This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ISO 12v starter for AC WD45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:14pm
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:09am
That is a nice WD45!
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
BrianJones View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 9:28am
Thank you sir! It's my first tractor. I've always liked older tractors much more than the newer ones.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:17pm
Do you have one of these starters for sale? Preferably rebuilt as a 12v?

Delco Remy 1107951 3F24
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

I can rebuild it to 12V if interested. Drop us a line, or give us a call...
bb-customcircuits.com

Do you have one of these in stock, for sale?
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 2:22pm
Mighty fine. Thumbs Up
Power steering?Can't tell from the pic.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 4:14pm
One heck of a custom bucket on a very nice WD45! Good job!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 4:15pm
Sorry Brian. I'm not on here every day like I used to be. I don't have anything on the shelf for exchange. I usually just rebuild the customer's unit. With new field coils, rewound arm, all new internal parts and a new HD relay assy, a converted Starter like yours runs around $350.+ the shipping.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 4:32pm
It does have have power steering but it's still not the easiest with a load of dirt in the bucket

Steve, what kind of turn around do you have if I expedite mine to you?

I have the option of a new 6 volt for $250.   I'm just curious as to how long that would last me.   I only use this tractor for property maintenance on a wooded 8acre plot.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 5:05pm
Why not just CLEAN and put new brushes in?  Take yours to a starter rebuild shop and have them do it if you don't think you can?  They are pretty simple, brushes and new springs.  Will last another 70 years.

While you're in there, look through the mounting hole and look at the ring gear.  Hope yours looks good.

Edited by Ted J - 07 Oct 2018 at 5:06pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 8:55am
It usually takes about 2-2 1/2 weeks for me to turn one around. I have to send the armature out for rewinding, and that's what takes most of the time. Because of EPA laws here in Jersey, we can't do armatures anymore in state. Been like that for quite a few years. In the meantime I tank, glassbead and change over all the components in the chassis and when the arm comes back, I finish it up and run it on the 881 machine to make sure everything is working correctly and to my specs before I cut it loose. Ted makes it sound pretty easy, but 10 outta' 10 Starters or Generators that come in my shop have bad arms in them. That's the heart of the unit that produces the power and torque. Brushes, bushings, bearings & springs don't always put the unit in tip top shape... Sorry Ted, didn't mean to burst yer' bubble.  LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 6:32am
Not a problem Steve!!  I was working on old cars and tractors when I was about 8 years old, so I see them as easy.  I agree, the armature is usually the worst thing as the brushes holders fall apart and the commutator gets worn down.  The stator usually isn't a problem, but I've seen em ground into because of the bushings being GONE completely, not just worn down.
By all means Brian, if you're not sure enough of yourself, send it to Steve to get it all done up like new!  He's the guru on here for doing these!!

That is one GREAT looking WD45!!  STRAIGHT tin ALL around (ecept for a crack at the top of the right fender, a good tool box and battery box.
That bucket looks like it's NEW!!  Been sitting in a barn and not being used all it's life??!!
1 - What's at the top of the left loader frame?  Looks like a light? 
2 - What's with the muffler?
3 - What's on the throttle and hydraulic levers?  Looks like white something?
You've got a gem there, for your first tractor!!  BUT,,,,,it won't be your last ALLIS.  It's a sickness and you'll soon have more!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 7:54am
1- temp gauge
2- That's how it was when I bought it. Previous owner tried to paint it.
3- rubber grips on the levers.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:29pm
Brian- another way to do it... is to find a functional starter off a donor tractor, and either send it to Steve, or swap it for yours, and send yours to steve, so your machine won't be down (for want of a starter) while the other is getting rehabilitated.

For what it's worth... I'll second the note that the greatest issue with 12v conversion isn't the voltage upon electrics, but rather, the starter's rapid response to engagement... it can be hard on the mechanicals.

I believe (Steve, correct me if I'm wrong) that these are SERIES wound starters.  If that's the case, then as the starter's armature speed increases, the inductive reactance of the (commutated) armature naturally limits current flow through all the windings (and brushes), so it's not likely you'll ever 'burn out' the 6v windings on a 12v source... in order to do so, the engine cranking load would have to drag SO BAD... that there'd be something much worse to worry about.

Now, as an example of the reverse, I have a Hercules JXLD 338ci inline six on my large generator... it was originally integrated into the generator control as a 24v system, which means the starting motor was intended for 24v.  When I stripped it of it's (excess) control system, I also converted it to 12v starting.  I pulled out the starter, and took it to my local rebuilding shop, where Bill looked up all the parts, and we found (as he told me we would) that the MOTOR windings for 12 and 24v operation are identical... the only difference is the starter solenoid winding... the 12v solenoid used larger wire, and fewer turns, for more pull-in force on the solenoid.  My generator cranks just as fast on 12v, as it did on 24.

My WD... and my WC, and my B... all have been running 12v battery on OEM starters with no problems, just sprightly starts in the coldest conditions.  I suspect that one of these days I'll see a broken starter bendix spring, but I'll replace it when it does.Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:34pm
Y'all are definitely a wealth of knowledge on subjects that I know very little about. Thank you all for the information and advice.   I did find a local repair shop and am currently getting a quote through them, they are just waiting to see if they can get the necessary parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic