This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jacking up a Model B front end

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jacking up a Model B front end
    Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 2:15pm
I have to pull a front wheel on my 1939 B. Where do I place the Jack and blocking?
Sponsored Links

Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 3:09pm
Which side- left or right?
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 4:02pm

Have you got a wife or girlfriend you could ask ?

Gary
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:03pm
Thanks for the help Gary.
Right side.

Do l block up under the wishbone, or Jack it from the tie Rod area?
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:16pm
I usually just place the jack in the center,  it lifts both front wheels, but is not a concern.. in your case the left side will be heavier when right tire is removed and might tilt to that side...Be sure to block or use jack stand to prevent falling.  Be safe, Tim
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:12am
Thanks Tim!
I appreciate the REAL help!

I plan on cribbing high enough to make the floor jack reach.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:16pm
Jack where convenient, the tractor is built tough enough, to take it anywhere...

Just be sure to put it in gear, and chock it, both ways, and ude a jack stand, when you are done jacking...Wink
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 7:32pm
I somtimes use my engine hoist on the B and lift the whole front of the tractor, but we also have an extra cross bar bolted across the wishbone just above the hubs that makes a good jacking point also. HTH's
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:17am
Thanks, I may have to buy a taller jack stand. I could lift it in the garage, but daughter has a new car in that bay, and you can imagine what dissent moving her new car for an old tractor would cause....
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:28am
All that the shop manual I have on line says is jack the front up and support it securely when working on front wheels. I'd say jack on the frame not the oil pan. Support it with blocks or jack stands. http://www.geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf
The military B manual might be more specific. I haven't looked. http://www.geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/BMilitary.pdf

Gerald J.
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 1:53pm
Thanks!
I haven't doped it out but will have to find a place to Jack AND a place to set the jack stands. Two places.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 4:44pm

Have you got somebody lined up to take the wheel off for you when you do eventually get it jacked up ?

Gary
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:20pm
Gary, thank you for the opportunity for me to boost your ego. Feel better now?
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:32pm
1939 dodge, my '39B doesn't have lug nuts as the hubs are riveted, so the center cap and nut that holds the bearing must be removed to get tire and wheel off.  Just mentioning as a thought..  Tim
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 6:40am
Same here. As a matter of fact, I just made a tool to buck a replacement rivet, one is missing.
Maybe next weekend. Thanks!
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 9:12am
The bearings are right in there also. Will likely come out when you pull the wheel. Good time to check them and re-pack. discovered a bad one when I changed tires
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic