This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvey engine factory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ernie Gerald View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 7:57pm
Yes I meant D2800, I tested on all 3 diesel lines as well as the V12's. The mid sized line tested was D6000, D7000, D3400,D3500 and the 11000 size. The 3rd was for the big boys. All engine came in from the assembly line on a overhead conveyor rail and we had an overhead cable crane on all 3 test lines to take the engine of and to the test dyno stand and then after test back on the line and from there the engines went to the final assembly adding assy. parts and then through the wash booth and then the paint booth. Then shipping put them on skids for shipment. The engine assembly line was dept.75 Test dept. was 77. Our employee numbers started with the 2 digit dept. number with 3 digits after. I put my lead wire seal on to many engines to count. When test was finished and all was a go, we put the wire seals on the injection pumps. The only engine I had come back was a gleaner combine D2900 engine and it was the injection pumps fault. The pump rack flipped open full past the governor and the combine ate up a fence row until it choked the engine to a stop. The engine was completely gone through and inspected and the Simms pump went to the pump room where they found the problem.    
Engine Tester 77136
Sponsored Links

Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:28pm
Ernie how many engines could you test in a day? Looks like you enjoyed it. What brought you out to Washington?
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
jorstad brothers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorstad brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:39pm
do you know who scratched the initals in the valve covers?? have several here will look soon i think it was  RHS and the date is under them.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 9:05pm
Test amounts On the small line was 5 a day, the medium line was 3 and the large line was 1. We also had a gas engine dept and I believe it was 15 a day. We also had 3 repairmen in the test Dept and they would replace a pump or whatever in the test stand, if they had to go inside the engine we marked it for repair and wrote the problem on the test sheet for that engine. After Allis Chalmers I became a service manager for I.H.C. and then had a few jobs after that. My last one was a regional Manager for a after market auto parts co. I ended up in California and was responsible for 6 states including Hawaii. I retired in 2004 and had 2 brother5s living in Washington with less people and better cost of living.
Engine Tester 77136
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 9:09pm
I don't know who RHS is and we could not deface the engines, Inspection would catch it. I would say it was done after the plant closed.
Engine Tester 77136
jorstad brothers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorstad brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 9:14pm
my other thought was it was the guy installing them or starting them at west allis
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Ernie Gerald Ernie Gerald wrote:

Test amounts On the small line was 5 a day, the medium line was 3 and the large line was 1. We also had a gas engine dept and I believe it was 15 a day. We also had 3 repairmen in the test Dept and they would replace a pump or whatever in the test stand, if they had to go inside the engine we marked it for repair and wrote the problem on the test sheet for that engine. After Allis Chalmers I became a service manager for I.H.C. and then had a few jobs after that. My last one was a regional Manager for a after market auto parts co. I ended up in California and was responsible for 6 states including Hawaii. I retired in 2004 and had 2 brother5s living in Washington with less people and better cost of living.

Of those 5 engines a day, how many needed more than tightening a fitting??
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
tornado8070 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:47pm
Thanks for sharing these great pieces of AC history. 
09’ DT205B, 08’ DT220A, 83' 8070 MFWD, 83’ 8070 85’ 8050 MFWD, 83' 8030, 82' 8010, 85’ 6080 MFWD, 84’ 6080, 79' 7020, 85' M3 RWD, 85' 920 diesel,AC C-50 forklift.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 4:57am
Yes Ernie , thanks for the pics and info , that would've been an awesome job ! Lets hear more stories !
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 5:34am
Ernie, thanks for all the info and pictures. I have seen 3 of the V-12's --very impressive. I have a 3500 MK II engine with a Simms injection pump (in a 220). Did many engines have a Simms pump and did they perform better??
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 6:21am
Excellent info and pics! Thanks Erie for sharing!! I'll bet there's a lot of great stories over those years of employment there.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:54am
I worked in department 75 from mid 1969 till I got into inspection in 1975 for department 76. Of the many jobs I had at the engine plant I'd have to say that inspection was the best.                                                                                                                    Erine, how did you like the walk from engine test which was on the far West end of the plant over to the experimental lab which was on the far East side of the plant to test the V12's? I and three other guys where the ones who built the first 12 V12 production prototypes over in department 76. 

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 4:57pm
Mark, It depended on how well the assembly line did that day. Here are some things that were repaired in the test stand, Porous block pin hole they would drill and plug and grind off the excess, If we had a miss in the engine we would determine which injector was bad by loosening the fuel fee line, Bad vibration was usually and bad dampener, Fuel filter header leaks, its very hard to put a number on this. We washed the engine after we got it running and hot and blew it off with air and checked for water, fuel or oil leaks. We then set the high speed RPMs after that we removed the valve cover and retorqued the head and set the rocker arm gap then reassembled and rechecked for leaks. We ran the power curve at the console and wrote down the beam load settings and we used a slide rule for HP. If all was ok we then removed the engine and hung it on the overhead conveyor to go to Dept 76.    
Engine Tester 77136
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 7:37pm
It was a long walk. However when I was night shift supervisor I had a standup electric scooter to ride. Does anyone remember Norv Rabe, Mel Deridder, Steve Moisoff, they were supervisors in the test dept until Rabe retired and Steve was killed in a car accident one night going home. Bob Gard took Steves place and I became nigtht test supervisor when Bob went on days in Dept. 75.
Engine Tester 77136
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 7:42pm
I only remember the D2900's and D3500's having Simms pumps, most had Rosa Master or American Bosh pumps. Freightliner used a lot of D3500's.
Engine Tester 77136
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 7:55pm
I do remember Big John, I believe he was an inspector in the Test Dept. As I remember he was about 5'8" or so and pretty round. Course I am over 6'1" and can't judge height of shorter people.
Engine Tester 77136
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:03pm
The 3500 MK II engine with the Simms pump that I have in my 220 was on a standby water pump in a town. It had 82 hours and come with all the manuals but the manuals called it an 'On Highway engine'. Did the engines that went to Freightliner have Simms pumps? Sure does start good !! I added an intercooler but didn't touch the pump and it dynos 190 hp with little effort.

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 13 Nov 2014 at 8:06pm
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:09pm

I do remember Big John, I believe he was an inspector in the Test Dept. As I remember he was about 5'8" or so and pretty round. Course I am over 6'1" and can't judge height of shorter people.

Yep; That was my dad. He also was quite good at drawing. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:11pm
It must have been a thrill to test the V-12's.  I've heard two of them run and the sound is awsome.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:21pm

It was a long walk. However when I was night shift supervisor I had a standup electric scooter to ride. Does anyone remember Norv Rabe, Mel Deridder, Steve Moisoff, they were supervisors in the test dept until Rabe retired and Steve was killed in a car accident one night going home. Bob Gard took Steves place and I became nigtht test supervisor when Bob went on days in Dept. 75.
My dad knew Bob pretty good. I had two supervisors when I was in inspection. One was Bud Howell and Carl Bloom.                                                                                           I remember the little three wheel scooters. Jack Cave who was the general foreman in dept 75 rode one a lot. When ever he would go past the commercial paint booth one of the painters would wad up some masking tape and roll it out in front of him and he would just about fall off (he had poor eyesight just after his cataracts).
I remember Norv and Steve but, mostly I remember Mel Deridder. Where you still there when his kid started working in test? 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 9:02pm
Yes I was still there when his son worked there. Mel was a great person and boss. Do you remember the 7 foot tall black guy that worked there. He was a Bloom HS basketball player. I fired a black guy for coming in drunk and the tall guy helped me calm him down so the guards could usher him out. The tall guy picked him up face to face and that calmed him down instantly.
Engine Tester 77136
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 3:18am
Anyone have any experience with the 844 Big Al? Why couldnt AC have made the improvements right after the huge failures and been successful in this project?
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 8:26am

Yes I was still there when his son worked there. Mel was a great person and boss. Do you remember the 7 foot tall black guy that worked there. He was a Bloom HS basketball player. I fired a black guy for coming in drunk and the tall guy helped me calm him down so the guards could usher him out. The tall guy picked him up face to face and that calmed him down instantly.
Don't remember the 7 footer but, do remember more than a few people over the 12 years that I worked there being let go because of that.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 10:08am
The D844 BIG AL was a powerhouse but it was to heavy and that was a problem for the gross weight which created less payload.
Engine Tester 77136
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Anyone have any experience with the 844 Big Al? Why couldnt AC have made the improvements right after the huge failures and been successful in this project?

This was something they should never have messed with.  Allis was never going to be able to beat out Cummins, Cat, or Detroit Diesel in the on-highway truck market-----------especially with their meager engineering budget.  That budget (and the tooling budget) would have been better spent on improvements for the 301 and 426 engines.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 8:17pm
amen to that - I have no idea as to engineering there - take camshafts for example - the same cam was used from the first D21 3400 426 to the last 8070 - same for the first 180 2800 to the last 7020 or L3 145hp  engine...  surely there could have been SOME improvements as the cam is the heart of an engine.  About the only change in the Ag engines was strengthening the blocks and a copper sleeve (hmmm ) 2900 head.  Some parts were changed but there were no major improvements that were apparent .... There were are lot of time spent on the 433I due to the clutch on the 6080's which pushed the cranks thru the thrust brgs... that cost them millions... 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 11:32am
Did you guys at Harvey have competitors engines in house to tear down and study or was it- we will do our own thing?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Gerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 1:49pm
I don't remember seeing a competitive engine anywhere at the plant. I think A/C just did their own thing. The A/C was a very tough and well designed engine for durability. You still see the old 4 cylinder gas engines still powering carnival rides from many years ago. Also A/C had a one cylinder engine with a huge flywheel for the sugar cane industry of old. They would ship the engine back to Harvey for a rear oil leak and you laid the engine up on its bell housing and removed the engine from the bell housing after removing the flywheel. These old engine just never wore out. A/C did lighten up its engine design from the old Buda engines.   
Engine Tester 77136
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 1:58pm
Ill admit the hum of a fine tuned 301 diesel is what i luv,, those little engines can take a ton of fuel and turbo boost! Im guessing the Rossa pump was really popular and cheaper than the inline Simms,, but u see some Simms out there but alot more Rossa,s and theyre fine too
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Did you guys at Harvey have competitors engines in house to tear down and study or was it- we will do our own thing?
Yes, we did have competitors engines in Harvey. They were tested and examined over in the experimental lab. They were kept in wooden crates when not being used.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic