This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going Back a Few Years....New Idea Equipment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_Larson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going Back a Few Years....New Idea Equipment
    Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 8:05pm
Just got off the phone with Glenn Bridges from Kentucky. Glenn writes about developing a toy model, he has built of Allis-Chalmers, and gives a brief history of the unit in each issue of the Upper Midwest A-C Club's newsletter.

Glenn and I were talking tonight and he brought up the subject of New Idea equipment and where did it go? You don't hear about New Idea much anymore. I was going to email this information to Glenn, personally, but I decided to share the same information with our forum friends.

So, here it goes:
New Idea was birthed in 1899 when Joseph Oppenheim created the first mechanical manure spreader in Maria Stein, Ohio, USA. He died shortly after the first few were built, and B.C. Oppenheim and his son-in-law, Henry Synck took over the leadership of the company. It was first known as Oppenheim's New Idea, and in 1904 changed its name to New Idea Spreader Company[1]

In 1912, all operations were moved to Coldwater, OH. The company was sold in 1945 to AVCO[2]

In 1984 the New Idea division was purchased by White Farm Equipment to form White-New Idea, a division of the Allied Products Corporation. In 1993, AGCO purchased White-New Idea. AGCO, and White before it, also manufactured tractors at the Coldwater, OH plant, but in 1999, AGCO closed the plant. Hay product manufacturing was moved to the Hesston plant in Hesston, KS.

The New Idea brand was dropped by AGCO around 2007.

Referenced from http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/New_Idea
G,D10,D12,D14,D15,D17gas,D17 diesel,D19 Diesel, D21 Series II,160,190, B1,Bumble Bee 10,B1,HB 212,ACC 30 forklift and snap-coupler equipment
Sponsored Links

Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 7:45am
Howdy Randy,
I just finished restoring a New Idea Seed/ Fertilizer spreader. Its pto and ground driven. Nice little unit, it holds 4000 ibs or 67 bushel.  If I couid post pics I would.

Kurzy
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 12:08pm
A year or two ago I bought a New Idea Model 100 (10') Fertilizer Spreader in Indiana. It had the optional Grass Seeder attachment on it. I haven't used it yet, and plan on repainting/restoring it first. On the way home we came right through Coldwater, OH where it was made. I stopped in a barber shop to ask where the factory was located. It happened to be just a few blocks away, so I drove by it with the spreader on the back of the truck. Got some looks from the folks sitting outside at a picnic table on a smoke break. Don't know if any of them realized the "Homecoming" or not. The factory is being used by various companies. The Barber told me there was a local man trying to get some sort of New Idea museum started there. Dad or Grandpa had one of these spreaders when I was a kid. It will look good behind the WD45 or CA when I'm done. Does anyone happen to have the paint code for the green and orange paints used on this 1950's vintage New Idea equipment?
Randy_Larson View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_Larson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 12:54pm
Nice to see that New Idea is still alive
G,D10,D12,D14,D15,D17gas,D17 diesel,D19 Diesel, D21 Series II,160,190, B1,Bumble Bee 10,B1,HB 212,ACC 30 forklift and snap-coupler equipment
Randy_Larson View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_Larson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 12:55pm
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 2:42pm
Dad still has a NI manure spreader and round baler from the late 80's grey and silver era. Both are good machines, simple and reliable.
The New Idea manure spreader is still built as a Massey as is the New Idea disc mower.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 6:10pm
I worked for AVCO in Nashville,TN. They built the New Idea implements there before I went to work there. The old timers had seen a lot from the P38s,C130s,C5As,Bell Helicopters,Boeing 757, Space shuttle and the B1B . Worked on all the government planes and projects. 27 acres under roof. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:16pm
There was a BIG EPA issue with the Coldwater Plant and Agco.  I do not remember all the details.  The US Super Fund clean up was even involved at some point. When Agco bought  DA the owners KHD assumed all environmental issues - of which there were many.  Lead and lead paint buried was one we heard of.   Funny that the plant was OK unless bein sold THEN it was not ok...  govt at its finest...   
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 9:36pm
Randy,  Funny, this turned over a "rock" in my memory.  While we did not sell New Idea when we were selling Allis Chalmers Equipment - mid 30's to 1962 - New Idea was a known producer of agricultural equipment.  Always high quality.
I went to my library and MR SWINFORD's "The Proud Heritage of AGCO Tractors" looking for mention of New Idea.  As noted, this is primarily a tractor book not an implement book.  However, I do find mention of White New Idea in the book but no specifically New Idea equipment.
If I recall it was some of the better haying, corn picking, and manure handling equipment made.
Wish I could be more specific but besides memory it is gone.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Edited by Bill Long - 27 Nov 2016 at 9:38pm
DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:27pm
All of the Allis-Chalmers dealers I can remember were also New Idea dealers.  Probably part of the reason that you don't see a whole lot of Allis-Chalmers hay rakes and mowers and corn pickers and manure spreaders and such.  Even on our farm at home there are Allis-Chalmers tractor and tillage implements and Gleaner combines but there were  New Idea hay rakes and mowers and manure spreaders  and corn pickers.

Edited by DanD - 27 Nov 2016 at 10:29pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 11:40pm
My grandfather was allis chalmers and new idea dealer. That stinks agco dropped the name totally
Orange Tractors View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Tractors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 1:58am
My aunt bought a New Idea one row corn picker for either $1 or $1.50 at an auction in the late 1970's, Dad and I ended up towing it home for her, since her bumper had a ball mounted.

My cousin and I spent a few days and a tube or so of grease freeing it up, then he used it to pick corn for couple of years.

Robert
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 5:54pm
We used to run nothing but new idea corn pickers and manure spreaders. Stood up real well. Had a new idea fertilizer spreader also.
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:12pm
Dad sold New Idea along side Allis Chalmers.  I think their are some parts available through AGCO  Most likely parts that interchange with other equipment.   He sold a lot of UNI SYSTEMS hardly ever see any of them anymore.
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:50pm
New Idea was the only other equipment brand on our farm growing up ; manure spreader , hay conditioner , bale loader , corn picker . The local dealer was a Case dealer and close to our farm . My grandfather liked Allis but did not get along with local AC dealer so much .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:55pm
New Idea got the UNI-Systems from Minneapolis Moline, they called it UNI-HARVESTER.
I ran a 2 row corn picker, mounted on one, back in the early '60's.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 8:07pm
We have a uni 704 with the 401 gmc v6 and other than it being 2wd we love it. Would really like to find a 709 with the 426 Allis or a 708 with the perkins in 4wd.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 8:28pm
New Idea pickers are about the best made. The Coldwater plant is only about 60 miles away. Grandpa's dealership sold New Idea and New Holland along with A-C. The dealer he worked at after his closed sold New Idea too
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
jwal10 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwal10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 9:59pm
I bought a New Idea 5 wheel hay rake new in 1976 from Lehman Bros. They used to be a MM dealer west of Amity Oregon. They had a lot of MM. A bunch of the old MM Uni-farmers with all kind of equipment mounted. A Manure spreader, a baler, forage chopper and combines....James
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 10:26am
My Dad owned a NI manure speader. It was well built pto type & held up good. I think it had 8bolt hubs & 24" tires. I know us kids overloaded it often. Wet manure would squat its tires.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 11:41am
Neighbors that bought our dairy had the big UNI with the A-C 426. Said it was great until they had to change head systems as suddenly both hired hands would call-in sick. Took two men all day to change it over as they fully serviced the unit front to back at the same time.
They put plenty of crops up with the old gal as big operation, three Harvestore and three concrete stave silos.
New Idea was known as top shelf back then.
jwal10 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwal10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 8:47pm
Didn't New Idea build some of the IH haying equipment in the 70's....James
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

We have a uni 704 with the 401 gmc v6 and other than it being 2wd we love it. Would really like to find a 709 with the 426 Allis or a 708 with the perkins in 4wd.

The 803 A has the 607I engine in it, has the heavier, better crank and rods in it.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:14pm
There was an IH mower conditioner that used the same parts as my Hesston PT-10. I'm thinking the IH model was 495 but its been a long time since I know that was for sure.

Gerald J.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by NEVER green NEVER green wrote:

Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

The 803 A has the 607I engine in it, has the heavier, better crank and rods in it.
I'm sure you are right but the last 803a I saw for sale was a kind near 30k....I see 708/709for 5-10k depending on equipment
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 10:31pm
AGCO dropped the New Idea name completely? Nothing made New idea anymore? I thought they bought New Idea? Why would they buy it and then bury it??

Sorry, just hadn't heard this one before. I still run the New Idea Model 30B sickle mower and get the pitman sticks from AGCO. Funny they still make them.............
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:51am

AGCO catalog of cutting parts:

Catalog
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:43am
AGCO seems to be good at deserting their heritage in name. But I do believe their manure spreaders today are called Massey Ferguson and are based on the New Idea spreader. Please someone correct me if you know more or I'm wrong.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:54am
That's nice that they carry all those mower parts but can't carry any allis mower parts.
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 9:01am
New Idea bought out the IH hay line.  I had an uncle that worked there when the dies and tooling came in from International. Another thing to consider about the demise of the Coldwater plant is that AGCO didnt get it right away in 1991 when they bought White.  They didnt get New Idea and the Coldwater plant until 1993. 
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic