This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ignition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 7:54pm
29 post on this subject and 17 by the rob  and ml show sorry mufflerboltz this happens with these two all the time and it was a good topic start a new thread and let them have this one  its a da**  CryCryCry they cant see how frustrating it is
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Sponsored Links

Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

every distributor cap wouldnt have the brown residue from plasma in it just the ones  sending several joules to the plug and you dont need that unless your running high compression ratios.

not sure i understand...how do you have extra spark energy? the spark will just get fatter and brighter blue any why would this "extra" energy end up in the cap? unneeded maybe but i can't see extra
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 8:12pm
mrgoodwrench  the way i was told a coil will built only
to the point it need to jump the gap in the cap or plug
(plug wire ) no matter how big the coil is .  to make more
fire you need to open up the plug gap.
IMHP
 B:)      Dnoym
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 7:35pm
Yep the higher energy ignition systems require a larger cap with a wider area between post to keep from cross firing. I am certain the penny pinchers at gm and ford would have not let the engineer waste the material it takes to manufacture the large hei caps if the small caps would have worked seeing you could make three small caps out of the material one hei cap takes
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Yep the higher energy ignition systems require a larger cap with a wider area between post to keep from cross firing. I am certain the penny pinchers at gm and ford would have not let the engineer waste the material it takes to manufacture the large hei caps if the small caps would have worked seeing you could make three small caps out of the material one hei cap takes
capacitive discharge systems hit the primary coil with 500 plus volts so the secondary increases voltage to

Edited by mlpankey - 01 Nov 2012 at 8:07pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 8:52pm
still don't understand the "brown residue" you're talking about from the added energy. the larger cap is needed to keep from crossfireing  i get that but if the residue is caused by more than needed energy then every 70's hei engine would show it with something like 8:1 and 30,000-50,000v coils 
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 6:34am
When a electrical arc occurs in free air space the air around the arc is turn to plasma , its a miniture plasma fireball under the cap as one would see on a larger three phase electrical scale when a electrician causes a arc flash in a cabinet that burns three or four electricians in the room around him . Its not caused by needing more energy . Its created by having more energy for the arc to jump a larger gap a msd 6  box on a 10.1 cr can jump a 1/8 inch gap at the plug and without the compression under the distributor cap (free air)it can jump even a larger gap so when you increase the energy the distributor cap size and terminal spacing needs to be increased and a vent in the cap needs to be free of deposits to release the plasma if its occuring if it has one if it dont one will need to make a vent. Go to some local racing event dirt track drag race etc . look at the ignition boxes and distributors and caps . ask why they are running a msd ford cap adapt with adjustable index rotor button.  some will probably say cause everyone else is . monkey see monkey do but for the lead monkey he will have a legitimate reason.

Edited by mlpankey - 02 Nov 2012 at 7:03am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 8:28am
I'm going to point out a few things so far overlooked in this topic of HEI ignition. Pankey says to go ahead and use one, but does not say anything about being careful with the timeing of it. He also blew his engine up within 5 runs on the track under load.

What he forgot to do himself or give in his advice to use one is that it's a quick way to over advance the spark curve causeing detonation and bent rods. Lock the vac advance out but compare the cent. mechanism to that of what the OEM has and by setting the static timeing correct the engine will go to far advanced.

Onto more pank drama. But I want you new mwmbers to be aware of potential problems. Some of you should search the archives for a thread from last winter callde Crossbreading by wi50 if you really want to see something.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 9:51am
 Rod doesnt point out anything . He doesnt know anything about my engines or any pulling engines. He is a spectator . As for advance I didnt have any mechanical or vacuum it was electronic.  The beauty of a pulling forum is for pullers to tell and show what they have experienced to make fellow allis team pullers and their shelf more competitive. You will see post with rods sticking out of blocks  ,turbos entire blocks ran over by the rear wheels etc.  Pullers know that in the quest to win parts get took to the breaking point. Spectators in the cheap seats look for engine or component problems as a way to bash the rivals of the puller they are fans of. Plain and simple.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:15am
You finaly admitted as to why you are so jealous of wi50. Go read the crossbreading thread again for yourself pankey and see just how many told you the same thing.

Where's your pulling video you promised us? How many years have you been sitting in the stands and how many more to come?

Take it all with a grain of salt, I'm only demonstrating the same things you do to others.

Edited by Rod B - 02 Nov 2012 at 10:24am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 5:18pm

I havent been in the stands at tractor pulls and my tractor when i pull it makes more than appearances at one goto

WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 5:33pm
Post the pictures and video . Us new to the form wanna see. Wi 50 has pics and Charlie 175 has lots of pics. They both impress me . In fact I would like to see your ignition set up ! Pic?
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 10:46am
They are already on the forum in the archives. I can repost but it would be repetitive.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 11:41am
If you cannot post the pictures you full of $ hit. !! If I'm looking for advice why would I believe you??? I have nothing to brag about but only trying to learn this great sport . I go to this form to learn and we have to listen to your garbage fighting with fellow pullers. Repetitive is consistant . Post ur pics and prove me wrong .
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 1:34pm
Pictures are in photobucket under pankeyc.i am away and on my phone. There is also a hei a msd 6 box and blaster two that i posted in the classifieds. I run a msd 7box and hv coil with a p1000 pontiac hei modified from a computer controlled p1000 so theres no advance in the disrributmor. Distributor is locked at total timming with msd two step pulling timing if needed.

Edited by mlpankey - 03 Nov 2012 at 1:35pm
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 6:10pm
Thanks Pank when I get home I will check this photobucket and your Allis creation.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 5:36pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 6:26pm
Where can we see that hideous plumbing run in person?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 7:53pm
Rod you know that in the archives when picture first posted that plumbing was temporary function trial. After all some was saying the oil pump would blow the oil filter off but it didnt. Its good to have extra oil pressure when doing a competition clearance setup. Dry sump is the only way to go on a rpm turning stroker you wouldnt believe how it scares individuals.

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Nov 2012 at 7:57pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 8:07pm
hey rod its an old pic who says it runs now
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 8:14pm
I know and he avoided my question as to where we can see it run.

His RPM turning stroker was governed at 3000 before someone showed all of us how to turn one hard.

Guy is full of bs.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 7:23am
Wild Bill I posted a few pictures again on a few various topics from pulling to farming forum. I wonder when your going to put the challenge out there for Rod to post some. I would like to see some of this mystery pullers pictures as long as they are not from the wi rainbow fan club meetings .If i wanted to see drag i just get on some marti gra louisina fifth quarter site.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 8:24am
Last excuse for the hideous plumbing was for drain back. This time for pressure. But it's a stock base which accepts many common filters. Pressure argument is pointless, excesive pressure is only wasted power. With those wide berrings less pressure is needed, they have enough drag the way it is.

Couldn't be much of a stroker with straight cap rods either and a stock oil pan to clear.

Just how excessive of an rpm machine can it be with no safety equipment?

Experience and truth are powerfull allies
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 8:33am

drain back occurs in the block and head through the oil ports and gallies . daha . since your not familar with a 226 oil system . the oil pump takes suction from a pickup tube and screen located as close to the bottom of oil pan without touching the oilpan flows through the pump outside the block through the filter and back into locations on the side of the block  where the oil drain oils inside the head and block allow it to drain back to the oil pan. the differences on the one in the picture is it flows from the pump to a two quart cooler out of the cooler to th e filter then into the original side locations on the block and head  then through the original internal locations to drain back into pan. Hope this helps you become a better bs.

Edited by mlpankey - 05 Nov 2012 at 8:42am
D21Puller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D21Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 6:23pm
Heres some pics of the ignition system we are running, distributor is from a 2.3 litre ford engine commonly used in rangers and mustangs. Pretty simple turned outer housing down in my old lathe then shortened shaft slid gear on and drilled new hole for the roll pin. Then used some wiring from donor vehicle and the ford box. A msd box could just have easily been installed, but we had the ford one. Did away with the vaccum advance and installed light springs on mechanical advance so they would open up sooner. Waaaaayy better than the fairbanks morse mag that was on there. Wc block, 45 crank, flat top pistons, bigger valves in the head.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 6:44pm
Funny you posted that . Was looking at my old engine that was in my mini mod circle track car which was 2.3 . Guess you have that figured out. Nice post d21 puller. Thanks for pic I may contact you for specs . :-)
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 7:01pm
D21 its the same to make the hei work. Just dont have to have the box unless your wanting more spark.   The allis 226 flat cylinder head and flat crank is the automotive rage for 2012/13 but some try to reinvent it to the 80s instead of things that need to be upgraded to the, 980s like ignitions.

Edited by mlpankey - 05 Nov 2012 at 7:03pm
D21Puller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D21Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 7:27pm
Those parts were laying around the shed, really have nothing invested other than time. The problem i had with pertronix was after a while the pick-up module would quit after it got hot. Then there you are on the phone ordering one and waiting for the man in a brown truck to drop it off. Ford parts are everywhere!!!!!!! Would have used HEI and tried one but the cap will not fit with the aluminum wd-45 or d-17 style distributor housing. Guessing thats why mitch used the delco mag adaptor distributor drive housing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic