This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sleeve Wall thickness?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lunker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleeve Wall thickness?
    Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 1:08pm
How thin can a person dare go on the sleeve wall thickness? I am using JD 4020 sleeves and plan on a 10:1 comp ratio!
Thanks, Lunker
Sponsored Links

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:37am
.093 if hardblocked with no water trying to be run in block .
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 2:08pm
Lunker,
I cannot claim to have enough knowledge to recommend the thickness to stop at. But I can recommend you look at someone's previous posts before taking their advise.
JimD
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by JimD JimD wrote:

Lunker,
I cannot claim to have enough knowledge to recommend the thickness to stop at. But I can recommend you look at someone's previous posts before taking their advise.
JimD

CoolCoolCool 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 2:55pm
just research thin wall sleeve thickness from melling ,la sleeve or darton and make your own opinion. its not the compression as much as it is the diameter of sleeve and steam pockets from water not flowing  pushing inward on the sleeve . i fix alot of sleeve issues on blocks where sleeve is to thin and they tried to run water. we heat the block once sleeves has been installed several cycles untill the sleeve drop has topped.  The block we are repairing now number three sleeve had fallen 1/4 inch below deck when we got it. i am the most ignorant builder there is andi repair alot of others work so what does that say about them. lol 

Edited by mlpankey - 17 Jul 2013 at 3:07pm
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:38pm
I can say this with a great deal of confidence: If you use L.A. Sleeve or Darton minimum thickness specs on 4020 sleeve material you will have trouble. The material used for a John Deere sleeve is not the same or nearly as strong as the ductile material used at you high performance sleeve manufacturers.

Good ductile sleeves aren't too badly priced if you know where to shop. If you consider the machine time and money spent on making the John Deere sleeves fit you could pay for a good portion of the new, higher strength ductile sleeves and have a much better build in the long run.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 6:16pm
A sleeve from a diesel is typically induction hardened.  This is done to prevent wear, your old sleeves from a gas engine like the Allis are wore out verry quick, they are made from soft grey iron.

The sleeves from a custom sleeve manufacturer are going to be made from a spun casting, they are either made from ductile or grey iron.  Ductile is much better and only slightly more $$, it will depend on the length of the sleeves, how many they can make from a casting and how many you are ordering.  But you can figure on $125 per hole by the time you have them in your hand, maybe more, maybe less.

Those John Deere sleeves are just fine, they will wear a long time and in a naturally aspirated gas engine they will hold up just fine.  But don't take someone's advice by following minimum reccomondations for a custom made ductile iron sleeve, the John Deere will not have near the elasticity.

I'm pretty "resourcefull" on these old engines and use a lot of used liners from diesels, turned to size on mandrills and bore the block, but I don't try to get away with running them to thin or following minium thickness requirements for another totally different sleeve.  When there's snow on the ground and I'm tinkering on one of the antique engines my time isn't worth to much, a few carbide inserts are cheap and used JD sleeves are free...... If I'm busy though and something needs to get done, then I have more money than time.

Do I know how thin you can go with them?  No, that's going to depend on your rod ratio, how well you can fill the cylinders and timeing.  You can't fill the cylinders to well on these antique engines, it's probably not going to run fast, but I'd stay around .125" for a min sleeve thickness as a matter of personal opinion backed by experience and others experiences and failures.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 6:35pm
I should add that I don't like to use HardBlock.  It's grout based and will wick water.  It's also hard on tooling.

Competition Products out of Oshkosh Wi. sells a product called RokBlock, it's fiber based and seals, it cuts easy if you ever go back and change things. 
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:29pm
Lets see a pic of a sleeve sunk down 1/4" . If it moved that far, obviously someone didnt know how to bore. Sleeves are held in either by the flange on top or by a step on the bottom. If it moved very far, and much less than the afore mentioned 1/4" , I find it difficult to see how it didnt get shucked down into the rotating assembly.  If someone just pressed it into an existing sleeve, they werent too smart to begin with, and its showing.

I think the if in fact it DID sink 1/4 inch, it would be broken. Either way, the sinking is just the byproduct of a FUBAR bore job.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 8:56am
Sleeves will sink some no matter. To sink as much as that one did it was obviously installed on not enough of a square step. Interference fit technically according to sleeve manufacturers is what holds the sleeve. We have it fixed at the bottom now no step no weld no flange.

Edited by mlpankey - 18 Jul 2013 at 8:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic