This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ignition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ignition
    Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 5:45pm
is there a good aftermarket ignition system that can be ran on a 226 engine? like a MSD set up, i would like to try it and if anyone has done this can you help me out on what i should all run? 

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 6:57pm
Check the class rules, some places do not allow electronic setups
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 7:04pm
If you have new spark plugs that are gapped properly and fresh points ( or electronic pointless set-up) you'll see no HP improvement in an AC Power Crater engine with any other ignition system at under 3,000 rpm. It's hard to beat a spark plug located in the center of the combustion chamber.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 5:08pm

With the capacitive discharge ignitions like msd .I have started engines just by turning on the ignition and never turning the engine over with the starter. ofcoarse it was oxygenated fuel and the cylinder was aligned to fire on compression . Sometimes all the stars align like that.  So i tend to think they have some hotter better fire. jmho

Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 5:24pm
the advantage in a msd ign in the "Multi Spark Discharge" meaning it fires a little before through a little after the typical one shot fireing point. that mostly comes into plat at higher rpm but the do fire hot with a hot coil and create a more complete burn through all rpm ranges. but i doubt that youd notice much difference over a properly working factory system with a good coil unless you are dealing with high compression
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 5:57pm
If you really want to spend time and money on your engine put a ground cam in it and degree it in correctly. If you just want to spend time with your engine degree your stock cam in correctly to about 104* ATDC intake centerline.

You'll notice the advantage from the above. You won't notice any advantage weather you have a good set of points or an electronic with an MSD. Nothing beats a good mag though.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 6:02pm
all good point of views, those are the answers i was looking for! I have noticed hot spark with a hotter coil but with the hotter coil i have burned up point sets!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 6:39pm
leave the coil loose the points....pertronics it the only way to go with a hot coil
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

leave the coil loose the points....pertronics it the only way to go with a hot coil
if your gonna do that spend the money on a hei out of a chevette or pontiac 1000. A stock cam degreed to 104 is better than a stock cam thats not.it comes from the compression increase you get . Before degree wheels old timers would advance the cam untill they reached the highest cylinder presssure reading on a compression tester. Compression is the ace in the hole. Back to ignition one can create issues trying to increase the spark joules at the plug with the stock delco allis distributor cap.

Edited by mlpankey - 27 Oct 2012 at 8:39pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 10:20am

I know of some running nothing more than a petronix electronic ignition and a good coil running RPM's over 5000 with no problems.   

Take WI's advice and change the cam timeing or get a ground cam.  The most important thing for engine performance is the closing point of the intake valve.  By altering the cam timeing of  your stock cam you are changeing the point of closure to allow maximum cylinder filling.  Low RPM engines need to be closed sooner than higher RPM engines.  As the intake valve starts to close the pressure begins to rise in the intake port, the mass of air and fuel rushing into the cylinder slows down and pressure rises.  When the piston comes around BDC or bottom dead center and starts to rise on compression, pressure begins to build in the cylinder. Pressure in the intake must rise high enough to overcome the cylinder pressure in order to continue to fill the cylinder.  When you change your cam timeing the position of the piston to intake valve cycle change helping to ram more air/fuel into the cylinder. 

Cranking compression pressure has little to do with how the engine will respond to these modifications when running.  It will indicate changes but the highest compression will come after the cam is to far retarded.  Read some old threads on cam timeing and have a good laugh at the armchair expert. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 8:35pm
Rod your wrong as usual advancing the cam raises cylinder pressure not retarding it as you stated. When you advance the cam you close the intake valve sooner. You cant build compression untill valves are closed. Your so good for a laugh. When your in your chair look up effective stroke and how closing the intake valve sooner makez for a longer effective stroke.

Edited by mlpankey - 29 Oct 2012 at 8:40pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 9:00pm
You're ignorance is forgiven, when you get some experience you will understand what I posted. As in Larry's sig line "I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you". So true here.

We all know that advanceing the cam raises cylinder pressure. But peak pressure will come when the cam is to far retarded. Try it sometime and see where peak pressure is and how it runs at that point.   Sounds like a good homework assignment for pank. He still hasn't done the last ones I gave him.

I'm sorry, I forgot. Pank has no clue how to degree a cam, or where to set it at or how it works. Past threads have shown that. I wouldn't take any camshaft advece from pank, he still thinks that no matter where you place an 8 degree chevy bushing the cam timeing will change 8 degrees no matter what. No consideration to basic geometry. Pank realized his invalid attempts at understanding camshafts upon unable to move the pulling sled so he bought one from someone who had it figured out.

Edited by Rod B - 30 Oct 2012 at 7:16am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

<FONT style=": #000000">.   

Low RPM engines need to be closed sooner than higher RPM engines

IV]

......sooner is the same thing as advanced.... just sayin. Sooner, earlier and advanced share a common meaning in the english language.

But on the ignition subject at hand, I built a GM HEI setup probably 15 years ago for my pulling tractor. It's fine but a friend of mine from across the river in MN turns his engine pretty hard and I'm sure it's got a Petronix a good coil and nothing more. A few friends run 6 cyl's with the same setup that run pretty fast. You've got to rember that with a 4 cyl there's a lot of room between terminals on the cap and a lot of dwell time for the coil.

I have seen a difference in caps, rotors and points from cheap alumnium terminals to good brass terminals. We had a tractor on the dyno and for kicks changed things around and seen some gain when switched to Napa Echlin which had brass terminals but the last one I got there had junk alumnium. I'll have to try and find a few good ones and put away for future tuneups.

Edited by wi50 - 29 Oct 2012 at 9:28pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 7:22am
rod wrote the highest  compresion reading will come after cams to far retarded . and that is wrong read again .  the highest compression reading will come when cam is advanced to correct degree If you add another degree or two compression will start to fall off but the cam is still being moved in the advanced direction . Retarding a cam always reduces cylinder pressure . ford did it alot on detonation prone engines.  here is rods statement cut and pasted so you can see his error."It will indicate changes but the highest compression will come after the cam is to far retarded"   . engines that run under 6000 rpms and need to lug see benefits from advancing and checking for the highest cylinder pressure reading at starter cranking speeds . it really increases the torque and power due to the effects on "effective stroke".

Edited by mlpankey - 30 Oct 2012 at 7:33am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 7:39am
Why don't you take some time and play with the allis and tell us at what point peak pressure happens. You'll find that the cam will be to far retarded at 107 degrees. Trust me, you'll want it more advanced. It's because of the inline 4 cyl design with siamesed intake port. 3 valves in the paired cylinders have activity to close to each other. This isn't about a ford or 6000 rpm.   When the engine is running up to speed things happen that don't show at cranking speed.

Edited by Rod B - 30 Oct 2012 at 7:47am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Why don't you take some time and play with the allis and tell us at what point peak pressure happens. You'll find that the cam will be to far retarded at 107 degrees. Trust me, you'll want it more advanced. It's because of the inline 4 cyl design with siamesed intake port. 3 valves in the paired cylinders have activity to close to each other. This isn't about a ford or 6000 rpm.   When the engine is running up to speed things happen that don't show at cranking speed.

The more you advance a cam the higher the cylinder pressure will go unrtill it falls off  from being  advanced to far . Now depending on how much duration the cam has and how small the engine is in cubic inches will depend on at what degree the cam will be advanced to when  the compression reading will be the highest.   There is no such thing as to big a cam due to duration. There is such a thing as to small cubic inches and to low of static compresion ratio  for big duration camshaft and when that happens you will see helpful gains in advancing a camshaft to large amounts of degree change to the advanced postition as long as you are looking for the highest cylinder pressure reading. A cam thats correct shouldnt need advanced at all unless your attempting to make a flatter torque to power curve. If you use the highest cylinder pressure method and you find the highest cylinder pressure at cranking speed is with the cam 15 degrees advanced then you know you have the wrong cam in your engine build.  Using the longest effective stroke will show up at cranking speeds and will stil be a benefit when the engine is at running speeds below 6000 rpms. if your wanting to run 7000 rpms or higher do not use this method for your engine will like the cam straight up for the most part some may even like it retarded a few degrees.

Edited by mlpankey - 30 Oct 2012 at 8:20am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 8:26am
as for the siameezed or paired valves this is where ron iskyderians splatter pattern cam makes its biggest impact in performance.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 8:29am
Go read my original post in which I say "by altering the timeing of your stock cam".

Sure a custom ground has different charistics. That's not up for debate. You can stop your teenage girl cat and mouse games by simply learning to read.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 8:37am
I do read and simply posted your inaccuracy . quote rod ,"It will indicate changes but the highest compression will come after the cam is to far retarded"   admitt this statement is wrong and my engine intellegence caught your mistake and move on.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

I do read and simply posted your inaccuracy . quote rod ,"It will indicate changes but the highest compression will come after the cam is to far retarded"   admitt this statement is wrong and my engine intellegence caught your mistake and move on.

I posted where peak pressure is and 107 is retarded further than 104. You have no intellegance if you can't figure that out.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 10:19am
smaller the number the more advanced . 107 is not retarded its advanced to 107. peak pressure may be at 107 ,104 ,102. or 92 degrees depending on the size of motor and the duration of the cam you simply just dont pull a number from the magicians hat you research by doing it on each and every build. the cam is not retarded untill the degree number increases larger than it is at straight up.

Edited by mlpankey - 30 Oct 2012 at 10:20am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 11:29am
We are not dealing with custom cam. Peak pressure is at 107 which is retarded compared to 104. So you can play around all you want but this still means the same thing as in my original post.

Are your failed attempts at building a competitive pulling engine a result of your fake engine intelligence or yout real engine ignorance?
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 12:43pm
Wow gentlemen, all i asked for is ignition advise! Not a battle about cams and compression! (like i have seen in alot of other post) Im not trying to build a high dollar puller, just a good 60-70 horse machine!
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 12:44pm
   Getting back on track with your ignition question.   I have been very satisfied with pertronix systems and also use their stealthy stock looking black coil.  There are two more things to do that are cheap upgrades for your ignition. First is to index your plugs to each cylinder. , when that is done trim the outer electrode on your plugs to  a sharp square  that just ends  at the outer edge of the center electrode, This opens up the spark to face the piston top, and you can open the gap then to as much as 45 thou.  This is  a worthwhile mod......   for not a lot of money.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 4:49pm
not taking sides but 107 degrees btdc is more advanced than 104 degrees btdc
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 7:52pm
On the ignition when you find the brown residue inside the black distributor cap then you will need to drill holes between the post to let the plasma ions out. If your worried about moisture then you will need to go to the hei cap with wider posts.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

not taking sides but 107 degrees btdc is more advanced than 104 degrees btdc

That is correct, but when dealing with intake centerline timeing is measured ATDC, in which lesser numbers are advanced.

You boys don't need to go drilling every distributer cap you have full of holes. They worked fine for the last 60 years with little regular maintenance and will work for many more.

Index the plugs so the ground strap isn't hindering spark exposure in the plug pocket of the head, gap your plugs and if available I chose NGK. Had the best luck with them, not that it makes any difference. The biggest performance upgrade some people can do is to leave things alone and not take advice from bad sources.

Edited by Rod B - 31 Oct 2012 at 6:45am
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 8:24am
I love how a simple question becomes a pissing contest lol
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 1:15pm
Reminds me of our presidential election!! SUCKS . Poor mufflerboltz just trying to take his pulling career to the next level turns into a suicide attempt?? I love my Allis tractors but cannot stand fighting .
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 3:59pm
every distributor cap wouldnt have the brown residue from plasma in it just the ones  sending several joules to the plug and you dont need that unless your running high compression ratios.

Edited by mlpankey - 31 Oct 2012 at 4:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic