This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner K, Pics and more Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 1:02am
if he did, then he's gonna hafta get a bigger truck to pull it!
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 8:18am
The paper sign has been in the combine since he bought it on an auction from the man who bought it new. I don't believe my uncle has ever used it.

Edited by Lonn - 21 Aug 2016 at 8:21am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:23am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Creston, did you get the trailer?
No I didn't. 
Surprisingly, it needed new tires all the way around, and some of the deck boards were rotten (couldn't tell from the photo). Even with that, it sold for not a whole lot less than a new one could be bought for.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:30am
Lonn, that really is a slick looking combine!!!

I just don't know about that cab.....When you're cutting wheat and it's 100+ degrees, even with the door and window open, you're in an oven! I had to do that for a while in an M2 this summer before we could get the A/C charged. Whew!
jorstad brothers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorstad brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:36am
take the cab off its not hard.
remember plunder than burn
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:42am
There is that idea....
Then there's the problem of getting it here, without breaking the bank in shipping.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:58am
I would rather deal with the heat than the dust, ran C2 with and without cab, just my experience.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 11:40am
Not down here you wouldnt!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Dmpaul89 Dmpaul89 wrote:

Not down here you wouldnt!
Yeah! 
And we're even further south than you are! 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 1:31pm
See, here's what ya do. Put a cab on it. buy a small gas powered portable generator and a window air conditioner and install it on the top of the cab!  (Only half serious) lol
It seems like the best prices for trailers is in the Texas-OK area, perhaps because so many are made there. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 2:38pm
take the winder glass out! that's a nice looking "K", looks just like mine!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 8:42pm
Does a K share many exterior parts (sprockets, pulleys, etc.) with a A, AII, F, C, or CII? I know Gleaners are know for their parts interchangeability, but I wanted to ask. 

Edited by CrestonM - 22 Aug 2016 at 8:42pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 7:34am
For those who may be interested in my uncle's K here are more photos

-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 9:09am
I've put some parts and some belts off my "G" combines to my "K".
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 9:10am
i'd hafta look again, but I think the unload auger is the same too
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:39am
Shameless (or anyone else), a while back you mentioned the variable speed sheaves could be stuck, thus causing the belt to snap. I drove the combine around, shifting through the gears, but I never could use the variable speed function because the reservoir was low on oil. I added some, and the header lift works, but I still haven't tried the variable speed. Could those sheaves (I guess mainly the driven one?) still be stuck? I think (not sure) you meant the sheaves could be stuck, and not spread apart/go back in, and that's what would snap the belt. Is that right? 

I ask because I'm going to make an offer on the combine, and hopefully he accepts my offer. If he does, I'll clean the gas tank this weekend, then next week I'll drive it about 20 miles to a buddy of mine's ranch, where he said I can leave it as long as I need to, and I can come work on it whenever. If all this plays out like I hope it does, I'll need the variable speed to road it (or else I will have to go in 3rd gear's lowest speed all the way) and I'm almost afraid to try adjusting the speed if the belt could snap from stuck sheaves. 

Thanks

Edited by CrestonM - 25 Aug 2016 at 8:53am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:19pm
it would be the lower sheave that would stick, the upper is hyd adjusted, the lower just moves in and out when the belt tightens and loosens. so it has to move or when the belt tightens it will stretch beyond it's limits and grenade! make sure the resivor is full, then let the combine sit and run at high speed a few minutes. (before starting pump 2 squirts of grease in the bottom sheave. the zerk is under and behind the sheave) go ahead and drive it, and use the variable speed lever. if the belt scatters, it's still his combine! the price should get cheaper then! a new belt I think is around $136.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

it would be the lower sheave that would stick, the upper is hyd adjusted, the lower just moves in and out when the belt tightens and loosens. so it has to move or when the belt tightens it will stretch beyond it's limits and grenade! make sure the resivor is full, then let the combine sit and run at high speed a few minutes. (before starting pump 2 squirts of grease in the bottom sheave. the zerk is under and behind the sheave) go ahead and drive it, and use the variable speed lever. if the belt scatters, it's still his combine! the price should get cheaper then! a new belt I think is around $136.
Ok! I'll do that. I tried to find the zerk last week, but I guess I didn't look hard enough. Plus, I didn't know where to look. I looked in the manual, and it has a nice pic though so that should help. I'll try to grease it up good, and hope it takes grease! The top sheave zerk is rusted stuck, and the grease can't get in. Needs a new zerk. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:28pm
only pump in (2) pumps of the grease gun into each.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:28pm
Hey, real quick, I've done my homework, but does anyone have any good tips for bringing him down on price?
I'm going to tell him about all my "references" (All y'all smart A-C experts) that say it's only worth $200-$500, so hopefully that will help. 

Edited by CrestonM - 25 Aug 2016 at 1:29pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:29pm
replace the top zerk if you can
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:30pm

only pump in (2) pumps of the grease gun into each.
Will do.

I'll replace that top zerk before I go any distance.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:30pm
sometimes....a little money spent on your part on someone elses machine will save you lots of $$$$$
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:31pm

sometimes....a little money spent on your part on someone elses machine will save you lots of $$$$$
I know what you're getting at!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:22pm
Well I talked to the guy this afternoon, and he refused my offer of $500, so the combine will continue to sit I guess. He had to call his uncle who owns 1/4 of it. (He owns half, his uncle owns 1/4, and his mom owns 1/4). His uncle said no. Oh well. 
As a side note, he did tell his uncle on the phone (he walked about 80' away so I couldn't hear him, but didn't work.) He said they could sell the nice low hour (How does he know?) Chevy engine to put in a car, and scrap the rest and get $500.
He then told me they would leave the Craigslist ad up for a while, and if they changed their mind, he would call me. 
Only time will tell! 

Oh, the variable speed does work, btw. The sheaves were not frozen, and the belt didn't bust. 

Edited by CrestonM - 25 Aug 2016 at 5:23pm
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:28pm
Yeah... cause everyone wants a 70hp engine in their car lol.

Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:29pm
Ok guys lets help Creston out. Let's all call the add and offer $100

Edited by Dmpaul89 - 25 Aug 2016 at 5:29pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:32pm

Yeah... cause everyone wants a 70hp engine in their car lol.

That's a good point!! Can't believe I didn't think to tell him that! Duh!!!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:36pm

Ok guys lets help Creston out. Let's all call the add and offer $100
Thanks! 
Lol!
I know they'll never get $1,000 for it. Never. Not for the shape it's in. The ad says its great, runs greased all zerks, lubed chains, pressure washed, etc, etc.(Which is not true) Also says (key word!) field ready!! Uh...no.....
Maybe if it was all the things the ad says it was, I'd give $1,000.
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 6:41pm
Creston - If he's still advertising it that way, he's dishonest and I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone.   Better than us all call in $100 offers, we all just need to flag it off Craigslist every time they post it.  Put the last link up and we can fire away!  LOL  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic