This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

head gasket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: head gasket
    Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 7:49pm
Is there after market head gasket that is better then stock. Was just wondering before I put motor back together. Pump has 390 head 3000 rpm and a holset hx35.  301motor     o

Edited by 200 allis - 15 Apr 2014 at 7:57pm
Sponsored Links

O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:35pm
If there is a better stock gasket I wouldn't know what brand it would be. The ultimate fix is to use wire rings from DQM or whatever it's called now. .105" diameter wire and if you are using stock sleeves go with a 4.650" O.D. on the rings. To do this the flange on the sleeve much be faced of about .033" for proper fit. In conjunction with these rings you can use the stock gasket with the OEM fire rings removed or use a copper gasket which is reusable many times over.

Another option may be to just use a copper gasket with the correct bore size. It may squeak a little compression when cold but it won't blow out. You will have to have adequate sleeve stand out for this to work.

Call Robert Alves. He makes a nice copper gasket at a reasonable price.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 15 Apr 2014 at 8:59pm
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 9:05pm
Do u think the stock gasket will be fine.
rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 9:09pm
I have a copper 301 gasket sitting around. Dont know much about it. If you're interested
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 9:36pm
Well my crystal ball is broke down today. I would guess you can use it for a while but it will eventually leave go. What are you using now and is it blown out or are you having good luck with it? If it's working stay the course. If it ain't working doing the same thing again will most likely end up with the same results.
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 9:59pm
I don't have it together waiting for rods to come back from heat treating. I was wondering whether the stock head gasket would work with hx 35. Just trying to eliminate any problems
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 10:18pm
If you don't have the engine together I would machine the sleeves and use the wire rings and a copper gasket. This combo will put up with a lot of horsepower. The initial price of the gasket will be higher than a paper gasket, but if you re use the gasket twice you will more than recover the cost. You should get 6 - 8 uses or more from the gasket. The wire rings are cheap at about $85.00 for a minimum order of a qty. of 18. If you do this and do it correctly, you will not have head gasket issues and in the long run it will be cheaper. You could have the copper gasket and the wire rings within the next couple of weeks I would guess. If you need dimensions of the gasket, sleeve flange, or wire rings let me know.

You are thinking correctly by doing it right the first time and avoiding problems.

Have you tried the HX35 yet and if so, how does it work?

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 15 Apr 2014 at 10:21pm
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:39am
Where would I go about ordering wire rings and gasket. This stuff is new to me just trying to eliminate problems. If u have all that info. I would appreciate it. I just picked up the turbo haven't used it just waiting for rods.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 8:06am
The place that makes the seal rings is Seal-Tec 630-692-0633. They are in Oswego IL. You have to tell them what you want made, they don't have application info. If you prefer, I can buy them, and sell you the 6 you need. The price has gone up some, and I try to keep the ones for a 426 that are drop on, as well as machined sleeve size. If you have the right info, you can have a size made that won't require machining the sleeve, but aren't as tough as the thicker ones requiring sleeve removal and machining. The level you're looking at, I would feel comfortable with the drop on. PM me for more details. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:41am
Im runing a 301 with an hx35 and it does farly well
How much boost were u making befor u blow the head gasket
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:23pm
I had just picked up a hx 35 was running stock turbo til I bent a rod
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:19pm
How much boost were u runing with stock turbo befor it bent the rod
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:40pm
Don't forget too much pump timing on a 301 will kill stock rods and head gaskets too. There is a point with pump timing where no power is gained. Retard two degrees from that point.
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 5:31am
When pump was build they had said to put it at 35 degrees an advanced was locked.
Will it hurt anything to run less timing.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 5:54am
Timing is one of those things, that if a little is better, a lot more isn't better. 32 to 34 degrees on a 301 is usually best.
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:30am
How much boost will kill a stock head gasket with out head studs
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:20am
160 psi.
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:42pm
That's a lot I was told 40 pounds was pushing it
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:52pm
You asked about head bolt STUDS. I know of many diesel 301's that run 100 to 110 lbs all the time with regular A-C head bolts. I know of one that used to run 140 psi boost with three turbo's that had A-C head bolts. Whatever you're thinking, studs won't fix a head gasket problem on an A-C.
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 7:13pm
g I don't have a head gasket problem I just wanted to see how far I could push the stock head gasket before it blows and I was just saying with out studs
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 7:46pm
40 psi with or without studs is pretty close.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 7:51pm
Head studs on a 301 are not necessary and would be a waste of time and money.

I realize you are trying to avoid problems down the road which is good. With that said, if the engine is already assembled I would run what you have until it blows. When it does, fix it. Blowing a head gasket won't hurt the engine any.

A 301 with stock conn rods just might bend a rod before it blows a head gasket. Ain't that right Robert C!!

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 18 Apr 2014 at 7:52pm
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 8:20pm
Is 7th gear possible for me to run at 8500lb class
Acllss puller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acllss puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:02pm
Skip that HX35 put on an h1e holset and kick some, h1e open rpm 22 exhaust housing,Vogel cam ,water and intercooler will get you 500 horses at 60 lbs of boost. One nasty little turbo 2.37x2.67 I think.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:12pm
You are correct for open RPM 301. He is limited to 3,000 RPM with no cooler and a small output injection pump. The HX40 is the newer version of the H1e and would be better yet for open RPM.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:21pm
My mistake. His is running open RPM I think with a cast flywheel and P.D. clutch. He should be running no more than 3,000 unless those are changed.

Point is, I think a 301 with a 250 cc pump @ 3K RPM won't spin an H1E / HX40 where a H1C / HX35 might work better.

200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:22pm
The reason I'm doing more to my tractor is to beat my buddies oliver super 99 with a 6-71 detroit.
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:25pm
I have a steel flywheel and double disc clutch coming
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:39pm
So can you run open RPM? Good to hear about the flywheel and clutch. Have you done any port work to your cylinder head? Also, can you run an intercooler? Lastly, what exhaust housing does your HX35 have on it?

As far as 7th gear @ 8500 lbs. you won't do it without a DB .450 pump. It sounds like you may have a flywheel clutch that will do the job (if it is a multi disk), but the PD clutch will have to be removed. It will slip if you ever get enough power to run 7th gear weighing that much. D19 low side PD gears will slow 7th gear down by about 8%. Still will need a bigger injection pump than your .390.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 18 Apr 2014 at 9:58pm
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:54pm
Are club really don't have a rpm rule. Just smoothed ports off and head was refreshed up
I could run a intercooler 12cm exhaust house.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic