This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner K, Pics and more Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Joe(OH) Joe(OH) wrote:

One thing that I see is that this combine is not set up for reel control.  There should be a second lever like the variable speed/header height lever that is for the reel height and speed. 

That was optional.  Other way was to adjust reel speed by moving the belt to different pulleys on the left side of the header and to adjust reel height using turnbuckles on each end (similar to a 3 point toplink).   That's how my 10 foot rigid head works.   Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Skyhighballoon(MO) Skyhighballoon(MO) wrote:

Originally posted by Joe(OH) Joe(OH) wrote:

One thing that I see is that this combine is not set up for reel control.  There should be a second lever like the variable speed/header height lever that is for the reel height and speed. 

That was optional.  Other way was to adjust reel speed by moving the belt to different pulleys on the left side of the header and to adjust reel height using turnbuckles on each end (similar to a 3 point toplink).   That's how my 10 foot rigid head works.   Mike
So I'd probably need to find those turnbuckles if it doesn't have them already. All things I need to find out when I go to see it. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:35pm
Can anyone with a K operator's manual tell me what it says the top speed is? I've heard mixed reviews, some saying as low as 11mph and others as high as 17mph, and I am just wondering what the book says. 
Also, if anyone can tell me how many gallons the gas tank holds, and how long a tank lasts at full throttle (like while combining)
Thanks!

Edited by CrestonM - 16 Aug 2016 at 5:42pm
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:09pm
If it's like my F you'll have a hard time keeping it running on 5 gallon cans lol. I had bout 5 of them and man! Takes forever to fill with these newer "safety nozzel" cans that don't vent. Talk about frustrating sitting up there next to a hot engine..... up and down both ladders.... wore me out for a while

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Can anyone with a K operator's manual tell me what it says the top speed is? I've heard mixed reviews, some saying as low as 11mph and others as high as 17mph, and I am just wondering what the book says. 
Also, if anyone can tell me how many gallons the gas tank holds, and how long a tank lasts at full throttle (like while combining)
Thanks!

What's the serial number of machine? Look for serial number plate on rear left side, above & just forward of rear steer wheel. Starting Serial number by year:
1969 - 1001, 32 gallon fuel tank
1970 - 5001,
1971 - 8201,
1972 - 12201,
1973 - 14601, 52 gallon fuel tank
1974 - 17001,
1975 - 19401,
1976 - 21801.

Standard drive tire 14.9-26. Optional 16.9-26 & 18.4-26.
mph:        14.9-26     18.4-26
1st gear   0.9-2.3,     1.0-2.6,
2nd gear 2.2-5.7,     2.4-6.2,
3rd gear   5.5-14.0.   5.9-15.4

Width with standard tires = 90".
Height = 105.25".
Weight = 7085lbs.

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:56pm
No idea what Fuel usage while driving machine should be?
GM250 6 cylinder engine specs:
Low idle 500-550 rpm,
High idle 2270-2310 rpm,
Compression 8.5-1.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:59pm
Thanks. The guy says it's a 1971, but I'll double check. 
I guess the ideal thing to do would be rent a trailer and haul it, but I don't have a gooseneck hitch, and I bet there's no place that rents an 8' deck bumper pull.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:15pm
Check out this past thread about my k2's GM250 fuel usage cutting beans. I harvested 33 acres in 10 hours and used just under 46 gallon of gasoline. Doing the math, it burned 4.6 gal/hr & travelled roughly 25 miles @ 2.5mph harvest speed. So for argument sake, say it pulled the same load, but instead averaged a harvest speed of 12 mph. It would have travelled 120 miles in 10 hours using 46 gallon gas. Ideally then, this K's 32 gallon tank should go at least 83.5 miles @ 4.6 gallons per hour usage going 12mph. Since it would just be road driving, I doubt very much it would use that much gas?? Only way you're going know is to just try it. It can easily fit into most gas stations for refueling. I imagine without any trouble, you could make your 150 miles in one long day (15-16hrs)?? Best of luck.

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98154&title=soybeans-cut-per-day
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

..................... It can easily fit into most gas stations for refueling. I imagine without any trouble, ...................

And when you do.....I want pictures, of all the City folk gawking!!
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:52pm
Actually, when I was combining milo last fall, there was a gas station literally right beside the field (Farming in town has its advantages) and my B needed gas, so I shut the PTO off and drove the B and 60A into the station! Got a lot of looks, but no pics.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:01pm
I have no problem taking a Saturday off to drive it the distance, but I'm a little worried if something broke, what would I do then, in the middle of nowhere? Say the V-belt drive belt snaps, or something else, and I'm stranded. Can you tow these combines without taking stuff apart? I know there is a sticker in the cab of our L3 that says you have disconnect something on the L2,3/M2,3/F2,3 combines to tow them, but not the K2. 

Edited by CrestonM - 16 Aug 2016 at 9:02pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:49pm
Here's the link to the ad for the combine. 
jorstad brothers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorstad brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:43pm
what is that hit and miss engine next to it. Deere? mabey
remember plunder than burn
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:06pm
I don't know.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:46pm
holy bobcat Dixie! there ain't no cab on it! that's the first one I've seen without a cab! whew! I see the sickle guards are there, check to see if the pitman drive is still on the head. should be able to just dis-mount the other pickup head and add the sickle like you said. make sure you pump two (2) pumps of grease in the lower drive sheave. it might be stuck from sitting (normal) and if you run it, it'll blow that belt into all kinds of pieces, and the last one I bought was $193.00. looks like the original gas tank has been replaced. it should be an oval tank the same width as the threshing part of the machine. pick a rainy day to drive it home, and it'll help wash the dust off as you go! I also don't think it's a '71 model either! think it's older. and if you build a header trailer out of a wagon gear, make sure the wheels of the gear are spaced wider than the header is, otherwise you can't get close enough to unhook it onto the trailer.   
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 6:52am
Header trailer???? For this little ol' thing????
We don't even have a header trailer for our L3! And it has a 24' header! We just road it everywhere! This summer I was working for a friend, and we were using an L3 and M2, both with 24' headers. We took them both down a 2 lane highway, and passed cars and semi-trucks no problem! 

No, there's no cab (which I like), and like you said, they're not too common without them. I've only seen one other without a cab, and that's on tractorhouse. 

They guy said after he posted that ad, he pulled it out, washed it off, and greased everything and oiled the chains, so  it should be good, but I'll double check.

As to the header, yes, I'm hoping I can find a sickle and reel, and  hopefully everything will work without too much trouble. Will a reel from a C/C2/G attach to the header, if I cut it shorter? Or are the mounting brackets different? If they are, I could probably figure something out. That's what farmers do, right?? LOL

Edited by CrestonM - 17 Aug 2016 at 6:54am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:27am
if you tow it. you slide the tranny conectors off that connect the tranny shaft to the final drive shaft.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:31am
I thought you said you wanted to take the head off to drive it home?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:55am
No, that would be for trailering maybe, but since farm equipment is exempt from permits in Oklahoma, I'd just need flags and wide load signs. 
Pete from IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete from IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 12:53pm
My Dad bought a K at an estate auction years ago and on the drive home the hydraulic pump went out. Oil all over the place but it did not affect the steering. Just a mechanical steering box on that one. Don't you have a friend with a trailer? 
 On another topic, I drove through the town of Creston , Indiana yesterday . Very small town in NW Indiana.  I thought of you right away. Next time I go through there I will get a picture of the town sign.  Pete
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

if you tow it. you slide the tranny conectors off that connect the tranny shaft to the final drive shaft.  

This can not be done on the older K. It has solid axles from Trans to Final drives. Gleaner did not offer this nice feature (axle couplers) until the 1978 K2 machines. Yes, even the 1977 K2 short back has solid axles too. Maybe the older bigger machines (F, G, L, &M) did offer axle couplers - I'm not sure about them?
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:33pm
As seen in this picture, the Gleaner K's solid axle shafts extend inside the transmission & outside to final drives. There are no axle couplers. The solid axles are splined where the axle brake drums, which are also splined to mate the axle, are positioned. The final drives have a small brake housing bolted to them that house the brake pads, pistons, springs, & etc.   
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Pete from IL Pete from IL wrote:

My Dad bought a K at an estate auction years ago and on the drive home the hydraulic pump went out. Oil all over the place but it did not affect the steering. Just a mechanical steering box on that one. Don't you have a friend with a trailer? 
 On another topic, I drove through the town of Creston , Indiana yesterday . Very small town in NW Indiana.  I thought of you right away. Next time I go through there I will get a picture of the town sign.  Pete

What happened after the pump went out? Did the header drop? Or did the pump just go out? Did he just keep driving?

So there's a Creston, Indiana too, eh? I've been to Creston, Iowa and Creston, Nebraska. I've heard there's a Creston, Saskatchewan too. 
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 4:57pm
header shouldn't drop if pump goes out unless the cylinders leak
Pete from IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete from IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 6:42pm
No the header didn't drop.  He did not even know there was a problem until he got home and the side of the combine was covered with oil.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:09pm
Interesting. So how do you tow it if it doesn't have an axle coupler? 
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:35pm
Have to cut the axle and weld up after, but don't do that. Rent a trailer for a day and borrow a proper 1 ton truck and trailer it home. Flag the header and wide load sign the back. I hauled an E with 13 foot head, which is the fore runner of the K and very similar 200 miles one way about  9 hours/trip. Once you get it home you can run it, find any issues, hoses leaking, rad leaking, tires that are rotten, the sort of things that one can expect from a partially shedded 45 year old machine. Then at least you are not on the side of the road where it is dangerous to begin with trying to fix something without access to many tools you have at home, and its getting dark and there is a million bugs etc.. Maybe ask  the seller if the reel and any other cutting parts are around? Good luck, nice little combine, Trev.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:20pm
Thanks. I really think trailering would be the thing to do, but I'm having trouble finding a trailer. 
When I go see it, I'll ask about the other header parts.
Thanks
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:34pm
Your so famous there is a Creston Calif as well. I also vote you haul it.
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:37pm
You guys sure it can't just be put in nuetral?? And use a dolly? It's just a gear transmission
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic