm is not serviceable so the 3/4 chambers just go away when leak.  This truck will receive four New Chambers and service diaphragms.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

DMiller, you are correct, I didn’t ‘splain myself correct.

You are fine, just trying to keep it correct as these can be dangerous.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 12:56pm
Had 2 of those aluminum covers blow off a 78 Dorsey dump driving down the road. Didn't hit anyone luckily. Corroded paper thin on one side. Sounded like a tire blew! The other 2 got put in press and disassembled then replaced. That probably was not smart....but I survived.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:44pm
Dump trucks in the 1980s would have them at rear of rear axle, would corrode and erode until bulged where the guys would ask that we fix them.  Crawl under with a sledge from the front and hit them usually ONLY once and they would pop.  Not pretty MGM Maxi Cans.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:29pm
I got my CDL when I was 18 then grandfathered into the newer CDLs and last year when I renewed my license I cancelled my CDL hadn't used them 10 years

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 4:01pm
For now NOT letting my Certs go.  When comes time to renew will Drop Hazmat/Tank and Multiple trailer, most likely Passenger (Van or Regular Bus) too, get down to just a Class A with Motorcycle endorsement.   Until such time as I get too feeble to pass the physical I will continue to hold mine at that, TOO damn hard to get it back.

Posted By: TomC
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 4:48pm
Same here,I'll drop my HAZ & Tanker, but I'll hang onto my CDL

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:52pm
Oh, come on guys, haz mat and tanker is where the money is at!!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:30am
Now are scaring me Lars, have seen what is getting privilege to operate tankers and hazmat loads, most speak fluent Something other than English and poop in the open.  I had to get FBI Back ground checked for my license, how do these people even get that far!!!

Posted By: TomC
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:04am
You are correct, HAZ & Tanker is where the money is,, but,,in April this year I retired and sold my truck, only reason I'm hanging onto my CDL is for a backup plan

Posted By: farmboy520
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Oh, come on guys, haz mat and tanker is where the money is at!!

For the government agencies and the like but no one else.

-------------
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 3:13pm
Special exam each renewal and Charged for, Special Background Check and Charged For, special considerations to every move made, and Charged For!!!

Did have a Good laugh the other day as to a CDL, friend is a trooper in MSHP, Latino tried the old game on this State Trooper issuing a ticket in a accident, Trooper was reading the ticket to the Truck Driver and asked if he understood, got a "No Habla Englis" back, still had his license and asked if he could speak English, Got the No Habla back so KEPT the license, had another Trooper take him to jail for Fraudulently received License.  Prereq, MUST Understand and Speak the English Language.  Company had to come get their truck, Latino MIRACULOUSLY Learned English once arrived at the county lockup where he was FINED Again for lying to a State Trooper!!  STILL Lost his License. 

OH OH OH, And From Chitcago TOO!!!!!!

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 6:41am
If any of you have a pickup registered for RV tags beware.  IF happen to get caught utilizing the truck as a truck and not camping the net result is a fine and potentially lose of that license.  Very dear friends of ours bought a fifth wheel and a Dodge 3500 to tow it, license price was the major draw(RV $38) as to cover the 19500 lbs. total weight would have required 24BL Mo license plate at $96 per year.  He did not have to get a CDL but was warned that would be the next step as weights rating on truck may require per the DMV Rep.    He took his one ton truck to a nearby lumber yard and bought a sixteen foot trailer load of materials for a shed he is constructing.  An officer stopped him as spotted the RV plates at a Stop light, ticket is $85, has to warrant the vehicle to the DoR upon next renewal as Strictly RV as cannot use so much as a Shuttle vehicle to/from the store as when in their home town, is their ONLY vehicle.  RV plates are for Recreational Tow Use ONLY unless used while in camping considerations.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:51am
Cheapskate...$96 is a bargain....come to Illinois and see what they cost!!

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:28am
More pics needed!

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Cheapskate...$96 is a bargain....come to Illinois and see what they cost!!

No doubt! And come to MI to see what Insurance would cost!!! Insurance reform this year didn't help much!!!!!

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 1:49pm
Shop bay is pretty well ready.  Everything on Left side looking in is predominantly on wheels so mobile and moveable when truck gets here.  Scrap lumber bench on right is for arranging pieces once I get to that point.  Is just temporary.

Posted By: farmboy520
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 10:42am
So when is the KW coming to its new home?

-------------
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 12:27pm
According to current owner, a week from coming 'Saterday'!!  Was arranging a decent trailer and loaner tractor to pull it here and the trade goods back.

A little more progress this morning after voted, picked up a damaged Right side Tool Box will have to replace bottom and back stretch it 6" in length(Aluminum Sheet).  Two triangle plates at bottom are lower Step supports.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 11:15am
Sad to say, this project just came to a screeching Halt.  Biden gets the Win and it is history as unsustainable in that expense environ.  Most likely our little farm goes with it.  Been nice while had it but not getting beaten up in taxation games to pay for the Free Stuff.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 9:25pm
I would not worry about it too much Dave.. If Biden gets in, the Kammy/ AOC policies are not going anywhere... McConnell still RUNS the SENATE..  That is a definite NO VOTE.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 10:41pm
Have faith, if there’s one thing we’ve learned these nearly four years;
every time it’s thought DJT is down and out, he out foxes his rivals and they wind up with egg on their faces.
This may be Pres Trumps greatest sting operation yet.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 3:52am
Have spoken to the trade guy, we are still on for delivery in week and a half.  It may be placed in the shop and leave it sit until this fiasco works out or the events developing set to running.  Should Kamelhumper get to POTUS I will not spend any funds on it and it can sit as the promise of destroying tax deductions or subsidy for farms is on her lips as to "Controlling Food Expenses" for the poor.  Seems the Retards cannot figure out the MIDDLE MAN is still a problem of foods and materials expenses.  She and her Demotard cohorts decide to destroy the last remaining small farms we are all in the crapper.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 8:11am

Hey Dave,,,no doubt,,there are a great many of us all over the country that just cannot seem to accept the way the sitiation appears to be. I'm gonna hang with President Trump cause I know he is gonna fight this until there ain't no more can be done,,,,, and he's got an awful lot of money for attorneys.
 I'm gonna keep my hopes up for AG Barr until that either produces or fizzles out,,,,,,,

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:53am
Unless the DoJ can find and defend the finding of Fraud in the voting seems this is a moot point.  The FBI and DoJ personnel do NOT like DT so doubt there is much help there these days either.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 8:21am
I am still getting the truck, will depend on how much other work I have to do prior to starting on it to avoid being taxed to death by the Political factor will determine when it actually gets started on.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 10:16am
Keep praying for the President cause there is still a chance and enough votes to be counted to win.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 11:40am
Did See the SCOTUS has had enough, told the Ballots that came in after 11/3 HAVE to be sequestered, that could spell end for Biteme in SEVERAL states.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:50am
Were told to but don't sound like they did from beginning....so what is anyone going to do about that? One heck of dirty politics Job and likely to get away with it.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 2:37pm
   How many people went in to vote and was told they had already voted absent tee? Seem that is being said in different states that it happened in.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:46pm
Received the battery box I ordered, box itself and step is fine, the bolts on the angles to hold the lid in place were as expected, aftermarket off dimension but easily fixable.  Shop I got it from is also a Truck wrecking yard, at Strafford MO.  And just happened, the metals shop I use near Washington Mo has the formed panels for the Tool Box rebuild ready, will pick them up tomorrow.  Ordered a 'Huck' fastener tool, should be here next week to assemble the tool box.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 2:51pm
Typical Foreign made aftermarket, even as cannot get a New box from KW and usable Wreck takeoffs only last hours as the machines hit the yards.  Tradeoff as to Quality has its own repercussions.  

Started off cleaning away the Extra Sprue along the Die Formed end caps and getting ready to reposition the Lid retention bolt brackets.  The Box manufacturer made their own and are pretty well worthless as to being EVEN Close enough to Use a Factory Lid.

And the Cutaway chunks

Then I stopped and worked on the Tool Box as Tins came in for it.  Cut away the bent up parts and fitted the side panels to a New Floor, awaiting Huck Fasteners should be here Tuesday or Wednesday, Huck Gun came yesterday.

Currently sitting with 1/4" bolts holding together as alignment pins.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 7:08pm
Boys texted me today, shooting for Friday delivery/pickup SHOULD weather hold.  Lose two Gas GMs and gain the KW.  Been ready for a month already!!

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 7:28pm
Much of the premium scrap load at the shop, are five buckets of Tins and misc steel here, still have about three hundred pounds worth at barn to pickup in morning.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 3:09pm
Further progress. Tool Box is assembled with Huck Fasteners and reinforced to combat a age old problem this length of box had, flex cracks where is braced floor to backwall.

Box is true and square, the Trial fit of the lid all fastener holes lined up.

Today was off to Battery Box Remodel.  The box itself was less than $500, where new End Caps for a basic box are $300 EACH and then still have to purchase or build the Battery Tray Floor.  So I am opting to Remodel a poorly constrained product.  Began by Squaring the Left Side to the Floor, The builder ALMOST missed Both panels with his drill.

Next up Determined location for OEM Style Cover Stud Brackets as bolting holes too far inboard of edge for cover, found less than a full hole off so Pilot Drilled for New location, Welded the OE Holes Closed, as cools and gain more time will dress the welded ares down and complete drilling the New locations.  Install the Stud Brackets and test fit the Cover then disassemble, configure for battery hold downs then sand and paint of BOTH boxes.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 12:39pm
Dressed off welds this morning, installed lid retainer studs and test fit the cover, Magically all the studs lined up!!

Next in process, sanding and readying to repaint this box, cleaning and readying for paint the Tool Box.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 1:22pm
Now all you need is the truck to install them on.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:15pm
Yes sir, that is true!!  Spoke with the current owner, he is going to Press to get that up here weekend of the 9th.  The truck he has attempted to borrow seems unfortunately unavailable as is that owner(Owes Jeff a favor), so Jeff has asked his boss to allow use of a Company rig he runs daily as a machinery haul truck, to bring it up and the two GMs down.  So far his boss has not said No.

Will see, between the virus, weather, machine faults and illnesses/distractions has been impossible to get into a schedule.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 7:10pm
Well the Good Lord has set to telling me NO.  The weather this coming weekend is trashed, heavy rains forecast Friday, dropping temps and potential of Snow Sat**day, Sunday just down to bitter cold.  

So every opening to haul has blocked, every chance to get it here has failed so I am throwing in the towel.  Done..

The Lord has spoken, I am listening this time, it just figures is time to stop and grow old then die, projects are ended.  Passing Mid Sixties, not enough time left to get this here with Winter setting in, then fix it and have it viable by Summer.  Running out of days physically functional with effort and will power to stay at it.

Guess can sell much of what have accomplished and just write this escapade off.

Posted By: JohnColo
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 1:14am
Wow, are you having a downer day!  Come on, the snow will melt and the sun will come out, maybe Santa will have it in his sleigh, it will get better, we all need to have you give us a running commentary of how the project is coming!

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:12am
well them silly Canadians keep trying to leave their doors open so they can share the cold! it's sposed to be nice this week...RUN FOR IT! i gots leaky hoses to fix on the "machine" so you gots a little time left! 

Posted By: Alberta Phil
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:24am
Well, shameless, this "silly Canadian" has been enjoying well above freezing temperatures for the last couple of weeks.  The one foot of "pretty" you sent on your tune-up run has pretty well all melted and the cows are grazing out in the pastures again.  Can't blame me for your cold weather!!  Maybe your far northern state  is sending it down special delivery!!

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 1:29pm
I blame no one for the misfortune, is just a indirect way of someone much larger than any of us telling me NO, and I am accepting such.

This is where the chalk mark got placed as stop point.

Beginning to suspect this is as close as the KW will ever get to here.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:02pm
Damn nice work, are you sure you want it to go to waste?  If you ever get board and want to rebuild a truck again, I know where there's a 68 KW C/O that could use a restoring, probably get free room and board for the work. Wink

-------------
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:21pm
new steps for the tractor?

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:15am
LOL
Seems loads of friends to keep me from being bored!!
Spoke to the guy again last night
He is just as distraught on this and looking for any way to get it up here now. He said we made a deal on this and he is sticking to what he said would do.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 6:20am
Truck IS coming the 20th, kid that owns it(Early 40s) has a truck and trailer aligned where cn manage the haul back trucks.  Made certain the GMC LP started well the other day, and fought the Chevy once again where the Holley said ENOUGH.  So off come the Governed garbage pile and on went a Edelbrock AFB knockoff.  Starts like a New machine.  New owner has a Cab and equipment for this, will rewire lighting when that gets changed and make this road legal.

Believe it or Not, cooling system is in top shape, new radiator last year, 366 is as strong as I have found one, brakes are like new, just the cab is crap and bed about to rust away even as scissor lift works great.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:01am
Dmiller,
Hang in there! Came to check on you as the big truck thing is way out of my comfort zone of projects. But you have the skills and knowledge. Yes we are not getting any younger. You have commented many times in my shop thread. Some days I feel similar as to being almost 70 what the heck am I thinking! I think a lot of us need projects to do and to keep us active, even as health and age start to limit us too. 
I personally am wishing you the best on you project with the KW. To me it looks like a big fun expensive project. But remember I am not a good judge of these units. So it sounds like your going to get a Christmas present! I believe the Lord works in many ways. 
BTW that new step/ box looks good to me!
Couple questions too.
-  How tall is the yellow dump at the clearance lights?
- And how do you like the steel liner panels on the walls?
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:27am
As much welding and grinding as I KNEW would be doing the Steel interior is a BLESSING!!  Not a heat problem either as far as cold Winter or Hot Summer.  Building is 2x6 Stick Build and is batt insulated to the ceiling, blow in above the ceilings.

I am thinking the old Chevy is around 7'10" top of cab, be a struggle to get into a 8' door.  Where not certain would chance even trying.  My GMC 7000 is just at 8' same year just not as tired.  KW will be a Challenge to get inside as is just under 10' with air bags deflated, being as will be backed in cab and sleeper will be inside before steer axle rises onto floor as my Shop Doors are 10'.  Same with coming out as has a Suspension Dump Valve for the rear bags.

This is looking at the GMC, the little shed has 80" door but also has around a four inch rise to the front of the GMC as sits

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 1:23pm
Four days out now. Truck is aligned, Expenses are paid up, have the shop as ready as I figure can make it, will get the pig into the poke come Sunday and then fun begins.  Hood comes away, store to the side, engine comes down for inframe potential inspection.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:26pm
I'm really happy you decided to move forward with the project, was getting depressed that we wouldn't be able to watch your project move forward.

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:49pm
  Yes please keep us up todate on the progress

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 2:49pm
Just off horn with KW owner, truck swap again so will only be able to take One of the GMs home with him.  Was getting those eerie vibes of Don't Do It with the other guys rig, as there was something playing in background he just could not put a finger on.  I have pinned up the Goose, may not be the greatest but tires and brakes are good, lighting functional and floor good where can load the smaller one on it and follow him home if he wants me to.  May do it Just Cause.  Would be a Ten hour run full turn.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 3:23pm
Reminds me of the "Hot Rod Lincoln " song "Tires good, brakes are fair" ! Something about doing it yourself that is a good thing! Good luck on your trip for the KW! We will need some pictures too!
 Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 11:16am
The other guy sent me this last night, decided on NOT following back and Chevy will sit for awhile, have a Deere Planter he wants and maybe some other goods he is trying to acquire up here.

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:05pm
Has arrived, comedy of errors getting it OFF trailer.  Had telehandler to load it, could lift and reposition it, my 180 was doing all it had to MOVE it!!

Fills the shop pretty well Full.

Posted By: Red Bank
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:38pm
Glad you got it home. Looks like you will need to remove the hood before you can tear into the engine? That truck really swallowed up that bay.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 1:26am
Looks like you got the worst of the job done, now for a bit or restoration work!

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Red Bank Red Bank wrote:

Glad you got it home. Looks like you will need to remove the hood before you can tear into the engine? That truck really swallowed up that bay.

It just fit, knew that starting in!!  Yes the hood will come off so have good access and still warm inside.

Today will be light work, get cab emptied of component parts from the original failure, then clean much of where I will be working around.  Have the 180 to return to the barn, have to move my Bush Hog and a few odds and ends in the barn, get the arrangement where I can keep the tractor and the old Chevy dumper as much out of weather as possible for now.  New owner of the GMC will try to make a run up here during late winter thaw, pick up the Chevy and the old Planter.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 9:57am
Wow! Nice work getting it off and not breaking something! Slightly overwhelming project for me. Keep us up to date. Congrats!
What is your project scope for this truck? What are the main issues? And how do you plan to use it? 
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 1:06pm
Engine work is priority, get it essentially in framed with a replacement head.  Upgrades to Single Turbo, eliminate a great deal of head ache material.  Tidy up that which has been ignored for quite some time and then work suspension, air system, brakes, final electrical.  Take it to a shop, have ALL fluids in gear train changed then chase the dried out seals as PS.

Can end up one of two directions, running functional, all together and pass state inspect, take to dealer and trade or check value where if low keep and use for myself.  It is overkill in so many respects but doable for light duty reserve it back for more heavy work.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 3:19pm
DMiller,
 Sounds like a good plan! Great looking truck! What is the year?
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 5:45pm
05 440,000 miles

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 7:44pm
Humm, Like brand new!:)
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:31pm
Yes it will be like after Dmiller is done with it. Looks like a big project

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 6:10am
Back to it with a Vengeance

Drained engine oil and fuel tanks, removed the add on battery box, pulled pan and got this far.  The piston/rods are out, will need to inspect the mains and then pull sleeves to inspect the block.  List keeps growing as to what needs done as I go.  Two rod bearings were rough, but journals appear good.  

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:09am
Man D you are into it! Take a break! You going to hurt yourself!Smile Looks like a even bigger project and a lot of it on your back! Is it easier to do a in-frame rebuild than pulling the engine? Looks expensive too! You have your Christmas gift. Enjoy! Thanks for the updates on the big rig!
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 3:19pm
Cousin texted me this morning, my visit to CdA was not in vain, they were so glad I had come out.  Uncle passed away at roughly midnight our time, quietly in his sleep, he will be missed but has left the trials and pain.

I got hard after the machine this morning, after the wife tried to destroy her four year old Explorer, blind corner going to work, 8" dia tree fell across road, she ran over it, both front struts, right lower control arm, three bent wheels and three damaged tires so far.  Is at the local body shop/tow service.

Dropped the three mains I wanted to inspect, Front(Receives side load from Belts), Rear(Down pressure from Flywheel/clutch) and Thrust.  ALL looked good for age so confident of bottom end, still have to pull sleeves.

Last photo Rear main and #6 Rod journals, 1&6 should readily polish up.  Hex on main cap bolt is 1 5/16".

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:33pm
Never a dull moment in Hermon, MO.  Cars can be fixed, wives not so easily.  Unless,of course you want... er never mind.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:06pm
Dave,
 Our Condolences to you and your family. Good you went to see him! 
Truck project will for sure keep you busy! 
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:38pm
BXS or NXS ? Gotta luv them 4 bolt rods!  There is a lot of swinging mass @ 2100rpm!

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 6:34am
BXS
Going to build as a 6NZ
Drop compression, invest in single turbo conversion and either reflash or replace processor.
While under the hood clearing rats nests noticed front engine mounts had sagged and split, new replacements ordered along with APTIV(Delphi) connector repair kit. Have a number with broken latches and a few been cut out and wire terminal replaced.
Will be at this most of winter

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 7:51am
Thanks to all for the condolences, he is in a much better place now as the pain is gone and he can rest, he and My Dad can enjoy each other's company for eternity.  Long life, quite the family and quite the accomplishments given the adversities he faced over the years.

These are APTIV/Delphi connectors

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 10:06am
Prayers for your family on the loss of Uncle, hope your wife wasn't shock up to much from her accident. You sure have your time planned and looks like your enjoying every minute of it.  Merry Christmas to everyone

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 12:47pm
Dave you shouldn't have trouble getting parts shipped to you now that the Christmas maddeness is over.

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 1:22pm
Small stuff already arriving, some pieces set to arrive Monday.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 4:26pm
Current Status, Both fuel tanks off, rear most mounts back to where will end up, one front mount hanging the other awaiting spacers that will have to be made.  Disconnected air tanks and shift back to the fuel tank mount, removed the unnecessary added in tubing and snipped poorly executed battery cable additions.

Need to procure the Battery/Tool boxes rear mounts and get the tank hanger spacers then can await the sleeve puller.

Also need to stop by Fastenal and get more 5/8 x 2 1/2 and 3" bolts washers and lock nuts.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 6:22pm
Dave,
 Looks like a lot of my projects! Something has to get dirty or demoed before it can start to come back to life! Thanks for the updates!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net