This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kitty Hawk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kitty Hawk
    Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:11am
Not much beyond basic metals and wire once leaves Navy hands, usable anything for other ships is generally stripped even parts off tooling, fixtures, furnishings or engines or generators all those will be gone.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:15pm
the cost now to sink a ship is outrageous - all lead paint needs to be abated, all traces of oil and other such must be cleaned , asbestos abatement, removal of other things figured to be a hazard . It seems a environmental impact statement and the do gooders   look at it as polluting the oceans . 
 So for 1 cent the government passes all the problems to someone else . 
much of the steel ends up in Mexico as the closest point for shipping . 
Figuring any and all equipment left must also be disposed of under Navy watchful eyes of what is still classified , or what equipment has already been removed by the Navy to use of other ships also . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:28pm
Quote He said they had an old carrier docked that they used for a shelter.

I always wondered why they don't use old cruise ships as shelters for the homeless .
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:19pm
A salute to all who served on her!Thumbs Up

A little more:

And for all those who didn't make it home:

Edited by DiyDave - 19 Jan 2022 at 6:29pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:57pm
I used to work with a guy that moved off to California for a while. He fell on hard times and was near homeless. He said they had an old carrier docked that they used for a shelter. He went there got a shower, food and a place to sleep. People would show up early mornings looking to hire workers.
He went to work the first morning and got hired permanent.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

Since the DOD sold it for a penny, I think it was FOB, and the buyer pays the postage.  I can only imagine how many tons of asbestos is in that ship.  Probably enough copper in it to make it a profitable job.

I was guessing it's going to cost many millions to move and dismantle that thing.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:05pm
Since the DOD sold it for a penny, I think it was FOB, and the buyer pays the postage.  I can only imagine how many tons of asbestos is in that ship.  Probably enough copper in it to make it a profitable job.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:18am
A lot of fish could hide inside if it was just sunk as habitat. Wink Some will think this is more useful than others. Confused I guess it depends on if tax payers are fueling it or the scrap company.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:04am
Find a use for it???  A use, for a 280x1000 foot aircraft carrier?(guess you could stack a lot of containers on the flight deck)  And.....do we want somebody to find a use for it?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:47am
humour me guys...
just how much FUEL is that trip going to burn up ?
can't believe someone ON the WEST coast couldn't find a use for it ?
Would have been nice to drop off in Hawaii ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:37am
Another one bites the dust !
Went through the part of the Constellation CVA 64 meeting the breakers a couple years back . Served on that ship from 62 to 64 as ships company V4 Div - Av Fuels flight deck, Rep 7 .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:31am
The US Navy warship USS Kitty Hawk, the last commissioned conventional-powered aircraft carrier, embarked on its final voyage on Saturday, leaving Naval Base Kitsap in Bremerton, Washington, to be turned into scrap metal by a shipbreaking company in Brownsville, Texas, the Navy said.

The Navy decommissioned the first-in-class ship in 2009 after 48 years of service, putting the ship in mothballs for over a decade before selling the carrier and the USS John F. Kennedy to International Shipbreaking Limited for just one cent each in October, Insider previously reported.

Because the Kitty Hawk is much too large, at over 280 feet wide and more than 1,000 feet long, to traverse the Panama Canal, the "Battle Cat" will make its final journey to Texas via the Strait of Magellan, a natural passage between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, The Kitsap Sun reported.

The journey around South America could take it across roughly 16,000 miles and over 130 days to complete, The War Zone reported.

Launched in 1960 and commissioned the following year, the Kitty Hawk carried out missions around the world and participated in combat operations in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq. The ship later served as the only forward-deployed carrier for 10 years.

Edited by steve(ill) - 19 Jan 2022 at 9:33am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic