This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner K, Pics and more Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Dmpaul89 Dmpaul89 wrote:

You guys sure it can't just be put in nuetral?? And use a dolly? It's just a gear transmission
That's what I would've thought.
Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Your so famous there is a Creston Calif as well. I also vote you haul it.
Wow! 
It's on my bucket list to visit all the "Crestons" I can find.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 10:37pm
I  tried to pull one of my E's backwards, one wheel spinned the other direction. I too thought its just a gear jammer, put it in neutral. Didn't work. Pulled on grass about 50 feet and it was o.k. then hit gravel...bang...twisted the axle. Welded it in place, if I had to do it again I would have fabbed up a coupler like on the newer combines. I'd trailer it, Trev. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by TREVMAN TREVMAN wrote:

I  tried to pull one of my E's backwards, one wheel spinned the other direction. I too thought its just a gear jammer, put it in neutral. Didn't work. Pulled on grass about 50 feet and it was o.k. then hit gravel...bang...twisted the axle. Welded it in place, if I had to do it again I would have fabbed up a coupler like on the newer combines. I'd trailer it, Trev. 
Well that's no good!! 
So in other words, the only proper way to move it is by driving it. It wasn't designed to be towed. 
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 11:06pm
find a dude that has a trailer made to haul them big self propelled sprayers, or those swathers, those pull behind a pickup good.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:41am
just to burst yer bubble a little....an N6 combine with 27 ft header and a header trailer just sold in OK.....for $2200. you could have paid for that combine with the first custom job prolly! whew!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

just to burst yer bubble a little....an N6 combine with 27 ft header and a header trailer just sold in OK.....for $2200. you could have paid for that combine with the first custom job prolly! whew!

Was there anything wrong with it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:56am
nope
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:09am
Well that makes me about sick....
Like the $250 7040....

Where did it sell at?

Edited by CrestonM - 18 Aug 2016 at 8:10am
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:46pm
Well I drove the combine today. I drove it around, but there are 3 problems. 
1. Header will not raise/lower.
2. Variable speed does not work. (still drives good in all gears, but can't vary speed within the gears)
3. Separator will not engage. Is that some kind of a clutch? It seems like it's stuck. It just lugs the engine down and nothing moves. 

Pics to come!!

Also...S/N is 3511, making it a first year 1969!

Edited by CrestonM - 18 Aug 2016 at 6:52pm
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Well I drove the combine today. I drove it around, but there are 3 problems. 
1. Header will not raise/lower.
2. Variable speed does not work. (still drives good in all gears, but can't vary speed within the gears)
3. Separator will not engage. Is that some kind of a clutch? It seems like it's stuck. It just lugs the engine down and nothing moves. 

Pics to come!!

Also...S/N is 3511, making it a first year 1969!

It sounds like the hydraulic valves that operate the header & variable speed may have frozen up from sitting idle too long. This is a common issue. When the machine is operated, the hydraulic system builds up heat. When the machine is shut down, it cools down. In colder late season harvests, a more rapid cool down allows for larger condensation to accumulate inside hydraulics(valves, reservoir, pump, etc). This condensation moisture can freeze up & crack valves, ruin seals, plus simply corrode components.
Try unhooking the hydraulic valve's control rods at valve plunger, then using some spray lubricant, a hammer, & a channel lock, tap& pry valve plunger in & out, until it moves freely. Re-install each control rod & try it. On a 1969 model K, these hydraulic valve bodies may be positioned back under engine radiator by hydraulic pump assy or they may be up under operators console right below levers?

The separator clutch issue is also a common thing from sitting idle too long. Sometimes the rattle chain will be rusted in position? There is a rattle chain clean out access panel up under cylinder throat that should be opened & cleaned of grain, chaff, dirt, etc at the end of each season. This area also allows access to the rattle chain's idler pulleys. Lift header to aid removal of this access panel. Also check that all rotating items(augers, elevators, walkers, fans, etc move freely. If separator clutch is held by any frozen up items & engines pulls down long enough it may smoke the clutch linings and/or burn up the main drive belt.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

It sounds like the hydraulic valves that operate the header & variable speed may have frozen up from sitting idle too long. This is a common issue. When the machine is operated, the hydraulic system builds up heat. When the machine is shut down, it cools down. In colder late season harvests, a more rapid cool down allows for larger condensation to accumulate inside hydraulics(valves, reservoir, pump, etc). This condensation moisture can freeze up & crack valves, ruin seals, plus simply corrode components.
Try unhooking the hydraulic valve's control rods at valve plunger, then using some spray lubricant, a hammer, & a channel lock, tap& pry valve plunger in & out, until it moves freely. Re-install each control rod & try it. On a 1969 model K, these hydraulic valve bodies may be positioned back under engine radiator by hydraulic pump assy or they may be up under operators console right below levers?

The separator clutch issue is also a common thing from sitting idle too long. Sometimes the rattle chain will be rusted in position? There is a rattle chain clean out access panel up under cylinder throat that should be opened & cleaned of grain, chaff, dirt, etc at the end of each season. This area also allows access to the rattle chain's idler pulleys. Lift header to aid removal of this access panel. Also check that all rotating items(augers, elevators, walkers, fans, etc move freely. If separator clutch is held by any frozen up items & engines pulls down long enough it may smoke the clutch linings and/or burn up the main drive belt.

The valve plungers DO move freely as of right now, but nothing happens. They are located where you said, back by the hydraulic pump.

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:04pm
Ok. Hydraulic valves need to move a full range in each direction. Also, engine needs to be running at high idle. Hydraulics will not work or be sluggish at medium rpms.
If those all check out, then start looking for some hydraulic flow issue ( reservoir low on hydraulic ATF, hydraulic filter clogged, hydraulic siphon hose flacked off inside & clogged, hydraulic pump belt not tight, crankshaft belts that drive pto shaft may be slipping, hydraulic flow control valve blockage or bad, hydraulic pump may be bad)???

Good luck. Depending on your findings, the $1000 sell price may be lowering...
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:08pm
I'll check those things probably next week. Next Thursday is as soon as I could go back, as my college classes are my first priority (I only have one class on Thursday, though, so that's kinda my "free day" Big smile)

Also, how should I free up the separator clutch?

Edited by CrestonM - 18 Aug 2016 at 9:09pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:45pm
Here is 1 pic so far. More are on the way, as well as a video.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:48pm
Didn't dude say "field ready"? All those things can be dealt with, but I'd take $500 cash and not pay much more. Neat little combine but just like my 2 E's, there is very little demand/interest in a machine that size. Trev.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:49pm

TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:53pm
Looked at your post again...If you don't have header movement or variable speed, I wonder if you have any hydro power at all...Maybe just low on oil, Trev.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:54pm

Looked at your post again...If you don't have header movement or variable speed, I wonder if you have any hydro power at all...Maybe just low on oil, Trev.
I'm hoping that's all it is. 
What is type A transmission oil? ATF?

Edited by CrestonM - 18 Aug 2016 at 9:55pm
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:55pm
I agree - I wouldn't give over $500 either.   I only paid $600 for my EIII (one year older than that K) and it was in better shape, has a cab and 10' rigid head.   Been using it for 8 years now.   Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:57pm

Didn't dude say "field ready"? All those things can be dealt with, but I'd take $500 cash and not pay much more. Neat little combine but just like my 2 E's, there is very little demand/interest in a machine that size. Trev.
Yeah, I'm thinking that too. 
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:12pm
I'm gonna say that I think your separator wont engage because from the pics it looks like your chains are rusted in place...wow are they ever crispy. You are probably going to have to take those off, soak them in diesel or just replace them. I pulled an E out of a pond 6 years ago had been there since 1988, when I tried to engage the separator the engine stalled out. I soaked all the chains with diesel once  a day for a weak, then poured atf on them. The engine then pulled the separator, but it was a grunt for a while. I took all the chains off, labelled them and let them soak in diesel over winter in the shop. Put them back on, slathered them in grease and they all still work. I do not have a shed so I slather the chains in grease after I am done fooling around with it in fall. Hope this helps, Trev.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:25pm
Surprisingly the chains have some wiggle to them. I'm going to spray them and then brush thick oil on them and see what happens. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:42pm
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch??v=G9pwynv_1Fc

[TUBE]?v=G9pwynv_1Fc[/TUBE]
A little drive around video.

Edited by CrestonM - 18 Aug 2016 at 10:43pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 2:06am
looks to me like you were driving around looking for a place to get stuck? and that thing is NOT field ready, looking at the pics, it has sat along time, prolly both inside and outside. when I bought my "K" 15 years ago, it was on a dealers lot on consignment, paid $1500. it with all new tires, bearings, belts, chains, a 13 ft floating cutter bar with hume reel, and a 238 orange corn head. delivered! it is still not a bad looking combine, and with some TLC can be re-born again! I would not pay $1000. for this machine. $500 at the very most.  
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 6:55am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

looks to me like you were driving around looking for a place to get stuck? and that thing is NOT field ready, looking at the pics, it has sat along time, prolly both inside and outside. when I bought my "K" 15 years ago, it was on a dealers lot on consignment, paid $1500. it with all new tires, bearings, belts, chains, a 13 ft floating cutter bar with hume reel, and a 238 orange corn head. delivered! it is still not a bad looking combine, and with some TLC can be re-born again! I would not pay $1000. for this machine. $500 at the very most.  

No, it's not field ready. The owner knows nothing about it or farming, so go figure. 
I might offer him $500, and if he says "Ok", then great. If he doesn't, I'll just move on. Simple as that! Besides, Mom and Dad don't like it anyway. Seems whenever I find a non-running Super 100, they don't like it because it "needs tires and doesn't even run". But this one does!......???   This was kinda funny....Mom also tells me I need to stop buying other stuff and save my money for a Gleaner (This is a Gleaner, right?) Well when I showed her the photos she said that wasn't what she meant. Apparently she meant a shiny big new one! Lol

Edited by CrestonM - 19 Aug 2016 at 6:58am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:06am
My uncle has a cherry low houred late model K for sale. $2,000 would take it. Otherwise it will be at the Hamilton Auction in Dexter MN the 27th of August. I would have snapped it up myself but don't have the shed room. It's really too nice not to have under cover.

On edit I think the sale is actually Labor Day

Edited by Lonn - 19 Aug 2016 at 10:06am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
jorstad brothers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorstad brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:10am
save your 500 for a better one. there are a lot of gleaners out there in buildings.  waiting for some love.
remember plunder than burn
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:24am
I don't mind working on it to get it running. What would you guys say it's worth? I'm getting the feeling $500 is too much, based on what several people have said.

Edited by CrestonM - 19 Aug 2016 at 7:25am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:37am
I am told scrap is $100 a ton at local yard right now. And I wouldn't give that but if you are looking for a project then it's better than buying a rusted tractor that been sitting outside for 40 years and restoring that. And plenty of people do exactly that. It's in the eye of the beholder. It you really want it, what's $500 bucks and some belts and chains. Some people drink that up in the local bar in a couple months. I've never seen a cabless K BTW.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic