This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

if everyone quit spraying where would the price o

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:19am
Takes a lot of chickens on a 20 acre plot to kill the bugs and eat the weeds, let alone the care and protection of them. Maybe it's something for Thendrix to look into? Wink

Edited by chaskaduo - 31 Mar 2019 at 11:19am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Sponsored Links

cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:48am

[/QUOTE] I always wonder where this 2 billion bushels is. Every year "they" (USDA) tells us we have huge carryover. If we have say a 1 or 2 billion bushel carryover per year for the last 10 years-then shouldn't we have 10 to 20 billion bushels stored somewhere? I wonder where that is or am I looking at this all wrong?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are looking at it wrong.
Start the year with 2 billion bu carryover, grow 10 billion bu, use 10.5 billion bu and you have a carryover of 1.5 billion bu from that year, to the next year.
Here is another way of looking at it. If you have a 10% surplus, that means you only have a 35 day surplus of corn on hand for the next year. And what if that year is like the one in the late 1800's, that did not have a summer, due to a volcano.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Takes a lot of chickens on a 20 acre plot to kill the bugs and eat the weeds, let alone the care and protection of them. Maybe it's something for Thendrix to look into? Wink

Yes, if I remember right they used 700 chickens per 1/4 acre.
 Lots of food per acre.
 Mass grazed in three sections. When they are moved to a new section seeds are spread on the old section so they will be sprouted when they come back to it.
Sprouts have more nutrition than seeds and are easier to digest.

The corn or other crop provides a canopy to protect them from above.
 The coop protects them at night.

Elderberries and asparigus around the edges for a hedge/fence/crop.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 1:57am
Well that would be something to see, sounds feasible. My luck the chickens would all want steak and potatoes. Wink 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 7:31am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Well that would be something to see, sounds feasible. My luck the chickens would all want steak and potatoes. Wink 
LOLLOLLOLReally?!
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 5:04pm
You'll have to throw them some leftover scraps from the local nursing home.
I only have 2 chickens but they eat better than me.
 Chickens are a great way to use leftovers from stores and restraunts.
 My buddy comes home with his pickup loaded from a trip into town.
Pastrys and freshish vegy and fruit.

Also a good time to mention the midwest is gearing up to be a big hazelnut producer.
 80% of our hazelnuts come from Turkey.
 20% from the west coast.
 Mark Shepard has crossed the west coast commercial hazels with our midwest wild ones.
 Has been stunning them for years.
 Sustained Total Utter Neglect.
 Droughts, coldest winters etc.
 Selecting which ones can handle it and produce the biggest, mostest the earliest. And has come up with some durable and productive bushes.
 Genetics are constantly being improved.

While Rockefellers are planting 10s of thousands of them on the east coast,
 the midwest has been doing the same.
 Who gets the first processing plant built?  We'll see.
 3 years until the first small crop.

Edited by wide - 04 Apr 2019 at 5:13pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:16pm
Flooding from NE thru Northern MO and SW IA is affecting a great deal of bottom land as to planting season. A great deal of stored grains have been ruined in those bottoms as well. Spoke to a number of grain handlers where the planting season Northern MO is at a halt as rains continue to drive thru each week, never gets dry enough to get on the fields. We could see a limited Midwest crops run this season if ANY crop out. Then have to figure there is so much contracted for the Corn gas before the planting even begins.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 7:09pm
A bit about first herbicides and impact on corn.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:01am
I have never had a hazelnut in my life, can't imagine life without them.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:55am
I was hoping that since China has banned all imports of Canola from Canada ( that's 40-50% of all crops..), that all the farmers would plant sugar beets. I know it's easy to grow in the wife's garden. Aside from animal feed, it can be use for sugar and more importantly as a DEICER ro replace the (*(*^&^&*(^$^ salt 'they' love to toss onto the rods up here. Beets are 100% effective and enviromentally SAFE. No destroy the concrete bridges, kill fishes, creates jobs....

sigh.... maybe I need to take off my 'beet' coloured glasses....?
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:52am
I hear they have been using beet juice inside tires for weight too,..
 instead of the corrosive stuff.
 If it gets a leak it probably looks like your tire is bleeding Tongue

That is one bad point about permaculture crops like Hazelnuts.
 Years before they produce,.. then I suppose a flood could kill them and you'd have to start all over again.

Edited by wide - 05 Apr 2019 at 10:54am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by wide wide wrote:

I hear they have been using beet juice inside tires for weight too,..
 instead of the corrosive stuff.
 If it gets a leak it probably looks like your tire is bleeding Tongue
Yes, for years.  But actually it's quite black, and rather sticky....

....and it doesn't corrode the rims, rather it eats valve stems.

Last year, when the right rear of my 7045 found a chisel plow shank in a new to me field, they put in "corn juice" because they told me the "beet juice" ate valve stems and this stuff wouldn't. 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:38pm
What will they think of next for using corn, just like soy a million and one uses, and that's a good thing.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 3:35pm
Weeds are simply plants that man has not figured out how to make them into something beneficial to us. Some day these things might cure cancer. I said might. Yes I spray and cultivate just like we did 50 years ago so no need to holler at me.
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:30pm
the price would go wherever the retailers want it to go. there is enough profit made to absorb the change, but they will be unwilling to do that. the producer is the one that suffers. there is $.05 of wheat in a loaf of bread they sell for $2. even if the wheat cost quadrupled it should not affect the price of bread, but yet it would because food cost is determined by processors, not what the farmer sells grain for. 
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:54am
I remember in high school being told the American Farmer feeds the world! Well I now know the world feeds itself . Sure some countries buy a lot of grain from us because they have to to keep their people fed and avoid revolution against their government. There are no famines like I remember in Africa or Asia. People that starve today are the result of powers that be wanting them to starve as a means of control! I personally believe that taking chemicals and GMO crops out of farming would bring a shortage for awhile and people would have to adapt. You would see less disposable income devoted to buying things and more to gardens and canning. Old ways of living would come back once people realized that they had to produce their own food. Of course there would be mass upheaval in society. Once that was worked out by the haves and have not's society would adapt. Humans are very adaptable! Our species has adapted for many thousands of years!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Weeds are simply plants that man has not figured out how to make them into something beneficial to us. Some day these things might cure cancer. I said might. Yes I spray and cultivate just like we did 50 years ago so no need to holler at me.

Man Tom, now you got my hopes up! If a use is discovered for pig weed, I’ll be richer than bill gates!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic