This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

in-frame overhaul for D grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: in-frame overhaul for D grader
    Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 2:41pm
Hi gang,

My new D burns a bit of oil when running and want to put new rings in it. I have only rebuilt engines that have been completely removed and rebored. Nothing with sleeves. From a process/effort perspective this seems much more palatable and of course cheaper.

I see kits with new pistons & sleeves etc and was wondering what the effort is to remove sleeves? I am still looking to procure the service manual but dropping the oil pan seems pretty reasonable. How the heck does one get the sleeves out? I could turn a hardwood drift to drive them out if needed too.

Krusty,
Sponsored Links

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 7:10pm
Is it a 226 gas engine? If it is the sleeves are wet type with an O ring at the bottom. they come out fairly easily. After the first couple inches they are loose. One thing to look at is the front and rear crank seals, if they are leaking I would pull the engine and do the rest like cam bushings- main bearings - crank seals. To me pulling the engine and working on it is easier than doing it in the macine.
krusty View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:38pm
Ya it is a 226. I am torn about spending the time to do it properly or just doing a quick and dirty for now to stop the oil burning. Seems I may have a lead on a 226 replacement engine I could drop in for now and then rebuild this one properly. That would be my ideal.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:26pm
dont waste your time putting rings in it..   the kits are readily available and your going to be into it nearly as far as a complete rebuild anyway.  a hard block of wood should get the sleeves out.. if not a metal rod can be used as your not reusing the sleeves anyway... just be carefuld of the crankshaft and the under side of the block where the sleeves come through
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:55am
I agree with the consensus that if you are going to change rings you are better off to do a total rebuild. When I got my D grader it was running poorly (big understatement). I did pull the head off to take a look and determined it should have new sleeves. I decided to close it up and run it until I had enough money to do a total rebuild. I did have the head worked on as it had a couple of burnt exhaust valves, the rocker shaft was broken and one rocker shaft support had been broken and brazed together. I still haven't rebuilt the engine and it still smokes, goes through oil and fouls #4 plug now and then but it still has lots of power. I hope that I can do the rebuild within the next year.
Jack of all trades, master of none
ron mi View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron mi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 1:06pm
Hi Don,  Cut about one quater of an inch of windsheild wiper washer hose and slip it over the spark plug metal cap, make sure the wire does not touch the spark plug. You want the spark to jump from wire to plug. About a sixteenth. Works wonders in keeping plugs from fowling out.  Ron Finney
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:13am
Ron, I had discovered this concept years ago when I had a twin cylinder snowmobile and one cylinder would often foul when I first started it up. I would pull the plug wire off and hold it a small distance off the plug until it warmed up and it began to fire normally and then I would put the wire back on the plug. I have often done this with my grader in the past to clear up the fouled plug but I only did it intermittently and then put the wire back on the plug. I have done two things that have helped. I put in shorter plugs which seems to keep them from fouling as badly and I installed electronic ignition which seems to have a hotter spark.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 7:33am
Going to the next hotter plug in series for the manufacturer you are using also helps to keep them from fouling as fast.
krusty View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 3:21pm
Looks like I may have found a donor engine that I can swap in that is a reasonable price. Then I can take my time and do a proper rebuild....thx for the comments!
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:20am
Several summers ago I  removed the  engine from an AC615 industrial, again. The previous owner had put a sleeve kit in the engine, ground the valves, but did nothing with the crank or its seals. When I finished restoring the tractor, the front and rear main leaked. I removed the engine and replaced the front and rear crank seals. Now it works as it should. Every time I assume that something will be OK, it is not. Listening to the little voice regarding what should be done to a machine always works.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic