This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Identify Model G Implements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Identify Model G Implements
    Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:12am
I purchased a Model G recently including several implements  which are a bit of a mystery.  Thanks.  Jim Hensel, Portland Oregon

I was told this was for cultivating Strawberries (likely homemade?) but the toolbar attachment looks very G like.

This disk is adjustable (frozen at the moment) to change the bite of the disks and appears to be towable.

There are also two 12" wide pieces that I am guessing attach to the rear toolbar.  Not sure how this one attaches.  Not sure what it does. Hay rake?

Sponsored Links

Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:59am
James, not sure about the first implement.  Second implement is a disc that is pulled behind a tractor.  Allis marketed a ten blace disc for the G; not sure if yours is eight or ten blades; also was of opinion that the G disc was not pitch adjustable (yours is). Third implement is a right hand moldboard plow that attaches to the right half of the front axle; you are lucky in that you have both the gage wheel and the disc coulter (the first things that are readily removed and pitched into a corner somewhere and then lost).  Fourth implement is a spring tooth harrow; believe the PO (previous owner) or someone converted it to use on your Allis G.
Most serious vegetable farmers will have a couple special implements they have modified for use on Allis G tractors; just one of the reasons G's are so desireable.
How about a couple photos of your G.  Herb(GA)
jameshensel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:20am
Thanks Herb,  Here is a picture of the G.  It has the Hydraulics with levers.  Not sure what they do though -- think they are trips for some implements (double plow?).

Here are the other bits that I can't identify.

Jim

I know that the lid is for a fertilizer side dresser hopper that came with the G.  The toolbar piece in the upper right has a mate so that is good along with the bar.  The chain, sprocket and "slinky" tubes are for the side dresser too.

GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 7:41am
We always called that last one a "rod weeder".
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 11:35am
They made a two bottom plow set, one R.H. and one L.H. You used only one at a time, saved turning and end running time to alternate plows. Row crop cultivator also spanned a couple rows and needed to be lifted on both sides. Some of the iron pieces look like bad imagination on accessories. The single disks on the round shanks are plow coulters. The triangular frame is a field cultivator. The parallel bar frame is a row crop cultivator sub assembly that used the wheel and tire to set the depth of the cultivator shovel.

I read on this form that there is a single manual covering all the factory tools for the G. I don't have G or that manual.

Gerald J.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:26pm
I have 1 Dealer Parts Manual for all the factory implements for the G.
For Sale: $25 + the ride
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:14pm
Thanks Glenn.  My G came with 10 original books and brochures including, I believe, the one you have for sale.  I have sent them all to Joe M to get scanned.  They should then be available by PDF to anyone who wants them. 

Jim
Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

The single disks on the round shanks are plow coulters.

I think it should be pointed out that if these are plow coulters, they are not plow coulters for a G Plow   ...or at least they are quite different from the disc coulter on my G Plow.

Best regards,

Scott
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 4:08pm
Thanks Scott.  

Does anyone know where to get the Gauge Wheel rubber tire.  As you can see above, the tire is shot.

Jim Hensel
Portland, Oregon
oldironguy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldironguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 4:59pm
For the picture with various parts laid out on the gound.

Yes the top left is a lid for either a seed can or a fertilizer can. To its right is master tool carrier arm assembly. Two are needed.

Further down in the picture to the right the S shaped piece is a Planet jr offset flat cultivator standard for use on the 60" double toolbar or other cultivators.

The gauge wheel also fits the 60" double tool bar. If you have the right clamp, it can be used on the 84" single toolbar too.

The circular item to the lower left is the drive sprocket for either a power driven seeder or side dresser.  I can't tell exactly which.  Both implements used the same sprocket but different brackets.

You have quite a find.  Be sure to let us know if you have extra bits and pieces to sell and please post where the PDF manuals will be available.

Thanks

Dick

ibleedorange View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibleedorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:48pm
I beleive the first picture is for raking the straw off of the strawberry rows.
Tractors; If it runs, use it. Motorcycles: Ride em like today is your last day.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:57pm
As to raking the straw off the rows, how do you think it was powered?  The chain shaft is transverse to the direction of travel.  I cant see any way to power it on the G.  Sort of wondered if it was merely an adjustment. mechanism.

Jim Hensel
Portland, Oregon
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 6:16pm

Dick,  I have the rest of the master tool carrier just coming out of electrolysis right now.  The Wedge pins are threaded.  Guessing this was a homemade solution to keeping the pins in place.  I have the standard 60" double toolbar .

Above, the picture below the coulters shows a toolbar.  Not sure what it is for though.  I think when I get the master tool carrier mounted, I will put this on and maybe its secrets will be revealed.

I will let you know what I have for trade.  Will likely have the side dresser (Lid, hopper, splitter, slinky tubes, mounting saddles, drivetrain, rusty chain and rear wheel sprocket) and a Messinger duster (including hose end cups) up for trade.  Looking for a gang of 3-4 planet jrs.  Probably need another gauge wheel.

This will leave me with the Plow, #4 mower, grader blade (homemade), cultivator, disk, pull weeder and the unidentified bits.

I will let you know as soon as the PDF manuals are available.  They will be nicer than some of the second or third or thirteenth generation reproductions because the original books are in great shape.

Jim Hensel,

Portland, Oregon
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 6:18pm
Above, the picture below the coulters shows a toolbar.  Not sure what it is for though.  I think when I get the master tool carrier mounted, I will put this on and maybe its secrets will be revealed.

I will let you know what I have for trade.  Will likely have the side dresser (Lid, hopper, splitter, slinky tubes, mounting saddles, drivetrain, rusty chain and rear wheel sprocket) and a Messinger duster (including hose end cups) up for trade.  Looking for a gang of 3-4 planet jrs.  Probably need another gauge wheel.

This will leave me with the Plow, #4 mower, grader blade (homemade), cultivator, disk, pull weeder and the unidentified bits.

I will let you know as soon as the PDF manuals are available.  They will be nicer than some of the second or third or thirteenth generation reproductions because the original books are in great shape.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 6:18pm

Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 9:21pm
The white cultivators don't look like any in my book.
I think several pieces are "farmer made". Bob
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldironguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 9:36pm
Jim,

Is it possible that the long shaft shown on the ground next to the planter lid is the front half of a powershaft for the strawberry rake?  Might that be the front half of a telescoping shaft that is slung beneath below the tractor belly and is driven by a chain or v-belt from the rear crankshsft pulley?  Could the sprocket or pulley beside the shaft be part of the rig?

I do love a puzzle.

Dick

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 10:56pm
Dick,  I flipped the picture so that what you see below is sort of how it would look when it is on the tractor.  As you can see, the shaft is running in line with the engine and perpendicular to the PTO pulley.  Other than a #4 mower, I don,t know of any implement that makes the 90 degree change in motion.

Jim

Edited by jameshensel - 28 Oct 2011 at 10:58pm
Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:41am

My guesses follow:

0  -   Part # 319117 – Manifold, Fertilizer (I would have to rotate the part to know for sure)

1  -   Part # 316204 – Sprocket, Main Drive

2  -   Part # 316339 – Bracket, Narrow

3  -   Part  # 316340 – Bracket, Wide

4  -   Part # ? – Spout, Fertilizer – Part number depends on the size

5  -   Part # ? – Spout, Fertilizer  - Part number depends on the size

6  -   Part # ? – Link Chain of some sort – Part number depends on the size.

7  -   Part # 311499 – Lid Assy., Hopper

8  -    Part # - Various – Master Lift Arm Assy. (Front & Rear) + Parallel Links (Right Hand side I think)

9  -   Unknown

10 –   Part # ? – Not sure but I believe this goes under the seed hopper on a Power Driven Seeder.  Something similar is pictured in the manual but it is not named and it doesn’t have a part number.

11 –   Part # Not Applicable – Standard, Offset, Flat (Planet Jr.) with Double Pointed Shovel

12 –   Part # 318524 - Sheave

13 –   Unknown sprocket

14 –   Part # 800188 – Pulley, Belt

15 –   Unknown

16 –   Part # (several) – Double Tool Bar Gauge Wheel Assembly (Left Hand)

17 -   Unknown

Scott

Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:57am
Originally posted by jameshensel jameshensel wrote:

Thanks Herb,  Here is a picture of the G.  It has the Hydraulics with levers.  Not sure what they do though -- think they are trips for some implements (double plow?).

The Model G was offered with 2 different Hydraulic setups: Solid Shaft & Split Shaft.  The "levers" are for the Split Shaft.  I THINK that this was primarily used for a left & right plow setup.  I cannot think of any other reason to have the split shaft.  If this is incorrect, perhaps some other member of the forum can enlighten me.

If there is a LH Plow associated with this tractor then, in my experience, you really have something unusual. 

Best regards,

Scott
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 1:16pm
Here is the plow that came with this G.  I am the third owner so presume it was purchased with the G.  Serial number indicates it is a 1948 production year.

I think this is a RH plow though.

Jim

Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 3:47pm

I think this is a RH plow though.

Jim

Jim,

Agreed - it appears to be a RH Plow to me.

I suppose it isn't possible to talk to the original owner regarding what he/she used the split shaft system for.

Best regards,

Scott
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:51pm
That coulter looks like it's a flat one. The one for the G is a concave one. The G does a very good of plowing.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 8:53pm
Scott,  The original Owner died in 1972 when my seller acquired it (family friend).  
Dusty,  The coulter looks a lot like the"Disc Hiller with Square Shank" on page 16 of the Model G Implements book.

Jim
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldironguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 9:04pm
Scott, 

Do you know if the split hydraulic shaft also used on the aftermarket loader that fit the G?

Dick
Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by oldironguy oldironguy wrote:

Scott, 

Do you know if the split hydraulic shaft also used on the aftermarket loader that fit the G?

Dick

Dick,

I don't know but Herb Metz has a loader and maybe he can give some information on that.

Best regards,

Scott
Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 10:17pm

Scott,  The original Owner died in 1972 when my seller acquired it (family friend).  
Dusty,  The coulter looks a lot like the"Disc Hiller with Square Shank" on page 16 of the Model G Implements book.

Jim

Jim,

It took me a little bit of rooting through my manuals to find which "Implements book" you were referring to.  There's a parts book that has all the implements (Form D-11); there's an operator's manual for the Right Hand Plow only (Form TM-25) & there's an operator's manual for the Right & Left Hand Plow (Form TM-25A). 

Anyway, on page 16 of TM-25A I found the illustration that you referred to and I agree with you that your plow's disc coulter looks correct ...but the disc itself looks "flat" in the picture.  The disc on mine isn't flat but is concave.  Apparently Dusty has a concave disc as well.

If your disc is flat...
 I don't know if the disc coulter's disc varied from "flat" to "concave" over time or perhaps the flat one on yours was a replacement somewhere along the line.  I will say that everything else on the plow looks correct to me - and the discs may have been flat on these things at one time.

Best regards,

Scott

Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 10:31pm
Jim,

Now that I think about it, referring to my earlier post about your hydraulic split shaft and my speculation that its only use was for a 2-plow setup,  it is interesting that you have an operator's manual for Right Hand & Left Hand Plows.

Best regards,

Scott
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 10:47pm
Hi Scott,

I am not sure it came with a RH and LH Plow book.  I have loaned them all to a fellow to scan.  Here is what documentation came with my G:
  1. Operating Instructions and Repair Parts Illustrations – Front Mounted Plow – 16 Pages
  2. OI&RPI – One Row Combination Planter – 40 pages and 2 page supplement dated 12-15-49
  3. OI&RPI – Allis Chalmers Model “G” Tractor – 48 pages
  4. OI&RPI _ Fertilizer Side Dresser – 16 Pages
  5. OI&RPI – No. 4 Power Mower – 24 pages
  6. OI&RPI – Hydraulic Pump Belt Pulley Lifting Equipment – 18 pages
  7. Setting Up directions, operations, maintenance and Repair Parts Illustrated  - Model “G” Implements – 76 pages 
  8. Intertec Publishing – AC-11 – Allis-Chalmers Shop Manual (looks more modern as it has a barcode) and covers B, C, CA, G, RC, WC, WD, WD45, WD45 Diesel and F Models.
  9. Two copies of a Marketing booklet titled “The Allis-Chalmers Model G Rear Engine Tractor – Central Unit of a Simplified System of Motorized Farm Tools.” – 16 pages
  10. Brochure titled “Man to Man – Here’s what you get in the Model G Tractor”  -- Folded from 22” by 17” into a four-fold 11x8 ½  format.  This piece is missing a bit of the paper.
Jim
Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:03pm

Hi Scott,
I am not sure it came with a RH and LH Plow book.

Jim,

What are the odds...  Ha!

Your Document 7 is Form TM-3 and, just like Form TM-25A that I mentioned earlier, it has an illustration of the plow coulter on page 16.

Best regards,

Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic