This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner L3 beans wrapping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:06am
Seems all these Gleaner flex heads have this issue. My 322 is no different. There’s a major design flaw here. It’s a full 2 feet between knife and auger there’s no reason it should be that far.
I even have the updated raised feathering sheets. I just put baler belting on my reel hanging an inch or so below reel fingers seems to help sweep them in. When in the tall beans it feeds like a dream but when in the 18” or less it’s a problem.
ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:24am
Get A 500 SERIES HEADER AS THAT GAP IS MUCH LESS.
PeteMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 7:20pm
We noticed that our reel drive chain was getting too loose and when we tightened up the chain it fed a lot more even.  We also had to tighten up the cylinder drive belt, too.  Things worked fine in the dry beans last year, but this year's green bean stems are a bugger.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 7:40pm
A couple years ago we had the cylinder drive belt brake during wheat harvest. It was a Sunday and dad went to the parts store and bought two generic belts to finish up. We ordered a belt from agco but by bean harvest I forgot about it. I fought green stem bens plugging the cylinder for the first 50 acres. It was miserable. Finally dad and I were talking and he reminded me about that belt. I changed it and haven’t had a problem since.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 7:50am
Originally posted by gleaner1 gleaner1 wrote:

Seems all these Gleaner flex heads have this issue. My 322 is no different. There’s a major design flaw here. It’s a full 2 feet between knife and auger there’s no reason it should be that far.
I even have the updated raised feathering sheets. I just put baler belting on my reel hanging an inch or so below reel fingers seems to help sweep them in. When in the tall beans it feeds like a dream but when in the 18” or less it’s a problem.
Besides moving the auger as far forward as you can and raising it 3/4" off bottom I did this.....I first had my belting (12" wide stuff staggered every other bat and over each row, means for my 15 foot in 30" rows it used 18 flaps) an inch below the reel teeth but found I needed to extend the flaps to about 3 inches past the reel teeth. I knocked on 3/4" lock washers every third of the way around the auger flighting. Takes a good vice grips and a good aim with a beefy hammer and it takes a little practice. They will never come off. I put 3" field drain tile (which measures about 3-1/2" outside diameter) behind my sickle using conduit clamps every couple feet and it flexes great with the head. And cut at an angle if you have to.

Oh and I went through and stripped the head down to get at all the ball joints, which many were rusted up. I wire brushed and oiled and greased everything up so the head flexed nicely which is also a big help in feeding and cutting even. And I clean under in that area thoroughly and oil it up before putting away under cover every year.

Edited by Lonn - 14 Nov 2019 at 7:53am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:38pm
Lonn I have basically the same set up as you described. I have noticed that if you do run a slug in from the end of the header the lock washers seem to grab part of the slug and carry it over the auger so that it’s not as bad when it hits the feeder beater.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 1:06pm
Yep and for me it turned a miserable job into mostly pleasure..... then came the R52 which I have done some things to to make it better but it was comparably a great pleasure to run from the start.... especially having the reverser. The 820 header needs just a couple of those tricks next.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Yep and for me it turned a miserable job into mostly pleasure..... then came the R52 which I have done some things to to make it better but it was comparably a great pleasure to run from the start.... especially having the reverser. The 820 header needs just a couple of those tricks next.

I have to agree completely. I plugged the feeder beater twice this year and both time I was in green butter beans where I knew better. Others than that I ran 200 acres of beans start to finish without incident.

We will be shopping for a R52/62 next year
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 1:38pm
First thing on an 800 series header is to make a slow-down drive sprocket for the 30 inch diameter auger. Unless they've slowed them down since the first ones made, they were toooooo fast. Same RPM as the 24 inch auger, but at 30 icnh diameter too fast. Another first year engineer graduate design.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 1:50pm
Not sure what year mine is..... 2001?
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 1:52pm
Lonn I’m curious if gleaners a plentiful in Russia
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 2:00pm
Looks like they started with 19 tooth #50 chain and then slowed it down to 17 tooth and then 16 tooth. It's been 20+ years but that sounds like about what I was making my sprocket into, a 15 or 16 tooth.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by wekracer wekracer wrote:

Lonn I’m curious if gleaners a plentiful in Russia
Oh yes Wink
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Looks like they started with 19 tooth #50 chain and then slowed it down to 17 tooth and then 16 tooth. It's been 20+ years but that sounds like about what I was making my sprocket into, a 15 or 16 tooth.
Thanks Dr
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic