This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hunting Orange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting Orange
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:28pm
Folks,
I am sure there is a thread on hunting in general. This brings a little orange into the forum, in a different manner. Smile

In PA we need orange front and back and on our head, for this portion of the deer hunting season. I probably should not have had my hood up, but there was a cold wind on my back.
We have harvested 20 or so deer from this little wood lot over the last 30 years. And its right out the back door. 
I was bored and setting in a tree stand today behind the house. Tomorrow is the last day of rifle season in PA. 
After Christmas we will do a little smokepole hunting. I still have a buck tag so that can be used for buck (3 points on one side) or a doe. during muzzleloader season which goes till mid January.

I turned to get down from the ladder stand at dusk and a deer was standing in the bean field behind the stand. Yup it was a little buck, a 4 pointer.

May hunt some tomorrow. May be a few more deer move since more hunters may be out there. Predicting rain.

Rifle of choice is a Remington 7600 pump chambered in 30.06, with 3x9 scope. Nothing fancy. Just a old man in a stand! I have lost some of the edge and drive but still like to spend some time in the woods.

Hope things are good In Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Dec 2019 at 1:47pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:35pm
Looks cold up there ! Great pics and nice rifle and deer stand
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:39pm
This weekend is the Muzzleloader only season here in Illinois. I heard one shot today, at about 3:24PM. You can drive all around and not see a single hunter out and about.
 Oh yea, a muzzleloader is the only rifle allowed in Illinois Unhappy
 I've lost quite a bit of the 'edge' too. Didn't buy a bow tag this year, and may not buy Firearm and Muzzle loader tags next year.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 13 Dec 2019 at 5:41pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:46pm
One lone small buck on our place this year, basically stayed well out of range from Me, saw a couple does but nothing would take a shot at. No deer for us this year.

I have not the shoulders for drawing a compound bow back then holding for any real length of time anymore but MO has opened allowance to Crossbows. Looked a few times, pricey and not sure want one but may end up with one.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:17pm
Chris I shoot the same rifle only in .270. We have to have at least 50% of our upper body in blaze orange or now for the ladies blaze pink. If you wear a hat it must be 50% also. We had not so good of a year. Nobody really does much with smoke poles around here even though I have a few. I shoot a crossbow because of a shoulder that will be replaced. They are spendy, ackward in a tree stand and not so much fun to carry. But I would give up gun hunting over bow hunting if I had to make a choice. Good luck with the rest of your season.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:25pm
Folks, 
DMiller,
I was never a bow hunter. I was too lazy to practice with a compound. S about 4 years ago my son bought me a Horton brand cross bow/ scope. I had carried a borrowed cross bow for several years prior. I really like the crossbow! Much more like shooting a gun. Just need the deer to be within range, and stopped! Awesome hitting power! I have taken a small 7 point, a couple years back and a doe this year. I like that time of the year, a little warmer! Get one you will like it. Get one with a crank to cock the bow. Mine is still a challenge to cock with the rope pull back system!

Doug, 
Thanks. This stand is whats called a double. Wider for two adults. Very comfortable. Not real high off the ground, maybe 12 feet to the shooting rail. The rifle: Well this is my second one. I inherited my grandfathers 760 (it was a 1950 ish model) I had it re-blued in 1972 and refinished the stock. I have given it to my grandson, hoping to keep it in the family after I am gone! This one I bought in 1997, I am used to the Remington pump action rifle. 

C Tucker I hear you! We have a lot less hunters too. Most folks my age have hung it up. Kids aren't interested much. 

Was telling the wife today, I have been hunting 55 years! Got my first buck in 1967.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:35pm
I quit deer hunting about 10 years ago. It just rubbed me the wrong way for me to pay out of state rates to hunt on my own land at the farm. I understand why they did it that way but I pay taxes on 240 acres of land at the farm but because I live in another state they treat me like a red headed step child. For the cost I could afford a whole bunch of steak for the privilege of hunting my own land.........ok I'll go sit in the corner now.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:55pm
Allis Chalmers caps are good hunting apparel!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:45pm
smoke pole????
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:57pm
yep...it's official! i'm uglier than Chris!
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:59am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

smoke pole????
   I'm thinkin' that's a muzzle loader.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:01am
That's what I call a muzzleloader. You shoot it and when the smoke clears you see if you hit anything! They are fun to shoot though.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

yep...it's official! i'm uglier than Chris!
Shameless, post up that picture of your mug and let the fellers and the girls in pink florescent decide! I believe I resemble your remark! 
Hope I didn't shock anyone too bad. Usually I post pictures of orange tractor stuff and try to stay out of the picture, or far enough away that it may not matter! 
As I approach 68 in a few weeks the looks aren't improving! Also since Mike came up to visit I have decided to see how long the gray hair and beard can get! 
Slow time in the work shop on tractors right now.
We have rain today so I may not hunt. Plus a head cold on top of that. Doing what I do best, resting in the LazyBoy!

And yes a Allis hat would make a great blaze orange hunting hat too!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:45am
Folks,
On the smokepoles:
I have a 50 cal. Hawkin style Muzzle loader. It was made from a kit by a friends father. It is very heavy. I tend to leave it in the truck or home and carry a sling shot and a pocket full of iron ore pellets. I put on some small drives for the other old farts that I hunt with. Sometimes it works and deer move, sometimes the standers see deer, sometimes they are close enough for them to get a shot, and once in a great while someone actually kills one with a front stuffer! 
A time for celebration when that happens. 
They are very prone to miss or hang fire, not very a accurate, open sites only, flint lock type only in the late season. I will try to get some pictures during that season.
What fun!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Dec 2019 at 7:47am
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:29am
I started hunting deer in 1975 with my Mossburg pump and a smooth bored barrel. I shot a lot of deer with that, and in the 90's went to a muzzle loader more often than not. I have a TC .50 cal that has taken several deer and for the last decade or so, used a Knight .50 cal with a Nikon scope.
 My eyes don't work nearly as well as they used to, so open sights aren't worth a hoot.
 I started bow hunting in 98, and about 10 years ago, got a permit to use a crossbow.
 The Wicked ridge warrior does a fine job, if I can find time to spend in a stand. Helping the neighbor pick corn the last 10 years has severely cut down my time in a stand though.
 I would rather bow hunt, than gun hunt too, it just takes more time to get within 30 yards or so to get a clean sure shot.
 Even thought the wind is wrong, I'm taking the smoke pole out after dinner, to sit on the edge of the neighbors corn stalk ground in hopes of anything brown popping out for a snack before the weather turns tonight.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:56am
Well here is my white tail hunting adventure for the year.  Tongue

I know this farmer who has three grandsons that are avid hunters.  The oldest one is a big time trophy hunter - he lives for it.  So I gave Jake a call earlier this fall and informed him that my freezer was zero balance on venison.

one evening I am pfarting round here and Jake gives me a call and asked if I wanted a deer.  Turns out he got a ten pointer.  he said that he would be over in 15 minutes. 

Jake (who is 27) and his little brother show up with the critter that had been caped and skinned.  Those youngins hoist it out of the truck, carry it in the barn, and hang it on my overhead hoist.  Within the next two days ( weather was perfect) all is processed and in the freezer.

most people say that those big old bucks are too tough to eat, however i got one of those Instapot's that takes the tough out of it.  Already had a pulled venison roast
 and a couple of venison hamburger steaks.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:14am
Sous Vide, takes a lot longer, a day or so, but tender and not fall apart like hay strands, is my preference for tough meat. Lots of how to on YouTube. Go with chuck roast procedures and I also recommend boil the meat in the bag for 1-2 minutes just before putting in the S-V bath.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

I started hunting deer in 1975 with my Mossburg pump and a smooth bored barrel. I shot a lot of deer with that, and in the 90's went to a muzzle loader more often than not. I have a TC .50 cal that has taken several deer and for the last decade or so, used a Knight .50 cal with a Nikon scope.
 My eyes don't work nearly as well as they used to, so open sights aren't worth a hoot.
 I started bow hunting in 98, and about 10 years ago, got a permit to use a crossbow.
 The Wicked ridge warrior does a fine job, if I can find time to spend in a stand. Helping the neighbor pick corn the last 10 years has severely cut down my time in a stand though.
 I would rather bow hunt, than gun hunt too, it just takes more time to get within 30 yards or so to get a clean sure shot.
 Even thought the wind is wrong, I'm taking the smoke pole out after dinner, to sit on the edge of the neighbors corn stalk ground in hopes of anything brown popping out for a snack before the weather turns tonight.

Ctucker,
 Wishing you luck today. Now its snowing here and I may get out this afternoon for the end of the day.

Chas,
 You guys are making me hungry!

A picture from last year muzzleloader hunt. Two friends, they did not get a shot at a couple does I moved buy them.

Regards,
 Chris
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:14pm
Michigan law says blaze orange must be visible 360 degrees. Muzzleloader season here now but I live in the limited Firearms Zone and the Chronic Wasting Disease area and we are allowed to use muzzleloader,straight walled 35 caliber or larger rifles and handguns and shotguns. Sorry no Bazookas or Flame throwers or deer seeking missiles. A no bait ban is in effect and the DNR has been flying planes looking for deer congregating over bait piles. A lot of nice antlered bucks were taken in October during Archery season and some during November in the beginning of firearms season. For me 0. I have woods that joins two other farms and the third farm over was sold and no hunting plus they fall disced the ground so the deer go one more farm over to eat. The farm between me and the one that sold is leased and the owner disced his corn stalks. I have a small doe and two fawns in my woods and I won't shoot them! That is why they call it hunting not killing!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 1:44pm
Folks,
 Decided I am not going out in this today. The deer are safe.  klinemar is right, I like the huntin part better than the killin part!

A view from my back door: I am theoretically hunting whenever I look out back! The ladder stand I use is just into the woods at the back of these three little fields. About 300 yard walk.

The snow is wet like rain as temps are around 37 degress F.

Regards,
 Chris 
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 5:02pm
Yeah, Remington Gamemaster pumps.  For years the rifle of choice in PA.  I bought my 760 Gamemaster almost 50 years ago, 30.06.  At our camp in Tioga county, probably 75 percent of the gang back then carried Remingtons.  And 90 percent of us wore the traditional Woolrich black and red plaid.  I still have and use my Gamemaster.  And I still have and still wear (though not for hunting) my Woolrich coat I bought in about 1972.
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:51pm
Sugarmaker,

They say us Tennessee boys like wearing orange. Because we can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash on the side of the highway on Monday. I heard that years ago from an Florida fan. It don't bother me, I'm proud to be a redneck. I like the looks of that 7600. I never had a pump rifle, but it favors my 870 shotgun. I don't care for assault rifles, I like pretty guns that look like guns. An interesting fact about the model 760. It was the rifle used to assassinate Martin Luther King, in 30-06 too. I hope that statement doesn't take your thread in the wrong direction. Enjoy the rest of your hunting season.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:14pm
Chris, that is a great view from your back door and from your stand also. I was planning to hunt Friday but it poured down rain all day. Years ago I would have been in the stand rain or no rain but now I will sit by the Fisher wood heater. I enjoy the peace and solitude of sitting in the deer stand and enjoying the beauty of God's creation. I usually harvest a couple of does for venison in the freezer. I like the 2 person ladder stand or a tripod stand these days, I still have a Tree Lounge climbing stand but I haven't used it in a number of years and I think it is the best stand made. Love the 760 Remington too, mine is chambered for .35 Rem and has brought home quite a bit of venison.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 11:59pm
As a senior in 1959 my buddies talked me in to going deer hunting for the first time in N.Y. I had my dads 12 ga. single shot. They told me to go down in the woods and find a tree and stand behind it, and they would try to flush some deer my way. as I am waiting MAN I had to take a crap. In the process all of a sudden there was a lot of shooting and I could see something running, being a good distance away I thought the looked like dogs. I grabbed my long johns and pants in one hand and stood up. evidently the flash of the white long johns attracted the deer and one turned and headed right towards me. I almost hit him with the barrel of the gun. first shot knocked him down, had to reload to finish him. Since then I came to Nebraska in the Air Force and have hunted and got several deer and Antelope. My favorite place to hunt is Royal Neb. I sit on the top of bunch of gullies. Found an old milk pail shoved into a small cedar tree. Back into it, set and wait. When the hunters come and run the gullies the bucks come up on the top hills. I have picked off 3- 12 pointers within 15 minutes of opening season setting on that same bucket.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:41am
hows come your grill isn't under that roof?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 3:49pm
Guys,
 Good comments! The hunting thing runs way deep in the family here too. Since I grew up starting to hunt with a Winchester Model 1897 pump shotgun in 16 gage the Remington 760 was easy to move over to! Yes lots of them used in PA for years!
Looking forward to some muzzleloder hunts after Christmas with the other old guys.

Shameless, the roof to the left is only a pergola (No roof just shade). I dont cook out much this time of year. We are back in light blizzard mode as I look out the window tonight.
We have fresh venison in the freezer and have given some to family and friends.

My son and I still process our deer. It is a lot of work but its good to stay in touch with where our food comes from and how it is handled and processed. We grind most of the venison into burger, and few roasts and the back straps. We also make a venison Kielbasi that is awesome!

Also doing your own processing slows you down a little when your ready to pull that trigger! Then the work starts! 

Regards,
 Chris
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:29pm
I still have  97 12 Ga pump.  I really do not care what the final resting place is for it, but it has a home as long as I can clean it and admire it once a year.

Lots of memories there.

hopefully it will find a good home.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

My son and I still process our deer. It is a lot of work but its good to stay in touch with where our food comes from and how it is handled and processed. We grind most of the venison into burger, and few roasts and the back straps. We also make a venison Kielbasi that is awesome!

Also doing your own processing slows you down a little when your ready to pull that trigger! Then the work starts! 

Regards,
 Chris

Chris, like you and your son I process my own and it does make you think twice before pulling that trigger. That is when the work starts. My daughter told me a few weeks ago that she wants me to teach her how to skin and process a deer and she doesn't even hunt. And she wants me to teach my granddaughter how to use a rifle. Granddaughter loves burning up grandpa's pistol ammo how there goes my rifle ammo too.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:45am
Hubert, there are some good you tubes on the subject.

I have used them for fine tuning my chop them up act.  Wink
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 7:26am
I agree with many of you that hunting, skinning and processing the meat from your kill is skills that many hunters lack! A local processor now charges an extra $30 to gut deer! And I have talked to men who worked for him for extra money telling of deer brought in with parts of the guts left in! Yesterday my son and his girlfriend came down from Kalamazoo to hunt and Lydia shot a big Doe. I helped them retrieve and gut the Doe giving advice and actually getting my hands bloody showing her how. She has elected to have a local processor cut and wrap and make the sausage as Deer from our area can't be transported whole out of the CWD disease area which is nothing more than a Government Boondoggle! Yes we could cut and wrap here as that has been done many times past but Klinemar believes in letting his Children make their own decisions and he also believes Klinemar would have done the majority of the work! I am just happy Lydia hunts and shoots and will get her hands bloody! And Nate brings her along!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic